International Simulation Football League
(S42) Offseason Task - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S42) Offseason Task (/showthread.php?tid=45622)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Tiktaalik - 06-04-2023

Task 36

PBE Affiliate

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - tstols - 06-04-2023

Task 1:

Congratulations to Tijuana and Cape Town for winning the Ultimus and Ultimini!

In the ISFL, it was clear that Cape Town were the top dogs, and the favorites to win it all. No surprise to see them fight their way to the top. The league's best offense powered by a top 5 defense is usually a good recipe for success. Creg Jerrith did well to captain the offense, despite actually going down in a few ratings this season. Harbinger Marjin led the team in the rushing category, and it's always typically good to pair a 3800+ Yard passer with a 1800+ rusher. It's a combo that works well. However, it was their secondary that really steals the show, the best passing defense in the league with two 100 overall safeties, and two 100 overall corner backs, it's very tough for an opposing offense to find momentum through the air. All of this together led to not only a strong team, but one that could fight for a championship. They stayed focused, and avoided being too costly to take the title!

The big surprise comes in the Ultimini, where Cape Town took the prize. Cape Town were the best in their division, sure, but it was a very uncompetitive division, as they were the only team over .500 in it, and they were only barely over .500! While offense wins games, defense wins championships, and their top 2 defense was able to lead their only above average offense into the promised land. Lloyd Bannings was more critical this season, and I can attribute his improvements to success for Tijuana. Gurley and Crane packed a RBBC punch that was too hot to handle. Gurley having an off day? Feed it to Crane. Crane under the weather? Let Gurley cook. The duo combined for over 1700 rushing yards, leading the way on the ground. Logjammed McBobface led the way as the strongest defender for Tijuana, putting up a 109 tackle season, with 9 of them being sacks! His effors to lead the Luchadores defense proved big in the long run.

Jake Jefferson and the Kansas City Coyotes were surely favorites for this season's Ultimini, with the only 10 win season in the DSFL. They also had a tough conference, 2nd and 3rd were both 8-6 on the season. However, they weren't able to get it done in the clutch in the postseason, and ultimately came up short. 

Overall, the parity has been pretty interesting to see when it comes to the DSFL and ISFL. Last season, I was with the Bondi Beach Buccaneers as we went on to win the title, and this season they fell short in the fight for the conference crown, and weren't far away from slipping out of the postseason either! Sure, it's cool to see teams that are dominant winning the league, but no one likes a super team. In 2021, Max Verstappen was the hero of F1 for dethroning Mercedes after their seven-year-reign. In 2023, he's the brand new Symbol of Evil as he storms ahead to what will likely be his third title ever, with the most wins in Formula 1 history. (I think he finishes with 18 wins this season, for REAL.)

With parity alive, I wonder what will happen next season on the gridiron. Can Cape Town keep CRUSHING the competition? Will challengers from Arizona or Honolulu get in the way? Can the Sailfish keep the hot Florida streak going like the Panthers and Heat in real life? Maybe an under-dog like Baltimore, Chicago or Austin could take the next step? Heck, even New Orleans may be able to improve and challenge? Okay, that last one isn't likely at least for next season, but in three to four seasons time, we could see the Secondline being first to the finish line!

We'll have to wait and see, but once again, congrats to Tijuana and Cape Town!

(over 600 words)

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Troen - 06-04-2023

Prompt 7 Wrote:Write 600 words or more on something about anything in the league that interests you. It could be related to statistics, a league issue that you take seriously, or a niche part of history that doesn’t fit neatly into either of the above categories. This must be directly related to the league, so don’t wax 600 words about your team’s participation on a Werewolf server or something.

I spent some time trying to think about a topic to cover and had a brief thought of how much does this even matter anyway? We in the league spend time writing up point tasks, wiki pages, media articles, and so on, but how much value are those actually? For the PTs and this offseason task in particular, I assume basically nobody reads them outside of maybe whoever is doing the grading. I noted something similar before when I read and selected some of the best submissions back in the day, and I know there have been a couple other users who have done similar media articles for other seasons.
But, going back to the question, what's the point? Why does the league encourage writing anyway? I can't say I've asked the people who were actually involved in setting things up, so I'm going to instead go over what I think the most likely motivations are.

1. Demonstrating commitment: Similarly to meeting the requirements for bonuses in a weekly quest in a game, having to invest a certain amount of time to produce something on a weekly cadence shows that the user is being involved. Without a framework of monetization, this is basically the simple "time is money" involvement. With TPE being rate limited the way it is, there isn't exactly a way to grind an unlimited amount (though there kinda is for league cash) and so the various PTs and such are basically weekly quests in the game format that is the league forums. The varying cadences of the different types of tasks also allow different levels of engagement - 15 minutes once a season can get a chunk of TPE from training camps and season predictions, 10 minutes/week can add on the weekly predictions and activity checks, 30 minutes/week adds in the PTs, and more time allows media, wiki updates, league jobs, etc. that expand earning capability a bit.

2. Creating community and culture: I see many of the required TPE tasks as gateways or onramps to getting users more involved with others in the league and help to create the culture for each of us. The various weekly tasks help generate the habit of checking the forums, the PT tasks are the demo sizes of media (writing/images), and the various cash payouts for discord activity help build the habit of interacting with others in the league. Sports broadly are interesting due to the combination of unpredictability and the environment around them - there are hundreds of sites, videos, etc. all talking about what's going on, analyzing the past in different ways and trying to predict the future. The ISFL is a reduced version of that - the media section of the forum has analysis, the history of how games play out build up rivalries, and there's tons of speculation during the offseason of what moves teams will be making in the draft and in free agency. PTs and the offseason tasks aren't directly producing that kind of content, but it does help to get the users in the mindset of thinking about different parts of the league.

3. Liveliness: With a schedule featuring a single fixed point activity on weekdays during the season (the sim release), it's plausible that most users could basically ignore the ISFL except for looking at the results on a daily or weekly cadence. With a userbase spread out all over the world, though, having tasks that promote activity at other times helps the users who aren't primarily checking in for the sim outcomes to still see new content on the forums and discord when they come to the site. I'd guess that seeing a bunch of new posts in a thread for a point task someone has already done wouldn't be a super exciting event, but it still helps everyone remember that there are others involved and that interesting things can happen at any time.

So, do I think that this writing is still a bit of a waste? Yes - I think each individual post is fundamentally not really useful in the grand scheme of things. However, I think that the total set of all users doing these is useful for the league, and so I'm not going to advocate for getting rid of them or to change them drastically or anything. And hopefully next season I'll be able to write about how Austin win the Ultimus rather than having to be sad about the lack of playoffs again.

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - LHarm - 06-04-2023

14. Expansion Expansion Expansion! Tell us why you think the league should expand/not expand or include any ideas (in words) for team branding ideas you have or team locations.

Let me get this straight, I think expanding is a terrible idea.  We have the perfect number of teams right now, and I wouldn't mess with that great balance.  But writing about why we shouldn't expand wouldn't be fun, so I'm gonna talk about ideas for expansion teams down the line if the league experiences a sudden boom for some reason.  I'm going to talk about two ideas, one for a city that's obvious but boring, and one that would never happen.

There's a place that's the largest metro area and largest city to not have a team in this league.  If you're familiar with geography like me, you'd know that city is Houston.  Two major sports teams in the area are space-themed, with the Rockets and Astros, so why not complete the trio?  I'd like to make this a natural object, as rockets are man-made and astronauts are a profession.  I think the best way to narrow it down is to pick a color scheme, and I think I'll go black and yellow.  It's one I really like, and yellow is not used much in the ISFL (where I'm assuming this team will be).  The obvious thing that comes to mind is a yellow star over a black background, so let's use that.  But the name will be the Clusters, because I don't want to use stars.  The other reason I chose Clusters is because Houston is a cluster-fuck of a city with all the highways.

The other one I won't spend long on, since it's more of a joke.  My idea is the Northwest Arkansas Boars!  It's not original, I just want an Arkansas look-alike in the league.  To be more serious when choosing a better name though, I'M GOING WITH THE THUNDER CHICKENS BABY!  IT SHOULD'VE BEEN USED FOR THE MINOR LEAGUE TEAM THAT CAME HERE!

16. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?

Despite concerns he wouldn’t adjust well to having to also punt in the NSFL, he had a spectacular showing in the Prospect Bowl before getting drafted 12th overall to the Dallas Birddogs in the 2056 DSFL Draft. In his first game, he got the Special Teams Player of the Week Award with 3/3 XPs and a perfect day on field goals, including a 50-yarder. Before Week 2, he was named as one of the two team captains. While this was going on, James was having doubts about his position of kicker. He "didn't enjoy it as much as in college". Due to a rapid change in life, James began to stress eat and became the weight of a lineman. In practice, he was tried as a DE for a joke by the coaches. Despite it being a joke, it became apparent that he was the best defensive lineman they had. After two weeks of middling performances at kicker in a row, James announced that he would be switching to DE for the rest of his career. He played his last game at kicker in Week 4 of S41 of the DSFL. It wouldn't be until Week 7 when he got his first proper game at DE. Before his Week 5 match-up at Portland, a fan of the Pythons spiked his drink at a nearby bar. During the game, he was seen talking to the coaches about how something wasn't right. His illness continued into Week 6 vs. London, and after the game, reports came out about the fan being caught on camera. He was back for Week 7 and his play didn't improve much even after he recovered. This cold streak continued all the way to Week 13, when he finally broke through and got 7 tackles in one game. With Dallas winning two games though, that was it for the year. James was selected with the 22nd overall pick in the S42 ISFL Draft, but opted to stay down a year and play his new position of LB.

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Tayjay - 06-04-2023

Code:
36. Affiliate PT from either SHL/SSL/PBE. The Weeks must match with the timeframe of this Offseason Task. And you may only use a max of 1.
PBE affiliate

Code:
16. Describe your player and/or team’s journey through this latest season. What were the highlights? What were the lower points? What might you have done differently? What are your expectations for next season?
I'm not sure our football team had that many highlights. After starting the season one and zero we were never above five hundred for the rest of the season. The defense struggled to stop opponents, and if we were lucky enough to be up by a couple scores in the first half, we usually had a combination of bad offense and bad defense in the second half. I do think we learned a lot about our team thought. We had a lot of skill players step up this season. We spread the ball around a ton on offense and made us a much harder team to face. Falco spread the ball around and it was hard for other teams to key in on just one player. However, when teams crowded the box and tried to shut down our good run game is when we usually struggled. We struggled when we were forced to pass the ball as evidenced by some of Blaine's games where he had a fifty percent completion percentage. Overall Blaine Falco had a solid but not spectacular rookie season. His stats were kind of in line with where I thought I would be when we did season predictions. Falco showed poise and moved the ball around to multiple receivers. He had some great games with three touchdowns. He also protected the ball well for the most part. Like I said earlier, that when he was forced to throw is when things got sketchy. I think if I could have done it differently I would have put more of an emphasis into endurance and strength because I could have maxed those out quicker. With getting intelligence to one hundred it took forever and I could have been increasing other attributes. However, after this offseason I think teams will get hurt if they try and stack the box against this offense. I am hoping to be one of the top three or five quarterbacks in the league.

Code:
31. Make up an award for your player (or even someone else) to win for something not on the football field. (Written or Graphic Task)
If I could make up an award for my player that was not related to football it would definitely be that he is one of the best recreate characters ever created. Most people just use players of today's football and slap a funny name or a junior onto the end of some other name. How about creating the fictional son of a fictional football player in a movie. Not only that but it was portrayed by Keanu Reeves! Still not enough, well how about Keanu playing an Ohio State quarterback in two different movies. I like to think that Blaine is the quarterback in all of us. The ultimate likeable guy that is also the underdog of the story. So why shouldn't he finally win an award for being such a great recreate. This leads to some great gifs in the locker room during games, and even the sigs people make are pretty cool. Blaine you are officially voted the best recreate character.

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Evok - 06-04-2023

https://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=131302&pid=3370810#pid3370810

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - WrittinDirectino - 06-04-2023

13. Choose a team or player to write about that isn’t your own. What did they do well in the last season? Have they shown any drastic improvements from previous years? What could they do better?

After losing to the Kansas City Coyotes for the third time this season, I decided KCC would be the topic of my offseason task. Not unlike Bondi Beach last season, KCC has made a drastic turnaround after going 4-10 in Season 40. They finished their S41 Campaign at the top of the league with a 11-3 record and an Ultimini appearance. Let’s take a look at their worst-to-first season.

THE RISE OF JAKE JEFFERSON
Jake Jefferson plays an electric brand of football. An exciting but flawed prospect who showed flashes of greatness, Jake Jefferson played in a funky dual quarterback system last season. Mostly employed as a gadget player at the beginning of the season, Jefferson earned a bigger role as a passer as the season went on. In S41, the departure of Mathis Mayhem meant Jefferson would be thrusted into the full time quarterback spot and he has made the most of this opportunity.
Jake Jefferson’s game is a treat for the eyes in a league dominated by pocket passers and field generals. He is a true dual threat quarterback. His reads and progressions have gotten a lot better and he doesn’t have to overtly rely on running anymore. He’s not just a scrambler who can run when a play breaks down. He’s fast and strong enough to execute designed quarterback runs consistently. I still remember his 60 yard run in Week 1 against London!

LE MISSOURABLE
I tried to come up with a better nickname for the KCC defense. Trust me, I really did. This was the best I could do.

KCC had the best defense in the league by far this season, according to every metric and the eye test. When you look at their defensive roster, no one really stands out-because everyone is pretty much elite. It’s clear KCC FO has done a great job picking up active, motivated and talented players. If you choose to run against KCC, the running back will have to go through Sonny Johnson, Aleksandr Ković, and if, miraculously, he is still up and running, will have to get past Ice Pick O’Hullihan. If you decide to pass, well good luck escaping the collapsing pocket and passing to receivers with cornerbacks draped all over them.

Could KCC keep their core or will they be sniped away by ISFL GMs who have surely been keeping an eye on Kansas City? This offseason could be crucial for the future of the Coyotes.

22. Make a scouting report for any of the ISFL or DSFL draftees. Show their stats, abilities, TPE, or highlights. (Written or Graphic Task)
Martin Bachman-RB-London Royals

Prospect Info
College: Mississippi State University
HT: 6ft 4 in WT: 250 lb
Draft Projection: Late first-early second
ISFL Comparison: Jeff Newman
NFL Comparison: Latavius Murray

Overview
A tight end to running back convert with a massive frame. Martin Bachman was the lead running back for the London Royals and amassed 1111 yards in his rookie campaign. Teams will be wondering if the former tight end can improve on his pass catching ability to become an even more effective weapon. He is far from a finished product and has potential to be a star running back in the league.

Strengths
Showed tremendous growth throughout the season-sign of good work ethic
Great burst and loves to work inside the box-7~10 yard runs are his bread and butter
Very well rounded
Reliable in the red zone

Weaknesses
Drops are an issue
Was never really a home run threat despite having the tools to do so
Can be indecisive sometimes especially in more complex blocking situations

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - hannahg32 - 06-04-2023

pbe pt

11 - Jayme Jayne Jay-Jaymison was born in Janesville, WI, to her father JJ Jay Jay-Jaymison Jr and mother Rachel Jay-Jaymison. She is also the grand daughter of J.J. "Jay" Jay-Jaymison (Sr.), so she has come from a long line of int sim football league players, and being the first girl in the line, many people questioned where that trend would continue in the family. jayme almost immediately picked up football, and like her father and his father before him. she even started in the family business of kicking to following her family's footsteps. in high school, she would make 100 yard field goals in games ju8st continually, to the point where no one else on offense would play nay of the games and they just kicked field goals from wherever they got the ball, and with 100% accuracy, jayme would be able to hit every single kick that she would make. this would force the opposing team to always have to score points, as well as be tired from always being out there, where as jayme's team would be built around that so the entire team eventually became just defensive players so that they would not get tired playing the whole game, unlike the opponent. this meant that jayme's high school never lost a single game that she played in. this of course meant that many colleges wanted to get her on their team, but ultimately she chose to go to Jay's Technical Institute, an almost completely unkown college, but she managed to win 4 straight national championships with the school. every single isfl team dreamed of getting a talent like this onto their own team, as that is why when the time came she was selected in the 3rd round of the draft with the 14th pick of the draft, and there she never missed a single kick in her isfl career ever - 313

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Ajax - 06-04-2023

Task 1

Podcast

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4QjGttWIGMTYxPXqkBiqM9?si=ate_NPNsRxu6oToVXKZTkQ

RE: (S42) Offseason Task - Weaves - 06-05-2023

Every season is a new season is the ISFL and the DSFL. Teams rise and fall, and frankly with the sim it is impossible to know who will always come on top, because the sim may
kneel you on second and third down for no reason and then you lose. It is the way it is. But, I think there will be some similarities between last season and this season.
First off, I think CTC will porbably remain very strong as lots of their core is not in regression, therefore the odds of a repeat seem at best medium. But, they still may
be the best team with the best odds at this point. We need to take into account that LCC and Negs may have some tricks up their sleeve to bring CTC back to the promised laps,
and nobody questions LCC's rap ability, which is good for 0.75 EPA/Wins a year. Other teams that could suprise are OCO - a team that finished pretty good all things considering and
how young the team is, so I expect big things from that team as well.

Arizona is another team that you really cannot count out, as they usually find a way to have success down stretches
in the season. Sailor is no longer in town, however, so I think there will be an expectaion that there may be an offensive step backwards, but the team is talented enough to find a way
to win despite this.

Lets also not forget about the perinnial favorites yellowknife wraiths, a team that is just flat-out consistent. They may have half of their roster regressing,
which is an obvious obstacle to their chances, but the very strong leadership mixed with the best O-line and running duo in the league creates situational matchup nightmares for all
of the other teams in the league. When you can run it like they can, it will always keep you competitive. This team is also getting younger, their top draft picks are earning, and
while regression is hittng, expect a massive youth movement over the next 4-5 seasons. The runningback duo may do enough to keep the team afloat while the retool occurs.

There is also teams like NY, who have had some strong drafts as of late, and have a duo of year-2 players (wizard and Jumbo) who are likely going to expolode in year 2. This is another
team to watch because I feel like they are getting overlooked, but can seriously make some noise in the conference.

Next up, and always a fan favorite is ICE BEAR, YES ICE BEAR, and the Honalulu hahhahaahhahalal. Absolutely loaded on the offensive side of the ball, and scoring points of teams is more
of a guarntee than a speculation, it is the defense that raises all the questions. This was a very strong team in the first half of the year, but fading in the back half of the year, losing
to Arizona in the playoffs. I expect big things from this team yet again, as they are probably my pick to win the conference, but I see the conference being very competitive overall.

The most interesting team to watch overall will probably be NOLA, as they are engaging in what appears to be a full scale rebuild, and anyone with a pulse being traded. It is going to be
interesting to see where this teams ends up, presumably still last, but they do not actually have their first round pick this upcoming season, it goes to ARI, much to the dismay of the
entire league yet again. Every position is largely made up of rookies so expectations cannot be very high, and may be a glorified DSFL team at this stage.