International Simulation Football League
(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep (/showthread.php?tid=2163)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - Kristy95 - 07-16-2017

Draft rooms have changed a lot over the years. Information used to be stored on so many sheets of paper, keeping it organized was a mess. Today, you still find war rooms with lots of paper, but more importantly, a lot of information is now stored on laptops. Information is so much easier to store and find when you are in the time sensitive pressure of the draft. Preparation is key of course. You have to spend months scouting every player and find your own needs, so that you can end up with the best choices in the draft. When the draft is actually going on, there is a lot of pressure and craziness. Things never go as planned and you have to adapt within seconds sometimes. And then there are the trades. Only a few trades happen every year, but behind the scenes, there are a lot more trades that are at least being discussed. GMs will be on the phone a lot, sometimes with several different teams at once. It is shocking that anything can really get done, but somehow it works out! But you have to bring your A game, so that in the end you have a successful draft.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - Kronen - 07-16-2017

Draft preparation is a tense time for general managers. Expectations are high. The future of the team will be decided in this draft. Unlike in the NFl, perhaps NSFL general managers could ease their minds knowing that they're employing sound draft strategy according to behavioral economics.

If behavioral economics sounds out of place, trust me it isn't. Cade Massey, a professor at Pennsylvania's Wharton School, and University of Chicago's Richard Thaler analyzed nearly 15 years of historical draft data. By comparing players' draft positions with their eventual career production, Massey and Thaler found something interesting: top picks are overvalued. Because early round picks are so expensive, they drastically underperform second or third round picks when you factor in salary. Put simply, teams looking to get the best return on investment are better off with multiple picks in the late first and early second rounds.

In terms of financial efficiency, it's clearly a smarter move to trade down in the first round. But there's another advantage to this strategy: diversification. On the whole, it's better to turn one pick into two or three, especially if they're in the same round. The economists point out that when positions selected back-to-back are compared retroactively, there's only a 52% chance that the first player is better. Again, if you trade one high-value early round pick for two or three later round picks, the diversification insulates you against one of the players being a dud.

This concept of behavioral economics and its application to professional sports is fascinating and a must-read for any general manager. I strongly suggest checking out Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics by Richard Thaler.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - youngcricket - 07-16-2017

If I am a GM in the NSFL, I am looking at a lot of things. One thing I am looking at would be, is this player actually interested in my team? I would contact them and gauge interest because I don't want to waste a pick on a team who doesn't want to be with me. I'm also looking at the holes on my team and trying to rank where I think each position will go and when I should draft these guys. I think that a lot of people want BPA, but I need fits on my team position wise and personality wise. I also look at if they are good with other people. The last thing I need on my team is somebody who others don't want to play with. I have to make sure that these guys I'm landing are likable and actually want to help make my team better. If they are constantly improving, likable, and fit my scheme, I would start to rank them on my board, otherwise I would toss them aside. For the Outlaws, we are a great group of guys and we need guys like us to come in and help us keep working to get better. I would work my butt off until I was assured we were making the best moves to win.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - Dangles13 - 07-16-2017

Being the head decision maker for any franchise or company is a stressful job any day of the week but being a general manager on draft day is one of the toughest things to do. It takes many good picks over several seasons to earn a reputation as a draft guru but it takes only one flop to earn yourself a one way ticket to the unemployment line. That is why I employ numerous scouts whom I trust to gather my data so I can focus on a small group of players while also managing to work the phones. Sometimes a great trade is more rewarding than making a good pick, getting two good players instead of one great one can be the difference between winning it all or picking first overall next draft. I always consult with my staff regarding any matters because it's easier to shoulder the weight if we're a team although I know some managers are control freaks and are very hard on their staff on draft day. One of the hardest things is projecting what the other teams are going to do, you always have an idea of what they are thinking but a trade or some last second news can break and turn your draft board to shit. Always communicate and always keep things light hearted, that's how I run my war room.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - JR95 - 07-16-2017

Every season a crop of young rookies get to take the field with their new teams in the hopes of becoming legends. A lot of work goes into getting those Legends to that glorified status and it all starts with draft day. While the players put in a lot of work, there's a side that's often ignored: the GM. The week leading up to the draft is excruciatingly busy for GMs. There is always an influx of new players declaring for the draft and managers as well as scouts are constantly having top update their scouting sheets. Once the management team has a good sense for most players in the draft class, it's time to meet the prospects for an interview. Some people only speak to the prospects that fill team needs but it is always a good idea to talk to everyone just in case. You never know who will be available in the later rounds and you don't want to miss out on a good personality. After meeting with the players it's time for the management team to prepare mock drafts and to compare them among each other. GMs have a number of things to weigh when making these lists as well. Everyone wants to draft the next superstar but if he's known to be a problem in the LR or on the field, it may be wise to go elsewhere with your draft pick. I was always told you can't teach personality but you can always work on your game. Once the management team has compared their mock drafts, all that's left to do is to create a master draft sheet and they are ready for draft day.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - RainDelay - 07-16-2017

I may not be the General Manager of the San Jose Sabercats, but there are certainly times in which I feel like I am. I have been doing so much advanced scouting leading up to this draft. I have compiled a spreadsheet, listing all the prospects and their vitals in TPE order, so that our actual GMs, CKRoyal and BenLongshaw can make an accurate assessment of who would be the best choice to put in a Sabercats uniform for the upcoming season.

I have to say, it's all pretty crazy. Having done my research on upwards of eighty different prospects, I am a little tired. But now new guys just pop up, like almost every day, which means I have to go check their builds out, and evaluate their activity levels. I know it will all be worth it in the long run, but for now, it's quite the task. The few remaining days leading up to the draft will be quite exciting, and I'm sure I'll be drinking plenty of coffee to keep me going for the long haul.

Having the eighth pick means that seven players will be taken before, but that only applies if we stay put. I have also been talking about potential trades, which is even more tiring than scouting, since it involves dealing with other GMs and really assessing trade value.

Well, we shall see how this pans out, but I will know I got my money's worth as far as workload is concerned.

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - deadendpath27 - 07-16-2017

As GMs of the newly founded franchise Las Vegas Legion, you'd have to be asking yourself what your priorities are for matching up with powerhouses Arizona and Orange County. First you have to look at the pieces lost by these teams and how that could affect their overall performance.

Also, if I'm GM in Las Vegas, I most importantly want to secure a playoff berth immediately. The hype surrounding a Las Vegas expansion is useless if the team is not successful. This corroborates with my theory of why the NFL Raiders waited until they were a playoff team to get serious about relocation. A playoff team in Las Vegas will rake in the money and endorsement deals.

So if I'm GM, I naturally wanna be competing with the best team in the conference, Arizona. If I counter Arizona's offense (which I believe has downgraded in the off season) with a strong 4 man pass rush complemented by speedy DBs and LBs for run support, we may be able to keep the ball out of their hands on offense and force costly turnovers which could set up easy drives. The key to beating Arizona's offense is putting pressure on the quarterback, as they often have relied on long passes to stretch the field. I wanna grab the best pass rushing DEs I can in the draft. I want these DEs to be focusing solely on speed and strength early in their career. DE and OL are the two positions I would build my entire team around, and wouldn't focus entirely on filling every position, rather just the important positions for S2.

270 words

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - JBLAZE_THE_BOSS - 07-16-2017

The life of a football GM is an exciting one. I miss the rush of draft day in the front office and everything that goes into it. Without going too deep into philosophy, I have a couple of different things I'd look at. First is which positions I really need to improve in order to take my team to the next level. Will I find someone at that position in this draft? Which other teams have a need at this spot? What do I need to do in order to secure this player? You need to weigh the value of your assets and make appropriate changes. Nothing outweighs value. If there's a trade to be made that provides you the best value this season and following seasons, you need to make it. You need to propose these deals and be active in trying to make moves. Asset management is the bottom line when it comes to being in the front office. I've never won a championship in the front office, only on the field, but maybe someday I'll strap on the suit and try my hand at preparing a proper roster for a championship run someday in the NSFL, or anywhere in the world for that matter.

207 Words

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - theFlock - 07-16-2017

The draft is one of the most fun events for an NSFL GM. After scouting incoming prospects, tweaking your roster, fine tuning your scheme, and finding out which parts of your team could use an improvement, you are left with the most hectic day of the year. Any given pick could cause a complete shift in your draft board. You could trade back if you miss out on talent, or you could move up to snatch up a prospect from another team. The true experts already have the entire draft pool prioritized, and will know if and when they have to move.

From interviewing prospects to find out desired destination, to figuring out work ethic and ambition, you can find who would be a great player. A smart GM will know by attributes and archetype if they will fit into the team.

Some players will find themselves being skipped by "perfect fit" teams while other GM's will see a player as a "reach." If S1, and every draft ever conducted taught you anything, it doesn't matter what you're history is, or how your first season goes. The thing that matters is are you going to pick the player that sticks around long enough to be great?

Code:
208 words

(S2) - Weekend PT #1 - Draft Prep - BrokkLee - 07-16-2017

[Image: r2MaoSU.jpg]