International Simulation Football League
Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Will there ever be a QB drafted again? (/showthread.php?tid=7422)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - SwagSloth - 05-02-2019

I think it just comes down to whether or not immersion is worth the cost of us losing players. Position switch is a great way for a player who doesn't enjoy their position to breathe new life into that character. They can always recreate, but starting over isn't the most appealing thing for someone who already wasn't enjoying themselves.

While it can be annoying to see a DT become a QB or WR, ask yourself if that's something that would cause you to want to leave the league. Because people leave all the time due to losing interest in their character and unrestricted position switches are the best solution currently on the table.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - Jonny2x - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 12:58 PM)SwagSloth Wrote:I think it just comes down to whether or not immersion is worth the cost of us losing players. Position switch is a great way for a player who doesn't enjoy their position to breathe new life into that character. They can always recreate, but starting over isn't the most appealing thing for someone who already wasn't enjoying themselves.

The point on the table was possibly losing interested people because there is no avenue for young QB's to grow. I don't have a clue about the numbers on either side of the issue.

To me, if someone is losing interest they are going to end up gone at some point. Hoping they hang on by allowing a position change that frustrates many hardly seems worth it.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - manicmav36 - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 12:58 PM)Jonny2x Wrote:The point on the table was possibly losing interested people because there is no avenue for young QB's to grow.  I don't have a clue about the numbers on either side of the issue.

The original post here is a bit outdated. Before this was made, there was only a 50% penalty when switching to any position (QB included). This has since been amended and players changing to QB can only move 25% of their total TPE. While is it possible to still have a veteran move to QB, it makes it far more likely that this is just a stop-gap solution. Take Reese in AZ as an example. His QBR was nearly 17 points below the league average and almost 11 below the next worst this past season. The only reason it semi-worked for them is because he is a fairly young player. The days of moving your highest TPE player to QB are over.

(05-02-2019, 12:58 PM)Jonny2x Wrote:To me, if someone is losing interest they are going to end up gone at some point.  Hoping they hang on by allowing a position change that frustrates many hardly seems worth it.

While I don't agree with your first sentence, there is some merit. To say that it frustrates "many" seems to be a massive overstatement, however.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - SwagSloth - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 12:42 PM)manicmav36 Wrote:The original post here is a bit outdated. Before this was made, there was only a 50% penalty when switching to any position (QB included). This has since been amended and players changing to QB can only move 25% of their total TPE. While is it possible to still have a veteran move to QB, it makes it far more likely that this is just a stop-gap solution. Take Reese in AZ as an example. His QBR was nearly 17 points below the league average and almost 11 below the next worst this past season. The only reason it semi-worked for them is because he is a fairly young player. The days of moving your highest TPE player to QB are over.
I also had to bank about 50-75 TPE on my own to make it work. And that was just to move into Game Manager or Mobile. To go Gunslinger or Pocket Passer instead, it took about $7 mil worth of TPE redistributions (spread out over last season and this season) to get all of the TPE moved into valid stats. It was a very, very expensive process.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - PaytonM34 - 05-02-2019

Hey, there's no reason Brave Ulysses can't hit the p90X program and lose 150 pounds to become a 190lb CB

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - Tomasnz - 05-13-2019

Just my two cents here as someone has been around for all of five minutes. But I did create almost with the intention of making a switch, so i have thought a little about this.

Hot take. Changing to QB shouldn't be allowed. But changing from qb to something else should be similar to OL changes.

So. What this would do is enable more people to try QB and see if they have what it takes. And then... In a very normal thing, transition to another position if they have what that takes.

That there isn't a huge prospect pool of QBs isn't that surprising considering that there is a big red sign saying, WAIT DONT MAKE A QB UNLESS YOU ARE SUPER SURE! when you make a new player.

I think considering the current costs and only being able to move 25% of your tpe that seems like a okay and necessary flexibility for senior LR players and GMs to make for the good of the team if they really want to. BUT. I think a free position change for QBs would enable more prospects to try it out and then if there is a log jam of talent just transfer to another position before being drafted/called up.

I think position changes is a great aspect of this SIM league since in some ways position changing is a natural part of football irl. But I think maybe they could be slightly more restrictive to reflect actual football.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - iamslm22 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 03:00 AM)Tomasnz Wrote:Just my two cents here as someone has been around for all of five minutes. But I did create almost with the intention of making a switch, so i have thought a little about this.

Hot take. Changing to QB shouldn't be allowed. But changing from qb to something else should be similar to OL changes. 

So. What this would do is enable more people to try QB and see if they have what it takes. And then... In a very normal thing, transition to another position if they have what that takes.

That there isn't a huge prospect pool of QBs isn't that surprising considering that there is a big red sign saying, WAIT DONT MAKE A QB UNLESS YOU ARE SUPER SURE! when you make a new player.

I think considering the current costs and only being able to move 25% of your tpe that seems like a okay and necessary flexibility for senior LR players and GMs to make for the good of the team if they really want to. BUT. I think a free position change for QBs would enable more prospects to try it out and then if there is a log jam of talent just transfer to another position before being drafted/called up.

I think position changes is a great aspect of this SIM league since in some ways position changing is a natural part of football irl. But I think maybe they could be slightly more restrictive to reflect actual football.

I know you're new, but we shouldn't encourage people to take a position that is not needed. New creates as QBs are giant risks.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - Tomasnz - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 01:51 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:I know you're new, but we shouldn't encourage people to take a position that is not needed. New creates as QBs are giant risks.

Like yeah. No, I get that. But at the same point the consequence of stopping people making QBs is that there are far fewer prospects in that position.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - iamslm22 - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 10:06 AM)Tomasnz Wrote:Like yeah. No, I get that. But at the same point the consequence of stopping people making QBs is that there are far fewer prospects in that position.

Two big time recreates made QB and were drafted 1st and 2nd overall in the S14 draft. 2 young QBs (one recreate and one new guy) got drafted above other actives in the S15 draft. It's not impossible, but GMs want reliability.

Will there ever be a QB drafted again? - timeconsumer - 05-13-2019

(05-13-2019, 10:30 AM)iamslm22 Wrote:Two big time recreates made QB and were drafted 1st and 2nd overall in the S14 draft. 2 young QBs (one recreate and one new guy) got drafted above other actives in the S15 draft. It's not impossible, but GMs want reliability.

throwing shade at jiggly