International Simulation Football League
(S23) - Ultimus Week - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S23) - Ultimus Week (/showthread.php?tid=23669)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

(S23) - Ultimus Week - kentakira - 07-29-2020

Quote:14) Create a championship banner for your team, including relevant players and iconography. Graphics only.

[Image: UoviJ9w.png]

Quote:18) Create a billboard, magazine cover, or video game cover depicting a superstar of the league. Graphics only.

[Image: TVflpzF.png]

Quote:20) Show your player hoisting the championship trophy. Graphics only.

[Image: o6C42Kr.png]

Quote:23) Present your argument for the playoffs MVP. Show their stats and impact on the games that they played.

[Image: lxsXBRa.png]

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Mooty99 - 07-29-2020

I could not resist this question around who should be on the Austin Copperhead’s Mount Rushmore, but before I get into who should have there face immortalised in stone I think there are 2 points to cover.

Firstly Austin’s Mount Rushmore will certainly not be built on scared native land, there will be no issues with Austin’s Mount, in fact I would propose that a human made mountain should be erected on the farm land to the east of Austin for the Mount Copperheadmore rather than possibly destroy some beautiful natural environment.

My second point is that this asks for 4 players faces, this means that I can not put Austin founder and legend AdamS on the mount. This does make me sad because of all the work Adam put into Austin and his great work as a GM. To help rectify this fact I would like to make a new proposal, that under the 4 player’s face we should add Adam’s phase “We Build Houses” this would be a fitting tribute to Adam’s great legacy in Austin taking the team from 0 and 13 to an Ultimus winning side that has made the playoffs for the last 6 years running.

The 1st face that has to go straight up on the mount has to be quarter back Easton Cole. Easton Cole has been the quarter back for Austin for the whole time the team has existed, that is 8 seasons currently and I am sure that he will continue for at least another 2 or 3. By the end of his career Easton Cole is likely to set a huge number of franchise records. While the season related records are likely to be lost due to the new 16 game format, career records are going to be very hard to top for any quarter back following Cole. He has a huge number of TDs, passing yards and led the team to two Ultimus finals and lifted the trophy once and despite the occasional interception that Easton Cole is known for throwing he will always be the 1st name on the list and the player who should be front and centre on Mount Copperheadmore.

The 2nd face that should be up on the mount is again easy to pick and that is Copperhead lifer Rod Tidwell. This Arizona native may seem self centred with his catch phase “show me the money” but his actions in Austin have shown him to be anything but. Tidwell was one of the first players ever to be drafted by Austin in the season 15 draft and has been in the team ever since. He started as number 2 wide receiver behind Django Anoi but when he moved to the number 1 wide receiver spot he made it his own. Tidwell won the Ultimus as a number 1 wide receiver and he final won wide receiver of the year (after being robbed a couple of times) in season 21. Season 24 will be Tidwell’s final season playing football, and I can’t think of a more fitting tribute to his career than being immortalised in stone.

The 3rd face that should be up on the mount is that of cornerback Dermot Lavelle Jr. Dermot came to Austin in season 16, the second draft class Austin took and their first ever season playing. In his college days he had been a controversial figure living in the shadow of his hall of fame father which had led his draft stock to sink from a predicted 1st overall to eventually ending up being taken by Austin at 4th. This however was all unfounded, he has since proved to be a locker room leader and the hardest working player on the training pitch that Austin had ever seen. All his hard work is finally paying off, with season 23 being far and away his best ever, hopefully this sea change in stats continues, but he has certainly done enough to end up on with his face immortalised as a Copperhead forever.

The 4th face is the toughest to pick with great offensive players such as Net Gaines or Mako Mendonca in with a shout, OL stalwart like Beaver Dantes or even cult heroes like Tadeka Okura. In the end however I have settled on defensive lineman Kyle Idlwylde as the 4th and final face. Kyle was a 1st overall draft pick that came to Austin in season 18 (a pick that was obtained in an excellent trade with Chicago) and from day one of arriving has led the defensive line. To start with he was very much a lone talent on the line and racked up stats because of it, but of late he has had more help, this has certainly reduced his stats but improved the line overall, and with him signing a new 3 year deal last season it is very likely that we will see Kyle continue as the defensive line leader for a long time yet and hopefully as another Austin lifer.

WC 836

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Colabear - 07-29-2020

3) For any team, certain players and users have gone above and beyond, shaping the legacy of the franchise. Choose any ISFL or DSFL team - with the exception of the Sarasota Sailfish and Honolulu Hahalua - and create a Mount Rushmore for that team. Who in your mind are the four most noteworthy figures of the team’s history? Why does each one of your included figures deserve that recognition, and how did each of them make their mark?

When you head North across the Great Slave Lake into the bay, where you find the town of Yellowknife deep in the frigid Northwest Territories of Canada, there is a unique sight that is a must see for any football fan. Sail North out of Yellowknife itself staying near the Western coast and you will see along a cliff an ice sculpture like no other, carved from a frozen waterfall, the visages of 4 of Yellowknife's favourite sons glint in the sunlight.

On the left of the quartet is one of the greatest defensive backs in league history, a player who came from the unlikely origins of the West of Ireland, Dermot Lavelle. A hall of famer in his own right, he was a defensive player of the year and defensive back of the year as well as making the pro bowl in every one of this 13 NSFL seasons. He was instrumental in bringing the Wraiths their only title in Season 8, a year that the people of Yellowknife treasure all the more knowing how hard it is to replicate that success.

Next along the line is perhaps the most loved man in Yellowknife, the big dog, Cooter Bigsby.
While Bigsby has never brought home a title to Yellowknife, he has reigned over an incredible period of success. During his tenure as quarterback, the Wraiths have dominated their conference and gone to 5 of the last 6 Ultimus games. This season's ultimus title win against the Copperheads is the perfect and deserving crowning achievement to finish a legendary career. It seems no accident that the artist chose to put Bigsby a little higher than the other figures on the cliffside. His name and reputation reign higher than any other in this part of the world.

Close to Bigsby on the cliffside is a man who played alongside Bigsby during his time in Yellowknife, securing the defensive side of the ball: The man, the myth, the legend, the tackling maching, Danny Grithead. A man whose awards cabinet boasts: a most valuable player award; a defensive player of the year award; two defensive back of the year awards; no less than ten pro bowl appearances; and of course the two ultimus bowl championships he won with Orange County before coming to Yellownife and embracing as well as defining the winning Wraith culture. While his titles came elsewhere, the peak of his career certainly came during his time in Yellowknife where he won his MVP and Defensive Player of the Year awards. He is of course also the all time NSFL tackle leader, and incredible achievement for an incredible player.

Finally on the right is a face some might say doesn't deserve to be here. A man whose story is still unfinished, perhaps that's why he's depicted gazing off into the distance, looking to the future at the great things yet to come in his career - yet he has already achieved so much in his career to date, it's hard to see what he could do to lose such a position amongst the greats of the Wraiths. The face is that of the lethal weapon Mathias Hanyadi. In his 3 seasons he has claimed 2 running back of the year awards and 2 offensive player of the year awards, and this year he adds a MVP and an Ultimus championship on top.

All four faces gaze southward in the direction of the American rivals. Or perhaps not, south of the city of Yellowknife also is the new stadium, The Frostlands, a theatre of dreams for the people of Yellowknife as much as the players. And if the old stadium, the Burial Grounds gathered a reputation of being cursed after three consecutive losses in Ultimus Bowls XVIII, XIX, and XX, the new stadium is a symbol of hope and success with a win in the first and only Ultimus Bowl held there.

The sculpture is an incredible feat of art and engineering, a testament to dedication, and a love letter from the fans to the team and the four greats who have contributed most to making it what it is today, one of the truly great franchises in all sim sports. It seems poignant that the scultpure itself is made of ice and come the Summer and next seasons kickoff it will have gone, melted into the bay and merged with the Great Slave Lake. Almost as if to remind us that all success in sport is fleeting and come the new season everyone starts a new with zero wins and zero losses. Witnessing this piece of art is something I would encourage any football fan to do. Yellowknife isn't on the way to anywhere, and it's out of the way of just about everywhere too. Because this city isn't a stopover, it's a destination.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Shiznit19 - 07-29-2020

Tier 2: 8)

When looking towards the future, I think it will be a difficult but rewarding grind upcoming for the Austin Copperheads. Currently, they have been a consistent playoff contender however there is still a pretty solid balance of rising stars and experienced veterans on the squad. However, it is hard to say they have an uphill battle having just fell short of what would’ve been a miraculous Ultimus run. The way the Copperheads can continue to improve is by adding key leaders and players of quality rather than spraying the board and hoping that something sticks. This has been a strategy the team has implemented and has bode well for them in the past. It is most important for the Franchise to continue plugging away and doing just that, as it has clearly worked well so far. As far as cap and free agency signings go, it is probably not too necessary for the team to make a splash at this point. Very soon a few key players will be retired and it is best to wait it out for a year or two and see how the team gels together. Going through the roster, the offense should be pretty impressive this upcoming season. Retaining QB, Easton Cole, who proved to be a force to reckon with. Running backs Mendonca and Jones should be a great one-two punch as well. Mendonca may be hanging up the cletes somewhat soon but having Jones coming into his own will help take off that pressure. Not to mention, their great WR core that is rising up. Having Gaines and Tidwell’s veteran leadership paired with flashy up and comers Jeeta and Videl-San. Once Tidwell passes the torch to Gaines, the Jetta and Videl-San duo will be a fun one to keep an eye on. They are already working out together plenty this off season and you can expect great things in the future. On Defense, they will continue to also bolster a solid squad through the upcoming season. With a stout defensive line having Idlewyld, Egghands, and Claxton; they should be the glue to the squad. Egghands and Claxton are also both fairly young into the league. It has been great seeing them feed off of Idlewyld’s leadership up front. Not to mention dynamic CB duo Lavelle and Mendoza. Also linebacker Edmond is no slouch holding down the middle of the field. This is clearly going to be a team that is solid for the next few seasons and will be one to watch as they continue to come together. Their dynasty is one that the players truly believe in and it will be exciting seeing them build it as time goes on.

(448 words)

Tier 3: 15)

My Favorite non-playoff game this season was Week 15 matchup between the Austin Copperheads and the Arizona Outlaws. Leading up to the game, both squads pretty much knew that it could potentially decide who makes the playoffs. If Austin won, they would just need to win in week 16 to make it. If Arizona would win, they would all but lock up the wildcard seed as well. That set the stage for an epic battle to happen in Arizona. For myself, looking at Slinky Claxton’s past played a huge narrative in this game. He had just been traded from Arizona to Austin in the offseason and was having a pretty decent season on the Defensive Line. For him, this was a big time revenge game opportunity. He would want nothing more than to show the team that traded him what could’ve been. The game was extremely back and forth and a defensive showdown. The score was 10-9, in favor of Austin going into the 4th quarter when Baby Yoda would run in a touchdown to take a 15-10 lead for Arizona. Mendonca would run one in later taking the lead 16-15. With a one point lead, Arizona was moving the ball downfield. Then, with 2:04 left in the game, on a 3rd and 4, Slinky Claxton would make a huge sack on his former team. The next play, MacGregor, former teammate of Claxton, would make the game ending sack. Huge win for Austin and the beginning of what would end up being their run to the Ultimus.

(260 words)

Tier 3: 22)

If the league pro bowl had a skills competition, it would be one of the more thrilling moments of the season. The skills would have to vary demonstrating different key attributes that separate the average player from the star. To demonstrate speed and agility, the players would be playing a game of tag. This is simple enough but would still be pretty fun to watch. For strength, again lets keep it simple and hold an arm wrestling competition. To make things interesting, there would have to be some challenge to demonstrate the strong will of the players. This is where there would be an eating competition. The foods could vary from common hot dogs all the way to the more disgusting such as bugs or cow intestines. Would be a good time watching our athletes attempt to press on with something they are uncomfortable with. I would say one more game to demonstrate teamwork would be a nice addition. Perhaps capture the flag or a game of laser tag. This would be fun to show off communication skills and such. Then in addition to these, we would have the more common skills games that is shown in the NFL competition. As far as performance goes, I think this format would suit a variety of players with varying abilities which would make it more entertaining than just skilled roles. The ASFC would likely come out on top but it would be a pretty close contest.

(244 words)

(S23) - Ultimus Week - RDBSouthPaw - 07-29-2020

Tier 1: 5) Ultimus Week, a wonderful time of year that means a new champion will be crowned in both the DSFL and the ISFL and a time of hope for the teams that did not acheive their goals. Weeks of hard work have finally paid off for two lucky teams as the season will draw to a close. For many it might be the last season that their player will take part in and for others it will be a stepping stone to the next level or to another new challenge. Either way scouting is going to be a key issue to fill the holes that teams have for the coming season. This means there will be endless messages to top prospects trying to figure out the key questions that all managers want to know. "Are you willing to position swap or play out of position?" "How has the league been treating you so far?" and of course "Which teams are your favorites coming into the draft?" All of these questions are important and they provide invaluable information to the War Room and the General Managers of every team. However, when you have 12 teams ask the same questions over and over again, it gets a little, exhausting. I had the priviledge of being scouted for the upcoming ISFL draft and I believe I ended up speaking to every single team in the draft besides San Jose. Sometimes I would even speak to a team multiple times and let me tell you something. One thing always remained the same, they would all message me the same 5-6 questions in numbered format to respond too. So I would take my time and answer the questions and then after that it would seem like the conversation would be done. There was nothing left to talk about. I could not tell if teams had a genuine interest in scouting me and signing me or if they were just checking off some boxes that they wanted to know. After a couple of days of responding to the same questions I got tired of it and did not even feel like responding to the teams that were repeating questions. I think that it is time to update the way we scout. To make it easier on not only the individuals being scouted but also to make it easier on everyone that is doing the scouting. To me this would look like one of two ways. The first way would be to create a designated scouting forum page in which each incoming class of rookies for both the DSFL and the ISFL. This would allow a central location in which the General Managers and Scouting teams around the league would get together and decide on a set number of questions and what those questions would be on to the forum page. That would then allow every incoming player to post their answers to just one designated located and not have to type them out or copy and paste them to every team that wants to know the same answers. That way if teams wanted to know something outside of the questions decided on then they would need to still contact the individual but, it would be something new and interesting the player probably has not talked about with anyone else. To me that would lead to more conversations happening between scouts and prospects which would lead to more individuals feeling connected and valued rather than being a check mark off of some teams draft board. The other way we could approach it is to have the scouting teams understand that a conversation means more to a player than just a set of generic questions. Teams could take some time and educate their scouting department on a way to more effectively reach individuals instead of turning some people off to the league by causing them to do the same thing over and over again. Now I know to a lot of people this issue does not seem like a big deal and that is fine. To me it is a big deal and it is something that I feel like we as a league need to change. With the upcoming reddit class being as large as it is, it is now more exhausting than ever to reach out to every individual and compile answers to share with the rest of the war room. We need to a central location that can help to speed up scouting and allow us to explore more personal conversations with the prospects we are interested in. To all the scouts out their that have made an effort to continuously connect and reach out to prospects I applaud you. You help to make this league feel welcoming and help to fill upcoming players with excitement and hope. You make it to where being scouted means something and that is huge for a new player. Lets move beyond the generic questions and start putting some effort in to our scouting so that we can continue to grow in numbers and finally do it in a more efficient and enjoyable way!

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Rise of Smitty - 07-29-2020

15) Choose your favorite non-playoffs game of this season, whether your own team or another. Explain what was so special and why the winner ultimately came out victorious, including key players and moments.

Looking back at this long and arduous season there were not a lot of high points for Tre'Darius J'Vathon. Looking back it was a very mixed bag and unfair treatment by management. However if there is one game to look back at and be proud of it would be in week 10 in a 31-16 blowout victory over eventual Ultimu Champions Norfolk Seawolves. J'Vathon had his biggest game of the season when he went off for 4 catches, 80 yards, and a pair of touchdowns. The biggest one was the one to kick off the game when he outmuscled his match up in the end zone for a 26 yard touchdown in a 1 on 1 scenario. This score happened just a few minuets into the game and set the tone for an eventual blowout. That was the key to this big victory was the hot start and the splash play that got the rest of the Royals team believing in themselves while casting doubt in the Seawolves players minds. That play and performance combined with a stout defensive showing led the Royals to bleeding down much of the clock by grinding out 18 carries for 88 yards and a touchdown with running back Danny King. This was a huge statement victory for the season and catapulted the team to three more victories in a row.

Code:
226 words

19) Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, highlights, or anti-Semitic Instagram posts. I’m joking about that last one, please don’t bring up bigotry.

The ISFL draft is currently under way in the private dungeons of the ISFL general managers but that doesn't mean we can't take a look at a player and hype them up a bit. The player I want to talk about is none other than Tijuana Luchadores quarterback Mike Boss Jr. This kid is the truth and many general managers will sadly not realize that until it is too late and he is hoisting multiple Ultimus trophies over his head when he reaches the ISFL. Taking a look at this kid he has everything you want in a quarterback. He is a tall drink of water at 6 foot 7 inches and he tips the scales at 260 pounds. He is not easy to take down and while he isn't the most agile of quarterbacks his size and strength allows him to stand in the pocket with defenders draped all over him and still deliver strikes all over the field. Many scouts have taken notice of his advanced mind at such a young age as he has the uncanny ability to read and react to defenses during the pre-snap stage. While he did not start for Tijuana this year, he is expected to take over next season, and he has already been granted full range to change the play at the line of scrimmage. His arm is top notch as well and he can fit a football into a soda can his accuracy is so deadly. Don't be the team that needs a quarterback and passes on Mike Boss Jr. because you don't know his name or what he is about.

Code:
271 words

22) Imagine that the league’s Pro Bowl included a skills competition similar to the NFL. What sorts of games could you see being implemented? Which players do you think would perform the best in ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, or other games? Which conference would come out on top?

Easily the best part of the NFL Pro Bowl is the skills and games competitions before the game. The actual game is boring for the most part but it's fun to see premier athletes take part in childhood games and have a fun time while showcasing elite athletic ability. Should the DSFL hold an event such as this I could see them implementing the QB Skills challenge, Obstacle Course, Capture the Flag, and then cap it off with one giant game of good old classic Dodgeball. If they were to implement this it would be another great way for some DSFL players to showcase their athletic ability as well as their personalities. If these were the events in place I could see Mike Boss Jr. being a favorite for the QB Skills challenge. His size, athletic prowess, intelligence and ability to sling a football would be on full display as he runs away with this one. Then we move onto the obstacle course and you would have to look at an all-around athlete that not only is fast but is quick, strong, and highly intelligent. Danny King, running back of the London Royals, I think would be a top contender in this area as he has elite speed and quickness but also is a strong and stout back. Then you take a look at Capture the Flag and you gotta think Tre'Darius J'Vathon would dominate this as he is the fastest player in the league. Finally, dodgeball, if this were a conference vs. conference battle I would look to the DSFL South to take this one as they have many of the top quarterbacks and running backs in the league. Overall these would be fun events and bring a lot of fan fair to the developmental leagues.

Code:
Words: 297

23) Present your argument for the playoffs MVP. Show their stats and impact on the games that they played.

I think if you are awarding a playoff Most Valuable Player award than it has to go to a player on the team that won it all. In the DSFL that would be the Norfolk Seawolves and funny enough I don't really see a skill player or defensive player that stood out above the rest in both games. They had a nice mixture of performances all across the board but lacked that one obvious choice. You could go with the running back Rogers who had 188 rushing yards and a touchdown between the two games or A. de Pengu on the defense who led the team in tackles and had a couple tackles for loss. However I am not going in either direction there and I am going with a shocker here. The kicker Guava-Fresca was the most integral part of the Seawolves championship. Kicking in the DSFL is lacking for talent and can be very questionable and nerve racking. That was not the case with Guava-Fresca as he had ice in his veins both games. In the first game he went 4-4 in field goals and nailed his only extra point. The Seawolves stalled on many drives but Guava-Fresca had their back each time. Then you move onto the championship game and he is straight money going 4-4 again with two extra points. You add that up and you see he was 8-of-8 on field goals and 3-of-3 on extra points. That translates to 100% and 27 total points of the 45 they scored overall. That is incredible coming from a developmental kicker and I am not sure they would of been the champs if it wasn't for Guava-Fresca bailing them out of a ton of drives.

Code:
Words: 288

(S23) - Ultimus Week - juniped - 07-29-2020

2.5 20) [Image: jLn5egy.png]

2.5 18) [Image: 4wf81vm.png]

Tier 2:

8) Liberty finally made playoffs after a long stretch they finally made it. and then we fell out of playoffs in the first round. Something that jumps out at me that we need Improvement on first of all Has to be our offensive line. Our entire offensive line is basically just Simon out there by himself doing his best to protect Brock from the entire defensive line trying to crush him. We have really good receivers and a really good quarterback but when he has no time to get the ball out because Simon is out one v fiving the entire enemy team while they int down mid into our pocket then there's nothing we can do. Time and time again our offense of drives are broken up by sack after sack after sack. and honestly that's something that we're all a little tired of we can't let Simon be the only person out there protecting Brock. If we can get that short up this season I think we stand a real chance at coming up. Our offense and defense are pretty young, mostly our defense oh, so with a couple more key pieces on our defensive side I think we stand a chance to be the top defense in the league. If only I can stop dropping passes LMAO. Now there may not be any free agents we can sign, as I think our cap space is not great but with a lot of our top players taking some team-friendly deals I think we have a chance to still get some good players. Something that I do have to note is that are primary running back, Sam Torenson is getting older and it might be a good idea for our team to start looking into our placement for him once he gets deep into aggression. He only has a season or two of really good performance left in him so if we want to stay good we should start looking into replacement for him as well as a replacement for nacho Varga, the primary wide receiver. Luckily nacho has two good receivers of Randy Vuxta and Flash Panda behind him while Sam has fuzzy behind him ready to take the mantle. So focusing on defensive players, mostly on the defensive line is probably going to be the number one priority for the immediate future for Philadelphia. Secondary would be our defensive backs, and after that's done we can look into their future of our offense of The Replacements for Sam & Nacho in two to three seasons. We have a couple of players who could possibly fill some of those roles in the lineup right now but it's also possible they could switch to defensive players and Shore up holes we have immediately. Of course all that is a moot point if we don't get our offensive line backed up, so can't forget about that.

484 words

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Ephenssta - 07-29-2020

Tier 2:
8) It’s always important to look forward to the future. Examine your team, and in 400 words or more, talk about how they can improve themselves to get a stab at trophy contention next year. Are you loaded with draft capital for the next draft? Do you have plenty of cap space to sign free agents? Go through the roster and note the different strengths and weaknesses, and how you think those will change over the next few seasons. How should your team adapt?

There is one very obvious and very simple way that my team, the Colorado Yeti, could have used this offseason to improve. Sign me. Mo Berry, a top ten player in sacks, decided to call it quits and mark the end of one of the greatest LB careers this sim has ever seen. The man was LBOTY four times and made seven Pro Bowls and will most likely be inducted into the Hall of Fame nearly as soon as he is eligible. His retirement leaves some very big shoes to fill and I am finally beginning to grow into my own shoes. I think I have what it takes to fill in and help keep this defense, and team, dominant. I have played three seasons in the NSFL and ISFL, so my career is relatively young. But I have certainly left my mark. I finished second in the league in tackles in Season 22, only one behind the league leader and record holder for most tackles in a single season in the 13 game era. During that season, I became the record holder in Philadelphia for most tackles in a season, though I am sure that record will quickly be smashed now that we play 16 games. My totals declined this most recent season, but there is good reason for that. I began making the transition from middle linebacker to SLB, so playing time was split between these two positions, meaning I was unable to achieve my potential at either potential, but in Colorado I will have access to legendary coaching and a guarantee to play SLB, since I’m filling those massive Shoes that Mo wore (seriously, the dude had some huge feet). But in addition to my on-field presence, I bring something unique as well. I run a highly successful, dare I say legendary, minibar out of my locker in the clubhouse. It has a five-star rating on Google Maps, in case you were wondering. So while I am confident I can bring some impressive performances to the field, I am even more confident that I can elevate an already great clubhouse into something…better. I’m not entirely sure how it will be better, but increased comradery is always good, right? Finally, I am continuing to pick up more TPE. I don’t claim to be earning at a uniquely impressive rate, I am still getting better each week and cannot wait to continue to grow as a Yeti. To sum things up, SLB went from a massive strength of the yeti defense to an uncertainty with Mo retiring, to locked back up again if/when they acquire my talents. (438 words)

Tier 3:
15) Choose your favorite non-playoffs game of this season, whether your own team or another. Explain what was so special and why the winner ultimately came out victorious, including key players and moments.

The Liberty were at a rough place coming into this game. Despite a poor start to the season, we had managed to fight our way back into a chance at the playoffs, but we badly needed to win the final game of the season against the Wraiths after losing the previous two to the Hawks and Sailfish. It was a win-and-in type situation. The scoring opened early. Just over a minute into the game, Bigsby dropped back and found his pass intercepted by D’Attoria. D’Attoria found himself with the ball and a clear path to the endzone, putting the Liberty up 7-0. A few minutes later, Varga caught a bullet from Phoenix to double the lead. We never looked back. With both the offense and defense finding the endzone, we carried a 28-7 lead into the half and spirits were high. Things were looking good, but we couldn’t allow ourselves to relax. This season had been incredibly unlucky and you could feel that we were all trying not to let the “what ifs” back into our heads. The third quarter looked bad, though. We went scoreless and let the Wraiths cut the lead down to 11 before the defense stepped back up in the fourth. I personally finished with double digit tackles and a sack, an effort that I will always be proud of. The rest of the team had a great game and we felt dominant heading into the first playoff game of my career, following our 35-17 win to clinch the 3 seed and a playoff berth. (260 words)

17) Choose any award from the past 22 offseasons that you think should’ve gone to a different contender. Why was your chosen candidate’s season superior to the actual winner?

Last offseason, a player was left off the awards ballot entirely, despite having a record-breaking season. I remember getting online to watch the last stream of the regular season knowing that I needed a strong performance to climb into the top 10 all time leaders for tackles in a single season. And although I already had the Liberty record in the bag, I wanted to extend my lead a little bit. If only I’d known that we would soon be moving to a sixteen game season… I also knew that a strong performance could very well see me leading the league in tackles, something I would love to do. But there were a few people in my way. H. Edmond was one of those few. The linebacker for Austin was playing incredibly and, if I remember right, they were the final team playing on stream. Edmond ended up eclipsing my tackle mark by one single tackle that night. I would later find out that his impressive total of 135 tackles was, in fact, the most tackles ever recorded in the “modern” era of the rules. He was left off the ballot entirely because the committee devalued tackles. I was told that there was a vote on whether or not he should be on the ballot, but a committee member has informed me that there was no vote and that Edmond was simply left off at the discussion of the committee head due to him feeling tackles aren’t an important stat since they might be at the end of a good play for the offense and, therefore, shouldn’t be considered for awards. They were more than happy to include someone on the defensive line simply for having a high tackle total, though. Edmond should have been LBOTY, but wasn’t even placed on the ballot. Middle linebackers are severely under appreciated during awards season. (312 words)

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Skyfish - 07-29-2020

Tier 2 pod with @209tacos +5
PBE CW +2.5
22) Imagine that the league’s Pro Bowl included a skills competition similar to the NFL. What sorts of games could you see being implemented? Which players do you think would perform the best in ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, or other games? Which conference would come oumatches.
I think we could come up with some really fun ideas for games during pro bowl week. I think we could follow the watt siblings with their game of ultimate tag where the defensive skill players could show off their abilities while the offensive skill players try to get them instead, we could see some real showdowns and i think everyone would get a kick out of that. We could also maybe do a yearly combine to see how players advance through their carrer and give better metrics on players every season. I love the idea of also doing a punt pass and kick competition to see if the kickers continue to beat quarterbacks and also to test what special teasers you want for that secret play. The true best thing to watch them play however would be hockey and ice skating. Put these giants on a pair of skates and really see who's the most agile. Could you imagine seeing a kicker team skating circles around an offensive line team only to end up with 4 o linemen standing in front of the goal leaving literally no space for a puck to fit. How about the speed match up of corners and wide outs. I think we could see some very interesting matchups.

214 words
+10TPE

(S23) - Ultimus Week - thevoicelesscreator - 07-29-2020

5) Write 800 words or more on something that interests you. It could be related to statistics, to a league issue you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 800 words about your team’s Werewolf server. Be warned that freedom comes with risk, and this category will be judged especially stringently for anyone trying to spew complete nonsense.

Something that has always intrigued me was the rate of GM burnout. Every season we see it – the massive wave of GM step downs and retirements. Now, this could be due to a few reasons. I’ve seen it because vets want to give the young up and comers a chance, and I’ve seen it because of life commitments, but more often than not, I’ve seen it because of league burnout. Too much time spent grinding away has eroded their love for the league and made them forget what made them want to GM in the first place.

Before I became a GM, I always wondered why. Always asked myself what makes the job so volatile. Having interacted with a number of GMs, it ruled out the conclusion of it being people. Not all GMs were bad people, just some of them. To be honest, the burnout levels were so bad, that I actually considered not being a GM until at least my second player. But the opportunity came up, and I really just could not help myself. So I said yes, and immediately found out why so many GMs burnout so quick.

There is so god damn much to do. Let me break it down for you – and we’ll start at Week 1 because the offseason is a different beast. Your DC’s is due the night before Week 1 plays, 8PM EST. If you care in the slightest, you have 1 day to sim test for your team to figure out what sort of wacky combination of DC and strategies will work. 1 day because the preseason file doesn’t actually release to the public until after the DSFL Preseason Sim show. Yeah, the one with all your new drafted players (we’ll get to drafting), so yeah – while not impossible to test before the file comes out at the ISFL level (using a save state from the last season), teams have changed so much that its such a stretch call your results even semi accurate. So yeah, you really have to wait.

If you’re lucky, you’ll have another simmer who can help you out on your team. If you don’t? Well good luck until you figure it out around W3 or W4. While this is going on, you also have to try and drive activity in your locker room. Because no one wants a dead LR, and no one wants to be in a dead LR. Player retention is key in both DSFL and ISFL, and the key to player retention is building a relationship with your players. Finding ways to engage with your players is absolutely the best way to bolster player retention, but not everyone is engaged the same way. Some players are chatters, and that’s fun. Other players is straight business, they want to know how to build, where to spend money, and how to earn best. And because you’re the GM, you need to have the answers.

There is also the behind the scenes work that goes on. The parleying with the Sim Team (to ensure your DC’s are correct for the game the next day), the jousting with Head Office, the communication with other GMs in GM Chat, and of course dealing with other team’s and their agendas (Don’t act like your team doesn’t have one, we all do). If your free time, you’ll want to be updating any sort of information sheets you may have that will make your life so much easier. If you don’t have them? Well have fun setting those up because with the way the league has grown, organization is absolutely essential.