International Simulation Football League
*Andrew Reese Bulks Up - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Andrew Reese Bulks Up (/showthread.php?tid=10508)

*Andrew Reese Bulks Up - SwagSloth - 10-02-2018

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]A.A. Reese Bulks Up for the Draft
[Image: GettyImages-501247896.jpg&w=480][/div]
Earlier today, “Double A” Andrew Allen Reese shocked football fans across the country as he announced a position change. The fact that he is changing to a new position is hardly a shock in itself, but the announcement itself caught everyone off-guard as he informed reporters that he will be entering the NSFL as a Defensive Tackle! . Facing the public for the first time since the regular season, Reese looked to be in incredible shape and had obviously had an impressive amount of weight in a short time. Many speculated that Reese might make his way over to the other side of the field as a Cornerback or Safety. Some even joked that the rookie QB was tired of causing interceptions by accident and simply wanted to start causing them on purpose. However, no one foresaw a change of this magnitude.

Reese spoke to the press following the announcement to answer a few quick questions.

Q: What led to your decision to change? And why did you seek this position?

A: This is something I’ve secretly been contemplating for a long time. And it’s not a decision that was made lightly. I’ve enjoyed my time at the Quarterback position and I feel proud to have held that designation, but it’s always been my goal to play at the highest level. And the truth is that the majority of the Quarterbacks that go through the DSFL never get to start in the NSFL. It’s a difficult position to excel at and the league has been blessed with some incredible players that already fill that role. The scouts that I spoke to during the season have been very honest that I should expect to spend a good part of my career in the DSFL and, by the time I reach the NSFL, if I even do, my career might already be winding down. I’m glad I was able to play this role in the DSFL, but the leap to the pro level is a big one.

Q: What led you to the Defensive Tackle position? Why not take on a similar role?

A: It all comes back to something I said on my way into the DSFL. I told teams that I was a guy who could carry the Quarterback role. And I struggled. Big time. I wasn’t prepared for the challenges that faced me at that level and, unfortunately for the Kansas City fans, it showed on the field. I feel bad about that. I feel like I let the team down. It would be easy to switch to another role, but I believe in carrying myself with integrity and that means following through on your word. Now, I’m not the Quarterback I promised everyone I could be. But I am a man who embraces a challenge. And so I wanted to take on a big challenge.

Q: How is a drastic change like this possible in a single off-season?

A: First off, if I can give myself a little credit, I think I’ve always been a very well-rounded athlete. I’ve been able to make major adjustments when teams have called on me to do that before. And I’m very proud of that. Hitting the gym and bulking up is no easy task, but it’s one that has really motivated me. A lot of credit goes to the people around me, though. They’ve put a lot of work into helping me prepare for my new role. I spent a lot of time with the Coyotes’ defensive line and the coaching staff in studying the ins and outs of their position and the training that they go through every day. I’ll also note that there were some discrepancies reported by the DSFL staff. Early into the season, I dropped some weight after entering the league at 260 lbs. Given my height, the coaching staff felt this was too much weight for me to carry if I wanted to stay in the Quarterback role long-term. They reported a drop of 50 lbs., but it was actually 15 lbs. I’ve since added that back on and am currently adding more weight to prepare for the new position. I anticipate that I should be in the expected weight class for my new position once preseason arrives.

Q: Do you believe that this will have a major impact on your position in the draft? And was that the motivating factor in this change?

A: Absolutely. I’d be lying if I said otherwise. We all try to play it cool and act like it doesn’t matter where we get picked, but we all work hard on the field in hopes of getting our number called early. The chance to be a #1, #2, or #3 draft pick is extremely rare. And, with a great class like the one that will be joining the NSFL next season, the competition is as tough as it’s ever been. I’ve always felt that, even with my struggles, I was a first-round talent. In terms of natural athletic ability, I honestly believe that. However, teams aren’t going to waste an early pick on a Quarterback unless it’s a serious need and most teams simply don’t need someone to fill that role right now. And, in a draft this stacked, the first few picks have to make an immediate impact. So, that’s what I’m looking to do. I need teams to know that, when they invest in me, they’re getting a player that can start contributing on day one.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: JJWatt_AP970.jpg?itok=Kxgu0bLE][/div]
Q: What do you say to Coyotes fans that feel that you weren’t worth the #2 DSFL draft pick?

A: I’d say that they’re right to feel that way. I walked into that draft with the confidence that was required of me, but that confidence blinded me. There were many people that warned me prior to the draft that another position would be a better fit for me. I’d like to think that I’ve learned from that mistake and I’m proud to say that I’m listening to the people around me. Unfortunately, Kansas City is left without a Quarterback and, depending on where I’m drafted, I may not be returning to the DSFL in any capacity. That’s a rough break for the pick they used on me. But the one constant in the DSFL is change and I believe that the staff there will be able to rebound from this. If I have the chance to return to the DSFL next season, I’ll play with all of my heart and try to do right by those fans. And, if not, then I still wish them the absolute best going forward.

Q: Were the teams that have been scouting you informed of this change in advance? If so, what was the response?

A: Overall, it has been very positive. I also took a long look at the Linebacker role and even the Running Back position. Ultimately, I like being in the middle of everything and I’m really looking forward to seeing things from the other side of the ball. The Defensive Tackle presents a rare challenge for me and allows me to make a much needed impact in the league.

Q: Did your experience with Kansas City lead you to leave the Quarterback position? Do you have any negative words for the coaching staff there given the struggles this season?

A: I don’t think it’s fair to call it a negative experience. Our record was not what we wanted it to be, but that team worked hard and I appreciate the efforts of every single guy that I played with on that field. There were struggles, but I take the blame for that. Today’s announcement allows me to move forward and reinvent myself, which I’m excited about. Listen. Anytime you leave a position that’s close to your heart, it’s hard. I wish that I was the Quarterback that I believed I could be coming up, but careers aren’t defined by the way they start. They’re defined by the way that we respond to obstacles and I feel that this is an opportunity for me to overcome a major obstacle. I’d like to be a good Quarterback, but I’d rather be a great player. Regardless of the position.

Q: Your agent has started calling you “Double A”? You never used your middle name before. What inspired this change?

A: It’s probably silly, but my agent recommended it and I took a liking to it. Growing up, the kids used to call me “Double A”. It reminds me of a simpler time, a time when I was still finding out who I was. Now that I’ve got a chance to step back and figure that out once again, I think it’s important to remember my roots. This is a new era for me. And the new nickname represents that.

Indeed, Reese seems to have a long road ahead of him, but he seems invigorated by the opportunity. Only time will tell if this former Quarterback can make a difference in the D-Line.

1613 Words

*Andrew Reese Bulks Up - majesiu - 10-03-2018

Good luck to Double A in the NSFL in a new role!

It's a shame I won't have the pleasure of having you in the QB role for at least one season, but completely understandable and have no doubt that player of your calibre is going to start from day one in the NSFL on any team.

*Andrew Reese Bulks Up - SwagSloth - 10-03-2018

(10-03-2018, 01:09 AM)majesiu Wrote:Good luck to Double A in the NSFL in a new role!

It's a shame I won't have the pleasure of having you in the QB role for at least one season, but completely understandable and have no doubt that player of your calibre is going to start from day one in the NSFL on any team.
Thanks! I will miss KCC for sure!

*Andrew Reese Bulks Up - iamslm22 - 10-03-2018

Based upon font size alone - your articles are amazing.