International Simulation Football League
Andrew Reese's Post-Draft Interview - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Andrew Reese's Post-Draft Interview (/showthread.php?tid=10684)

Andrew Reese's Post-Draft Interview - SwagSloth - 10-13-2018

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Andrew Reese's Post-Draft Interview
[Image: JJ-Watt-1016888.jpg?r=1536821781878]
[/div]
The results of the S11 NSFL Draft are in. We sat down with DT “Double A” Andrew Allen Reese later that night to talk about the draft and his thoughts on his new team, the Arizona Outlaws.

Q: Were you excited to see yourself get picked up at the #3 spot?

A: Absolutely. Once my switch to Defensive Tackle was made official, there was a lot of discussion about my draft stock rising. My goal was to get picked in the first round. So, to end up in such a prominent spot is simply amazing. And it tells me that this was the right move for my career. I’m very thankful to Arizona for having the confidence in me to select me that early and I intend to do everything I can to make sure that the pick they invested in me pays off.

Q: What are your thoughts on the #2 draft pick, Alex Selich? Is there any resentment seeing him go above you?

A: Not at all. Selich was the consensus #1 pick overall and it shocked just about everyone to see him drop. And that’s no knock on Lennox Garnett, who is an extremely talented player and just as worthy of that top spot. But when I saw Selich fall to the Outlaws, knowing that they also had the #3 pick, I instantly wanted to see myself in that next spot. Because that means that I would be joining the top consensus draft pick and, fortunately, that happened. I think we’re going to be a dangerous combo for this team and that, together, we add instant value to their defense . After our time together in Kansas City, I look forward to being able to continue playing alongside him for what I hope will be many years.

Q: The top 3 players off the board this year were Kansas City Coyotes. Any thoughts on that?

A: It’s cool as hell. It was a shame to see us miss the playoffs, but this was a team with a lot of raw talent and I think this really makes us feel vindicated.

Q: Are there any other teammates that were drafted that you feel can make an impact?

A: Oh, of course. The Arizona GMs really killed it this draft. I’m just overwhelmed at the level of talent I’m going to be joining on the field. The immediate standout for me is Footballer Sackerman, another of my teammates from Kansas City. He was actually someone that I spoke with very closely when considering the switch to DT and his advice was extremely helpful. He really gave me the confidence to make that leap of faith. I think we’re going to work well together and it’s great to see another familiar face in the locker room. Outside of that, TE Steven Moore and WR Harvey Kindle both stand to me as well. As a former Quarterback, they’re the types of players that I would have wanted down the field when I was slinging the ball and I think they’re in a position to make an immediate impact. I think this has just been a great set of picks from top to bottom. It gives me complete confidence in the leadership of this organization and their long-term plans for this team.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: watt1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=618&h=410&crop=1]
[/div]
Q: How has the transition to Defensive Tackle gone so far? Arizona must be impressed given that they invested such a high pick on you despite having no experience at your new position.

A: I know it would a difficult road, but that didn’t discourage me. The good news is that getting drafted as early as I did is a sign that the team is really happy with the progress that they’ve seen me make so far. But there’s a lot more work to be done. On a personal level, I do feel untested. When I was watching that draft board throughout the night, I saw defensive ends and defensive tackles with relevant stats next to their name. Those stats are proof of what they can do on the field. For me, I’ve proven that I understand the offensive side of the ball, but defense is a different animal and I’ve got a lot of work to do if I want to be able to perform at that same level in my new position. So, truth be told, I’m not going to be completely comfortable in this role until I’’ve had a few games under my belt and I know that I can deliver at the level that me team needs me to do. But I’m making up for lost time and I don’t intend to let that lack of experience hold me back. I’m a competitor and I’m here to earn the respect of my peers. It might take a game or two for me to get my footing, but by mid-season, I intend to be the guy that stands out when people talk about rookie linemen.

Q: What are your thoughts on the Arizona defense?

A: Knowing that it was possible I might end up there, I took a good look at the squad that they have and I think it can be a hard group to gauge. A lot of the league’s veterans have retired over the last few seasons and that’s hurt them. But they also have a plethora of young talent and I think there’s real potential here provided that we all step up and take our roles seriously. My ultimate goal would be to help this defense reach the level that they were at in the first few seasons. Arizona was a squad that offenses legitimately feared. And I think we can get there, but it’s going to take a lot of hard work. As a former QB, I understand the importance of elevating the people around you and I’m going to try to take that mindset with me into the locker room. As a DT, my job is very straight-forward. It’s easy to get caught in a tunnel vision mindset and lose sight of what the guys behind me are doing. I don’t have eyes in the back of my head and, traditionally, it will fall to other guys to make sure that we’re doing everything we can to properly counter opposing offenses. However, I can bring a lot to the table when we’re on the sidelines and in the locker room. And I tend to do my part to push these guys and help make us every bit as good as we can be.

Q: Do you feel this draft class will be enough to help Arizona improve from their 4-10 record last season?

A: The ASFC is a competitive division. It always has been. The Otters are as consistent as they come. The Second Line have also been dominant since new management stepped in a few seasons ago. The fight for even the #2 seed is going to be difficult. It would be naive of me to claim otherwise. But I look at not only what we can accomplish this season, but also the next few seasons after that. And I think the overall direction is very promising. Again, there’s a lot of hard work ahead. No one’s going to hand us an Ultimus. We’re going to have to reach up and yank it down ourselves. The real question is whether we really want it and I’m hoping that this is a team of guys who want to reach that mountain top. Because I know that I do.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"][Image: jj-watt-texans.jpg?w=628&h=353&crop=1][/div]
Q: Finally, given the rich history of the NSFL, are there any guys on the roster that you look forward to playing alongside this season?

A: Kevin Fitzpatrick is a promising Quarterback. He’s someone I admired during my college days. So, right off the bat, I know the offense has a guy in that role that they can trust. Viggo Squach is another one that immediately leaps right out at me as a quality playmaker. Those are two guys that, if I’m on an opposing defense, I’m going to game plan around. Defensively, Darren Morris is a legend. He’s a guy that always lives up to expectations. I don’t think he gets the credit that he’s due, but a lot of that has to deal with the team that’s surrounding him and I’m hoping we can help him get the level of recognition that he deserves. If this defense is going to reach the tier that I want it to, he’s going to be the guy that we build ourselves around. Then, you’ve got a couple of real legacy players from that era of dominance, guys like C.A. Chess and Reg Mackworthy. I know they’re not probably going to be around too much longer. This is a tough league and it takes its toll on guys. These recent retirements are proof of that. However, if you can allow me to just be a fan for a moment, it’s really @#$%ing cool to know that I’m going to walk into a locker room and see those two guys there.

1612 Words