International Simulation Football League
*A Saberkitten Outlook - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Saberkitten Outlook (/showthread.php?tid=11245)

*A Saberkitten Outlook - AW13 - 12-06-2018

What do I hear anytime I mention the San Jose Sabercats? "They suck!" "They have only been good one season and other than that, they've been awful!" "Poor decision making and bad luck is all San Jose is!" "Trading away first picks and San Jose, name a better combination."

It all makes me yawn, its boring, it is outdated, it is just an excuse that people make because they are scared, they are afraid of what San Jose can and will become. It is easier to put a team down when they are struggling, but that struggling is not going to last, and now what is everyone going to do? I have heard people talk about Philadelphia in a similar light and they went out and had a decent season and have built a solid young defense and running game. San Jose is over here quietly building up something special, just wait.

Yes, Season 11, those Sabercats stink, they lost, a lot. But...San Jose was close in a lot of games, losing one game by getting the ball to the one-yard line for the clock to expire at the wrong time. There were other times where San Jose had a lead at the half, had the lead in the 3rd quarter and just ended up losing. It is a young team, it is a growing team and close losses are bound to happen with a team that is so young and just learning how to win. There were some terrific parts to the team, and they showed up throughout the season. The team did lose a lot, but the team did not look like losers, the team did not give up and that is what is important when building up a team and a franchise.

Let's detail those pieces of the team with more detail and looking at the player themselves along with their seasons and their future!

Quarterback: Joliet L. Christ
The young signal caller, by way of the Portland Pythons and the University of South Dakota, started season 11 as the starting QB in his official NSFL rookie season. It was...not great, but life is not great most of the times for a rookie quarterback in the NSFL. By overall rating, he was the worst QB at 90 overall which shows the level of quarterback in the league and while 90 is not bad, it is not to the level of the others right now. Going through an archetype change in the off-season due to a bad knee injury, his mobility was severely limited which caused Christ to be sacked a lot but his arm was still solid and better than it had been. On the season, Christ threw for 2,851 yards along with 10 touchdowns and 19 interceptions. It was a rough season for the rookie QB but there is only one way to go. As he enters his 2nd season in the NSFL, Christ looks to build upon his arm along with working his way back to mobility and should fare much better in Season 12. Even average quarterback play will drastically improve the outlook of the Sabercats season and as Christ grows, the power of the Sabercats offense will also grow. He has tremendous talent around him and he can be the best QB in the league if his development continues!

Running Backs: Jerrod Canton and Chris Orosz
More rookies! The young backfield of Canton and Orosz made their debut in season 11 as well to help the offense and help the young Quarterback be comfortable in his first season with being able to rely on the running game. While Orosz was more of the power back and played fullback as well, Canton was the quick back and was a definite workhorse for the Sabercats offense touching the ball and having more plays than anyone unless you count Christ handing the ball off to him. Canton ran the ball 343 times for 1513 yards and 11 touchdowns, having what I would consider an easy rookie of the year season based on the load he carried for the team. Orosz had 74 carries for 300 yards and 3 touchdowns but also contributed with 14 pancakes as well. The 2 also contributed in the passing game a bit albeit limited as neither had more than 20 catches or 100 yards. The continuing development of the two backs will be important to the future of the franchise as it can be a great thunder and lighting pairing of the two. Having the strong running game along with the developing franchise quarterback will make the team dominant on the offensive side of the ball.

Wide Receivers: Kazimir Oles, Xavier Flash, and Ty Justice
Maybe a young quarterback's best friend is a talented receiving core and the receivers for the Sabercats will be a definite help for a rookie QB. You have the speed guy in Oles, the possession guy in Flash and the new up and coming WR in Ty Justice. Last season, due to the struggling QB play, the WRs had a somewhat down season compared to how good they actually are. While both Oles and Flash got a solid amount of catches, the touchdown numbers were down on the Sabercats as Oles and Flash each had just 3 touchdowns apiece. To be fair, from watching the games, it seemed like passes were getting to the 1 or 2-yard line and Canton ran the ball in, so the WRs definitely could have had more with just a few more yards! WR Shane Weston was the 3rd guy last season and did not have a great year, so hopefully newcomer Ty Justice can step up and help the team on the offensive end and should have a solid year with an improving quarterback. The Sabercats have one of the most exciting WR tandems in the NSFL and as Christ grows, those should see that these wide receivers might have some of the best numbers you will see. They can spread the field and take the top off a defense when given the chance.

Tight Ends: Zapp Brannigan, Jorel Tuck? Ronnie Williams?
An actual quarterback's best friend can be a solid tight end. A guy that can get you a catch in traffic, help get those tough yardage and help block for both the run and pass game. The Sabercats have a solid tight end in Brannigan and he actually led the team in touchdowns for San Jose with 4. He was a major red zone threat for the offense and was relied upon inside the 20 to get those catches and touchdowns. Brannigan is not the fastest developing player but he is a player with a lot of talent and a lot of upside, I think he can build off his 61 catch, 4 touchdown season and evolve with the offense. Recently drafted TE Jorel Tuck is an unknown at this point, but why is he an unknown? It is not a sure thing he plays tight end. He is going to earn, he is going to be great, but he might move to a more needed position on the team, but if he stays tight end, I have no doubt he could be one of the greatest ever. I think 2 tight ends can be a smart move but San Jose also needs defensive help, time will tell on what happens here but overall, Tuck will be a great player for the Cats. Williams was a late round pick and can be an effective 2nd or 3rd tight end, not much is known about him but with his brother on the roster, it could maybe help the development of Williams to be a force for the tight end position for the Cats.

Offensive Line: Bots
They are bots, so hopefully, they perform, they were okay last year but need to protect a slightly more mobile QB.

Defensive Line: Danny Methane, Freezer Riposte, Ja'Brill Tuck
A unique blend of talent but super young like a lot of San Jose, the defensive line can be one of the better ones in the league. Methane was a very late round pick and ended up being a steal as he has developed some and has made impacts on and off the field as a defensive end and a killer graphics guy, I mean, look at my Negan sig, it is freaking awesome. Also, look at the stats, he didn't make many tackles but ended up tied in the NSFL for tackles for loss, the guy can play. Another late pick, Tuck looks to be another steal and has already put a lot into development, the defensive end position in San Jose is going to be solid for awhile! Unlike the previous two, Riposte was the number one overall pick in this past season's NSFL draft. Riposte is a dominant inside force and should be a great developing player and a player that can be one of the best of all time at his position. Premature? Maybe, but I have a lot of faith that he can be a leader on this defense. I expect a lot from the young defensive line and I think given a little bit of time, it will be one of the best units that we have seen in the last few years.

Linebackers: Ben Horne, Kolby Deringer, Chad Pennington
The cream of the crop, the most talented group of players on the Cats, the middle of the defense, the linebackers are going to be dominant. Featuring high TPE players at each position, opposing running backs, tight ends and quarterbacks are going to be afraid to play San Jose. Each of these players can make an impact on the field and are all over the place on the field. They are great locker room additions and make up most of the defensive TPE for San Jose. Horne and Deringer are carryovers from last season and both had pretty good seasons for a defense that was actually one of the best run stopping teams in the league. Horne finished the season with 114 tackles, forcing 2 fumbles, racking up 5 sacks and even contributing with 5 passes defended. Deringer was at 89 tackles, 7 tackles for loss, 3 forced fumbles, 4 sacks, 1 interception, and 14 passes defended. Both players affected the games in similar and different ways and both players were elite defenders for the team. Chad Pennington was brought over in a big trade that included multiple first round picks and is an immediate impact player. He had 108 tackles (3 for loss), 3 forced fumbles, 12 sacks, and 20 passes defended. He brings a pass rush to the defense that was unseen last year in San Jose as they ranked amongst the lowest in sacks on the year. The linebacking core takes another step here and if they play up to their talent, can lead San Jose into being a top defense.

Secondary: D'Pez Poopsie, Xandra Troyski, Benson Bayley, Trey Staley, Thad Pennington
Oh man, this secondary is deep with talent now. After a season where the pass defense left a lot to be desired much coming from young corners and very low TPE safeties, the secondary looks like a force now. Don't look now but CB TPE is starting to favor in the direction of the Sabercats with Poopsie being one of the elite corners now and Troyski a solid 2nd corner as well. They should do well to match up with some diminishing WR talent across the league and even if a WR manages to beat one of them...a safety will be there. Let's also not forget the recent trade that brought talented corner Benson Bayley over to San Jose to give them another capable corner in the nickel back slot who could also be effective all over the field. The safety combination of rising star Thad Pennington and new rookie GM player Trey Staley has the team excited. Last season they worked with mostly inactive Nate Piazza and decrepit old man Ja Brill and those two were torched a lot of times. The secondary is deep as hell, watch out QBs, watch out WRs, your time of torching the San Jose Sabercats is over.

Kicker/Punter: Neo Donaldson
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! CORBETT IS GONE!!!!!!! Easily the worst kicker in the league, I can say that former kicker Kyle Corbett probably cost the San Jose Sabercats a few games last season with his missed kicks and his awful punting ability. Bring in the talented Donaldson who has shown a great ability to progress and something special can be made. He was a rookie drafted in the 4th round of the S12 NSFL draft and was a huge position of need. As a rookie he is already better than Corbett and should provide a huge boost in both the kicking and punting game, this could be the most important acquisition and while I am not trying to add pressure or take anything away from other additions, I just really hated Corbett and his lack of leg. Donaldson is bae.

The improvements that will be made
Christ lacked arm and mobility, he now has a better arm and more mobility making for a dangerous threat at the QB position. Running backs Canton and Orosz were already good, they will be even better. Wide receivers are the same story, they will be even better. Tight ends get a boost from Tuck and Williams behind Brannigan, making for a full offense. The offensive line will now not have to block for a 50 speed QB which should hopefully help their play while still opening holes for the backs. The defensive line is a threat now, it has 3 active members and will be a force on opposing QBs and in the running game. The linebackers will get even better which is a scary thought for the league. The secondary will grow Poopsie and Troyski and actually have decent pieces around them this time with great safeties and a super talented yet old nickel back. The kicking game will be way better with Donaldson rather than stupid Corbett.

My belief
People think the recent moves are not going to help the team, that San Jose is doomed to be terrible forever. Stop thinking that. We have a new mindset, a GM and co-GM that care and players that want to be here and most importantly want to win. Yes, I am a co-GM, but I look at the other teams and say, why not us? We have a deep roster. Yes, it is young but it is very good. I think we will make noise and be a playoff contender THIS SEASON. I don't think this is false in anyway either, I really do believe it and a GM is supposed to believe. Yes, there are times when it might seem silly or dumb to like where in PBE I will take over an expansion team. Realistically, that team won't be good right away, but here in the NSFL, the Sabercats will be. This year is still working up to its full potential but I believe this is the season people might realize it and go, "Oh shit, the Saberkitties are now the Sabercats, they are scary good."

The truth
Kevin Fitzpatrick is not a good quarterback and for when you need a QB that you can trust, look to Christ as the answer.

*A Saberkitten Outlook - caltroit_red_flames - 12-06-2018

Here's my thing. Even if we don't win this year, do people assume that this roster goes away? Oh we didn't make the playoffs this season, guess all of us are going to FA.

Nah. We'll be back a season older and more experienced. I think you're all just scared that we're actually going to dethrone you silly Hawks, Otters and... New Orleanians?

*A Saberkitten Outlook - AW13 - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 09:16 PM)caltroit_red_flames Wrote:Here's my thing. Even if we don't win this year, do people assume that this roster goes away? Oh we didn't make the playoffs this season, guess all of us are going to FA.

Nah. We'll be back a season older and more experienced. I think you're all just scared that we're actually going to dethrone you silly Hawks, Otters and... New Orleanians?
Well said!

*A Saberkitten Outlook - iamslm22 - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 04:16 PM)caltroit_red_flames Wrote:Here's my thing. Even if we don't win this year, do people assume that this roster goes away? Oh we didn't make the playoffs this season, guess all of us are going to FA.

Second Liners?

*A Saberkitten Outlook - iseedoug - 12-06-2018

SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS

QB Killas

*A Saberkitten Outlook - caltroit_red_flames - 12-06-2018

(12-06-2018, 09:45 PM)iamslm22 Wrote:Second Liners?
Yeah that works