International Simulation Football League
(S23) - Ultimus Week - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S23) - Ultimus Week (/showthread.php?tid=23669)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

(S23) - Ultimus Week - RussDrivesTheBus - 07-25-2020

Tier 2 - Option 6

The Yellowknife Wraiths are built as well as a team can be built, from top to bottom. They have playmakers in every phase of the game. It comes as a shock to absolutely no one that they secured another Home-Field advantage for this year’s playoffs. This is a surface-level breakdown of why the Wraith’s are going to make another run at the Ultimus this year. Let’s start with the Defense.

Defensive Line
Nero Alexander
James Cho
Patrik Money
Giannis Kroustis

This group is monstrous, too say the least. They were 3rd in the league with a massive 51 combined sacks. Kroustis and Nero bring their vast experience to this foursome, the latter of which is one of the highest TPE-earning players in the league’s history. These veterans mix perfectly with the youth of the S22 combo, creating one of the most-feared D-Lines in the ISFL today.

Linebackers
Maurice Virtanen
Douglas Quaid

This duo is incredible. As a Linebacker myself, I have no choice to be envious of their production and ability. Virtanen has been one of the best LBs in the game for the better part of a decade, and the only reason his production “slowed” this year, is because Quaid absolutely burst onto the scene. He was everywhere! He racked up 13 sacks and 15 Pds; ridiculous totals for an LB. These two will be a potent combo that will anchor the Wraiths for the foreseeable future, and as far as S23, lead them to another championship run.

DBs
Mervin Leonard
Johnny Snuggles
Johnny Hellzapoppin
Chase Jensen
Magnus Valdyr

This secondary did not pick the ball off much this year, but that is not at all indicative of their talent. They were 4 PDs away from the top group in the league, and were incredibly active tacklers. It is a disservice to say that this is the weakest group on the team statistically, but it is technically the truth. That is not an indictment of their abilities. Rather, it speaks more to the overall wealth of quality on the rest of the team.

Kicker/Punter
Dougie Smalls

One of the youngest kickers in the league, Smalls is also one of the best. He only missed 2 Field Goals this year, (1 over 40 yards and 1 over 50) and 1 Extra Point from 39 attempts. If you ask for any more than that, you’re literally demanding perfection. This cat was drafted in S21, so the Wraiths get to sit on this incredible kicking machine for many years to come. His leg is true and his stats are big.

Offense:

Wide Receivers
Bender B. Rodriguez
Action Jackson
Nate Swift
Mike Lee
Willie B. Hardagain

This larger-than-normal receiving corps is a bit top-heavy, but absolutely loaded with talent. Bender and Action combined for almost 2000 yards and 13 TDs; an impressive duo for sure. But, you couldn’t just mark them with your best DBs, because the veteran Swift and youngsters Lee and Hardagain could come through and rack up underneath. This group was the perfect mix of youth, experience, speed and hands to help their grizzled Quarterback stay productive in his twilight seasons.

Quarterback
Cooter Bigsby

Legend. Not only as a player, but as one of the most infamous users in the league today. In an era moving more and more toward the mobile QB, Cooter remains one of the top passers in the league. He has been top 5 in passing yards almost every year he’s played, including multiple passing titles and 4000+ yard seasons. In what may be his final year, Cooter is still standing in the pocket and slingin’ it to his sizeable WR group with solid accuracy and volume. He may not have the zip on the ball he once had, but thanks to the next and final group, he doesn’t have to rely on his arm nearly as much.

Running Backs
Mathias Hanyadi
Acura Skyline

These are the crown jewels. 3,134 combined yards from scrimmage. 24 total touchdowns. Hanyadi was drafted in S18 and Skyline in S22. This is the backfield everyone fears, and almost every team wishes they had. Hanyadi has had multiple seasons where he sniffed the MVP trophy and has played in a number of Ultimus games, all resulting in disappointments. But, the addition of Skyline seems to have driven him to new heights, and renewed his (slightly) waning passion. These two will be a nightmare to play against for at least 4 more seasons, and very well may capture the Ultimus once or twice before it’s all said and done.

Tier 2 - Option 8

San Jose has built an incredibly solid roster, with remarkable youth across the board. With Tyron Brackenridge officially taking his option, he will test Free Agency this offseason. If he were to leave (please don’t), SJS would have 0 active players in regression. CK and Rad have done an incredible job building this team, and the fruits of their labor are coming to bare within the next couple seasons. There are some areas of concern, but with this GM tandem at the helm, you should always assume they have a plan.

Our offense is poised to absolutely break out. Monty has his rookie year out of the way and is ready to blow up secondaries in S24. Lackson showed you his quality in his rookie campaign by racking up over 1200 yards and & TDs. Rando continued to be the “Crash” to what used to be Tyrucker’s “Dash,” adding another 700 yards on the ground. He even showed off in the receiving game this year with over 400 yards! Veteran Receiver DTF is down to fuck your secondary up. He’s also been mentoring young stud Ty Hood, who’s going to have 1000+ yards next season. I GUARANTEE he catches 3+ TDs. And speaking of ballers, did y’all know Leon McDavid led all TEs with 41 pancakes this year? I bet you didn’t. That’s a blocking machine. He also found the endzone 3 times, and will certainly improve that mark with Monty gaining more comfort with the playbook. This offseason is going to allow this incredible young offense to mesh even further and gain that sweeeeeet TPE. You’ve been warned.

Wait a minute. Did I forget to tell you about our front seven? Let me tell you about our front seven. Water Chestnut III; it’s not Walter. He will sack your Quarterback, and wrap your RB up in the backfield like a muscley octopus. Otis Allen is the definition of an unsung hero on this defense and in the league. Homeboy is an absolute boss, who earn’s TPE like it’s his literal job. He’s the second highest TPE DT in the league, and he was drafted in S21! We would have a miserable time generating pressure if he wasn’t around. Speaking of generating pressure, George Fisher absolutely busted ass this year, grabbing 11 sacks! He also added 16 PDs in coverage, proving he has huge value all over the field. Fisher flew under a lot of radars in the S22 draft, but CK’s huge brain saw the potential. Brackenridge has been a force in the league since he was drafted in S17, and while he’ll tell you he wasn’t that great this year, he’s doing himself a disservice. His totals may have been lower than usual this year, but that’s due in part to how well Fisher played. Bass is a good player, and Russ tries his best to be a fun and positive user in the LR. I’m not a self horn tooter.

Now then, let’s talk about DBs. First off, don’t talk shit about Sweets. Poor guy is working his ass off irl during this COVID pandemic. It could’ve happened to anyone. If he ever reads this, I hope he knows we all wish him the best. PickSix is a beast. Say it with your chest haters. He’s well on his way to hitting 1000 TPE and he’s another S21 draftee. He’s driven to become the best CB in the league, and I know he’ll make it a reality. Harris is another baller in the secondary that plays a multitude of positions for us. He dropped a fat update before the end of the season and will drop another before S24 starts. He’s one of four S22 DBs in the squad, so wrap your head around that. Krause is a criminally underrated player and user in the league as a whole. This season he showed flashes of his ability, and with another offseason under his belt, dude is going to show his real ability in S24. Lanier is another player with big potential to be great. He’s had a bit of a slower start, but with the right influences, he’ll get back on the TPE train. CHOO CHOO!!!

DID YOU THINK I WAS GUNNA FORGET ABOUT OUR KICKER??? THE GREAT SCOT?! THE SCOTTISH CYBORG?1 THINK AGAIN! MATTY IS RIDICULOUS. HE’S MISSED 2 KICKS TOTAL IN AS MANY SEASONS. DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW AMAZING THAT IS? PLUS, HE’S A DOPE SIM-TESTER, WHO ISN’T AFRAID TO TRY SOME OUT THERE STRATS TO GET US THAT EDGE. HE’S GOING TO WIN KOTY IN THE NEXT 3 SEASONS AND THAT’S A FACT.

Is there a weakness on this team? Nope. Flawless. Winners everywhere. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - SaborTheWaverunner - 07-25-2020

PBE PT

Task 9-

Well here's an easy one. The greatest quarterback in ISFL history is the one and only Mike Boss. His brilliant statistics are matched only by the incredible team success he found with the Otters. His numbers are unparalleled by any QB ever, being not only the only QB to have a career 60% completion percentage, but also he has the passing TD record by almost 50, which is an obscene margin for a record like that. A 3-time MVP, holding the tied record with Franklin Armstrong, one of the other people you could argue for this spot as Greatest QB to ever do it. He also won 3 Ultimus Championships with the Orange County Otters, and in fact it was a threepeat, establishing himself as perhaps the best to ever do it in Jordan-esque fashion. He also almost led them to the 4th title in a row in Ultimus Bowl VII, which would have ensured his spot. at the top of debates such as these, through pure winning alone. Somehow a mashup of Peyton Manning's regular season dominance, and Tom Brady's brilliant postseason play and leadership, Boss was also a pro-bowler in all but his first season in the league, and was truly dominant in almost all of those years. All these years later, Boss still holds many records, including the touchdowns in a game record, from 2021 when he threw 8 in a game against the Colorado Yeti. His 2021 season still holds as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, seasons of all time by a quarterback ever.

The main argument for another player I might see is current Otters QB Franklin Armstrong, and while saying so might be a bit premature, he's become the league's greatest do it all QB, already tying Boss's MVPs won record at 3, and having 3 rings of his own having won them in his own Otters threepeat. The argument starts to fall apart a bit when you get beyond the accolades and championships, and while Armstrong is ten times the runner Boss ever was, his passing prowess is not near that of his predecessor with the Otters. While Boss played in a different era of the league, and Armstrong plays in a seemingly overall more talented, scrappier league, comparing across eras has to be done, and even if you give Armstrong a point here for the. era difference, Boss's career stands out above the rest of the QBs ever to play the game.

Task 23-

Well this is another easy topic to talk on. Douglas Quaid is easily the playoffs MVP, he had incredible stats in every week of the postseason for the Wraiths, and led them to their Ultimus win, a must have for your postseason MVP. His consistency also wows, as he 8 tackles and 2 sacks in each of the 3 playoff games, leading the Wraiths defensively. Absolute wall-to-wall domination by Quaid during the post season for the world champions leads me to picking them as the MVP of the playoffs.

As far as why Quaid should win. over other candidates, Virtanen had an. incredible last 2 games, but was not on his top game for the first one, Bigsby and the wraiths passing game was not their strength throughout the playoffs, and the same goes for their recieving. corps. Hanyadi had 3 very solid games and put in the absolute work on the. ground for their offense, but failed to ever find paydirt for them, with 3 touchdowns being hawked from him in the Ultimus Bowl itself by Skyline, whose touchdown hawkings may have been the difference between this piece being what it is or being written about Hanyadi, as his games beyond the lack of scoring were phenomenal. All in all, I'm comfortable saying that Douglas Quaid is the right choice for playoff MVP.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - pppaul317 - 07-25-2020

Task 7

Daria Guava-Fresca, the kicker and punter, all things foot and football expert, for the Norfolk Seawolves should win the award for DSFL kicker of the year. She should win it so much that it would feel sort of ridiculous to give the award to anyone else. She leads the DSFL in extra points made and extra point percentage. So she is both holding up a great team who’s making lots of touchdowns and also being the best free kick kicker. That is pretty solid. She also leads the human league in field goals made with 25 and leads the human league in field goal percentage. Interesting to note here that a bot, B. Bilbo for Tijuana, beat Daria Guava-Fresca for these categories. They are juicing em, or oiling em. As for distance, Daria Guava-Fresca made most of her field goals from pretty dang far away. The bulk of them came between 40 and 54 yards. She also interestingly made the most 50+ yard field goals in the league. She really helped pushed Norfolk into the “dominant” range of play, because she elongated their “scoring” range significantly. A drive that ended at the 45 yard line was still a scoring opportunity. That brings a huge confidence boost for the team as they always have her as a safety net in the offensive drives. Her affect went well beyond where her foot met a football for Norfolk.
Next, I would like to talk about another star offensive player on the Norfolk Seawolves. Dre Matthews. Crazy fast with 90 speed along with hot hands and the ability to stay quick on his feet, Matthews led the league in touchdowns for all receivers in the DSFL. I do not know what No means and I could not figure it out by quickly googling it, but Matthews finished third in those with 70. That has got to be pretty good, I think. More importantly, he finished 4th in yards with 937. He had the second highest average yards per reception of the top 7 yards earners, with 13.4. Dre Matthews showed crazy consistency and clutch to help lead the best team in the dsfl’s receiving core.
Moving away from Norfolk, I would like to talk about my guy, Quentin Button’s position, FS. It is not Button sadly, but he does not need it because we won a damn Ultimini. I do not need any gear when I have got a ring. Instead, I would like to talk about Drake for Portland. He finished middle of the pack roughly for tackles with 62. That is not what is interesting about him. He had 22 passes blocked. That is crazy, the next highest FS in passed blocked has 5. That is a ridiculous gap.

Task 12

Woah, the Norfolk Seawolves won the Ultimini. That is how I am starting every ISFL related convo this whole offseason. It feels really, really nice to have tangible sim league success finally and my time with the Seawolves feels really valuable and validated because of this win. I love it. And now, I am sitting waiting for the season 24 draft to see where I go. It has been a long way here, but it has been fun seeing all this come to fruition. I missed a lot of tpe that I should have gotten, not enough to take me out of the first round for this draft, but enough where I know I can/will do better for next season. About midway through the season I lost a lot of motivation here, in part because I felt like Button sucked and I was in the middle of a big playoff race in my first season as a co gm in the PBE, so everything was a bit crazy and I missed some sims and stuff. But the last few weeks have been Big here in the ISFL for me, which has been really nice. I am really glad I got drafted by Norfolk for a whole bunch of reasons in the DSFL draft. First of all, we won a gosh darn Ultimini and we are the best and coolest team in the DSFL, and also we have got a super friendly active community. It is really clear to me why a lot of Nofork alumnus stick around after promotion, it is a blast. I got elected as co captain for the defense, so I am gonna help a bit with this crazy crazy upcoming draft, and I think we should have a nice shot at the playoffs again, especially if I stick around next season. The differences between the ISFL and the PBE are beginning to be a lot easier to navigate, which is nice. Updating each week has become a lot easier. A lot of what I need/want to do in this league just needs some time set aside for it, so I am really jazzed to get to working on it after work and such. Especially after the draft coming up here, it will be really nice to have an idea of how everything will come together for my career. One thing that is still super confusing to me is how a player can be an active free agent who is receiving offers and still be in the DSFL. I get it, some positions, especially quarterback, just take tons of seasons to catch up to the NSFL but it is so strange still. Anyway, I am having a blast. This last season really cemented my enjoyment of this league, especially with the whole championship. Let this be known for any ISFL team looking to draft me, I might end up winning an Ultimus with ya. Gotta be ready, that is a real potential.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Gwdjohnson - 07-26-2020

Code:
11) Give a thorough examination of a league scandal from any point in time. What made this particular drama so noteworthy? Who were the major participants involved, and what was the offense? What kind of impact did this scandal create on the league, and have any permanent changes come about as a result?

Ah, say no more. I will take any opportunity to talk about the one sim league scandal that directly involves me, the Jeffie43 / Myrtle Beach tampering punishment. This was a really weird time overall, and just to give a thorough explanation of it from my viewpoint, here's my timeline.

First, I started to hear rumblings of a punishment coming to Myrtle Beach. I'm not a big ISFL guy, so I didn't care much for it. But then, things got a little weird when I had people asking me in DMs about stuff relating to Myrtle Beach and if I was coerced to retire my player in Norfolk to play there (Not from anyone in HO, of course, because they never contacted me). At this point I was like "wait, how am I of all people involved in this?" but then the punishment dropped. I was simply appalled upon seeing the decision,
mostly because I hadn't been contacted personally by Head Office on the site or on Discord, so I think they were missing crucial facts that would've helped them make their decision. At the time, Garfield Despacito was an inactive bum offensive lineman who I made as a meme around the time surrounding the "GIVE US A FAIR RUB" OL meme was prevalent. I had no intention of doing anything with that player or even sticking around the league, so for the existence of that player to be the root cause of the punishment was a joke to me. And then, upon appeal, not only was there no reduction/reversal of the punishment given more information, but the punishment to the Bucs was made even worse. All in all it was a situation that left a sour taste in my mouth but at least it makes for good writing material whenever I the chance to talk about it.

As for what came of it, nothing. I discussed this with some people in Myrtle Beach and I believe Orange County, but the spirit of the tampering rule is not at all centered around inactive players, and I think that's the big oversight on the punishment. Even if Jeffie did "tamper" me (which he didn't, all he did was give me advice on how to recreate because I said I wanted to), he was helping bring another active into the league, and he even did so successfully because I'm here and participating now. It's disappointing to me at least that there isn't some sort of discrepancy in the rulebook between tampering someone's active player to join your team, and helping someone currently inactive get the desire to come back to the league and assist them in doing so.

(446 words)

Code:
6) The playoffs have finally arrived. Choose one playoff team that is not your own from either league and recount how they got here in 400 words or more. What challenges and hurdles did they face in the regular season? Did they cruise into home field advantage or have to fight off contenders for the wild card? Are they led by MVP players on offense, or is a stifling defense the engine to their success? Don’t be afraid to go deep.

Alright, 400 words about a sport I know nothing about let's go.

Today on Garfield News, we will be analyzing the season of the Yellowknife Wraiths and what gave them the edge they needed to top the NSFC this season. Legendary former Norfolk Seawolves offensive lineman joins us in the studio. Garfield? Talk to us about Yellowknife.

Thanks, Brad. So Yellowknife firstly had a record of 5-3-0 at their home games this season, with the losses only coming to three of the leagues best teams in Orange County, New Orleans, and Colorado. I believe this is due to the location of Yellowknife simply being awful for the average football team to play in, while you can clearly tell Wraiths players have endured the pain of the awful location enough to withstand it and gain an edge in that way. I mean, honestly speaking that's the only possible rationale you could give for putting a football team in the [expletive] Northwest Territories, how was this approved by the league?? Anyway, back to the subject...offense this season was another huge plus of theirs on the campaign, as their 406 points scored was good for 3rd in the league behind Arizona and Orange County. Bigsby, the well-known quarterback of the team, provided a solid backbone for this offense, as he passed for the second most yards of all quarterbacks in the league, with 3899 passing yards out of 573 attempts. Wide receivers Rodriguez and Jackson were not overly spectacular on the season, but they got the job done and synergized well enough with Bigsby to provide a great threat on passing plays. But rushing was arguably even more impressive than passing on the Yellowknife stat table, as star running back Handayi had a debatably MVP caliber season for the Wraiths offense. His 13 rushing touchdowns not only led all running backs on the season, but he was second only to the Otters' Tatsu Nakamura in total yardage on the rush. If we look at actual runs of games, their sequence of weeks 2-5 were huge, as they won those four weeks in a row, including a massive landslide result in a 54-0 smashing of Chicago. They also won five out of six games between weeks 9-14 to to secure a good finish in the league, but the end of the season was most interesting. In their final two weeks, 15 and 16, they lost heavily to Colorado and Philadelphia, but then had a Bye Week on the last matchday. I believe that on that final matchday, the Wraiths really took their time to sit down and gather themselves in order to bounce back strongly with a deep playoff run. Lo and behold, not only did they make a good playoff run, they silenced a lot of critics by going on to win the damn Ultimus altogether! I have to give my hats off to Yellowknife for a great season, and a very deserved Ultimus to end what has been an awful streak of finals appearances for them recently.

(493 words)

All 10 TPE secured, UW done

(S23) - Ultimus Week - y2bobman - 07-26-2020

Tier 2 : Task 12

I’m not completely new to this whole thing, but it’s not something I’ve been involved with for… I’d say… 20 years. Back then it was a WWF spin-off and is actually where my username comes from (can you tell I was a Jericho fan?). From the outset this looks completely different.

So far I have nothing but good things to say about the experience. Whoever put together these user guides – thank you. Can I also take this time to give a special mention to whoever threw together the Wikipedia template. I use excel daily in my work and things like this impress me. You folks have clearly out time and effort into getting the league where it is now so big credit there.

Now in terms of users, let me pull out a few names. Obviously with it being scouting season and me being a rookie I’m pleased to say I’ve been contacted. Sure, each team has a slightly different approach but I want to take time to personally thank iStegosaurz, Darkness Rising, cincyfan96, Maglubiyet, Gucci and TheRocheLimit. I think you’ve all gone that extra mile not only to find out a little bit about my intentions (you have priorities after all) but also a bit about me and that means a lot. You’ve also all looked to offer help and advice, checked that I’m finding my way around or looked to point me to where I need to go when needed. I don’t feel like I have to say what I think you want to hear, I feel like I can be honest when I say I’d need to figure out how much time I can spend here, but that I’ll look to max my TPE and ensure I don’t let the tea down. This is much more than just a simulation game, it’s a real community.

As a UK player I’m not helped with time zones, as a Bengals fan I don’t know good football (what is a playoff?). But I do know good people. Aside from this scouting aspect I’ve also really enjoyed the fun to be had on twitter – there is great banter on there. Shout out to katarn22, Crunk and Montegue; I think we’re going to have a lot more fun with this as draft day approaches and we move into our first seasons!

I’ve yet to be drafted but I’m really looking forward to it. I’m kinda hoping a slide under the radar a little – let someone else take the pressure of being a first rounder. That said, please guys, don’t make me Mr Irrelevant!
Just to close, I’ve been welcomed with open arms, you all seem to look out for each other so lets bring on draft day and get started with this!

Tier 3 : Task 19

Albert Ruschmann – Defensive End – Rutgers University

The journey is just about to begin for Albert Ruschmann but it may not have even got this far had it not been for the persistence of William Matthews; choir director and assistant football coach at Westfield. It was Matthews who persuaded Ruschmann that he had the right attributes (6ft2” back then) to walk into the team for the fall.

Of course it wasn’t just as simple as that. Ruschmann worked hard on his bulk, putting on 40lbs while playing junior varsity football at linebacker. It was upon moving to defensive end the following season that his stats started to catch the eye; 14.5 sacks helped lead the team through an undefeated season and divisional championship. Then in his senior year it was more of the same; 16 sacks, undefeated season, state championship. The Rusch Man was here to stay.

It was at Rutgers where we were on the same team and I was now able to judge for myself what a talent he is. As a starting defensive end, standing 6ft4” and now weighing 265lbs, Ruschmann registered 12.5 sacks; almost double than he had in the prior season where he’d been on rotation; as well as 16 tackles for loss, recovering 50% of his forced fumbles. He was instrumental in taking us to the bowl that year although we couldn’t quite make it over the line despite holding Duke to less than 50 rushing yards. That said, Ruschmann still made First Team All-Big Ten at defensive end.

In his second season as a first team starter Ruschmann really put his mark on our opponents as we managed to clinch the Jeff Bezos Amazon Bowl. He put up 14.5 sacks, 19 tackles for loss, recovered 66% of his forced fumbles. He made First Team All-Big Ten and Second Team All-American. Ruschmann really was one of the stars of our team, and I was blessed to play alongside him.

So that brings us to now. We both decided that the time had come to move on and declare for the draft. His stats speak for themselves, you can all see that. But Rusch (I’m still not down with calling you Glitter Critter, man!) is a hell of a team player, a leader on the field and in the locker room, a guy you want to stand beside come game day. You sure as hell don’t want him as an opponent, especially as a QB. Now I expect my man to be drafted high and rightly so. I hope the scouts reading this take note.

Tier 3 : Task 22

Pro Bowl Activity Ideas

1) Highland Games

Why let the Scots have all the fun? Caber toss, stone put, hammer throw, these are the kind of events which separate the men from the boys. Special kilts to be commissioned using tartans coloured as per team jerseys. Lowest scoring player has to catch the elusive haggis.

My bet for ISLF winner: Orange County Otter FB J Phillips has great speed and fantastic hands for such a tall athlete. That said, I wouldn’t rule out DT C Clemente from the Sarasta Sailfish. For a DT he’s quick and his strength/endurance combo could see him home.

My bet for DSFL winner: DT Y Cloudera from the Dallas Birddogs has a great chance to come out on top here, although I’m expecting London Royals’ LB J Domine to take it down to the wire. Both these players are strong and quick – Domine’s hands may just let him down should the rain come.

2) Bake-off

Sure, football is a game about speed and strength but players need to have the right mental mindset too. Your favourite player may be able to throw 6 TDs in a game, or hit 20 tackles… but can that MVP bake the perfect sponge while tempering chocolate and whisking up some Italian meringue?

My bet for ISLF winner: TE P Larson from the Austin Copperheads. He has a great mixture of speed, handling and intelligence which is ideal for working in a kitchen environment. Hot on his heels may well be RB F Dotson of the Philadelphia Liberty – it could be a close call this one.

My bet for DSFL winner: SS B Blanco from Norfolk Seawoves may be a safe bet here but I’m actually going to back CB R Jackson from the Minnesota Grey Ducks. Solid hands and intelligence combined with agility and endurance suggest he can take the heat of the kitchen.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Billybolo53 - 07-26-2020

5) Write 800 words or more on something that interests you. It could be related to statistics, to a league issue you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 800 words about your team’s Werewolf server. Be warned that freedom comes with risk, and this category will be judged especially stringently for anyone trying to spew complete nonsense.

For this Ulitmus Week, I will be recounting what has been my most fascinating and happy time in this league so far, the Myrtle Beach Buccaneer playoff runs from the S20 and S22. The Buccaneers achieved the feat of making it to two straight Ultimini’s. As a brand new create I saw them both firsthand and it really is what got me invested.
In the S2 season, They Myrtle Beach Buccaneers were absolutely dominated during the regular season with a 12-2 record. Lead by Rookie QB Chris Ramos and Rb Siddu Sarvepally. Sarvepally rushed for an incredible 1669 yards with 10 touchdowns. The offense had future All pro linemen Simon Tremblay and Douglas Quail. The most impressive aspect of the Buccaneers as a team was their defense. The defense allowed a party 119 points, the best in the league. Anchored the “No Fly Zone” Hehateme Picksix, Prince Vegeta, and Dax Frost. The S21 Buccanneers won 9 straight games to end the year and were a perfect 7-0 at home. Unforently since the Buccs lost their head to head match up at Minnesota, they would not get HFA throughout the playoffs. In their first Playoff game, The Buccaneers would crush the 6-8 Norfolk Seawolves 43-10 and advance to face the Minnesota Greyducks, who demolished the Kansas City Coyotes 36-7. The Buccaneers would go on to lose in the Ultimini 28-3 in a one-sided matchup.

Coming off the heartbreaking defeat in the Ultimini, The S21 Buccaneers would be one of the favorites to win at the beginning of the season. Returning many of their star players from their Ultimini run. Chris Ramos returned as the QB and, after a surprise position switch, Dax Frost returned as the RB. Frost had an impressive debut as a running back putting up 1592 yards and 12 touchdowns. The offense sported Heath Evans and James Angler at tight end. The offensive line added rookie Bruce Buckley to go with veterans Simon Trembley and Douglas Quail who returned for their second season in the DSFL. The defense was absolutely stacked with future 1st round picks, Brandon Booker and Jonny Hellzapoppin. Octavio "Cuco" Clemente was the anchor on the defensive line along with Troen Egghands, both 2nd round picks. Playing for Myrtle Beach at this time was such a fun experience. We all came in with a little bit of a chip on our shoulder. The team took offense from an article from Phat Boi. He was picked on waivers at end of the S20 season and had some less than kind remarks about the team. Then he disrespected me out during one of his podcast and I called him on it. There was this air around us at the time that we felt it was Us vs the world. We were considered one of the strongest teams entering the season and we let everyone know it. We had a smugness and cockiness that was pretty infectious. As the season, started we got off to a really good start, winning our first two games in convincing fashion. We beat the Kansas City Coyotes by the score of 24-9 on the road and the Portland Pythons by the score of 24-17. The next stretch of games saw us go 3-4 over the next 7 games even losing to the expansion team, The Dallas Birddogs. If the Buccs were ever going to get HFA we needed to win and also get some help along the way. The Buccaneers won three straight and headed into the final week of the season needing a win vs Norfolk to clinch a playoff spot and HFA. We were really putting all our eggs in this basket. One win and we're in with HFA. If we could get HFA advantage throughout the playoffs we would get the Ultimini. We just did not think we could lose at home. This is the game we prepped for the most, tested all the possibilities for. If we lost this game, our season was effectively over. We not only lost but got destroyed 37-10 at home. The mood in the locker room after this game was so deflating. We had some people who were just done. We worked hard and this is how it ends. Others were still holding out hope. If we could somehow win against Tijuana and Kansas City lost. We are in the playoffs with HFA. It seemed like such a long shot at the time, but the dominos started to come together. First Kansas City goes down, 20-23 vs the Greyducks. Then we take care of business on the road against Tijuana. It happened, for many of us we just knew we won the Ultimini that night. We could just sense it, but we still had to play the games. First up, was a rematch against Norfolk. We destroyed them 18-0 in a statement game. On the other side of the bracket, the Coyotes destroyed Portland 31-7. Now was the matchup I had been waiting for. Phat Boi on one side, and me on the other. I vowed that I would be there to take every awards and trophy out of his mouth and I didn't miss that chance. We would win 27-10 on the backs of one of the best defensive performances in the playoffs. From draft day to the Ultimini, nothing will ever beat my first season here. I'll relive it every chance I get.

Code:
902 word

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Booger - 07-26-2020

7.) One player who I think should win offensive rookie of the year is Sarasota Sailfish tight end James Angler. Angler was called up for his first season as an NSFL player this season and has become one of the best targets for our new QB, Dexter Banks. Angler ended the season with an impressive 914 yards receiving, good for 13th most in the league. Angler was also a very efficient pass catcher, averaging 12.8 yards per reception. One aspect of Angler's game that was lacking this season was in red-zone targets and touchdown receptions, of which Angler only had 3. Given his lack of experience and room for growth, I expect Angler to become more of a reliable red-zone target for the Sailfish in the future, but for the time being it's definitely something that needs work. He caught 74 passes in total, 3 of which were touchdowns. Also, Angler has been a great addition to the team as a pass blocker. This season, Angler had 12 pancakes through 16 games, and only allowed one sack. Overall, Angler's versatility when it came to his ability to be an offensive weapon in the passing game and in the field of pass blocking lead me to say that he should be in the running for offensive rookie of the year.

Another player that I believe should be in the running for offensive rookie of the year is running back, Running Back. Back's name, though perfect in every way, was understated by his terrific performance this past season. Back accumulated 743 rushing yards this year, a number which, despite not being eye-popping, is of great significance given the reduced carries available to Back due to Frost's presence. One stat which represents Back's achievements well is his yards per carry, which came out to 4.2. The highest yards per carry this season was achieved by running back Forrest Gump, with 4.5. The difference here isn't extremely large, and it emphasizes how efficient Back was when given the opportunity. One aspect of Back's game that was lacking this year was his ability to punch it in for the score. Back only managed one touchdown this season, which is somewhat lackluster given his other stats. One reasonable explanation for this lack of touchdowns may again be Back's lack of carries, specifically near the goal line. Also, Back's longest run this season was only one of 20 yards, a stat that speaks to both the lack of long rushing touchdowns in the league and potentially Back's lack of NSFL experience and growth.

13.) I think that my player, Fawn Dillmiballs, should be in consideration for an award this season. He had a pretty great season, ending with 85 tackles, 10 sacks, and 13 passes defended. However, he wasn't near the top of the league for any of those stats, a testament to the great linebackers currently playing. I think Fawn should be considered since he was a great all-around defender this past season, clogging up holes in the run, getting to the quarterback, and disrupting pass attempts. Also, given that Haha Mango Panda, another star Sarasota linebacker, is positioned next to Fawn on many plays, its understandable that Fawn's stats wouldn't be as eye-popping as those from a linebacker who runs more of a one man show. Fawn was also a good locker room presence throughout the season, and was there to support the team through their worst losses and most exhilarating victories. Some other contenders for the award LBoTY include Mo Berry and Arizona's Wilf. Berry had 108 tackles, 14 sacks, and 18 passes defended, while Wilf had 118 tackles, 16 sacks, and 12 passes defended. Overall, while Fawn's stats may not be at the level of some of the premiere NSFL linebackers, his off the field determination and on the field versatility should give him the opportunity to be looked at as an award nominee.

14.) new tertiary color is purple btw if you didn't get the memo

[Image: OaICstP.png]

(S23) - Ultimus Week - KillaScrilla - 07-26-2020

Tier 2- Scandal
A big scandal that happened recently was the Bex messages being leaked and it was not pretty for her or the league. So some messages between Bex(the commissioner) and her friends was leaked to the forums from a guy, ( dont remember his name) who has since been banned as a result, showing clear biased against San Jose and some of the players mainly being Butters. The major players involved was Bex, Tom Hanks, Woelkers and I believe Issa. The messages also had a hint of tampering it appeared but thats neither here nor there j guess. Some of the screen shots was deleted by Bex one minute before inviting HO into their server to have a look. While that was very suspicious Tom said it was a joke in poor taste and he wasnt sure why she deleted them. I was a big proponent of Bex being fired but after a league vote of the GMs she was able to barely able to hang onto her position.
She got a punishment that i thought was fair though and HO was good with the transparency in this case. To show no one is above the rules. She was able to stay in HO that season until the votes was taken. She did lose her Mod privileges and any pay from league jobs for the season. She apologized publicly for her comments and felt extremely bad about the situation. We took her apology at face value and moved forward. The rest of the players involved received no punishment as tampering was not able to be Proven.
Since then ill admit Bex has done a great job in her role and for the league as a whole as shes improved the league leaps and bounds from where it was just since I joined. We did lose some of the HO members from this and it left a bad taste in some peoples mouth Im sure but all in all id say it was the correct decision. We had no one else to step into her role if we would have voted her out which I came to realise towards time to vote. While still questionable decisions have been made since then, Nola being in alot of higher positions, overall I think shes regained alot of the trust and respect she lost from this happening and came out possibly in a better position than before. That is the scandal that stands out for me mainly because I was so vocal and loud about it at the time.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - cho1325 - 07-26-2020

8. If we take a critical look at the Yellowknife wraiths this year as a whole you may have to ask what is there to change? Considering the fact that they won the ultimus bowl last season what could they do to hopefully repeat this same success the following season? Well for one I do believe the quarterback Cooter Bigsby is very close to retiring. So of course replacing the soul of the team would be very much important and we have the replacement with one the Jack brothers in the DSFL currently training to enter the ISFL soon enough. Then we can look at our offensive line which is pretty much non-existent except for Forty-Two so adding more depth in that position would help immensely in my opinion. Another position that the team is lacking is an actual tight end as we do not have a single human to address that spot. Having a tight end that can pass catch and block helps add much more variety to the scheme of the team. Our wide receiver core is actually pretty solid and has deep depth. Unfortunately one of the captains of the team Nate Swift has been whisked away to San Jose and will be missed in the locker room. Our running back position seems to be in a excellent position but it never hurts to always have more backs in training since you never know with injuries, especially with such a run heavy team. Now we switch to the defensive side of the team. We can start with the safety position. With one safety in regression and ready to retire it would make sense to replenish the spot in the upcoming draft. We have another safety that is an up and comer and will hopefully be able to replace our oldest safety in time. Our defensive backs are in a good position but having more for depth is never a bad thing. The linebacker core could always use some help especially with ones that we can draft and train since our linebackers will be okay for a few more years. The Yellowknifes could also use two true defensive tackles as we are currently using a defensive end as a tackle and our other main tackle is hitting regression and will soon be in the position to retire soon enough and getting depth for that position would help immensely. Overall I feel that the Wraiths in a really good position overall compared to other teams but there are always a few tweaks here and there that they could do to improve overall.

21. I would like to compare the Yellowknife wraiths to the Austin copperheads. Both teams are very similar believe it or not. The only difference is that Yellowknife boasts a stronger defense, whereas the copperheads have the stronger offense. This becomes quite clear when you compare the quarterbacks. Cooter Bigsby for one is in regression while Easton Cole is still in his prime. The wide receiver situation though is very interesting. The Yellowknife wraiths have much more depth but the average TP floats at around 500 TPE while the copperheads only have three wide receivers but there average TP comes to around 700. Copperheads have a Tight end whereas the wraiths don’t even have one. The running back situation is also very similar both have one elite star running back and then have a second back that is still in the works but still able to contribute significantly. Now when we look at the defense where the wraiths are the strongest it is clear. The front seven of the wraiths average TPE boasts around 800 while the front seven of the copperheads falls around a rough 500 TPE. This is a huge blaring difference and the biggest reason just falls on the fact that the front four of the copperheads are still very young and new to the league. At the end of the day the Wraiths took the trophy home and it goes to show that Defense always wins.

22. If the ISFL and DSFL adopted the pro-bowls skill challenges well I for one would agree with that. It would be a fun and festive way to have fans enjoy and have more interaction with the players. For one I think adding more variations to the skill games like other sports would be an interesting idea. To see how many potential all-stars there are on the pro-bowl teams. Things like 3 on 3 basketball or soccer would make it so much fun in my opinion. Other skill tests could be borrowed from the NFL combine. Basically redo the combine except with the elite players and see if they improve or see if father time had has its effect on the player’s stats. I believe if ultimate Frisbee was played the wide receivers and cornerbacks hand down would probably come away with it. Wide receivers like Donut, Gaines, Gordon, Lim and Quinn would easily take the cake on this sport along with Shileds, Marston, and Lattimer. Dodgeball now I truly believe would be a toss up. But I can see wide receivers again coming out on top since they have such good hands and should be able to catch all the balls that are thrown to them rather then trying to dodge them. Of course I believe the NSFC would come out on top if challenged by the ASFC because I just have that bias.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - LGMForever - 07-26-2020

11) Give a thorough examination of a league scandal from any point in time. What made this particular drama so noteworthy? Who were the major participants involved, and what was the offense? What kind of impact did this scandal create on the league, and have any permanent changes come about as a result?

As someone who hardly pays attention to this league and only earns that sweet sweet TPE so that Carl Wheezer can destroy the opponents and win more trophies for the Orange County Otters. However, it is very important that I discuss this scandal in particular because this is the very scandal that brought me back into the league after I didn't initially recreate for awhile when Dan Schneider reached his peak in terms of TPE and I didn't feel like fighting regression. Of course, I am talking about the moderately recent and pretty infamous Chicago Butchers incident that went on that single-handedly revived me as a sim league user because I am a very grand enjoyer of drama and any league that can have drama like that is one that I will try to be in.

I must give a fair warning here that it is moderately possible that I haven't gone back to read everything so there is a fair chance that I'm either not including anything when discussing this or if I'm wrong about it. I'm tryna hit a word count, please do not be angry at me. I'll also try to omit names from this because it might not be pleasant for some people's reputations and whatever. Basically you had the team known as the Chicago Butchers which was an expansion team, and I'm sure they had a feeling like they had something to prove like expansion teams tend to do. They blew up their draft pick capital because they wanted to compete, which I guess we wouldn't be laughing at them for if they actually won because of it but they didn't and they were never a real threat if I remember correctly.

Eventually, both of their general managers stepped down and they didn't name anyone to succeed them in that position. As a result, and I'm guessing part of it is because the Butcher's were in a really bad spot with a bad team and no picks, HO stepped in the process of finding a good candidate to take over. They did all of their homework and stuff, eventually presenting it to the Chicago war room which I guess they really didn't need to do but the approval of the war room is probably important. However, they ended up voting down the candidate for what I'm pretty sure was no reason so that's kind of funny and a nice little spice to the drama. Eventually, they voted on and approved their own set of candidates and the Chicago Butchers lived happily ever after.

13) Create an argument for your own player, or for someone else on your team, as to why they should be nominated for awards. Lay out their stats or compare them to other contenders. Make a convincing case.

I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea about what stats in the game of football are actually significant and what makes one player better than another so I'm probably gonna be very minimal on the argument against other players but at the same time I can throw up all of the professional Carl Wheezer stats that prove that he was certainly the best player in the league this year. Taking a look at the nice little stat list that we have ourselves for this football league, it looks like Wheezer had a grand time defending against all of the opposing players that tried breaking through the defensive line. Throughout the course of the 14 game season, Wheezer was able to compile a total of three sacks, which is truly the peak of humanity that any single player can hope for. Just ignore the 30 players that had an equal or greater amount of sacks and you can claim without a doubt that Carl Wheezer is the sack god. Taking a look at some other stats, Wheezer had himself a very respectable one TFL. I don't even know what a TFL is so that must mean that Wheezer is in the company of champions. With this, he will certainly be nominated for all of the awards without a doubt.

23) Present your argument for the playoffs MVP. Show their stats and impact on the games that they played.

Even though there are usually times in which the most valuable player in the playoffs aren't from the team that actually ended up winning the entire thing, I'm going to go ahead and essentially pick the most valuable player from the Yellowknife Wraiths due to these playoffs being their story and how they came to win it all. With the power that I possess in my limited knowledge of football and what makes a player good, I can conclude that Acura Skyline was the most valuable player for the Wraiths in this postseason. As the basic person that I am, I of course utilize the touchdown stat in order to determine who the best player on a team is. In the quarter finals we saw the running back get a solid one touchdown. In the semi finals they didn't manage to get a touchdown which is kind of sad but that's okay because they made it up in the ultimus. In the ultimus game against the Austin Copperheads which is a pretty cool branding because snakes are nice, Skyline picked up a whopping three touchdowns in a blowout game that ended in 38-13 so that's always pretty amazing for a team to get to do and Skyline contributed to that game a big amount.