International Simulation Football League
*kckolbe Draft Review - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *kckolbe Draft Review (/showthread.php?tid=10687)

Pages: 1 2 3

*kckolbe Draft Review - kckolbe - 10-13-2018

All right, folks, let’s keep this draft review going. Sorry for the delay, but 32 players is a bit overwhelming, especially since I kinda checked out after ARI’s last pick. Still, there was one pick that guaranteed I would be coming back for more…

#17 – K.J. Becker PHI : Are you fucking kidding me? You guys remember in the S9 draft when there was this really good QB who fell to tenth despite being a kick-ass earner with a good build? Well, only a couple of teams needed a QB, so it made a little sense? This year, a player literally every team could start fell almost a full round further. Have the GMs here learned nothing? @Kendrick played his ass off on every team he went to. Is there any doubt about him doing that now? Is it that no one likes sacking the other team’s QB? Really, this is a great prospect.
Kendrick: For what it’s worth, I wanted us to take you at 13, but word was that majesiu wouldn’t go to a team that had you, and ARI seemed the best contender to sign him if he opted out after this year. It’s a valid reason, I suppose, but I think you got disrespected hard, and I hope you ball out hard in Philly.
@BWIII: Not gonna act surprised, but you fucking killed this draft, dude, and while I hate seeing a good talent go to an eventual rival, well done.

#18 – Jerrod Canton SJS : This one kinda sucks, because Arizona was only one spot away from being able to draft him, and we were strongly considering it. A little over a season ago, San Jose felt they were in pretty good shape on this position with Lagerfield. However, with him going inactive and then retiring, I can’t say this is a horrible pick. He was far and away the best earner left on the board. Still, this was a team with a promising QB (Christ), two franchise WRs (Oles and Flash), and a more than capable TE (Brannigan). Was offense really what they needed to address with their first pick of the draft? I probably would have gone with Foster. However, @Sweetwater has a rich history in San Jose, and I am kind of glad to see that SaberCast Studio will still remain. Fuck it, sometimes the sentimental choice is the right one, and he was the best player available. Good pick, San Jose, and best of luck Canton.

#19 – Harvey Kindle ARI : How to Make a Backseat GM in the War Room Feel Like His Opinion Matters. Step 1, Identify a position that the player values, yet is very deep in talent. Step 2, completely ignore that position for the first 4 picks, addressing literally every other need first. Step 3, wait until a member of the identified position is clearly the best player available. Step 4, tell the meddling little fuck who won’t stop messaging you that he can have whoever he wants for the next pick. Step 5, graciously accept as he selects the player you were going to pick anyways. (Shoutout to @Bzerkap, @iamslm22, and @Mavfatha who have all had to endure this from me for multiple seasons, and to @run_CMC for handling it like a boss now)
That’s pretty much exactly how this draft went down. Wide receiver was deep as fuck, so we let them go while we addressed positions that were needed more and/or shallower in talent. We briefly considered trading down, but Yellowknife, who needed a DT and WR, was right behind us, and I really didn’t want to let @Radsin get picked. I may be a team player, but I also wanna make the Hall of Fame, so I gotta have SOME talent to throw to. Kindle was 16th in TPE/day, making him a valuable pick this late in the draft.

#20 – Will Foster YKW : Well fuck me, the Wraiths actually addressed a critical need, and didn’t even really have to reach to do it. Last year the Wraiths front 7 talent consisted of Tweed, Stone, Maddox, Ridley, Rodriguez, Skinner, Pennington, Steve, and Brown. That’s not only enough, but actually some nice depth. Unfortunately, four of them have announced retirement, and two more will auto-retire after S11. @ztevans is a known commodity in SCO and SHL, and should be an adequate earner thanks to the PT agreement between leagues. Only 3 more spots to fill, right?

#21 – Jonathan Rice OCO : Damn it. Talk about getting value on a need. @ml002 was 23rd in TPE/day, and two of the players above him are kickers. We were originally hoping to get him at 23, but Orange County is too good at what they do (except updating legally and extending players) to let a player like this fall past them.

#22 – Curtis Saul PHI : Well, it’s been a few paragraphs since I sucked some Philly dick. @Evok has now been part of two NSFL drafts, and has fallen far in both of them despite being a solid earner. And both times she was playing one of the most needed positions (OL in S3 and DT now). Honestly, I can’t say this is much of a steal since the players taken above were all good picks, but damn the Liberty are putting together a good team.

#23 – Slim Shady ARI : 3 picks on defense followed by 3 picks on offense. Arizona has had, by yardage, not only the top rusher in the history of the league, but actually the top skill position player in league history. However, as has been forecasted for the past year almost, it is time to pick a successor. @J.G.10 brings plenty of speed to take advantage of the best blocking in the league, and should be a touchdown machine once he is called up.

#24 – Kulture Fulture PHI : With back to back picks, the Liberty mixed things up by grabbing a kicker. This was surprising, since they’d already drafted one in S8, who was the S9 Offensive Rookie of the Year, which made complete sense in every way possible. I think this one came down more to the user than the position, as @Saliva^ has been active in the league since S1.

#25 – Roger Batoff PHI : Full disclosure, I love possession receivers. @yoye is a good dude in PBE, as well, currently the all-time batting leader in Wins Above Replacement for his draft class, which aint a bad claim to fame. I think Batoff will end up being their tight end for the next few seasons, maybe longer. A great pick at #25.

#26 – Ty Justice SJS : Really, San Jose? Here’s your defense right now:
Marrett DE 97
Poopsie CB 461
Troyski CB 3??
Deringer LB 604
Horne LB 568
Kane III LB LB 91 (auto-retired after S13)
Barnhardt DE 135 (auto-retired after S11)
Chambers DT 283 (auto-retired after S12)
Brill S 286 (self-retired after S11)
On offense, you already have Oles, Flash, Brannigan, one more season of Weston, and now Canton. Was this really still your priority? Look, @Justice has been a good earner, but right now all you have are a shitload of highly actives watching their players sit on the bench as every opposing offense eats up the clock. I hope Joliet Christ only cares about stats, because he is in for a lot of losses.

#27 – Gordon Ramsey NOLA : With majesiu switching to wide receiver and Bayley nearing the end of a solid CB career, it’s easy to understand why this was their priority, and I can’t really say I disagree with this as a late round gamble. If @LattimoreIsland works out, this will be a huge steal for the dominant pass-coverage in NOLA.

#28 – Thomas Carrasco YKW : Have you ever seen one of those Madden challenges where someone takes an entire team based off players from one position? I feel like @Bzerkap watched way too many of those and is now trying to build a team using only RBs, since this is the 4th one on his roster now. Obviously, @samee had been on his team with his last player, and wanted to come back, and getting an active player this last in the draft is hard to say no to. Unless there’s another one.

#29 – Jaylin Hobbs PHI : Talk about falling farther than expected. @Jayhawk stands out in a draft lacking big-bodied receivers, and with so few actives remaining, I really expected him to go earlier, and to a team needing receivers, maybe the team that had just drafted. Instead, he went to a team that seems to have no need for him, which is sad to see. With Bush, VonMatt, Hasselhoff, and now Batoff ahead of him in TPE, I worry one of he or Batoff won’t have a significant role until Bush retires, which may be pretty soon now.

#30 – Danny Methane SJS : You know what, SJS? This was a solid pick. Despite still showing 50 TPE, @DannyMethane has knocked out a couple of tasks, including the mock draft, and will be a valuable starter on defense.

#31 – Zoro Roronoa BAL : A week before the pre-draft, @Swegkingu was looking like a solid option, but his activity appeared to stop lately. As an all-purpose RB, maybe they figure he can work as a depth RB or even FB to a future Owen Taylor replacement. This late in the draft, it doesn’t seem to matter.

#32 – Spencer Lawes BAL : Contracts be damned, @Raven, you been replaced! This was a great pick to end the round on. Turkleton is very much nearing the end as one of very few S1 players, but Baltimore will have a replacement ready when the time comes. @HollowHead has earned very well for someone taken in the last pick of the 4th round, and should be part of the team for many seasons to come.

Well, there it is. There were picks after this, but there wasn't really anything to say about the next round, so I am gonna end it here. Thanks for reading.

*kckolbe Draft Review - Evok - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 04:16 PM)kckolbe Wrote:#22 – Curtis Saul PHI : Well, it’s been a few paragraphs since I sucked some Philly dick.  @Evok has now been part of two NSFL drafts, and has fallen far in both of them despite being a solid earner.  And both times she was playing one of the most needed positions (OL in S3 and DT now).  Honestly, I can’t say this is much of a steal since the players taken above were all good picks, but damn the Liberty are putting together a good team.

Duck off im clearly a 139 TPE player steal. And now being even more active with predictions (cause i wasnt even doing them). Philly GOAT draft.

(ty for the kind words)

*kckolbe Draft Review - Kendrick - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 02:16 PM)kckolbe Wrote:#17 – K.J. Becker PHI : Are you fucking kidding me?  You guys remember in the S9 draft when there was this really good QB who fell to tenth despite being a kick-ass earner with a good build?  Well, only a couple of teams needed a QB, so it made a little sense?  This year, a player literally every team could start fell almost a full round further.  Have the GMs here learned nothing?  @Kendrick played his ass off on every team he went to.  Is there any doubt about him doing that now?  Is it that no one likes sacking the other team’s QB?  Really, this is a great prospect.
Kendrick: For what it’s worth, I wanted us to take you at 13, but word was that majesiu wouldn’t go to a team that had you, and ARI seemed the best contender to sign him if he opted out after this year.  It’s a valid reason, I suppose, but I think you got disrespected hard, and I hope you ball out hard in Philly.
@BWIII: Not gonna act surprised, but you fucking killed this draft, dude, and while I hate seeing a good talent go to an eventual rival, well done.
Yeah I was a bit surprised by the selection but then again I had talked to Philly before the draft about the possibility of going there (maybe at the time the result was known) I don't know.

Maj can have his beef, but it's somewhat silly. I called him out because of his power hunger moves in the PBE (one move he did was fining me, something the rest of the league also disagreed with). So while he sits there and claims he is perfect, I sit here knowing he ain't worth much anyways.

*kckolbe Draft Review - Mavfatha - 10-13-2018

You are the master of the backseat GM for sure my friend

*kckolbe Draft Review - majesiu - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 10:35 PM)Kendrick Wrote:Maj can have his beef, but it's somewhat silly. I called him out because of his power hunger moves in the PBE (one move he did was fining me, something the rest of the league also disagreed with). So while he sits there and claims he is perfect, I sit here knowing he ain't worth much anyways.

That is interesting because I can't recall fining you, can you link such an event?
Neither PBE has ever immediately banned anyone, without warning.
I wouldn't call this a beef either, just I'm sure I wouldn't be able to enjoy fully a locker room which you'd be a part of, a mindset I'm certainly not alone in. And sim leagues are for fun, aren't they, so better to prevent the potentially unpleasant situation.
I'm not perfect nor claim that. If anything I would change a lot of things I've done since becoming commissioner, still you can only try, listen and improve.

(10-13-2018, 02:56 PM)majesiu Wrote:That is interesting because I can't recall fining you, can you link such an event?
I wouldn't call this a beef either, just I'm sure I wouldn't be able to enjoy fully a locker room which you'd be a part of, a mindset I'm certainly not alone in. And sim leagues are for fun, aren't they, so better to prevent the potentially unpleasant situation.
I'm not perfect nor claim that. If anything I would change a lot of things I've done since becoming commissioner, still you can only try, listen and improve.
Not alone in, but everyone just states their opinion based solely on someone else saying things. I was in a lockerroom with you and we both got along quite well.

There was a thing brought up about suspending/fining me for a joke made in discord about signing contracts (even though I'm not a GM). That's what I was eluding to.

*kckolbe Draft Review - kckolbe - 10-13-2018

(10-13-2018, 02:56 PM)majesiu Wrote:That is interesting because I can't recall fining you, can you link such an event?

We haven't banned anyone, to my knowledge

*kckolbe Draft Review - AdamS - 10-13-2018

"He fined me which everyone disagreed with"

quickly turned into

Some people talked about fining for a joke

Any further questions?

(10-13-2018, 03:48 PM)AdamS Wrote:"He fined me which everyone disagreed with"

quickly turned into

Some people talked about fining for a joke

Any further questions?
I went back and looked. I received a warning for telling a joke. So my point stands, you can not joke around and everything must be 100% serious all the time.

*kckolbe Draft Review - J.G.10 - 10-13-2018

Good article man, I'll do my best to replace the legend