International Simulation Football League
(S22) - Ultimus Week - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S22) - Ultimus Week (/showthread.php?tid=22426)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

(S22) - Ultimus Week - FleshBagSoup - 05-30-2020

PBE PT

(S22) - Ultimus Week - 2Burkeulosis - 05-30-2020

Task 2
Let me set the stage for you. It’s late January 2037. In other words it’s the S21 Ultimus Bowl. Cooter Bigsby just threw a dime to a wide open Orion Drake for a twenty five yard touchdown and the crowd goes mild? How come that in the final minutes of the most important game of the year, after such a huge play, the stadium is almost silent. Before I answer that question let’s take a look at how both of these two teams got here.

The Yellowknife Wraiths After falling to the Austin Copperheads in the previous years Ultimus Bowl The Wraiths were gearing up for another playoff run. They got off to a bit of an awkward spot losing basically every odd numbered week but they got on a hot streak in their final few weeks of the season winning three of their last four games. Clinching the final wild card spot with a 7-6 record in the process. Their Wild Card game saw the Wraiths travel to the mile high city to take on the Colorado Yeti. Cooter Bigsby absolutely dismantled the Yeti defense throwing for 286 yards and 3 touchdowns by the end of the day. Two of his receivers had over 100 receiving yards and Mathias Hanyadi had over 100 rushing yards on 21 carries. Their Divisional game against the Baltimore Hawks saw more of the same. Again Cooter Bigsby looked unstoppable and again Mathias Hanyadi rushed for over 100 yards. The defense also stepped their game up with Mervin Leonard scoring a touchdown. The Hawks did have a last minute score but all that did was make the final score look a little bit more respectable at 19-24.

The Wraiths had once again reached the Ultimus but this time their Opponents would be the New Orleans Second Line whose season could not have been more different than the Wraiths. The Second Line opened to an impressive nine game winning streak. The streak ended rather abruptly however as they proceeded to lose the final four games of the season causing them to lose their first round bye to the Orange County Otters. Their Wild Card game saw them go up against the reigning champion Copperheads. While the Wraiths had mainly relied on their qb to score points the Second Line leaned on their two Running backs Forrest Gump and Marcella Toriki in order to score. This combined with the defense’s five sacks allowed the Second Line to edge out a 23-17 victory. Advancing to the semi finals Stan Francisco and his receivers stepped up when he was needed the most throwing for over 300 yards and two touchdowns. The Orange County Otters weren’t going down without a fight. Especially not their defense that managed to rack up 4 sacks and an int. They managed to force the game into an overtime shootout. New Orleans got the ball first and kicked a field goal giving the Otters offense just one shot to score a game winning touchdown. A Mason Blaylock sack and a dropped pass sealed Orange County’s fate and sent New Orleans to the Ultimus.

So now here we are at the Ultimus Bowl. On one side you had the Yellowknife Wraiths who through grit and determination clawed their way into a playoff spot and then absolutely dominated in the postseason. On the Other hand the New Orleans Second Line coasted through most of their regular season before ending it on a four game losing streak. They didn’t let that get them down however. They bested some stiff competition and barely scraped into the finals. So how does this story end. Well First New Orleans scored a touchdown. Then they scored a second touchdown, then they capped off the first half with a field goal. On the other side of things the Wraiths high flying offense that had looked so indestructible in the postseason was crashing and burning. By half time Cooter Bigsby had only completed half of his passes for less than 60 yards and Mathias Hanyadi had only 10 yards to his name. Nothing could get this offense fired up. They couldn’t even capitalize on Maurice Virtanen’s touchdown stealing interception. The second half saw more of the same. The second half saw more of the same The Wraiths offense had been completely neutralized meanwhile Stan Francisco and Marcella Toriki were having one of the best games of their careers and Forrest Gump proved he was just as deadly a receiver as he was a running back. By the time of the infamous bot fumble things seemed pretty clear. For a second time in a row the Wraiths had made it all the way to the championships just to come up short. That’s why Orion Drake’s last minute touchdown catch was met with underwhelming applause. By that point the game was pretty much decided and those points only served
to make the final score a little less lopsided. Thus ends the tale of the S21 NSFL league.

832 words

(S22) - Ultimus Week - golden_apricot - 05-30-2020

T5?:

So he Colorado jetty are coming a title season in which we took home the title after a big third-quarter in which we were down 21 to 3 and in doing this we sealed the last pick in the draft what this means is that people have built the first and last pick in the first round of this year's draft and with those pics we are going to look to get the impact players that can help us in the future as we lose some older aging people and I think we should be fine at that point. So we are going to end up losing our quarterback in the short-term but we already have a replacement in line for him so we should be good by the time Wolfie retires to actually still be able to be somewhat competitive on the field. What we need to do is ensure that our defense is still as good as it was this season for the foreseeable future as we have some agent players back there so in this crap I need to focus on both getting the defense as good as we can for the future while also in the off-season mentioning a defense we have now through contact resigning and a continuation of being the best locker room in the league. If you can do these things we should at least be able to compete in the foreseeable future as the rest of the squad looks pretty solid Young Guns at wide receiver and running back in addition to that we have some of the best special teams in the league with a kicker who has already won two titles with his leg than there is in addition to the other title where his team just dominated I think the yeti are in a good place and with some good drafting up ahead they should be able to create a dynasty with what they have and with what they are looking to pick up for the future but with a focus on defense, the squad should be one that the league is afraid to play weekend and week out. The only other thing we could do to make the team any better would be to get rid of our two shity GM's and if we are able to do that we should be in a great spot moving forward as we will have GM's that are more than willing to kick field goals on first down as the best kicker in the league has asked them multiple times to do and they have refused

T6?:

So when I started with this player I had almost no expectations for being anywhere near a returning player I just wanted to come in and see what the leak was like having said that at this point I have far exceeded my own expectations or how I expected his career to go it has been more than great having won a title Apple the highest level and two at the lower level. And in those title games I have kicked the game-winning point in all of them granted and the second one that point came in the first quarter, but aside from that I have done incredibly well wait and games kicking field goals to win and I might have ice water in my veins. It is shocking to me that other teams have not come in to offer for the great leg of the sofa banana man and this is something I would expect teams to start to do more and more in the future as although I am not a max earning kicker I am still one of the best the league has ever seen. The next in my career is to continue to bug the gms about finding a way to force the Sim to kick field goals on first downs if we can do that I guarantee you that we will be able to when far more games and we have so far we will not be a 7-5 team entering the playoffs, instead of people 12 and 0. At this point one thing that I want to start to see from the naner man is being able to actailly hit long field goals instead of them being almost an auto miss. This would be a great help to the team and to my players career as we begin to move forward. In addition to this I think that we can start to challenge for some awards, and if I survive long enough maybe I can get into the conversation as a HOF kicker, that would require probably a few more awards than the DSFL best punter award, and maybe a few more titles, but with some good team play and career longevity, I think that I should eb able to make a case for one fof theb best kikcers in this generation of NSFL kickers, which is more than I could have asked for.

(S22) - Ultimus Week - s4ndr0p - 05-30-2020

4)
In this part of the Point task I wanted to focus on the very interesting season of our new Ultimus champions, the Colorado Yeti. The Yeti' season was particularly interesting because the Yeti effectivly had 3 Streaks. They started out the season the strongest among the league by far, had a long and surprising losing streak to then bounce back to make their playoff run. Obviously the win streak at the end of the season continued into the playoffs to secure the trophy.
The Yeti started the season with a 5-0 streak. They mangaged to defeat the wraiths in week 1, the liberty week 2, one the new expansion franchise (the sailfish) in week 3, the butchers in week 4 and the hawks in week 5.
Let's be honest, the teams the yeti had to face do not wow you very much now, since all of them except for the wraiths ended up missing the playoffs, nonetheless these wins were very important. they ended this streak with a point differential of 114-49 so they literally outperformed their rivals with double the points.
After that the Yeti lost surprisingly last second to my arizona outlaws. After that they had to face the Orange County Otters, a game that you can lose (honestly most people expect you to lose against the otters). Another surprise came in week 8 when the yeti lost to the second expansion team the honolulu hahalua. Not only did they lose, they also got shutdown in a low scoring 0-14 week 8 matchup.
In Week 9, the wraiths wanted a rematch and destroyed the Yetis. The wraiths obviously improved a lot throughout the season and won in a dominant fashion against the colorado yeti. The wraiths outscored the yeti with 3 scores. After that the yeti went a bit up-and-down in their last couple of matchups but they also were not too worried of missing the playoffs after winning against the liberty. Ultimately, they ended the season with 8-5.
In the first game of the playoffs the yeti had to face the sarasota sailfish once again. The last two time they met they went 1-1. Should be a fun matchup right? The Colorado rushing offense just DESTROYED the sailfish. 3 TDs with over 200 yards, that's pretty impressive. For the Championship the Yeti had to face the wraiths once again. This matchup got really interesting and boy, it was intense. The Yeti ultimately ended up winning the championship game by just 1 point. This might have been a sign of what to come in the ultimus. The Yeti somehow pulled off a 21-3 comeback to end the game against the orange county otters with a 25-24. The Yeti season really was an intense up and down roller coaster ride and it was amazing!
465words

I want to dedicate this task to one of my fantasy football work horses of this past season: Cooter Bigsby. Bigsby might actually be one of the more underrated NSFL Quarterbacks in the past few years, this year though he was at the top of his game all season long. Just recently Bigsby was nominated for the S22 Pro Bowl as the second Quarterback of the NSFC. Now for his case to become the QBOY, let us take a look at his stats this season. Bigsby is the Touchdown leader in the NSFL's 22th season. He led the league with 29 touchdown, which averages 2,2 Touchdowns per game. This might very likely have been the key factor to the very successful yellowknife wraith's season. That gets even more impressive when you consider the type of offense the wraiths were running this season. The wraiths have two really good runningbacks in mathias hanyadi and acura skyline. Hanyadi rushed for over 1200 yards, skyline for over 900 and 16 combined touchdowns. I think it shows how efficient Bigsby was in the redzone, capitalizing these yards for touchdowns when the defenses have to predict a strong rushing game. Bisgby used the situation in yellowknife perfectly to his advantage: He converted most of his redzone trips into touchdowns and was also able to get on the horse when needed to rush for a first down, ultimately resulting in 100 rushing yards.
Another factor of the success of Bigsby was, of course, one of the best receiver in the NSFL: Nate Swift. Swift and Bigsby had an outstanding connection in this past season, connecting for 11 passing touchdowns. You do not want to think Bigsby built his success on this elite receiver: he distributed the ball really well, ultimately ending the season with 4 receivers with around 500 or more yards.
Bigsby ended the season in the top 3 of the (maybe most-) important categories for Quarterbacks: Yards (3rd with 3213yards), QB Rating (2nd with 93.6) and, like I mentioned, leading the league in touchdowns with 29 while also only throwing 8 Interceptions. The least interceptions thrown by a QB this year were 7(!). Bigsby therefore not only threw the most tds, he nearly threw the least amount of interceptions.
Bigsby showed improvement in his efficiency after coming out of a strong year in S21 where he led the league in passing yards. He raised his passing touchdowns from 20 while only throwing 1 more INT.
I think bigsby really proved himself as a top QB in the NSFL. Bigsby did not have the pleassure to have won an award yet and I think after this season it's is time to do just that.
Thanks for my 1# place in fantasy football, Cooter!
458words

(S22) - Ultimus Week - BRNXB0MBERS - 05-30-2020

4) Seeming to always come up short, the Yellowknife Wraiths once again dominated in the regular season. They scored the most points (406) and gave up the fewest (196). No other team topped 370 points or held other teams to less than 208. Yellowknife cruised to the number one seed in the NSFC, but they lost in the conference championship to the Colorado Yeti. So, what happened?

The season started bumpy with an opening loss at Colorado, 34-12. Overall, the offense played respectably, but all of their scoring drives stalled and end with a Dougie Smalls field goal. The pick six in the second quarter certainly didn’t help. Even with that disappointment, the Wraiths were not discouraged. Maybe they just needed to shake of some rust.

Starting with a 44-3 dismantling of the Sarasota Sailfish at home, the Wraiths went on a six game winning streak. That first game highlighted the offensive talent across the board. Cooter Bigsby had 300 yards and two TDs. In addition to his two receiving TDs, Mathias Hanyadi contributed 88 yards on the ground with one TD. Hanyadi also got vulture by Acura Skyline (28 yards and 2 TDs). Smalls played well too: 5/5 on XP and 3/3 on FG. Don’t forget about the defense though. Led Grithead (11 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, one pass defended) and rookie Hellazpoppin (four tackles, one interception, one pass defended), the Yellowknife defense combined for five tackles for loss, four sacks, seven passes defended, and one interception. The Wraiths never looked back after their opening drive touchdown.

After continuing their winning ways against Chicago, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Honolulu, and San Jose, the Wraiths dropped a nail biter at home against the defending champion New Orleans Second Line. Yellowknife jumped out to an early lead behind two Dougie Smalls FGs in the first quarter. Following an early second quarter passing TD from Stan Francisco, the Wraiths answered with another FG to take a 9-7 halftime lead. The back and forth game continued with two Marcella Toriki TDs for New Orleans with a Cooter Bigsby passing TD in between. Smalls hit another FG with 5 minutes left, but it proved to be too little too late. Yellowknife got the ball back after a Grithead forced fumble and recovery. Unfortunately, they were unable to do anything with the ensuing drive, ending with a 3-and-out.

Back to their winning ways in week 9, they avenged their week 1 loss to Colorado. They beat Sarasota again, shutout Chicago on the road, beat down Baltimore, and ended the season with a great win over Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, their regular season success did not carry them through the playoffs. Maybe next year.
Code:
444 words

6) It’s been a rough couple of season in Arizona. After a 3-10, last place finish in S21, the Arizona Outlaws improved to 4-8-1 in S22. But, the future is bright! We are loaded with young talent, have playmakers at every position, and are run by two of the best GMs you can imagine.

First, let’s highlight some great performances in S22. Superstar QB Jay Cue led the league with 3429 passing yards. He added 15 TDs and ended with an above average rating of 79.7. Pairing up with Cue is Saba Donut. He led the league with 1191 receiving yards while hauling in 5 TDs. With 7 rushing TDs and nearly 1000 yards, our rookie RB, Baby Yoda, will be a yearly contender for the Pro Bowl. On the defensive side of the ball, rookie S Stan Koniecpolski was top-5 in tackles with 120 and forced multiple turnovers. The team also put up a huge number of sacks, led by Pete “Plop” Miller with 12 (2nd in the league) and Galf Wilf with 9 sacks. Now, don’t forget everyone’s favorite rookie, Zamir Kehla, who had 4 interceptions, 12 passes defended, and a league leading 2 TDs. If that’s not Defensive Rookie of the Year material, I don’t know what is.

So, why did I spend so much time talking about past performances in a question asking about the future? It’s simple. The Arizona Outlaws do not have a single player in regression. At the same time, the ASFC powerhouses of the Orange County Otters, New Orleans Second Line, and Austin Copperheads had 8, 7, and 9 players regress this offseason. The San Jose Sabercats (two players) and Honolulu Hahalua (five players) also had some regression. Not only are our studs getting better, the other teams are losing talent. That’s a perfect recipe for future success.

How about those GMs? Unicorn, a three year veteran of the league, and Isidore, an S22 rookie, make for a perfect combination of experience, fresh ideas, expertise, and excitement. They have done a great job of drafting and keeping talent while also trading for more draft picks. The locker room is active and fun. The level of engagement is far above previous levels. With their insight, planning, and dedication, this team won’t be able to be stopped when it starts rolling. When our championship window opens in the next season or two, I don’t expect it to ever close.

The future is bright in AZ! #SunsOutGunsOut
Code:
411 words

(S22) - Ultimus Week - JKortesi81 - 05-30-2020

Long Form for 10 TPE:

When given the opportunity to choose something about the NSFL that interests me, the first thing that immediately came into my mind is tampering. I think it’s fair to say that this is a league issue that’s hotly debated all over the community. Should it be legal? Should we make it more strict? What’s the right answer for it?

In my opinion, we need to find a middle ground. Hot take, I know. You can’t strip the league of tampering completely, because I fear that while most people would do it privately, some would just constantly post on the boards “OMG FUCK TEAM X COME TO MY TEAM YOURE BETTER THAN THEM”. It’s sad that I think that way, but it’s even more sad that you can see that happening too. As a result, the boards have the potential to be a lawless, toxic wasteland with arguments happening everywhere. So that answer isn’t found in a “No Holds Barred” thunder dome atmosphere.

Tampering as it is now, is over the top. People are losing their chances at becoming a GM simply for making jokes. Head Office, and the appeals committee that will undoubtedly hear from the offender, are a bit tied because the rules are pretty black and white on this. And with the ever looming specter of precedent being there, the punishment will be the same for someone that says “come play with us” as opposed to someone that literally offers a 5 year, $10 million a season contract illegally. Those aren’t the same things, and it’s a shame that they get treated as such.

It isn’t fair to our player base that they have to feel like they’re always on their toes. Tampering is almost used as a weapon for some, as though they could blackmail a person with it, or even worse straight up try to get them fired. And don’t think people aren’t that petty in this league. There was one instance where someone screenshotted someone in a discord FROM ANOTHER LEAGUE saying “come join us” to another NSFL player who was on their team in that league. They tried to use that screenshot saying the person was tampering. No, the person was asking them to join the fun voice chat they were in. Had nothing to do with tampering or NSFL or anything. And that’s the world we live in right now. Some petty people will use tampering as a weapon! The fact that two people in the league who are on different teams can’t even say to one another “oh man we should play together someday” without having the feeling that they may get tampering penalties is wrong. We should have some freedoms in the NSFL.

So how do we go about that? What is the middle ground that can prevent serious tampering, but can let others breathe a little bit easier? Here’s what I would do:

First thing I’d do is completely eliminate the punishments from being black and white. The biggest problem here is how hamstrung those that decide on the punishments are. Yes, when the league was younger and tampering was much more of an issue, this is how it needed to be. But now that we’ve grown into a league of pretty awesome people and we’re much more of a community who has found its way, we can loosen things up a bit.

Second thing I’d then do is point out that the punishments will be reviewed on a case by case basis. For tampering, honestly, fuck precedence. We need a clean slate. Nobody should get in that much trouble for making a joke. Honestly, it should just be a slap on the wrist where they get a warning. If someone creates a history of “jokes” that becomes more than a joke? Well, then we can take the punishment up a notch or two. The worst take a community can have is that all punishments must be equal. Every case is a different scenario. Yes, repeat offenders should be punished harsher than others. And no, just because it’s someone’s ‘first time’ doesn’t mean they should get off easier if they tampered to the extreme.

The people in Head Office and the Appeals Team aren’t looking to ruin anyone’s lives. And they fact that they’re a diverse group with different ways of thinking should dispel any notion that “Oh this person in HO doesn’t like the offender, so THAT’S why they gave them a horrible punishment.”. The idea that everyone on those committees would universally be like “oh, you hate so and so? Yeah, let’s smack them around then.” is crazy talk. They do, however, have a job to do. And the current way we do things really handcuffs them from doing that job. All they’re pretty much allowed to do at this point is treat every instance the same and give the same punishment to everyone. That isn’t how things should work here either.

Tampering is absolutely one of the most hotly debated topics we have in the NSFL. Everyone has an opinion on it. While we can’t eliminate it completely, we definitely need to consider changing how its currently being punished. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. (870)

(S22) - Ultimus Week - IthicaHawk - 05-30-2020

Task 3:

Hello. My name is Hamish MacAndrew and I am a stats addict. You might have seen some of my posts during the season where I tracked Elo for every team and every match of the season. Or my breakdown of every score in the NSFL ever to create a Scorigami table. And finally, I pulled a number of statistics together to produce a deep dive chart party-esque video about the greatest team in NSFL history which you can watch here.

Obviously these all took quite some work in building the sheets, testing them, putting in the data and so on so why did I do it?

I find statistics quite interesting. It's really that simple. That and I like a challenge and developing the sheets, scripts and methods to improve my workflow for generating regular content was an interesting project.

Statistics can tell a story. For the video on the season 9 New Orlean Second Line, for example, I didn't set out to make that video. I started by just noticing I could use a script to pull box scores from the NSFL index by scraping the contents of the tables from each season. Not only would it give me the scores but it would give me quarter by quarter scores including overtime.

This was originally just intended to get me all the box scores to generate my Scorigami table but, once I saw the extent of the stats I could pull I spent some time organising things on each sheet to include further information.
For example, it was reasonably trivial to calculate a point differential for each team in a match. I could total up how many points a team scored not only per season but per quarter per season. The same applied for points against. Once I had the template for one season it was a simple matter to import the same data for each subsequent season until I had all the data for every game ever played.

Of course, data is just data and it isn't interesting in and by itself. Once you start sorting things, highlighting outlayers and stuff, then you start to see a story emerge. For example, look at this image:
[Image: JhmKlMz.png]
This shows the total points for, points against and the difference between those two values that each team has had in every season. I set up some conditional formatting to highlight each teams highest and lowest values and already we see some interesting things emerging. Season 9 New Orleans started to jump out at me here as we can see they had the best offense and best defence at the same point, something that's only happened twice. Conversally, we can see that the Copperheads in their opening season managed to have both worst offence and worst defence at the same time, no one else has managed that. I'm sure another story exists there too.
Or what about the season 7 Yeti who scored just 137 points while allowing over 500. That's the worst delta ever, what happened there?

We can take these stats and we can change the way we interpret the data and see what comes out. Sometimes it's surprising how interesting it can be.

For example, did you know that most teams do their best in Q2 out of all other quarters? Look here:
[Image: EwHzBF0.png]

That's 7/10 (these stats only go up to the start of S22 FYI) teams that score more in Q2 than any other quarter. I wonder why that is. It can be quite extreme the difference, Outlaws for example score nearly 300 points more in Q2 than any other quarter. Why do they love Q2 so much? Same with the Otters. Here's another fun fact, only Hawks and Otters have scored more than 2000 points in every quarter (except overtime obviously).

We can do things like find out the best quarter for each team in a single season:
[Image: Okncor2.png]
Only Hawks control two of the quarters having scored more in Q1 and Q4 than anyone else in a season. Otters, usually at the top of these sorts of lists control no quarters. Slackers.
Meanwhile poor Butchers control 3 of the 3 worst season quarter performances.

We can go deeper and start pulling entire seasons worth of player stats. For example, during the production of my S9 NOLA video I pulled all passing stats for all seasons as well as rushing/defense stats for S9 specifically. I didn't pull all seaons for these because, well, that's a heck of a lot of data to pull and I was focusing on one particular season by that point but I might pull it all in the future, see what pops out.

Here's a nice chart of the S9 rushing performances for 1000 yard rushers:
[Image: PJ4TpuL.png]
Again, I think we can see the formation of some stories. Look at New Orleans vs Arizona for example. Similar total yards, similar average but what a difference in TDs. Second worst only to the SaberCats who were pretty garbage that season.

These are just some of the charts and tables I've produced in my spreadsheets. I pull data, compare, contrast and have a look and see if it tells a story. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I find this interesting and I hope you do too.

875 words. Unless you believe the old adage that a picture is worth 1000 words in which case it's 4875 words.

(S22) - Ultimus Week - Briedaqueduc - 05-30-2020

SHL PT

(S22) - Ultimus Week - LimJahey - 05-30-2020

8) With me being a newbie in sim leagues as a whole this year, I came in late with a lot of other players in the giant S22 draft class. When I first joined I was unsure about how long or comitted I was going to end up being in this league. When I first joined I was kinda confused, I would end up making a character, a tight end from Miami, Von Hayes. I would end up getting caught for juicing before the S22 DSFL draft, but after a short suspension and fix, I was ready to enter the draft. I would get drafted by the Pythons in the S21 DSFL draft, and then by the Butchers in the S22 NSFL Draft. While I was on the Pythons roster, I wasn't in their discord, I must have lost the link or message for it, so I didn't really get to know anyone or meet anyone. When I got drafted by the Butchers, I joined a lockerroom of a team that knew they were going to be bad, but they didn't care, everyone had a goal in mind, and a positive mindset, and knew that we were on a rebuilding team. The GM's of the Butchers, Bayley and Muford both had loads of experience in sim leagues and were more than willing to share all their knowledge. Since the Butchers were in the middle of rebuilding, there really were not a lot of guys from previous seasons, I believe there were only three or four really active teammates from previous years, but they were all really cool and unique in their own way. Blueline was a massive earner, and was really good with gfx, he made a template that the two GMs would use to give out performances of the week for. CDub2 is an old man who hates Dill Pickles, and then there is HalfEatenOnionBagel. HEOB might be the nicest person I've met this league, and that isn't me calling other people rude, he's just that good of a guy and is always getting people involved. The Butchers S22 draft class was a weird one in the sense that we did not get a lot of early round talent. The Butchers only had two picks in the first 6 rounds, and one was spent on picking up our gm, bayley. Where the draft class is weird, is in the sense that the Butchers would hit on almost every draft pick, we would get our runningback of the future in indonesianhusker, our league elo statician and safety IthicaHawk, our kicker Evok, along with our future cornerback, TheCC selected in the late 11th round. We also have juicychase grinding as a defensive lineman, there are just so many pieces here that have formed into an incredible lockerroom, and a team that will develop into a contender in a few years. I would not trade away anyone in our lockerroom *other than Bayley cause he likes pineapple on pizza, they are all unique in their own way and everyone wants the team to succeed, and I have fully bought into this league now, holding a gfx job and grinding on articles and other forms of media. I'm happy I found this league, it is a great place to bullshit around and meet some awesome people. So after my first year in the league, I would say that I am fully comitted to continuing my journey here.

6) When I first joined the league I didn't know a whole lot about all of the teams. I knew a little about the DSFL teams because I was looking at them to see who I could be drafted by, and never really looked into any of the teams in the NSFL. After most of the DSFL season had ended, I started getting scouted by multiple teams, and poked around each team to see what they looked like. One of the teams that investigated me was Chicago. I had nothing against the team, but the city of Chicago fucking sucks lmao, so when I interviewed with them, I didn't think I would get drafted by them, simply because I said their city sucked. On draft night as I watched more and more players get drafted, I did not know where I would end up landing, I would end up getting a call late in the tenth round, from Chicago. They drafted me at 114th overall, and while it was unexpected for me, I was ready and excited to finally have a roster spot in the NSFL. When I first got to Chicago and started learning about the team, I realized that I was on a team that was in the process of a complete rebuild from the ground up. Chicago also had a reputation being the butt end of a lot of jokes, but I didn't care, I wanted to succeed and see my team succeed, I have faith in the GMs and teammates that they will do what is necessary to turn this franchise around. In the S22 draft, Chicago was in a bad spot, only having 2 picks in the first 6 rounds, one being spent on the GM. Normally this would end up as a bad draft class, which would be even worse because of the insane talent and size of the S22 class. But everyone has been working, everyone in the class has been grinding away and improving, all of these late rounds were gems. Even though the S22 season was a wash, a 1-12 season, everyone is in a positive mood. The future for Chicago is looking bright, we have a young and talented team who is hungry, and who wants to succeed, and we have two GMs with loads of experience and who are doing their best to improve the team. So to end my thoughts, I believe that in 2-3 years, Chicago is going to be going to the playoffs, and could even win an Ultimus.

(S22) - Ultimus Week - CDub2 - 05-30-2020

Tier 1 - Prompt 3

Well, this is a nice prompt. I can write about whatever I like and there are a couple things I've had strong feelings about in this league since I joined in S4. I've had my tirade against position changes in the past, and I still feel like position change should be extremely limited. So S to CB makes sense and vise versa. S to LB is reasonable and vise versa. CB to WR is a yes, as well as LB to DE and DE to DT. Where I struggle, is seeing a max earning DL suddenly become a QB because of a team's poor planning to find a replacement QB. We've seen it so many times. A team is just about to enter regression or rebuild and then their GM DL switches to WR or WB or some max impact position. It hurts pretty much every facet of the league, including Free agency, the trade market, and especially the draft. Every draft, we see max earning QBs drop through the draft because they don't want to change position and the GMs would only see value in them if they switched to a position they need. It's very frustrating. But related to this, we've seen free agency become a circle jerk of taking minimum to join a team with your friends or with league officials who give you the most pull or best chance to win. Look through recent contract negotiations of the top teams in the league like NOLA and OCO. Pinpoint one of their players that's above a minimum contract, even though they boast the best players in the game. A couple of seasons ago, NOLA had the league's commissioner and one of the top RBs in the league take a minimum deal. What kind of example does that set that she's taking minimum because she's already rich. Well it keeps the rich teams richer. OCO had DPoTY Lanzer Grievous on their team making 4 million a year. The most valuable defensive player in the league on the league's best team making roughly 5% of the team's salary. Just to compare, Bobby Wagner is almost making 10% of the team's salary cap. Even this year, arguably the leagues best LB and he's making 4 million a year for the next 3 seasons as he's about to enter 1000 TPE. How is that fair? Good players that put up stats on winning teams deserve and should demand big money. The fact that we have leaders in this league taking minimums and abusing the cap makes it okay for everyone else to do it too.

I don't have a great fix besides creating some algorithm to calculate value based on quantitative data like stats and TPE. Based on that, that should determine your minimum and we scale it to NFL standards. So if Mike Hockhertz, my character, is 3rd in the league in tackles, forces 2 fumbles, grabs a couple picks and sacks and has 800 TPE, that should feed into the algorithm to spit out my fair market value of 5.5 mill over 3 years or something like that. If a 800 TPE LB is the 2nd LB on a team and has 80 tackles, no sacks or picks, the algorithm might spit out 4 million with a max length of 2 years or something like that. I'm just spit balling, but I'm sick of these super teams that take advantage of the original league rules to ensure they are always in the playoffs. Now not to knock the Otters, but I don't think they would be the perennial Ultimus favourites if they pay their MVP QB and DPoTY LB fair money. I don't think the NOLA rebuild from Las Vegas would have been as quick if we didn't have Bovovo's magic recruiting powers grabbing all his buddies on minimums to create NOLA as we know it now. And again, nothing to knock OCO and NOLA, they are the best drafters in the league, but I honestly don't think their reign would last as long as it has with an objective value determiner. People talk about not needing the money so they'll take minimums or playing on teams with their friends. Well sadly, in order to increase league parity, we need to take the value of the contract partially out of the user's hands. If they want to play with their friends, or if they are a great LR presence the team wants to keep around, well they have to manage their cap correctly. Even if their bank account is full to the brim, their player should still get paid for the stats they put up. And if the team can't afford to keep them, then that just increases the free agent market, the trade market, and of course put more effort into drafting and scouting. No going to lie, trades, free agency, and drafting (barring league drama and fights) are some of the most entertaining parts of the season. Why not implement changes to make those parts funner, and more fair instead of keeping around an old system that rewards previous dynasties like NOLA and OCO. ~850 words