International Simulation Football League
(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor (/showthread.php?tid=17906)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 01-25-2020

So you think you got what it takes to make it in the NSFL, huh kid? Ahhh (cracks knuckles) (cracks neck) (cracks back) ohhh yeah that feels good. Oh yeah where was I? So you think you got what it takes maggot? Hah just kidding most people around here are pretty nice, especially to the new guys. It's not gonna be easy to make it to the top though. They say showing up is half the battle or something like that. Well not here. Showing up is only like 2 TPE a week, you gotta do more, a lot more. This ain't the NFL where you get a nice payday and you can retire in style. No sir, you're gonna have to work at least one other job if you want to do anything more than ride the bench in the DSFL. Good news is that English or Communications degree you got might actually come in handy cause you're gonna be writing until your fingers bleed. And oh yeah don't expect the team to provide any equipment for you, you'll be buying that shit too. Otherwise you know you can always borrow old man Jenkins jock strap. But if you can get past all that, if you can put it in perspective and keep your eyes on your dream, then my friend I know you'll be a star. So buck up, rook. Get out there, keep grinding and show em what you're made of.

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - RilesMcGiles - 01-26-2020

As a rookie mentor I would help show them the importance of activity. The important stuff is not putting in the giant media entries that earn a lot, but that it is consistency that will add up over time. First things first, I’ll make sure they are set up with all of their accounts. Are they able to log in to the forum okay? Then discord, are they in the discord servers? I’ll encourage them to join the main server, the rookie server, and help make sure they get into their team server once they join a team. Then ask them about what do they want out of the league? Do they want to be a star player with stats they can show off (like a QB) or do they want to make sure they always have a home on a team by playing a less common position? Then character creation, they can probably fill out the general info themselves but choosing the archetype and then distributing those first TPE will be unfamiliar. Personally, since I’m also basically a rookie I will ask for help from a vet at their chosen position, but I can at least help make sure it is all formatted correctly. After all that it’s about going through the rookie guide checklist. Helping them through each of those will get them used to some of the league basics (update page especially). I would also show them the bank and make sure they understood how that all works. Lastly I would give them their daily/weekly checklist. Daily items would be tweeting and the predictions. Weekly ones would include stuff like trainings, point tasks, and the update page. They can choose how much of that stuff they want to participate in, but at least having the list will hopefully encourage frequent activity, which breeds TPE, which breeds retention in the league.

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - 124715 - 01-26-2020

Since I have multiple seasons of experience as not just a rookie mentor, but also the head rookie mentor, I'm not going to exactly answer the question. Everyone knows some of the process of rookie mentoring - approving builds, answering questions, etc. My ideal rookie experience would be to have some sort of website or spreadsheet, which would be easier to design, and of which prototypes and fragments already exist, where a rookie could simply press numbers or buttons and watch their player develop. At the end of the process, a perfectly formatted player page is outputted. If everything was ideal, it'd be a website and completion of the process would result in automatic posting of the player topic. However, such a tool would be difficult to construct and implement, and because of this, I would like to see a spreadsheet allowing for selection of positions and archetypes and attributes. The crucial difference is how this system is proactive, whereas the current system is reactive - a rookie only receives help if they struggle in player creation. Now, this seems negligibly different from the existing player builder, but I propose it would be merged with an automatic updater, as updating is the second-most difficult part of mentoring. I envision a tool that leads a rookie through the hardest parts of player progression on their own time, making everything easier.

Code:

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - Ryan0413 - 01-26-2020

PBE PT

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - moonlight - 01-26-2020

Franklin Armstrong is playing in his 4th season as the starting quarterback for the Orange County Otters. He considers himself an NSFL veteran and decided he wanted to give back to the next class of quarterbacks going into the NSFL. He organized a short minicamp for upcoming quarterbacks which he called the “Armstrong Passing Academy”. In this camp, rookies are shown how to interpret an NSFL playbook, they are taken through drills and even given financial management workshops. The idea behind this camp was to stabilize and anchor future NSFL quarterbacks and give them the tools to succeed both on the field and off the field.

“I just wanted to give back man” said Franklin Armstrong in yesterday’s press conference. “I was one of those quarterbacks who had time to develop and learn behind an established NSFL quarterback. In this day and age, young quarterbacks are being thrust into the starting role earlier and earlier in their development. Sadly, this leads to players who should probably develop more being beaten and downtrodden before they have a chance to maximize their potential. In my draft class, none of the quarterbacks selected before me or after me have made it into the league and most have retired already. I don’t really want to see that happen for future quarterbacks in this league”.

Jay Cue was one of those quarterbacks who attended Armstrong’s passing academy and he’s off to a flying start, leading his Outlaws team to a 3-0 start.

Code:
247 words

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - mrmouseman - 01-26-2020

Being a rookie can be one of the most stressful and confusing times of a player’s life, as it might feel like one misstep can affect the rest of your career. As a rookie mentor, the first thing that I would do is first sit down with my rookies and make sure that they know a few important things:

1. You will NOT be able to win every game. Period. Sometimes, you will even be on the losing side of a blowout. When those losses do come, learn from them. Use them as fuel to motivate yourself to get better, but do NOT let them get to you.

2. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Yes, even the ridiculous ones. Everyone has been there, and they know that there is a lot to learn about this league. Add in the pressure of making a name for yourself, and you may feel like one stupid question can change the way people look at you. Here’s a tip- it won’t. That’s why we have rookie mentors, and you shouldn’t hesitate to ask a teammate for help if that makes you feel more comfortable.

3. Your time will come… in a good way! You might start slow or not stick out immediately, but if you put in the work, good things will happen! Set a goal for yourself and even if it requires working just a little bit every day, it’ll be worth it in the end!

4. And finally, as cheesy as it sounds, have some fun. Be active in the clubhouse and get to know your teammates, participate in activities, and don’t take anything too seriously. Most of the fun you will have and most of the memories that will come out of your time in this league will be created off the field, so try to get ahead of the curve and start making them now!

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - TomHanks - 01-26-2020

The first thing to learn is to get in the discord. The community is the best part of this league, so making sure you take full advantage of that is step one. Step two is to make sure your update is formatted well. Our updaters work very hard, and having a messy update page or broken links makes their lives a hell of a lot more difficult. Knowing where to apply TPE by position is a great skill too. Once you have that sorted, you have to learn how to earn TPE. First thing is always get your activity checks in. It’s the absolute easiest way to earn TPE by logging in once a week and putting your player name (or anything) on the correct post. Second easiest is training. Training is the best bang for you buck money to TPE wise, so if you’re struggling for funds, make sure to save it for training. Next is equipment. It’s also a money for TPE exchange, and is a great use of extra money. After that, you want to go to point tasks. On there is a list of tasks where if you complete them, you’ll earn TPE. To claim TPE for those tasks, you have to wait for it to be graded. When that’s done, it will be posted on the claim thread. The post on that is what you use to claim the TPE.

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - speculadora - 01-26-2020

I would chose to mentor Alyx Sabor, a fellow wide receiver who was drafted to the Myrtle Beach Buccaneers. There are some differences in our play styles - his is more geared toward the big play, mine toward consistency - but looking back on my rookie season, I think having someone to show me some different tips and tricks would have been helpful. If I'd been able to learn from someone like Errol Maddox or Rod Tidwell, I think that my transition would have gone a lot smoother. I made out alright on my own, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't pass my knowledge down to the next generation. So rather than walking him through the ins and outs of the leagues or teams, I would want to just go through a workout and give him some advice from one receiver to another. I might not be on the level of some of the best receivers in the league, but I think I would have some useful things to say nonetheless. If I have anything going for me it's sure handedness, and I think that would be a big thing to gain for a receiver who can get open to make the big play. Because you still have to make the catch once you get open.

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - JaytheGreat - 01-26-2020

As a mentor the first thing I want to get across to my rookie is how much different the NSFL is compared to any other football league. They might have played in the NCAA, DSFL, or some different league, but this one is an entirely different monster. You have to give it your all in everything you do, including conditioning, training, practicing, and playing the game. The name of the game is dedication, if that fire burns inside of you, you will do great, if not your just another player that will never live up to their potential. From now on the person you line up against whether it be in practice or in a game is a professional, so you won't be able to get by them on skill alone. You'll need to prefect your technique and expand on others if you want to make an impact on the league. If I'm your mentor that will mean your a Wraith which means you're one of the best players around, now you just have to go out and prove it. There's a lot of time to show the rookie around the area but if my rookie wants to make his name right away, he needs to focus on getting better. No thanks needed, I just want my rookie to remember when he makes it to the Hall of Fame, who got him started on the journey there.

(S20) - PT1 - Rookie Mentor - ckroyal92 - 01-26-2020

PBE PT 16-2