International Simulation Football League
Out of position penalty - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Out of position penalty (/showthread.php?tid=4936)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Out of position penalty - Waters - 09-28-2017

I think the way to go is either out of position penalties or raising the cap on position changes. I don't think it's fair to expect GMs to only play players in their respective positions even if they have a bunch of strong players at one position and a bunch of shitty players at another.

I know as an updater that in Lewith's case, the Sabercats safeties are great and he would never have a chance at passing them this season, but their LBs arent as strong and it gives him a chance to play.

I think either forcing him to position change to play the position but allowing for way more position changes but maybe make it more expensive after the 1st or something, or just applying a 15% penalty or something when playing out of position might be reasonable solutions.

Out of position penalty - BOOM™ - 09-28-2017

When I created, I specifically asked what positions were needed most. DE was one of them. When the Hawks claimed me from waivers, I think they lined me up at DT instead, and I had a decent season for a waiver claim. Fast forward to S3 when I'm playing my actual created position and with the benefit of more TPE and I'm playing like garbage. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe it is something that needs addressing.

Out of position penalty - timeconsumer - 09-28-2017

(09-28-2017, 12:41 AM)Muford Wrote:If that's the case, shouldn't Bork also then not be playing Defensive Tackle? It's crazy that a DE is getting those kind of stats slotted in the defensive tackle position.

EDIT:

Most Defensive Tackles Max Speeds are 65, yet Bork Bjornsson is sitting at 80, slotted in DT. If you don't like safeties playing LB, then DEs shouldn't play DT

Tuck plays at DT too

Also I would like to note that Verns only plays about 50% of his snaps at LB. The rest of the time he's a corner. His tackles are pretty inflated because of the Outlaws game where they just ran the ball directly at him the entire game. They had like 50 rushing attempts. And because they were constantly getting 1st downs and 2nd and shorts we were entirely in 4-3.

All Verns is really doing is taking tackles from his teammates. The only person even close to Verns in speed is Bavitz at 90, but he's on the other side of the formation. Our DEs have speed in the 70s. Our DTs have speed in the 70s. Our ILB has 77 speed. Our defense is just really young so he can beat them to the play. Once they start to catch up in speed his tackles will go down as they start to get to the ball earlier (and maybe then we might even be able to allow less than 7 yards a carry y'know?)

So no, he's not overpowered. He's a big fish in a small pond on a rebuilding Otters defense.

Out of position penalty - iamslm22 - 09-28-2017

(09-28-2017, 08:00 AM)kckolbe Wrote:It's about having a DT position.  Beginning of last season there was a big deal of almost no one creating CBs because S was so much better.  We buffed CB because of it. 

Now, however, we see that there are almost no DTs, but a LOT of DEs.  We see that DE is more effective at DT, so buffing DT kinda makes sense.

The FS at LB, though, is WAY too effective.  Like I said, the TOP two LBs in the league are S, and neither of them are near the TPE of the players they are beating.  That's a huge red flag.

And yes, in 1.5 seasons, I have played one game at CB and one game at SS.  I also play (complete guess here) 35-40% at NB due to our teams laughable CB depth.  I am talking about primary positions, though (which Bork is a great example of). 

In addition, I play a coverage LB, a hybrid of a traditional LB and a S.  It makes sense for me to move around the field a little.  If Lewith were a run stopping S, I wouldn't care, because that archetype implies that role.  But can you really tell me it makes sense for someone with a FIFTY in tackling and a FORTY in strength to lead the entire league in tackles?

Hmmm that's a good point too. There's no reason for Safeties to be so good at linebacker. I don't know that I have an answer. I don't like not allowing people to play out of position.

Out of position penalty - ADwyer87 - 09-28-2017

Boo

Furthermore, if anyone thinks the Otters have an advantage in our front 7 because of Verns you're missing the forest for the trees:

Week 1 vs Liberty: Omar Wright got 4.7 YPC. His average this season is 3.4 YPC.
Week 2 vs Yeti: Boss Tweed got 4.4 YPC. His average this season is 3.7 YPC.
Week 3 @ Wraiths: Nuck got 4 YPC. Season average 3.4 YPC.
Week 4 @ Sabercats: Durden got 2.8 YPC. Season average 2.9...we barely slowed him.
Week 5 vs Outlaws: Mackworthy got 4 YPC. Season average 3.4 YPC.
Week 6 vs Legion: Savea got 2.7 YPC. Season average is 3.2 YPC. We finally got one, vs the worst Oline ever!!
Week 7 vs Sabercats: Durden got 2.9 YPC, matching his season average.

So if Verns is so OP because he'sa safety why do the Otters absolutely suck against the run? My argument is that because our front 7 has 2 inactives and 3 S3 rookies who are all low speed Verns and Bavitz are basically the only ones who can get to the play right now and stop them. Once our S3 rookies start kicking ass (and y'all better watch out when they do) his numbers will regress to the mean because he won't be beating everybody to the tackle.

Out of position penalty - Deusolis - 09-28-2017

Missed tackle numbers would also be useful here. Assuming Verns and Lewith are racking up tackles simply due to volume despite being poor tacklers (in Lewith's case primarily), you'd expect to see them have lots of missed tackles as well.

Out of position penalty - Roshambo - 09-28-2017

Bullies. Sad

Out of position penalty - DELIRIVM - 09-28-2017

(09-27-2017, 09:32 PM)kckolbe Wrote:The two leading tacklers in the league are safeties playing at LB.  When it was Verns I didn't think much of it.  Dude was a high TPE player.  But now Torque Lewith?  The speed cap for safety makes them better for LB, since strength appears to mean pretty much nothing when tackling (source: Lewith bringing down Jenkins ALL NIGHT on Friday).

Just as CB was adjusted because S was better at CB than CB was, should we look at changing something here?  Again, not only are they at the top...it's kinda not even close.

If we're whining about this can I please also bring up DEs playing DT. The top two sack men in the NSFL are Jayce Tuck and Bjork Bjornsson. Defensive Ends playing DT. We limited the speed on Defensive Tackles to avoid this shit and guess what is happening? DEs at the DT position are feasting.

Some shit needs to be changed before this league gets even more out of control.