International Simulation Football League
Birthday AMA - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Birthday AMA (/showthread.php?tid=22178)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Birthday AMA - Jiggly_333 - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:Happy Birthday! Live it up as much as you can.

I'm gonna spend most of the day catching up on anime from this season that I missed due to having mountains of schoolwork to get done (and the guilt that comes with not doing it). After three intensive weeks of doing schoolwork and just having so much stress, I really want to not be worried about anything right now, not even the pandemic swirling outside my house.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:Any music genres someone might be surprised to discover that you like?

When people say they "listen to everything but country", they don't mean it. I used to say that, but it's wrong. I think you guys know that I like alt rock, indie, I've been getting into rap, and you've probably seen me post some anime OPs.

In terms of weird shit, the reason I bring up "anything but country" is because I've realized recently that I like old school country. Modern pop country is bullshit, but old stuff like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams is not bad. My dad enjoys listening to Outlaw Radio on the XM so I've been hearing it a lot. There's also Progressive Bluegrass, which is a sub-genre that I just really like. Musicians like Chris Thile, Sarah Jarosz, and Sara Watkins are all fantastic.

Then there's jazz, which isn't something that I ever actively seek out, but I enjoy it when it's there. I think anyone who wants to appreciate rap in a better way should listen to more jazz because that's where a lot of the rhythm comes from, it holds a lot of the same qualities. And then there's blues which I think every once in a while, I overload the music channels with a blues run. John Lee Hooker is awesome.

And finally, this one's probably obvious, but I just want to say that 80s Japanese City Pop is the best background music. I just really like synths.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:If you could collaborate with anyone on an album who would it be and why?

I've thought about this a lot. I think I made a mention at the beginning of the pandemic that my Musician Quarantine house that I'd want to make music in would be: Annie Clark, Damon Albarn, and I forgot the last one but I'll mention a few names when I get there.

Annie Clark (St Vincent) is legitimately my hero in terms of songwriting and she inspired me to finally learn guitar and release music (in a very dumb way, but it still happened). I think that she does a great job at knowing how to blend with another artist and amplify their best qualities. I love her collaborations with David Byrne and Andrew Bird and I just want to make music with someone that cool.

Damon Albarn is a fucking magician and knows exactly how to make music that I love. It's not just Gorillaz, it's not just Blur, but he also put out his own solo album of orchestral stuff for the Beijing Olympics called "Journey to the West" and it's just amazing. I would love to work with him and make cool shit. His ability and knowledge is just above almost anyone else in music.

And yeah, this third spot is kind of a free space. I like Chris Thile, who is a progressive bluegrass legend and if you've ever seen Live From Here, he has a really diverse musical taste. Then there's Denzell Curry who I found recently through an anime and I think he's just got a fantastic flow and the way that his mind works in his storytelling is something I love. And final honorable mention is Jack Antonoff, who isn't just from fun and Bleachers, but is also an amazing producer (he's Taylor Swift's producer and even produced St Vincent's last album) and I would want to work with him.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:Any particular goals for the career of your new player?

I want an individual award for once in my goddamn life. The only individual award I've ever earned in all three years of my sim league life was the Turd Ferguson for most PIMs in the SHL (honestly, I'm really proud of that tho). Dottie in PBE has some silver slugger awards, but I don't really count that as much as a specific individual award.

So, my plan is to try to be a supermax earner like Dottie was for an entire year. I slowed down with Rosie probably because I got discouraged by the amount of times per week I have to check the PT section for predictions (all we need is one post per week, damn), but with Fukushuu I'm willing to put in that work.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:What is the mantra that you live by?

Having any one motto is limiting and kind of annoying. I've had a few good quotes to live by in my sig.

"This will have to be funny or else it'll just be sad." - Julien Baker: I think this one is important in that if you look at life objectively with cold hard logic, everything's just sad. It's important to allow yourself to be happy in the face of possible nothingness.

"I live life every day hoping that I'm a slightly kinder person than I was the day before." - Shouko Makinohara: I love this because while it's simple and cheesy, it's something we don't think about. Being a kind person is something you should strive towards.

"Do no harm. Take no shit.": I learned this quote from my old editor-in-chief. This was mostly used in the context of journalism and dealing with some annoying people who would be assholes to the staff on the site. I think that this quote can live in tandem with being a kind person. You don't need to hurt others, but you also shouldn't just let anyone hurt you without consequence.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:What do you think would be the perfect location to film a movie?

Pulaski at Night.
No.
Well, yes, but no.

I really like cities at night. One of the big things I love about East Asian cities is the amount of neon signage. It's not exclusive to those cities, but it is something that I really think is cool. I've made trips home from downtown Chicago and I've really loved the look of any sort of multi-colored lighting feature. It's something that adds texture in my eyes and creates a dream-like landscape.

So perfection would be a mostly empty, but colorfully lit, Chicago street like Madison or something like that.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:Assuming we weren't quarantined what would be your ideal 21sr birthday party?

I was going to have a party with the Chicago Fire supporters' group at a bar downtown, but didn't happen. Would've loved to have had a party at a Chicago soccer game.

(05-18-2020, 07:45 AM)HalfEatenOnionBagel Wrote:What's your favorite type of frog?

Lepidobatrachus laevis

(05-18-2020, 09:02 AM)LimJahey Wrote:Favorite US Football team?

I live in Chicago, but have family in Wisconsin. I think this is why I'm so indecisive.

(05-18-2020, 09:02 AM)LimJahey Wrote:Favorite word that starts with K?

Kanojo

(05-18-2020, 09:02 AM)LimJahey Wrote:Favorite cereal?

Rice Krispies

(05-18-2020, 09:02 AM)LimJahey Wrote:Favorite Date of Birth?

March 14th; whenever I give a character a random birthdate that isn't my own, I almost always go with this for some reason.

Birthday AMA - HalfEatenOnionBagel - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 12:48 PM)Jiggly_333 Wrote:March 14th; whenever I give a character a random birthdate that isn't my own, I almost always go with this for some reason.

Obviously cause pi day

Birthday AMA - nickyvmlp - 05-18-2020

Keeping up with Rose's journey in Sarasota?

Birthday AMA - sapp2013 - 05-18-2020

Are Vinyls actually better than CDs and digital music? is there any love for cassettes?

What are your thoughts on artists pulling an Outkast speakerboxxx/love below album where each person does their own thing and then mashes it together for an unforgettable experience?

What was/will be your first legal drink of choice?

Favorite single A baseball team?

What are the differences between an Anime and a Cartoon?

Did you wear a mask during the pandemic? did you make it, buy it, or have one already?

Trebuchet or catapult?

If someone was flipping a coin, would you choose heads or tails?

Whats your favorite non-English language?

(05-18-2020, 03:05 PM)nickyvmlp Wrote:Keeping up with Rose's journey in Sarasota?
Not really. It's sad that she won't be a Butcher, but it needed to be done. I already sacrificed so much for Chicago, being traded was nothing. I'll check her stats and if they win the Ultimus, I guess that's fun. But I'm already focusing on Fukushuu.

Birthday AMA - Memento Mori - 05-18-2020

(05-18-2020, 05:37 PM)Jiggly_333 Wrote:So, my plan is to try to be a supermax earner like Dottie was for an entire year. I slowed down with Rosie probably because I got discouraged by the amount of times per week I have to check the PT section for predictions (all we need is one post per week, damn), but with Fukushuu I'm willing to put in that work.
Pro tip, if you didn't know: Subscribe to the Point Task forum at the bottom of the page. Forum alert when a new PT goes up, no more checking the PT section needlessly.

No questions, just want to echo CLG Rampage's apology. I don't like what you did but I intended no ill will towards you personally and I hope you have a more positive experience in the league this time around.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:Are Vinyls actually better than CDs and digital music? is there any love for cassettes?

Anyone who believes in a certain superiority of a medium is a piece of shit. I think that the reason why people have skipped over cassettes so much is that they never fully replaced vinyl before CDs came out. I've got Dookie on cassette lying around somewhere, but it's hard to find anything that plays cassette nowadays. You can find record players and CD players, but cassette was kind of just a stop gap between vinyl and digital (including CDs under digital).

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:What are your thoughts on artists pulling an Outkast speakerboxxx/love below album where each person does their own thing and then mashes it together for an unforgettable experience?

I think it just depends on if the two artists are comfortable with being placed next to the other. It's an interesting concept, but I do believe more in the idea of having one unifying concept for a record. I think that's something I've lacked in my own writing and sequencing, but want to get better at. When you release music, you release music. I'd need to listen to the whole album to try to get a feel.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:What was/will be your first legal drink of choice?

Jeppson's Malort. Later today.

[Image: Malort-PDCOver-Feature.jpg]

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:Favorite single A baseball team?

I just found out the Chicago Dogs are not in Single A, they're independent.

I guess it's between the Kane County Cougars cause I know we've got merch from them somehow and the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers because I visit Appleton a lot cause family.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:What are the differences between an Anime and a Cartoon?

I actually did my final project in my film history class about this very idea and after weeks of research, my definitive answer is that there is no real definitive answer. Definitions are created by the consensus of those who use language, so while things can vary person to person, larger definitions of abstract concepts are harder to nail down.

Of course, there's the camps of people who say something needs to be from Japan or have a specific style, but there are animations from Japan that look nothing like "normal" anime and there are American animations that look exactly like anime.

I think that you can try to look for common themes, but those are just genres. In reality, anime is whatever people want anime to be. Whether it's Bebop, Boondocks, or Corey in the House, anime is a medium with no strict limits in my eyes. It's just a feeling you get when watching something and you recognize that it's an anime. It's highly personal and highly subjective, but I'm a writer, not a scientist.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:Did you wear a mask during the pandemic? did you make it, buy it, or have one already?

I haven't been outside in 68 days. Don't even need a mask if you don't go outside.

Although I have been wearing a soccer scarf over my face while mowing the lawn. Haven't been anywhere near people while doing that, but I figured it'd look weird if I was the only one not wearing anything.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:Trebuchet or catapult?

Obviously a trebuchet. Can a catapult fling a 90 kilogram stone projectile over 300 meters?

[Image: CxaxBM_VQAAty_E.jpg]

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:If someone was flipping a coin, would you choose heads or tails?

When making a decision, I have a Chicago Fire challenge coin that I flip. It's got the Fire logo on one side and the fan-made logo on the other. I assign a binary outcome to each side of the coin and then do the opposite thing of what the coin says to do.

So the answer is tails.

(05-18-2020, 03:20 PM)sapp2013 Wrote:Whats your favorite non-English language?

Polish.

I want to learn Spanish for soccer reasons, Japanese for anime reasons, and then Polish because i just want to learn Polish.

Birthday AMA - ADwyer87 - 05-18-2020

Have you slammed down any alcohol tonight?

(05-18-2020, 05:22 PM)ADwyer87 Wrote:Have you slammed down any alcohol tonight?
Not yet and honestly it's probably not a good idea for me too have too much. I'm already like this sober, I don't want anyone dealing with me drunk.