International Simulation Football League
Eye on the O-Line - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Eye on the O-Line (/showthread.php?tid=1163)

Eye on the O-Line - dropbear - 06-11-2017

As the NSFL's first ever preseason loomed, the internet was awash with articles confidently claiming the defensive talent would run amok in the football competition's inaugural season.

"I feel bad for the offensive lineman in this year's draft, I truly do". - Ian Ropeable

"If you're a fantasy guy, don't worry about wasting an early pick on defense. With the Swiss-cheese-style O-Lines you're going to see this year, any defensive pick will be a steal. Even if it's your last one". - Adam Shifter

"With the kind of protection these quarterbacks are likely to have this season, it would be fitting for them all to play in Yellowknife -- it's going to be a burial ground out there every week". - Stephen Ass Smith

With the preseason now in the books, just how true were these NSFL pundits' predictions? Here, we take a look at the performance of every offensive lineman in their first four games in a pro team:

[Image: 5KJbUn5.png]

Note: adjusted sack total is calculated using the following formula:

Total sacks - (Pancakes/4) + (Total penalty yards/10)

So 4 pancakes makes up for a sack, and conceding 10 penalty yards counts as a sack.

What's interesting to note is the 6 of the 17 drafted offensive lineman in the league didn't allow a single sack through the entire preseason. That's nearly a third of all the O-Line talent!

To be fair, there are some clear standouts who are holding up the rest of the guys. D'Brickashaw Ferguson was an absolute beast in the preseason and simply bullied opposing players; Ben Longshaw lived up to his expectations as the first offensive lineman off the board in the draft... for now; and despite a couple of minor lapses early on, Alex Thomas consistently made defensive linemen look foolish as he trampled over the top of them.

On the opposite end of the spectrum are some performances that are sure to have GM's - and quarterbacks - understandably concerned. While the offensive line talent in the NSFL's inagural draft was shallow to say the least, there's no doubt that GM's were hoping the guys they did pick would put up more of a fight.

While preseason performances are far from conclusive, as a collective unit the offensive line talent in the NSFL have made a statement that they're not to be taken lightly. In fact, if the regulations or outright ban on supplements that DT's have been using to date is enforced by commissioner @Ballerstorm, we may see the gap between each side of the trench close entirely, to the point where the offensive line become the most valuable piece for a championship-winning team.

Code:
408 words - TPE task (do not grade)

Eye on the O-Line - NUCK - 06-11-2017

Ohh is that YKW O-line ever sexy!

Eye on the O-Line - White Cornerback - 06-11-2017

Very good man! Shit we've got some very capable writers here!

Eye on the O-Line - Jogn - 06-11-2017

Awesome work as always man. Is a sack being roughly 10 yards a piece of conventional wisdom? I was going through the play by plays and it looks like most were worth ~7-8, but that might be small sample size, and I can imagine that being bumped by one or two 15 yard ones (I only started watching football this year, so my knowledge is a little lacking)

Ps. I have Boyd at 17 Pancakes (1, 7, 6, 3) and 45 penalty yards (15, 15, 0, 15). Hand counting sucks.

Eye on the O-Line - Anti-Hype - 06-11-2017

Killer write up! A lot of these big guys are killing it!

Eye on the O-Line - timeconsumer - 06-11-2017

(06-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Jogn Wrote:Awesome work as always man. Is a sack being roughly 10 yards a piece of conventional wisdom? I was going through the play by plays and it looks like most were worth ~7-8, but that might be small sample size, and I can imagine that being bumped by one or two 15 yard ones (I only started watching football this year, so my knowledge is a little lacking)

Ps. I have Boyd at 17 Pancakes (1, 7, 6, 3) and 45 penalty yards (15, 15, 0, 15). Hand counting sucks.

A sack isn't just about yards but also about loss of a down (a false start penalty of 5 yards doesn't include a loss of down). Also your QB takes a risk of a fumble or injury on a sack. 10 yards is an appropriate number.

Eye on the O-Line - dropbear - 06-11-2017

(06-12-2017, 03:39 AM)Jogn Wrote:Awesome work as always man. Is a sack being roughly 10 yards a piece of conventional wisdom? I was going through the play by plays and it looks like most were worth ~7-8, but that might be small sample size, and I can imagine that being bumped by one or two 15 yard ones (I only started watching football this year, so my knowledge is a little lacking)

Updated Big Grin I shouldn't have been counting numbers so late into the night. Thanks for picking up on that!

Eye on the O-Line - JBLAZE_THE_BOSS - 06-14-2017

Media Frenzy task no grade needed