International Simulation Football League
(S23) - Ultimus Week - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S23) - Ultimus Week (/showthread.php?tid=23669)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Net - 07-22-2020

PBE CW

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Lime - 07-22-2020

6) The playoffs have finally arrived. Choose one playoff team that is not your own from either league and recount how they got here in 400 words or more. What challenges and hurdles did they face in the regular season? Did they cruise into home field advantage or have to fight off contenders for the wild card? Are they led by MVP players on offense, or is a stifling defense the engine to their success? Don’t be afraid to go deep.

I will look at the London Royals of the DSFL, because they are the team I was on briefly and went to the Ultimini with last season before being drafted to my full time team.

As I said, they were coming off an Ultimini loss so their expectations this season were surely still high. They managed a 4-1 preseason and were looking to repeat their appearance but this time with a win.

Their season began with three tough games.

Game 1 would be at Kansas City. They would lose 6-19, scoring just 2 field goals. Kicker Karmichael Hunt would be the player of the game for KC scoring 12 of their points.

Game 2 at Minnesota. Minnesota was formidable last year, and proved to be back on track by besting the Royals 20-14. A second half comeback attempt led by Colby Jack was not enough to eliminate their early deficit.

Game 3 would be their first game at home, and it would be against Norfolk. It would be another tough 29-24 loss. They would allow two rushing TDs by Suleiman Ramza, and give up 16 points in the 4th quarter.

This was a rough start for the Royals.

They pick up their first win in Game 4 against Dallas. It’s a solid 29-13 game led by 106.4 passer rating Colby Jack.

But this is followed by two more away losses.

A high scoring 40-24 L at Tijuana. Jack throws 4 interceptions that end any chance of winning in Mexico.

Another loss, this time at Portland. 20-13, with the rushing game carrying Portland to the finish line. Royals backup Cortez scores a TD with just 2 passes.

Their second win would come against Myrtle Beach - 27-10. Running back Batista would get it done for the Royals while the QBs on both sides played questionably.

The Royals would secure their 6th loss on the season at home against Kansas City. 22-13. Cortez would get the lone Royals TD again.

At this point there was little hope in the Royals’ campaign for back to back Ultimini appearances. They were 2-6 and would have to pray for a miracle. They would get one. The Royals would proceed to win 5 games in a row.

29-10 against Minnesota.
31-16 against Norfolk.
20-6 against Dallas.
21-19 against Tijuana.
28-17 against Portland.

5 convincing wins against good teams to prove that London still wants in. They would lose the last game of the season against Myrtle Beach but they will have clinched a playoff spot.

18) Create a billboard, magazine cover, or video game cover depicting a superstar of the league. Graphics only.

[Image: WgMu8qy.png]

25) Select any player who was drafted in the back half of a DSFL or ISFL draft. Show how that player has outperformed their draft position, or how they will soon do so. You cannot write about your own player.

Despite being a meme, the 33rd pick in the most recent DSFL draft, Sergio Kitchens, was actually a good deal. The University of Georgia running back put up significant numbers this season. Meanwhile, the number 4 pick Zoe Watts was a kicker turned running back out of Stanford. These two were 29 picks apart, but put up similar numbers. That is why I think Kitchens was good value. Watts had 237 attempts, putting up 1160 yards. That is good for an average of 4.9 yards. Kitchens had 207 attempts, putting up 951 yards. That is an average of 4.6 yards, just .3 shy of Watts. In this same time, Watts scored 9 touchdowns. Kitchens was right on her tail with 8. Kitchens has gotten Kansas City to the top spot in the NFC. To add to this, Kitchens is managed by WannabeFinn, a proven entity in the ISFL and a sim league veteran. His former player, Kuusela, was an award winning DE and WBF is no stranger to success in the league. He was definitely a steal at 33 and will no doubt prove to be another top player in the future. We will see if Sergio Kitchens will be underrated in the upcoming ISFL draft or if the big leagues will recognize success when they see it.

Total: 10 TPE

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Forty Jordy - 07-22-2020

7)
Let's first talk about the big boy, Big "Snacks" Edd. He has been unstoppable this year; Offensive Lineman have to wear liners inside of their pants that need to be changed after each play they face against Big Edd. He may be slow and may be taking naps during half of the snaps, but when he is ready to attack the quarterback nothing stands in the way between Edd and the quarterback. Don't tell Edd we made this up, but when we need a stop we tell him that the quarterback has a pack of candy corn (the third best candy as according to Edd) stashed away in his armband playbook. And when that doesn't work we tell him skittles (the overall best candy as according to Edd) are stashed away instead. You may think what I am saying is hyperbole and you may or may not be right. Who are you to say otherwise? But it really does demonstrate how much of a beast Edd was on the field. Of course stories don't win you awards, you need the numbers to back it up and Edd can back it up, all you need to look at is how many sacks Big Edd accumulated over the course of 16 games this season. He totaled an astounding 12 sacks! That is 0.75 sacks per game! He did not have the most sacks of all players this past season as their were 3 linebackers with more, but it is understandable that a linebacker would have more sacks than a defensive tackle. However, this is the most sacks for any defensive tackle in the league this season and he had other great players on the line with him such as Thorian Skarsgard and Lanzer Grievous. And do you know who he had more sacks than this season? It was Bubba Thumper, who is a defensive tackle with an incredible 1379 TPE! You could understand having more sacks than other defensive tackles such as Otis Allen who has less than 800 TPE as there is only a 300 TPE difference, but Bubba Thumper has three times more TPE than Big Edd. And Bubba Thumper didn't even have a tackle for loss, whereas Big Edd had 5 of them recorded! I think I have said enough about Big Edd and in fact I don't think anything needed to be said as his performance speaks for itself. Big Edd should indubitably be awarded defensive lineman of the year, if not defensive player of the year.

8)
The Orange County Otters had the luxury of riding of being able to relay on a top tier quarterback, Franklin Armstrong, for the last several seasons. Even at the beginning of his career, Armstrong was taking the team to the playoffs. However, it was not until Armstrong's 3rd season that he took us all the way to win the Ultimus. I am talking about Franklin Armstrong this much as he has been the key to our success since season 17. However, Armstrong is well into regression the next season and I believe this will be his first sub-1000 TPE season in a long time. He will still be competitive and may even take us all the way, but we can no longer ignore the inevitable. We need to start training a new quarterback while we still have Armstrong for at least another season. And there is also no telling whether or not Armstrong retires after the Ultimus this year. I hope not, but either way it will be profitable to draft a top-tier QB next season. If we do that, we will have Armstrong for season 24. That leaves season 25 in question. If Armstrong stays, we can rely on him, if not then we have a decent cap space for season 25 at $69 Million. We may be able to pick up a quarterback off of FA and have him play for us in season 25 and even 26 depending on how things pan out. Then in season 27, or worst case season 26 we can bring on our new quarterback.

During the transition between hall of famer Showbiz and future hall of famer, Franklin Armstrong, was a Ultimus dry-spell of three seasons. That is kind of funny to think about that 3 seasons between Ultimus wins is a dry-spell, but that is how much of a dynasty that the Otters have. The goal for the next 3 seasons beyond season 24, seasons 25-27, will be to bring up a new quarterback and mitigate the loss of Franklin Armstrong as much as possible by picking someone up while our new quarterback progresses.

In addition to losing Armstrong, we will be either losing great player or they will be entering regression. Such examples are the senior citizen players, such as Thorian Skarsgard, who announced retirement last season and we will finally be losing him next season. As well and Lanzer Grievious and Hugh Mongo. I am not entirely positive in how many season that we will be have Mongo and Grievous, but that leaves opening in Wide Receiver, linebacker (if we want to keep 3), and defensive end. We had a hole last season in DE, but Grievous was able to step in and fill that role even though his main experience is playing linebacker.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Asked Madden - 07-22-2020

#12)

Fresh, I am as fresh as can be. I have never taken part in a sim league before and don't frequent many if any forums of this nature. To say I'm overwhelmed would be understatement of the century. Picking a player name gave me an almost sleepless night, immediately regretted it once the submit button had been pressed. (Yes I have been on a bit of a justified binge). Picking a position and specialty was just as bad however I'm still happy with the pick of power rushing DE.

The above paragraph makes it seem like I'm not enjoying my time here, you would be mistaken. There has been a power of help bandied around (shout-out to Jacob Pacheco for the video on creating your update page). I can't wait to dive head first into the discord and (hopefully) get drafted to a fun inclusive team. So far the Dallas Birddogs have been the most welcoming team, with an enjoyable set of questions (who new asking a grown man to pick his favourite dinosaur could bring up so many emotions).

This has all been made easier by the fact I joined up with three other people at the same time and we are all helping each other as we learn various aspects of the league. I jumped the gun and added all the TPE from this point task before the claim thread has even been put up - it's tricky but having a lot of fun. As you'll see later in this thread we've actually wrote scouting reports on one another which felt a lot more enjoyable than just bigging up your own player.

I'm going to echo the sentiment of a few of my fellow S25 draft prospects - although there is plenty of help around it would be even more helpful if there was a catchall thread on how everything works, how to make money, all the ways to earn TPE and all of the general forum rules. For someone as clueless as me - it would also be helpful to include a step by step guide on how to actually link your TPE gains to your update page (I think I've got it now). - for those of you using mobile like me, make sure you are viewing in desktop view to get a much better user friendly experience.

Finally for all of the DSFL teams out there - Raylan Crowder is your man if you have a need at DE he will put in time effort and will let you mold him to your needs. If you want me to answer any questions, fire them at me. I'm in the GMT timezone so everything may get answered at strange times of day

Thank you everyone for being so welcoming I look forward to getting the chance to win the big one at some point (or at least hopefully make it out of the minor league)

(S23) - Ultimus Week - jzajenius36 - 07-22-2020

Tier 2: Prompt 12

I’ve now been a member of this league for a full day and to sum up my experience in a word: Wow.

Through the years I’ve been involved in numerous sports leagues with a twist, but this one may just take the cake for most in-depth and active. Immediately upon joining the league I, as many newbies do, wanted to start creating my player right away. This need for instant gratification was temporarily stymied as I found that my account needed to be approved first. Having thought I may have messed up my credentials, I joined the discord and reached out to @nunccoepi, who was listed as part of the head office. I then started to move on with my day, assuming my message would be gotten to later in the afternoon; however, mere minutes after my DM, I received a reply welcoming me to the league. Nunccoepi also let me know that yes my profile needed to be approved, and that he would expedite the request to a colleague as he was on the road at the time. Safe to say I was impressed right away. And I have a feeling my small experience and interaction weren’t unique.

From there I was off. Initially I just planned to create a player and maybe dip my toe in the water, but there I was creating my update page, doing the rookie survey, making a graphic for my player and a wiki page, and now writing up my experience thus far. It’s been fun and relatively easy so far, so I can see myself continuing to engage like this, especially with the payout of an actual simulated game to watch.

I mentioned earlier that I’ve been a part of somewhat similar leagues before. Well shout out to r/dkcleague, which takes all 30 NBA franchises, divides them up between users, and then has us mirror the salary cap, with our own free agency, trades, and everything else that goes into an nba season. While I’ve been a part of that league for many years and love it, it’s missing something. I’ve lobbied for us to create our teams on nba2k and sim a season, but I think the whole idea of it is a bit overwhelming for a group of ~30. You all have clearly identified that and cleared the hurdles, which clearly separates you from these other fantasy leagues.

I’m very excited to experience the league, interact with the seemingly inviting community, and take not of how the games actually ‘play out.’ At worst, I will certainly be taking some of this back with me to my basketball league, and at best I think you’ll have another longtime member to this unique league experience. Fingers crossed for the latter!

(S23) - Ultimus Week - hotdog - 07-22-2020

Code:
21) Make a comparison between your own team and a playoff team, if your team failed to make the postseason, showing why your squad was better.

The Arizona Outlaws had a really interesting season - most people thought we'd miss the playoffs, we started out slow, then really turned it on in the middle and looked perfectly poised for a playoff seed, then we had a rough end to the season and wound up in 4th where we were projected all along! A glance reveals we may have been a bit unlucky in that rough end, however, and we're probably a better team than several playoff teams. New Orleans, for example, had a point differential of NEGATIVE 21 and we had a point differential of 122!!! Obviously there's a lot more going on in a team than its point differential, but it's tough to look at a disparity that drastic and think that the -21 team is better than the +122 one... In fact, Arizona's point differential was the best of any team in the entire league - so the case could be made that the Outlaws are actually better than not only one of the playoff teams but every single playoff team. It would probably be dumb, but I would have like it this season if the tiebreaker were Point Differential rather than head to head matchups - bad idea though lol don't do that.

Code:
13) Create an argument for your own player, or for someone else on your team, as to why they should be nominated for awards. Lay out their stats or compare them to other contenders. Make a convincing case.

The legend Saba Donut should be taking home the Wide Receiver of the Year award this season due to stellar performance throughout the regular season. Wide Receiver is one of those awards where playoffs/team success shouldn't be factored in whatsoever (MVP, different story) so AZ missing the playoffs shouldn't be a big deal here. Statistically, Donut had the best season of any wide receiver in the league. Saba led the league in receiving yards with 1420, 120 more than the second place receiver. He was also second in catches, only 4 behind the first place finisher. Donut also led the league in receiving touchdowns with 12. Leads the league in receiving yards, second in receptions, first in touchdowns, and first in yards per catch - tough to imagine a much stronger case than that! The other clear contender is Net Gaines, but Donut had the advantage in almost every category, so Gaines is a clear second place finish to me. Alongside Donut is the QB throwing him the ball, Jay Cue, who also has a very strong case to be made for quarterback of the year, though I don't think his case is quite as much of a runaway as Donut's. Cue was able to spread the ball around to multiple targets and still hit Donut enough to make him the top receiver in the league, so maybe he'll take home the hardware as well.

Code:
Imagine that the league’s Pro Bowl included a skills competition similar to the NFL. What sorts of games could you see being implemented? Which players do you think would perform the best in ultimate frisbee, dodgeball, or other games? Which conference would come out on top?

This one shouldn't be shown to the children since it's not the sort of behavior we want to glorify to the youth, but a beerlympics would be absolutely amazing to see. In real life I think it'd be fascinating to see just how much/how quickly these pro athletes can drink, especially behemoths like offensive linemen. Beer pong, boat race, slap cup, flip cup, chug a big ol pitcher, etc. - show me all of it. I think each team here could contribute a team of 5 to compete - sometimes together and the rest of the time split up among the various events. Arizona's squad should probably be Galf Wilf, Pete "Plop" Miller, Shane Masters, Claude Miller II, and Stanislaw Koniecpolski - that'd be a drinking squad that could compete with the best. Again, this shouldn't be shown on television because we probably don't want to promote or glorify binge drinking to minors, but I personally would love to see it. Others around the league who could excel in this might be Cooter Bigsby, Lord Beerus (already got Beer in the name wow), and Earl Sauce. Overall, I would bet money on Arizona or Colorado to take home the championship belt in this competition, but I bet the talent would be pretty evenly distributed across the league.

Code:
SHL Affiliate Claim

SHL Affiliate

2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5 + 2.5!

(S23) - Ultimus Week - nunccoepi - 07-22-2020

(07-22-2020, 08:46 AM)jzajenius36 Wrote:Tier 2: Prompt 12

I’ve now been a member of this league for a full day and to sum up my experience in a word: Wow.

Through the years I’ve been involved in numerous sports leagues with a twist, but this one may just take the cake for most in-depth and active.  Immediately upon joining the league I, as many newbies do, wanted to start creating my player right away.  This need for instant gratification was temporarily stymied as I found that my account needed to be approved first.  Having thought I may have messed up my credentials, I joined the discord and reached out to @nunccoepi, who was listed as part of the head office.  I then started to move on with my day, assuming my message would be gotten to later in the afternoon; however, mere minutes after my DM, I received a reply welcoming me to the league.  Nunccoepi also let me know that yes my profile needed to be approved, and that he would expedite the request to a colleague as he was on the road at the time.  Safe to say I was impressed right away.  And I have a feeling my small experience and interaction weren’t unique.

From there I was off.  Initially I just planned to create a player and maybe dip my toe in the water, but there I was creating my update page, doing the rookie survey, making a graphic for my player and a wiki page, and now writing up my experience thus far.  It’s been fun and relatively easy so far, so I can see myself continuing to engage like this, especially with the payout of an actual simulated game to watch.

I mentioned earlier that I’ve been a part of somewhat similar leagues before.  Well shout out to r/dkcleague, which takes all 30 NBA franchises, divides them up between users, and then has us mirror the salary cap, with our own free agency, trades, and everything else that goes into an nba season.  While I’ve been a part of that league for many years and love it, it’s missing something.  I’ve lobbied for us to create our teams on nba2k and sim a season, but I think the whole idea of it is a bit overwhelming for a group of ~30.  You all have clearly identified that and cleared the hurdles, which clearly separates you from these other fantasy leagues.

I’m very excited to experience the league, interact with the seemingly inviting community, and take not of how the games actually ‘play out.’  At worst, I will certainly be taking some of this back with me to my basketball league, and at best I think you’ll have another longtime member to this unique league experience.  Fingers crossed for the latter!

<3

(S23) - Ultimus Week - Crunk - 07-22-2020

Tier 2 #12

This is kind of a tough one for me, as I have only been part of the league for about three days, but as a S25 draftee who was fortunate enough to see the league advertised on Reddit (and, for a change, to actually join rather than thinking "Oh, that looks cool" and not bothering) I'm really liking this so far.

I don't know much about sim leagues, so I can't give specifics on this league but the community are (and have been) super cool. The scouts, mentors and others that have been causing my Discord to melt down since I joined have been fantastic. Special thanks to Maglubiyet who just happened to be the one DMing me as I was figuring out what I didn't know, but I have no doubt that others would have done the same.

Player creation was a breeze, with simple instructions to follow and a good range of archetypes within positions. Deciding what kind of player I wanted to make was easily the toughest part of the process, which speaks volumes about the clarity and depth of the Rookie Guide.

Rookie tasks have been a great way into earning TPE and being introduced to the system. The opportunity to improve your player immediately by putting the work in gets you engaged from the moment you are approved, and I'm not sure I would have had the nerve to write any media without that extra incentive.

I'm really enjoying the variety of expression available to players. Writing media will probably be my thing, but running a football player's Twitter talking smack is a task I look forward to every day. I never thought I would have to download GIMP again, but here I am, dusting off old "skills". All these things make me more engaged, and they make a sim league feel more real, and contributing towards the creation of a world for the character I just made is just really cool. A big thanks to those who put in the time and effort to run it.

It's tough to say what could be done better, but I did find it hard to properly access the Index as a hub of information to begin with - I just didn't know that was where I had to look. Maybe it could be made clearer that that's the one-stop shop for all stats and results, though it's probably obvious to veterans of sim leagues. The TPE system of forum linking is probably as simple as you can make it, thought it feels pretty clunky for a new player. I imagine much thought has been put into how it can be simplified while allowing the breadth of TPE opportunities - I'm not going to pretend to know more than veterans.

Finally, just to reiterate a thank you to everyone involved, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun here.

Tier 3 #19

(My player, I hope this is allowed)

DSFL Draft Prospect

Tayshawn Crunk - S - Ole Miss

A highly touted high school recruit out of Natchez High School, MS, Tayshawn Crunk chose Clemson over Alabama on Signing Day in a late switch that upset Crimson Tide fans. He never suited up for the Tigers, however, as he was dismissed from the team under unclear circumstances involving the police, though he is keen to remind everyone that all charges were dropped.

A stop in JuCo followed, where Crunk played on the #1 ranked JuCo defense and contributed to a national title - a feat which was later watched by millions on the popular show Final Warning College.

This led him back to the SEC at his home-state Ole Miss, where he finally got to show off his skills on a national stage. Starting all 12 games, Crunk pulled in 10 interceptions (for 198 return yards), made 55 tackles and returned two punts and a kickoff for touchdowns.

A tall, rangy playmaking safety with solid hands and speed to burn, Crunk projects to be a high-upside prospect with real ISFL potential in the future. Since he declared three days ago he has already earned 17 TPE (29 if this is approved) with only a Wiki to make to maximise his TPE earnings.

All reports indicate that Crunk is a good teammate who works hard at his craft - any character concerns from his Clemson days appear to be behind him - but his exposure to the media in Junior College has given him a taste for the headlines. Great for media earnings, but not so great when - as he often does - he thinks before he speaks.

Tier 3 #22

Pro Bowl Activity Ideas

1) Lineman Tug-o-War

The big boys in the trenches spend all their time pushing against each other - why not have them pulling something for a bit? Eight on a team, one rope, one team ends up in the dirt - who wouldn't enjoy that?

Probable ISFL Winners: With 8 lineman above 90 strength, it's hard to look past the big boys of the Colorado Yeti.

Probable DSFL Winners: Dallas Birddogs. Presumably bots will find the transition from pushing to pulling toughest, so with 6 "real" players on their combined lines, the Birddogs stand a good chance.

2) Chessboxing

3 minutes of chess, 3 minutes of boxing and repeat until the sixth chess round. Winner by knockout, checkmate or chess timeout. The perfect blend of strength, agility and intelligence and an opportunity for the ISFL's finest to settle some scores off the field. You'd watch that. Of course you would.

Probable ISFL Winner: Yellowknife Wraiths LB Maurice Virtanen has a unique blend of attributes that should see him succeed in this tournament, but Austin Copperheads QB Easton Cole would undoubtedly run him close. Cole might even prevail if he sneaks a quick checkmate.

Probable DSFL Winner: Cornerbacks look the most likely to win this one. Kansas City Coyotes CB Join Bois looks like a good bet here, with the stats to keep up in the ring and to prevail on the board, but he could easily fall victim to the superior speed of Minnesota Grey Ducks CB Ray-Ray Jackson.

(S23) - Ultimus Week - DirtyBirdD - 07-22-2020

Tier 2 - 12

Honestly, not too sure where to begin. I am brand new to simulation leagues and honestly did not know they existed until I came across a post on the NFL subreddit. As a huge fan of role-playing games and football, this seemed like it would be right up my alley.

My experience so far has been eye-opening. The depth that this league has is very impressive and I know that I have only seen the surface so far. As such, there have been times of feeling a bit lost but there seems to be a comprehensive guide for everything here. On day two I am now beginning to feel a bit of comfort finding my way around the forums, and the linking in the update page (maybe I'm doing it wrong and no one has told me but it feels right).

So far my favourite experiences have been creating 10 different players and attempting to pick which one would be my player. I was also sent a questionnaire from a potential team that asked me, to kill, sex, or marry any of Antonio Brown, Ray Rice, and Tyreek Hill. This question was not only hilarious but also really made me stop and ponder my responses, and I feel I learned more about DirtyBirdD because of it. I also enjoyed reading through many of the wiki entries and again finding the amount of depth and history very impressive.

One issue I have had as someone who will look to do some of his play on a mobile device is there is no link button to assist with adding hyperlinks to a post, and there is no way I have found to get a URL for a specific post. If I am wrong, maybe a guide for mobile users could be useful as well.

Going forward I am most looking forward to seeing how it all comes together really. I have my player, I have my stats, and I am excited to see how those stats are represented in the games. How does a team composition look in the simulations? Will my spectacular pass rush and run-stuffing make up for a possibly weak secondary? What does the draft, contracts, season, playoffs, and off-season look like for the young and talented Hank Sakner? I guess I will just have to wait and see, but I am doing so anxiously.

2 days down, one player created, and 1 person who is extremely excited to get drafted by a 1 very lucky team.

(418 words)

(S23) - Ultimus Week - charlit - 07-22-2020

12) This task is exclusive to non-recreate rookies of the S23 class and later. In 400 words or more, how has your experience been in the league? Who have you met that has made your time here more fun, friendly, and exciting? Have you been satisfied with your player’s early start? What was it like being drafted for the first time? Do you have any comments or suggestions for the entire league that you think should be implemented?

I’ve had a great experience in the league so far! When I joined from r/nfl, I had no idea what to expect. Once I registered an account on the website, I was more confused than anything. Nothing really drew me in, and I thought it was likely that I wouldn’t stick around. This changed once I joined the discord and was greeted by a vibrant community. It was nice to see people were happy to help me with any questions I had.

Once I explored the website a bit more I started getting excited about creating a backstory for my player. I quickly wrote my first media article about my player, describing how he almost quit football. It was cool to explore my player’s history and share it with others.

Later, I stumbled upon the ISFL wiki. I’m the type of person who likes reading Wikipedia articles for fun, so I thought it was awesome that this existed. After looking at some of the wikis other people created, I got to work on creating my own. As someone who is a big fan of creative writing and football, I had a great time making my page. It was a lot of fun coming up with who my player was both on and off the field.

In the few days I’ve been in the league, it’s been exciting meeting new people. The few DSFL scouts who have contacted me have been incredibly helpful. In particular, Maglubiyet from the Royals has been awesome, and I’ve gotten to know a few people in the Royals’ discord over the last couple of days. Overall, everyone I’ve talked to has been super welcoming. This community truly is great!

I am satisfied with where my player is right now. I’ve been learning about the TPE system and feel like I can continue earning TPE as the next season arrives. I can’t wait for my first season to begin so I can watch my player develop. There’s just so many things I’m looking forward to, like the prospect bowl, getting drafted, and meeting everyone who will be on my new team.

It’s also been super cool to learn more about the league itself. I listened to two ISFL 20 for 20 podcasts and enjoyed them a lot. Bex and Slm do a great job with it and it’s fascinating to learn what occurs behind the scenes. There’s a lot more to this league than appears at first glance, and I’m excited to get started!

15) Choose your favorite non-playoffs game of this season, whether your own team or another. Explain what was so special and why the winner ultimately came out victorious, including key players and moments.

The week 11 matchup between the Portland Pythons and Norfolk Seawolves was a must-win game for both teams. The Pythons had a disastrous start of the season, opening the season 0-4, but had won 4 of the last 6 games. On the flip side, the Seawolves had slumped to a 6-4 record after starting 5-0. Both teams desperately needed a win if they wanted to make the playoffs. The players were going to leave everything on the field.

The Seawolves took an early lead, aided by a 19yd Rogers’ touchdown run with 3 minutes left in the first. After kicking off, the Seawolves forced a quick 3-out, sacking QB Howitzer on back to back plays. Once they got the ball back, Guava-Fresca made a 42yd field goal making it 10-0.

The Pythons were able to storm back, tying the game up at 10-10 by the end of the half. Early in the 3rd, the Seawolves took control of the game when RB Skrills ran for a TD. They would lead the rest of the way, winning 34-23. This win would prove crucial, as the Seawolves would go undefeated and win their first Ultimini in team history.

Seawolves’ RB Captain Rodgers deserves a lot of credit for the win. He ran for 108 yards and 2 TD against the Pythons. If not for his stellar performance, the Seawolves would have likely lost. Without a first-round bye, would they still win the Ultimini? Or continue to be the losers of the DSFL? All we know for certain is that the Seawolves’ win over the Pythons ended their losing streak and saved their season. While this game may be overshadowed by the playoffs, it was one of the most important in Seawolves history.

25) Select any player who was drafted in the back half of a DSFL or ISFL draft. Show how that player has outperformed their draft position, or how they will soon do so. You cannot write about your own player.

Hall of Famer Dan Miller made 6 straight pro bowls, had 24 sacks in a season, and holds the ISFL record for sacks with 132. With such a historic career, it is easy to forget that he was passed on 87 times in the 2016 ISFL draft. That’s right, one of the greatest defensive players ever wasn’t drafted until the 88th pick.

Hindsight is 20/20, however, Miller showed potential for greatness before even being drafted. At the combine, Miller showed an excellent combination of size and strength. He had a bench press result of 47, the best of anyone that year. Perhaps even more impressive is his 40-yard dash time of 4.58 seconds. Keep in mind, Miller weighed 360lbs at the time. How crazy is that?

Despite Miller’s excellent career, his teams struggled to find success. This is evident by him only making the playoffs two times. Yet, this lack of team success has little to do with him. In the 2019 and 2020 season, Miller helped lead two of the best defenses in the league. In both years, Miller’s team failed to reach the playoffs. This goes to show no matter how good one player is, football is a team-driven sport. Dan Miller epitomizes this concept, being an amazing player on less than amazing teams.