International Simulation Football League
(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf (/showthread.php?tid=23571)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Blasoon - 07-14-2020

Before I start to ramble on with my ideas, I really like the new change in name. Although, I might have liked 'global' more, if only to make the acronym rhyme with the DSFL.

Personally, it is rather hard for me to suggest changes as I still feel relatively new here yet I would probably have to say that I would love for more analytical data in the league. I think that if there were a dedicated team, with league jobs to track stats over relying purely on what is recorded by draft day sports. My biggest example for this would be third down and fourth down stops from defensive players. I feel like a lot of awards season criticism points towards the selection of defensive players, and I believe knowing how vital a player was to killing drives on third and fourth down would really go a long way in refining the selection process and making it easier for those in the selection process to choose the right people for awards and pro bowl nods.

I think that making this a role and a paid position would encourage more engagement in the league as it would lead to more people analysing the sim (as flawed as it is) and would hopefully lead to more analytical based pieces of media and further dissection of the game, and subsequently lead to more evolution of the league. Ultimately, I am hoping that through further exploration into more specific data in the league, more users would feel inclined to study the sim more.

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Muford - 07-14-2020

http://probaseballexperience.jcink.net/ind...ndpost&p=199361

welfare

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - ddrector - 07-14-2020

PBE CW PT

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - HENDRIX 2.0 - 07-14-2020

The two major issues with the league were recently solved with the name change and the eventual move off of jcink. The name change was completed about three in real life years late but is much welcomed. Next up I would have to say that spicing up our home page would be a good idea. Right now it’s just a couple colors and tons of links with our recent Ultimus champions up top. This league has many talented graphics related people, but I am not one of them. I could hardly make anything in microsoft paint. But if I were in charge of anything I would recruit them and bring our pages to life. Not sure how that would work on mobile though, but on desktop I’m sure it would look great. Another thing that would be great would be to make grading PTs and all player TPE applications automated. For example: I complete this PT and submit it, I would immediately get my 4 TPE (there would need to be some oversight so people just don’t submit gibberish). Then I pull up my player page and it says I have 4 TPE to use, I would then click on which attribute to apply it to. And that’s that. Oh yeah, also it’s obvious several archetypes are better with 79 speed instead of the cap of 80. Just take 2 minutes and change the max in these archetypes to 79. (240 words)

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Jay_Doctor - 07-14-2020

I honestly feel that the league is as strong as it has ever been. I come in having only been around for about 20% of that, but still the point remains. There isn’t a lot that I strongly disagree with to the point I would fight about it. I trust the heads in charge have continually made choices for the betterment of the league. I also feel that they have not gotten enough praise for that work. There have been some absolutely brutal choices that have had to be made and HO has come through time and again. My biggest gripe about the now ISFL would be the sim itself. Yes, it’s the most talked about thing imaginable. Still, it can be a big source of frustration. I’ve heard that we have tried to reach out to Wolverine being one of their biggest advertisers of the game and didn’t get much of a response. It would be nice to get our version updated though. We will be coming up on a version that is 5 years old soon. I know the current limitations of the new one makes it difficult to stream, so maybe it’s not an option. Here’s to hoping OOTP makes a sim for football. It sounds like they were working on a project called Front Office Football, but in the last month have tabled it. For actual league development, I have unoriginal ideas to mention. I believe the newsletter said it was in progress, but the PBE sidebar is glorious and would make life easier here. I also like the idea of making updates easier via an application or google doc updater. Anything to make the updater’s lives easier is a big plus. Also, keep creating league jobs. No matter how specific or small it is, I think the opportunity to get even more people involved if they want to is a good thing. Lastly, and possibly the most spicy, expand with 4 more teams in the NSFL. I understand the argument for taking things only 2 teams at a time and that’s probably the best course of action, but it seems inevitable that we have multiple expansions on the horizon. 16 teams would realistically be an amazing number structurally. Having 16 would allow 2 divisions within each conference. It would be interesting to see what the playoff structure would be then. Do Division winners get a bye then or does it go purely by record? Playoffs would then jump to 8 teams as well now. No more byes that list a team playing them because the sim can’t figure out how to show a bye. The actual headache a 4-team expansion would cause seems quite large, but I would like to think that doing one bigger expansion would almost be easier on everyone compared to two smaller ones potentially close together. The biggest hold up would be getting another reddit class. This whole idea seems not so great if a bigger class is not coming through.

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Highhaschdi - 07-14-2020

I think the name change and moving away from jcink are important changes. To really make sure, the ISFL lives up to the name, the ISFL should have more teams on other continents, which should be realized by the upcoming expansion. I'd love to see at least 1 European team in the ISFL. Expansion is also something I'm really excited about and I hope that we can expand to 16 teams in the ISFL while still remaining at 8 teams for the DSFL, so we can have divisions with 4 teams each for both leagues. That would definitely strengthen the rivalries and the excitement in the ISFL.
Other changes I'd really like to see are bringing back predictions for every week and getting rid of trivia. That would help to make all games more meaningful as lots of user don't care about other conferences without having predictions or a bet on the game.
I'd also like to shorten the length of a season by a week, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it, as double headers take much time and with a potential expansion having 16 games a day regularly is way too much.
Another thing that should be changed in my opionion is users holding multiple positions in the league while other talented and motivated users are applying for those positions.

(228 words)

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Haseo - 07-14-2020

PBE CW Welfare

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - Frick_Nasty - 07-14-2020

I think I have gone on record about what needs to change for the better here at the national, shit I mean international simulation football league. For starters needed change for sure needs to be about the dreaded E word. I am talking about expansion. International simulation football league general managers do not get a fair notice on when expansion will be coming. Usually it is less than a season to plan. Which is unfair because when you are making an ultimus worthy team it takes multiple seasons to creat and an expansion drafts can ruin your building. Look at the case of Baltimore Hawks. If they did not already plan to have drafted a quarter back for Ravens regression they would have been without a quarter back for the next season and would have had to started most likely a true rookie quarter back. Let me tell you that is not fun. The Colorado Yeti did this and we only won one game that season because we played another team the Austin copperheads who also had a rookie starting quarterback. The issue with expansion is they rely on these big reddit draft classes instead of trying to spread out their recruitment in my opinion. If recruitment was more spread out we could work our way into an expansion rather than jump into one as a necessity due to a large increase in volume of members.

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - abh89 - 07-14-2020

To start, I want to say that the name change for the league was needed from the perspective of a new player like myself. Disassociating from the other unfortunate use of the NSFL acronym could not have come soon enough. Using that name change to include our teams and prospects outside of the states was a nice touch as well.

One change that seems very evident to me is a migration of the bank to a more robust database solution. It does the job in its current capacity but is tremendously slow and clunky. It is also is not very mobile friendly now, which I think is a necessity for as many league resources as possible.

Another potential change I think would make things interesting is to move the playoffs to a 3-game series format. We all know how random the sim can be, which is fun to see at times during the regular season, but in the playoffs, it would provide more reliable results to run multiple games to determine who advances. The randomness and unpredictability add a level of excitement for some users though, which is why I proposed the low number of 3. The upset bids are still possible but champions can not be crowned by an anomaly or “sim gonna sim”.

Code:
215 words

(S23) - PT 5 - A New Leaf - PMoney - 07-14-2020

There is one thing in the league that succs even more than Frost, and that is the sim. The rule book itself is a testament in part to how clunky and disorganised the sim is.

Positional rules are full of caveats and restrictions, not because they are realistic, but because most things break the sim. A player playing out of position or playing with e different tag to their name would not affect how they play at a certain position. Whether you call a player like Jamal Adams a Safety or a Linebacker doesn’t affect how he plays in the game, but in the sim, the tagged position is a massive deal. 79 speed on a player should not be way higher than 80 speed, that’s not how numbers work. While everyone is operating under the same rules, it’s confusing for new players and counter intuitive.

Home Field Advantage is huge, and everyone knows that. It’s unsatisfying to watch a game and as you see your team’s dot make a first down, only to realise as the away team you are still several yards away from the first down marker. There’s probably a 20% gap between home and away games which is fine when every team plays each other home and away like within conferences, but in cross-conference games and most importantly, the Ultimus, it’s a massive deal.
Is there a solution to the sim problems? Maybe not. Simulation games isn’t a massive industry so there isn’t a great deal of choice. It’s not a new issue to HO and if it was an easy fix, they would have already done it. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t succ though.