International Simulation Football League
*Preseason Sit-Down with the S10 DRotY - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Preseason Sit-Down with the S10 DRotY (/showthread.php?tid=10808)

*Preseason Sit-Down with the S10 DRotY - GoonerBear - 10-19-2018

Welcome back to 104.9 The Horn, your FM station in Austin for the latest in sports. It has been some time since we last checked in with a rising star from the alumni of our own flagship campus of the University of Texas. Kolby Deringer comes to us by telephone from training camp, gearing up for a second season in the National Simulation Football League with the San Jose SaberCats. Deringer, as word immediately hit around here, was named the NSFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year for Season 10 and was first runner-up for Breakout Player of the Year as a rookie. Quite a future ahead of him, though we'll see how things are going right now. How are things out there in California?

Not too bad so far. First two preseason games could have gone better, though our preseason draw is also pretty stiff this time around. Gotta make it happen against anyone in this league, though. You get two chances against everyone, so no one's really got it stacked any better or worse. Defense has improved and our offense is getting going with the new guy, Joliet Christ, in the pocket.

Sounds like y'all are gelling so far. We'll start with the first question concerning awards night. They don't announce who's even on the nominee list until the show's already rolling, so it's a nervous time trying to guess what's going on in the committee's head. It ended up between you and Danny Grithead for this award. Lots of us expected you to be one of the frontrunners. How were you feeling that night?

I was certainly looking forward to seeing who came up for it. I had it in the back of my mind I was at least on someone's ballot, so that would at least get me a mention. It was a pleasant surprise to have gotten a nomination and 3 votes for Breakout Player of the Year, too. Would have been nice to take that, too, though I totally understand the committee's reasons. Viggo Squanch had an amazing year despite being the number one priority for defenders on passing downs in a shallow receiver corps. He's gonna be even tougher with Budda Browning pairing up and helping increase their chances.

Well, taking home some hardware and the committee taking notice so soon has to have you feeling good.

And it does, mostly to know I can help impact the SaberCats' chances in a game wherever they need me to go.

And I'd hope, someone of franchise fame as the first in the SaberCats' history to win Defensive Rookie of the Year, looking back at that list. You've got some excellent company in there. Now, onto your thoughts on your rookie season. A 4-10 campaign, hardly enviable and at the bottom of the ASFC. The club also didn't have a selection until 18th overall in this season's draft. Does that concern you the rebuild might take a while and you might get a bit too much tread on the tires?

While I will admit we've got a lot of work to do through the draft and maybe through free agency, the core we have is one that, given some time and a couple more players, we could be ready for a playoff push soon. Maybe not this season, even, though we could get going places with a QB on the up-and-up stepping into the pocket and a solid halfback in Jerrod Canton stepping up after Lagerfield called it a career early.

How do you think you'll stack up now, with the rookie label shed and having to strictly stack up against the seasoned vets?

I think I'll be fine. I'm still trying to help contribute to us focusing on improving as a team. On defense especially, we have to be able to understand each other quick. Defenses tend to need a game or two before they start solidifying, and it can be hell leading up to then. It drags out longer unless we pull it together sooner.

You're going to be a free agent in the coming offseason. What are your plans following the end of your current deal?

I'm not at liberty to say, though I will say I look forward to first discussing an extension with my current club's staff and seeing where that conversation leads us. I'm hopeful we can come to agreeable terms and keep our progress rolling toward those milestones - playoffs, ASFC, Ultimus.

To wrap up tonight, this just hit the news desk tonight...you are apparently going to switch jersey numbers for the coming season and this will be permanent. You had previously worn number 54 throughout your two seasons in Kansas City in the DSFL and during your rookie season in San Jose. What's the deal with that?

After our offseason began, the organization unveiled its inaugural SaberCats Hall of Fame. The class included Vincent Sharpei, an offensive lineman and linebacker drafted in Season 2. He served as co-GM in the organization's infancy, played a solid two seasons on the line and four monster seasons in the linebacker position. With season rosters due around the bend, Coach asked if I would be willing to give up 54 for the club to effectively retire it and I said "I'd be alright with giving up 54. What else is there?" And, well, with just about any other LB-eligible number available, I went ahead and picked up number 50. It resonates well with me. This is the number guys like Mike Singletary wore back in the day and Sean Lee picked up in more modern football.

Gotta sell those jerseys somehow right?

Hah, yeah. I know that'll irk some people who already got way too hyped and bought merch, though don't worry about it. I plan to stick with this one until the end of my time in San Jose, however that comes. I'll try to give advance notice if I'm asked to change again.

Well, we do appear to be out of time for any further questions. Final thoughts?

We've still got an uphill struggle in San Jose and some may rightfully continue to note we're not even the best team in California. We're looking to keep climbing the mountain this season for a longer-term goal. Doesn't mean we won't press for an occasional upset of expectation, though we understand we're still not quite through the process yet.

Alright, enjoy the rest of your day and good luck to you in the upcoming season. Up next, with the tumult of the Big 12 season so far and West Virginia going down in Ames, who in the heck is gonna come out of this scrap heap to rematch for the championship? Your Longhorns have the inside track to host, though it's still a tight race for who they'll face. That and more next on 104.9 The Horn.

(1145)

*Preseason Sit-Down with the S10 DRotY - Daybe - 10-19-2018

Very good read!