International Simulation Football League
PTs / TPE gains - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: PTs / TPE gains (/showthread.php?tid=1129)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

PTs / TPE gains - ErMurazor - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 09:18 AM)Molarpistols Wrote:This is my first sim league, so I don't really have any comparisons as to how it could work, but I think participation TPE would be a good idea for PTs. 

I put a solid hour or so into researching prospects and stuff for the mock draft one, and earned 1 TPE on a lucky guess on a 2nd rounder. It doesn't have to be a ton, but it was a little disheartening to bust my ass for 1 TPE and watch all the GMs get 4 because they had already talked and had more ideas what was actually going to happen on draft night.  I get that GMs should have some perks because they are putting in a lot of hard work too, but it's just how I felt at the time.

For some of the easier point tasks, participation TPE might not be required.  The Week One Predictions for example, can be done in 20 seconds.  It would be kind of silly to reward much participation TPE for something that easy.

I don't know how realistic it is, but a lot of the recent Point Tasks have been related to lucky guesses (Mock Draft, Preseason Leaders, etc).  Is it possible to do more Point Tasks like the draft profile?  200 word minimum is fairly easy to achieve and the 3 TPE payout was quite nice.

As for the trainings, I think they may be in a pretty good spot, with some tweaks that could be done to be better.  I can dig not wanting too much of a power creep in the game, where we get too good too fast.  I can also see the training being a little on the spendy side as it is right now.  A lot of our player contracts seem to be in the 1-3 million range, which will buy 1-3 weekly trainings, leaving 2 weeks per season you have to earn yourself. 

Personally, I find it easy to write a novel about little things (exhibit A: this response), making it easy for me to earn that and more through media articles.  However, I can understand not everybody finds that as easy as me, and not everybody has as much time as me (recent grad on a job search at the moment).  Making it either pay more for media or cost less for training would make it seem less of a hassle for people I think. Increased rewards = increased submissions (usually, though it might create a need for more graders again).

Obviously, I am new around here as well but I think a lot of this resonated with me as well. I think the first thing is to decide what the goal of this league is, if you're looking to attract and retain new people things definitely will need to change in terms of how TPE is distributed.

It's pretty disheartening to do the TPE activities and earn nothing and see people who have been around rake in a bunch of points just because they're familiar with everyone. When so many TPE activities are based on things out of control of the new players, it kind of sucks. Even if you want to put in some more time and get better, you're still going to get blown out of the water by people that are putting in less time because they've been a part of the sim community.

A lot of people have brought up the issues with how much training costs and how little money you get paid, and I definitely think there is some truth there, especially for newer people. Personally, this doesn't impact me. I've thrown out a lot of media because I enjoy it and can do it at work. The same goes for taking a league job. But if I didn't enjoy it, I'd think you were high if you asked me to write that much for that little TPE or take a league job for that small of a salary (considering how little TPE it'll buy).

I'm going to stick around regardless, because this seems like my jam. But I think pretty much everyone agrees that it'd be better if we had a larger, active community. And I think one way to achieve that is to make the TPE people gain more distributed based upon the effort they're putting into tasks rather than how familiar they are with the sim community or how lucky they are.

Another random thought I did had when seeing how TPE was earned, was that if you don't have a league job you've got to do some writing or graphics. There aren't really other options. If you're somebody who isn't skilled in either of those, you're going to have to make garbage or you're S.O.L. What if we made another category that was focused on generating interesting statistics/charts. In my mind I pictured something like the content profootballfocus is constantly cranking out. Personally, I would be interested in looking at all kinds of statistics about the league, and that would make the community more friendly and accessible to people that are less writing/graphic oriented, but have skills in other areas like math and data. I don't know exactly how you would score it, but I think it would be something that could make the league more appealing to a wider audience and produce more interesting content for those of us that are already here.

PTs / TPE gains - Perkules - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 11:18 AM)ErMurazor Wrote:Obviously, I am new around here as well but I think a lot of this resonated with me as well. I think the first thing is to decide what the goal of this league is, if you're looking to attract and retain new people things definitely will need to change in terms of how TPE is distributed.

It's pretty disheartening to do the TPE activities and earn nothing and see people who have been around rake in a bunch of points just because they're familiar with everyone. When so many TPE activities are based on things out of control of the new players, it kind of sucks. Even if you want to put in some more time and get better, you're still going to get blown out of the water by people that are putting in less time because they've been a part of the sim community.

A lot of people have brought up the issues with how much training costs and how little money you get paid, and I definitely think there is some truth there, especially for newer people. Personally, this doesn't impact me. I've thrown out a lot of media because I enjoy it and can do it at work. The same goes for taking a league job. But if I didn't enjoy it, I'd think you were high if you asked me to write that much for that little TPE or take a league job for that small of a salary (considering how little TPE it'll buy).

I'm going to stick around regardless, because this seems like my jam. But I think pretty much everyone agrees that it'd be better if we had a larger, active community. And I think one way to achieve that is to make the TPE people gain more distributed based upon the effort they're putting into tasks rather than how familiar they are with the sim community or how lucky they are.

Another random thought I did had when seeing how TPE was earned, was that if you don't have a league job you've got to do some writing or graphics. There aren't really other options. If you're somebody who isn't skilled in either of those, you're going to have to make garbage or you're S.O.L. What if we made another category that was focused on generating interesting statistics/charts. In my mind I pictured something like the content profootballfocus is constantly cranking out. Personally, I would be interested in looking at all kinds of statistics about the league, and that would make the community more friendly and accessible to people that are less writing/graphic oriented, but have skills in other areas like math and data. I don't know exactly how you would score it, but I think it would be something that could make the league more appealing to a wider audience and produce more interesting content for those of us that are already here.

On your last point you can also do podcasts which is as easy as downloading a voice recording app.

@`incitehysteria` would have to confirm but I bet they'd pay extra for stat analysis type articles due to the time investment

PTs / TPE gains - RavensFanFromOntario - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 01:24 PM)Bengals1Fan Wrote:The point of the format is not to cultivate quick activity, but long-term activity. Those 12 members on the VHL probably have more sim experience and activity individually then all 65 SHL users combined.

Sorry, but this is simply laughable. Honestly.

Especially for a football league, you need people to fill holes. These guys have done a great job, and this really is arguing semantics. To make this level of overhaul would be absurd.

PTs / TPE gains - ErMurazor - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 11:23 AM)Perkules Wrote:On your last point you can also do podcasts which is as easy as downloading a voice recording app.

@`incitehysteria` would have to confirm but I bet they'd pay extra for stat analysis type articles due to the time investment

Ah, I did forget about the podcasts, but I feel like that's another thing that were in the category I described are also not going to be open to.

I am kind of bringing this up, because I've tried to recruit a few people to this league and that was a major turn off for a couple of my buddies that aren't great writers/speakers, but sit in a cubicle crunching numbers all day.

PTs / TPE gains - Perkules - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 11:25 AM)ErMurazor Wrote:Ah, I did forget about the podcasts, but I feel like that's another thing that were in the category I described are also not going to be open to.

I am kind of bringing this up, because I've tried to recruit a few people to this league and that was a major turn off for a couple of my buddies that aren't great writers/speakers, but sit in a cubicle crunching numbers all day.

I totally feel you on trying to recruit buddies. Most of them just look at me crazy.

But a sub genre to earn money for statistical analysis would be cool af

PTs / TPE gains - Bengals1Fan - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 02:25 PM)RavensFanFromOntario Wrote:Sorry, but this is simply laughable. Honestly.

Especially for a football league, you need people to fill holes. These guys have done a great job, and this really is arguing semantics. To make this level of overhaul would be absurd.
I think my point is that we want the league running for 20 seasons, not just running with 200 members for one right? The goal obviously would be a 200 person 20 league season, but the feasibility of that from what we've seen has not worked. That's my point.

From the WFL I learned that you need a strong core and a system that works strongly to keep users engaged. I think this system needs to be changed to support a league of this size.

PTs / TPE gains - Blaster - 06-09-2017

This is also my first sim league, and there are only a couple things I could say since again, it is my first sim league so there are no comparisons.

- Training Cost

It has come up already and I agree, it is a lot, 1M would = 2 weeks of training for my contract of 1 entire season. 500K I think would be a much better amount which would equate to about 4 weekly training = 12 TPE. Not a lot considering your main attributes should cost 5 each which means you get 2 points on your main attribute + 2 TPE Banked.

- More TPE Opportunities

Doesn't have to be anything crazy but I feel like it just takes way too long to build up my player that wasn't in the draft since I did sign up after, I never got the chance to do some of the tasks that the other players did. Which is completely fine because I don't expect to be equal with them especially since I'm considered an S2 Rookie. But I still feel we should be able to get more TPE, doesn't have to be an insane amount, just enough to get attributes up.

- Media Payout

I haven't done Media yet since the payout I feel isn't worth my time considering what everything is costing right now, I'd have to do multiple tasks to even afford 3 TPE (1M Weekly Training) Not sure how much it should be increased by but it should somewhat be reasonable.

So in the end, I think maybe if we had more TPE opportunities, and a balance of the cost that would make this league a little more enjoyable. There should be a balance if the costs go down the payout and the amount of money we get from contracts shouldn't be crazy. But if the costs stay the same, we need more money to pay for these costs.

PTs / TPE gains - dave - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 03:18 PM)ErMurazor Wrote:Another random thought I did had when seeing how TPE was earned, was that if you don't have a league job you've got to do some writing or graphics. There aren't really other options. If you're somebody who isn't skilled in either of those, you're going to have to make garbage or you're S.O.L. What if we made another category that was focused on generating interesting statistics/charts. In my mind I pictured something like the content profootballfocus is constantly cranking out. Personally, I would be interested in looking at all kinds of statistics about the league, and that would make the community more friendly and accessible to people that are less writing/graphic oriented, but have skills in other areas like math and data. I don't know exactly how you would score it, but I think it would be something that could make the league more appealing to a wider audience and produce more interesting content for those of us that are already here.

Being able to do stats and stuff would be so dope! I've already started collecting individual stats for my player, if I could do that for cash/tpe I'd be set. It would also add variety so that we don't have 15 of the same pregame article being posted every week.

PTs / TPE gains - SimmerDownBruhh - 06-09-2017

(06-09-2017, 02:39 PM)Durden Wrote:Full disclosure: I read the first couple responses and saw "what would you propose" and I'm writing this without reading the REST of the discussion.

I think you need to decide WHAT you want your users to do on the site.

If you want them to write media, make media pay more. (When I did 500 words and realized I got only 250k, I was pissed). I'm willing to do media if it's WORTH it. But for 500 words, for 250k, when training for a WEEK is 1 mil, no thanks.

Do you want people to be able to consistently buy training? Increase media payout, or increase the salary cap and minimums.

Do you want people to have to push hard for everything they earn? Plan for people to leave.

Do you want people to do PTs/mocks/etc. ? Then reward points just for doing them.

Personally, I'd:
  • [/li]
  • Increase media payout. I'd double the payouts at LEAST.
  • Give TPE for participation in PTs. It doesn't have to be anything crazy. 3 TPE for participating, +2 for each correct response... because it'd be a lot, CAP IT at like... 10 TPE total.
  • Change training. 500k for 3 TPE, 1mil for 5 TPE. Can only claim 1 a season.

I think you'd retain a lot more people. Let's be honest. We're all here to have fun, and most sim league users are lazy. We all want success, but it can't just be handed to us. We need to put in work and do things, but the way it is now, you have to do SO much to make a decent player.

Also, 1300 TPE to max out, earning 130 every 10 weeks?  That's 10 seasons x 10 weeks (per season) that's TWO YEARS TO MAX OUT. Is that the goal?

Here's the crux of the problem:

Biggest way to gain TPE is to train.
Training costs 1 mil for 3 TPE.
1 mil 1300 words.

Who in their right mind is going to write 1300 words every week?

I'm an English Teacher in real life... and I love reading and writing. I'm not going to write 1300 words a week. And I'm sure as hell not going to read 1300 words PER ARTICLE a week.

Thanks for listening to a scrub. I appreciate it Big Grin

As a guy that just got into the sim leagues, this makes the most sense to me.

PTs / TPE gains - Saliva^ - 06-09-2017

¯\_(?)_/¯ gimme also a participation TPE for S1 mock draft, these 0 sucked a dick tbh.