International Simulation Football League
Season 1 Free Agency - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Season 1 Free Agency (/showthread.php?tid=1285)

Pages: 1 2

Season 1 Free Agency - dropbear - 06-16-2017

We're only two weeks into the NSFL's inaugural season, and yet there is already a slew of disputes between players and their GM's. With superstar quarterbacks calling for trades, position battles in full swing, and animosity brewing in every corner of the league, it turns out that no time is too soon to start talking about free agency.

So, who are the players up for grabs at the end of the year? Let's break it down by team. I'll list the player's name, their position, how active they are at training based on what beat writers have been saying, and what their current earnings are.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/div]

ARI Arizona Outlaws
Stormblessed (@`DillyDing`) - WR - 91 posts - $1M

BAL Baltimore Hawks
Stephen Harris (@WinstonKodogo) - K/P - 140 posts - $1.5M
Wren Piper (@Bingbongday) - TE - 9 posts - $1.5M

COL Colorado Yeti
Mark Bowden (@neall26) - CB - 1 post - $2M
Granit Lewis (@OwenJH) - WR - 2 posts - $500K
Bill Weller (@Billieck) - TE - 3 posts - $500K
Everest Teagarden (@xfactorx121) - DE - 6 posts - $500K
Rickey Mills (@Bronson) -LB - 4 posts - $500K
Atahualpa Romero (@Atahualpa) - RB - 5 posts - $500K
Barrick Acolyre (@nbomb220) - LB - 1 post $2M

OCO Orange County Otters
Josh Bercovici (@Merica) - QB - 176 posts - $500K
Brandon Walsh (@Copenhagen) - K/P - 15 posts - $3M

SJS San Jose SaberCats
Vick Bowers Jr. (@Bengals1Fan) - RB - 151 posts $2M*
Demetrius Wiley (@:.Elite.:) - RB - 36 posts - $2M*

YKW Yellowknife Wraiths
Josh Garden (@Ballerstorm) - WR - 1338 posts - $500K
Wizard Stephen (@WizardStephen) - WR - 4 posts - $500K
Henri Rivere (@mosacra) - CB - 2 posts - $500K
Pablo Sanchez (@baltimoreravens) - S - 6 posts - $500K
Ryan Ellis (@CampinKiller) - K/P - 5 posts - $2M

*2nd year mutual option

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/div]

If you call yourself a true NSFL fan, there should be one name that catches your eye immediately: Josh Garden. The superstar wide receiver, who many had touted as going first overall in the draft, will no doubt command a huge amount of interest in the NSFL's first ever free agency period. It appears the young receiver was willing to sacrifice any substantial earnings in his first year in the league to ensure he hit the open market as soon as possible.

Most of the names on this list are simply camp bodies -- guys who will have their spots taken by true starters next year after a new wave of rookies hits the league. The entire Yeti free agency list is forgettable, and outside of Josh Garden, no one's going to be interested in what the Wraiths have to offer.

There are three names that are likely going to be stories to follow as the season progresses: Josh Bercovici, Vick Bowers Jr., and Stormblessed. Quarterback Josh Bercovici is at the centre of a heated quarterback battle with rivals/teammates Mike Boss and Ethan Hunt. While Bercovici has been given the nod by the team's GM after two poor showings from Boss, the debacle is not likely to have inspired confidence in the franchise for the youngster, and with the other two QB's on long-term deals, it's likely that Bercovici walks at the end of the season.

Vick Bowers Jr. is an interesting case. Despite being the clear #1 back, Bowers is seeing an unusual amount of carries taken away by second-stringer Demetrius Wiley, who is himself a potential free agent at the end of the year -- both he and Bowers Jr. have a mutual option for an additional contract year. The SaberCats GM's were clever to include the clause in both contracts, as it allows them to potentially keep one (or both) superstar running back while letting the other go with no disputes. However, should they not manage the situation in the backfield well, the mutual options may come back to bite them, and they may find themselves without a running back heading into the season two draft.

Finally, we have the player with possibly the coolest name in the league: Stormblessed. While he is likely to be overshadowed by fellow wide receiver Josh Garden, Stormblessed is no slouch, and he is primed to draw interest from a number of teams looking to put more weapons around their quarterbacks. That being said, Arizona will have the fewest free agents heading into the offseason, so the team's GM's will have plenty of money to play with should they want to keep their receiver around.

That's it for today's analysis. Keep an eye on the names above throughout the season, but perhaps more importantly, keep an eye on the guys on your team who could potentially be replaced by them. With a number of big-name players hitting free agency at season's end, it's never too soon to start hanging the prospect of being replaced over the head of some of your under-performers.

Code:
832 words - ready for grading

Season 1 Free Agency - Merica - 06-16-2017

I will lead the Otters to the championship and promptly leave in free agency.

(06-16-2017, 11:09 PM)Merica Wrote:I will lead the Otters to the championship and promptly leave in free agency.

Any early favourites for your new destination?

(06-16-2017, 01:12 PM)BenLongshaw Wrote:Any early favourites for your new destination?

The NFL.

Season 1 Free Agency - RainDelay - 06-16-2017

It's worth noting that Vincent Sharpei will not be departing in free agency, but rather in the S2 Draft.

Great article!

(06-16-2017, 11:35 PM)RainDelay Wrote:It's worth noting that Vincent Sharpei will not be departing in free agency, but rather in the S2 Draft.

Great article!

Whoops, thought I had accounted for all the guys claimed off waivers. Thanks man, will update Smile

Season 1 Free Agency - Perkules - 06-16-2017

(06-16-2017, 05:18 AM)Merica Wrote:The NFL.

You would look great in Cleveland

(06-16-2017, 01:39 PM)Perkules Wrote:You would look great in Cleveland

I would be happy to resurrect that team.

Season 1 Free Agency - White Cornerback - 06-16-2017

Great write up man! I'm currently doing a 3 part yearly series on waiver players , any chance you could make this free agency watch a series too?

(06-16-2017, 11:53 PM)Dermot Wrote:Great write up man! I'm currently doing a 3 part yearly series on waiver players , any chance you could make this free agency watch a series too?

Now that I've written this article, a lot of the main work is already done. So I'd just need to add in performances throughout the year for later posts, and that should be pretty easy!

Not sure how regular I'll make it, but you'll definitely see me cover free agents a couple times more before it all starts happening