International Simulation Football League
*kckolbe Draft Review - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *kckolbe Draft Review (/showthread.php?tid=10675)

Pages: 1 2

*kckolbe Draft Review - kckolbe - 10-12-2018

Here’s a draft review most non-GMs or draftees will care about, but that’s how this works. Not gonna hand out grades or x of 10 ratings, just gonna say a bit about each pick, and you guys can figure out how I felt about it.

#1 – Lennox Garnett PHI : @37thchamber damn near won Most Dedicated Member two years in a row, and plays a position Philadelphia desperately needed. Oh yeah, and he was the best earner in TPE/day. Keep that in mind. This isn’t the pick I thought they’d make, and I wasn’t alone, either, but there is nothing foolish or even odd about it.

#2 – Alex Selich ARI : @Tomen was mocked first overall on a lot of mocks, so the only surprise here was that he was on the board. Great locker room guy, solid earner, and for a team that just lost 3 LBs to auto-retirement, a highly needed position. Everything was right.

#3 – Andrew Reese ARI : This one was kind of tough, as a few days before the draft our number one priority was Mbanefo. However, once @SwagSloth switched to DT, which we had slightly more desire for than DE, he became the pick. Like Garnett, this is someone who doesn’t need money to thrive, and fills a serious need, replacing Ramrio in the middle.

#4 – Antonio Summer YKW : Okay, a talent like this going 4th overall doesn’t surprise me at all, but position-wise, makes 0 sense. This is a team with Robby Rainey and Borro Gore. RB is one of 2 positions this team isn’t completely fucked on (the other one being Pennington, who is probably wishing he hadn’t signed as long a deal). Their #1 WR is Bailey Cook. Their front seven seems it will contain someone whose name ends in “bot.” @mckee29 is a cool dude, dedicated site member, and appears to be a good fit for the locker room, but I think this was a bad choice. I really think they were hoping to grab Reese, who had just switched to DT, arguably their biggest need, and who was more than open to returning, but you have to have a backup plan that makes sense. Look for Gore to go on the trade block for a WR. Rainey can remain as a FB, which will allow Summer to thrive.

#5 – Sunnycursed OCO : As with the previous pick, the user makes sense. @ADwyer87 is beyond active, has the bank account to max for years, and I see no issue with personality. And for a team that has both WRs at their peak, looking long term makes sense. So why did this pick surprise me? Because this draft was loaded with solid receiver talent, and he was only 12th in TPE/day, not exactly the kind of rate you throw the draft board away for.

#6 – Tana Keita NOLA : Having mentioned he might want to go back to his old home in free agency, @Ben falling to New Orleans made complete sense, as did them taking him. Needed position, already part of the locker room, solid earner. Not much to say.

#7 - Kwame Abayomi Mbanefo BAL : I bitch a lot about great talent falling to Baltimore, but at least this time there was good talent ahead of the steal. @Rabidsponge21 made the league care about kickers again when his previous player went in the first round. And now that he is playing a more important position, Baltimore is going to be thrilled with this pick, mainly because he shouldn’t have been available. With Philly, Yellowknife, and Orange County all needing defensive line, I am kinda happy Baltimore made them pay by not letting him fall further.

#8 – Dan Schneider BAL I was really looking forward to the decline of the Hawks defense once their secondary were all retired, but with this the addition of @LGMForever, it’s never really going to suck like I hoped. Honestly, not a whole lot to say about this one, other than I bet Baltimore would have preferred a CB to another S, but that’s life.

#9 – Ryan Cobalt PHI : This pick surprised me for two reasons. 1) Philly already drafted Lennox Garnett first overall, and had Lucari Felix at CB. 2) @Tinkler had mentioned being friends with mckee, which generally implies a preference for being on the same team. To the second reason…well done. If both Cobalt and Summer end up FAs three seasons from now, I think Philly will be the better team, and I like to think they were betting on that when they selected Cobalt. Or, as later conversation with mckee indicated, maybe the Liberty GM was just following orders. As for the first reason…it was still a need, there were only two player I think Philly could have taken over Cobalt. However, with Cobalt, Philly now has the #1 and #2 earners in TPE/day.

#10 – Footballer Sackerman ARI : As mentioned in the last article, Arizona needed to replace 4 of their front seven this offseason, and another 2 over the next two offseasons. @cpetrella has an excellent disruptor build and is already an upgrade to last year.

#11 – Thjalfi Halvorsen NOLA : The first wide receiver taken after Sunnycursed. This was a really odd one, in that New Orleans traded up to get the pick, then spent several hours before making the pick. There was significant speculation that they were hoping to get Sackerman, and hadn’t expected him to be picked. Halvorsen was one of several route runner wide receivers in the same range of TPE as Parker, Kindle, and Nagasawa, so it seems they either really wanted @tez in the locker room, which would be understandable, but I still think they were banking on someone else. If this was the guy they wanted, I think they made a mistake, since there was so much comparable talent.

#12 – Bobson Dugnutt YKW : This was a required pick. Kind of unfortunate, since they had another pick in the second round. I’d be open to seeing this rule revised to simply requiring a second round pick. Dugnutt is a much-needed CB in a draft where the only two high quality corners were GM recreates, making it official that CB is the new OL.

#13 – Steven Moore ARI : The best thing here is that Arizona was considering Moore at 11, but traded down. Personally, I wanted to draft someone else (enjoy the suspense), as I didn’t think TE was a big need, but @maxcrazy had stated a willingness to play other positions. With CB being so sparse, maybe that is a possibility, but too early to see what will happen.

#14 – Josh Parker YKW : Well, the Wraiths did need some new talent at wide receiver, and Parker…wait, what? @goilers is a CB now. Shit! That is genuinely upsetting. All my talk about a lack of high quality CBs and there was one right there in the second round. I am not sure if the pick makes more or less sense now. On one hand, Yellowknife still has Bailey Cook as a #1 WR, boasting by far the worst receiver corps in the league for next year. Leaving this unaddressed can’t be good news unless they are hoping for a WR in free agency. However, Parker was the most valuable player still on the board, even if Yellowknife didn’t really need a CB yet. Besides, it won’t be long before Parker is not only on the field, but in a crucial role.

#15 – Marc Spector OCO : An absolute steal for Orange County, just like Showbiz in S9. Orange County has done a great job of taking advantage of recreate rules, and @RedCydranth will help keep them relevant for many seasons to come, as he is #1 in TPE/day. Not bad for a late second rounder.

#16 – Yulin Nagasawa BAL : Honestly, I think it’s hard to make a claim for anyone else being the best player on the board, except, of course, for one very obvious pick. But I’ll get to him later. For now, though, @Vikain becomes the #5 receiver (assuming he is called up, which seems likely with Browning traded away). I think it speaks very strongly of Baltimore’s roster that they could afford a second round pick on a #5 receiver, but that’s what good management gets you.

Well, that’s two rounds down, and while I am certainly planning on writing more later, I need to take a break. I did a podcast with @Sweetwater that ran about two hours, so I am gonna call it a night. Besides, the draft was already streamed, so I know some folks are eager to see this.

*kckolbe Draft Review - tez - 10-12-2018

The only person who gets to call me a mistake is my mother.

And she has.

*kckolbe Draft Review - Ben - 10-12-2018

(10-13-2018, 03:41 PM)tez Wrote:The only person who gets to call me a mistake is my mother.

And she has.

hahahaha and this is why you are a perfect fit with the team

*kckolbe Draft Review - BWIII - 10-12-2018

Quote:maybe the Liberty GM was just following orders

No idea what that is supposed to mean, but I basically had him pegged in that spot if available from the get go

*kckolbe Draft Review - Tinkler - 10-12-2018

Yeah me and Nick really wanted to be rivals through our careers. It worked out really well that I landed with Brown who he has named his other rival and that we're divisional rivals now. Couldn't have gone better in my opinion.

*kckolbe Draft Review - ADwyer87 - 10-13-2018

Am i the first Otter ever to be in HO @timeconsumer ?

*kckolbe Draft Review - ADwyer87 - 10-13-2018

you didnt account for me being the sexiest draftee btw

*kckolbe Draft Review - AdamS - 10-13-2018

(10-12-2018, 07:41 PM)tez Wrote:The only person who gets to call me a mistake is my mother.

And she has.

welcome home son

*kckolbe Draft Review - SwagSloth - 10-13-2018

I'm super excited to be in Arizona and glad you guys drafted me. While nothing formal was ever said, I strongly suspected Bzerkap would grab me at #4, so I figured ARI or YKW were the two most likely options.

I'm curious what will happen with Moore. Worse case scenario, I know YKW utilized two TEs well for a while as did other teams, so he can definitely add value even at his current role. CB does sound awesome if he is open to that, too.

*kckolbe Draft Review - iamslm22 - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 07:48 AM)SwagSloth Wrote:I'm super excited to be in Arizona and glad you guys drafted me.  While nothing formal was ever said, I strongly suspected Bzerkap would grab me at #4, so I figured  ARI  or  YKW  were the two most likely options.

I'm curious what will happen with Moore. Worse case scenario, I know YKW utilized two TEs well for a while as did other teams, so he can definitely add value even at his current role. CB does sound awesome if he is open to that, too.

Hawks are using two TEs right now - it's incredible. 10/10 highly recommend.