International Simulation Football League
GFX pay adjustment - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: GFX pay adjustment (/showthread.php?tid=1176)

Pages: 1 2 3

GFX pay adjustment - NUCK - 06-11-2017

Let's here some ideas.

Community vote on each sig, it would be confidential and everyone would have a say.
But there's lots of problems with that such as popularity, inexperienced gfx voters, one bad vote and no other votes to raise it's grade.

Automatic grade system. Everyone gets 5.

How much for a sig?

Takes me 40 - 140 minutes average a sig, my work is shit in comparison to lots of people. Is my time and effort worthless?

PerformancePoint bonuses per week?

Do 4 sig's get a bonus 500k, 1mil?

300k per sig made for someone else and tagged?

Talk to me, what is the correct way to grade and what is the correct price to be handed out?

If GFX graders were given 3 tpe at the end of grading and ENTIRE season, would you grade? Do you think that would be fair?

Keep in mind GFX graders typically has the highest turnover in employees and often can be neglected for months if there are not dedicated graders.

GFX pay adjustment - Evans - 06-11-2017

Auto 5s. Graders are then given the ability to bring someone's work to the higher ups if they think they deserve less than a 5. BoD votes and hands down what they get. Show consistency on this and only use it when it is needed (paint sigs come to mind). Graders still offer advice on sigs they feel can be improved.

Or make Media follow actual grading too. GFX are subjective but so are articles. Don't care which route, just don't see why both don't follow the same guidelines on that.

(06-11-2017, 04:40 PM)Evans Wrote:Auto 5s. Graders are then given the ability to bring someone's work to the higher ups if they think they deserve less than a 5. BoD votes and hands down what they get. Show consistency on this and only use it when it is needed (paint sigs come to mind). Graders still offer advice on sigs they feel can be improved.

Or make Media follow actual grading too. GFX are subjective but so are articles. Don't care which route, just don't see why both don't follow the same guidelines on that.

I agree that both should be on the same sort of scale, but what is that scale?

I like your thoughts but lets get some more fed back, enough people seem displeased, so lets fix the system so its the best we can get. We have the chance to revolutionize the way we grade sites wide. Lets not squander it but just reverting to what works.

Thats not all directed at you btw.

GFX pay adjustment - enigmatic - 06-11-2017

I really think effort should be taken out of the equation.

Either grade on quality or give 5's to everybody, except in very rare cases, like "paint sigs".

Also not a fan of the voting committee. They're sigs for a football sim league, not a fine arts competition.

(06-11-2017, 06:43 PM)enigmatic Wrote:I really think effort should be taken out of the equation.

Either grade on quality or give 5's to everybody, except in very rare cases, like "paint sigs".

Also not a fan of the voting committee. They're sigs for a football sim league, not a fine arts competition.
If you say quality over effort, you give no reason for people to try and learn. If its not good, its not worth much. So why waste my time if I get no money for my weeks/months/years of effort?

GFX pay adjustment - Kendrick - 06-12-2017

(06-11-2017, 08:50 PM)NUCK Wrote:If you say quality over effort, you give no reason for people to try and learn. If its not good, its not worth much. So why waste my time if I get no money for my weeks/months/years of effort?
I think the reason that thought comes across is because we aren't hear to "learn" were here to submit and have fun with our player. Activity goes up if people know their graphics will actually give them a chunk of cash. You want to encourage submissions, not decrease them. You can give feedback still even if they get auto 5's, like the VHL does.

GFX pay adjustment - NUCK - 06-12-2017

(06-11-2017, 09:13 PM)Kendrick Wrote:I think the reason that thought comes across is because we aren't hear to "learn" were here to submit and have fun with our player. Activity goes up if people know their graphics will actually give them a chunk of cash. You want to encourage submissions, not decrease them. You can give feedback still even if they get auto 5's, like the VHL does.
My only real concern with auto 5's, is that you see the quality of work decrease.

I mean there is no perfect system, or not that I can think of. The old VHL format was really close. But fundamental flaud as again, it's dependant on, the quality and settings of the screen ones veiwing it on, the mood of the grader, graders sobriety level, personal opinion, personal likes and dislikes, personal feelings.

We can't just word count GFX and hand out cash. We also can't acuretly rate a users effort level and/or punish those who try hard but will just never be as talented as others. Nor should we disregard the effort put in on any program. @Esa77

But this is fun, very fucking serious fun! Should people really judged at all, beyond there own judgement of there work?

I honestly have no answer and no matter what someone will be unhappy.

:old:

PS I hate grading paint, it's to arbitrary.

GFX pay adjustment - enigmatic - 06-12-2017

(06-11-2017, 10:50 PM)NUCK Wrote:If you say quality over effort, you give no reason for people to try and learn. If its not good, its not worth much. So why waste my time if I get no money for my weeks/months/years of effort?
So what, we're going to use a timer to judge the amount of time everybody spends on their sigs? Why should I be paid less because I learnt how to use Photoshop before I joined the league and it takes me less effort to do something?

If you refuse to get better because you won't get paid as much, it's your problem.

GFX pay adjustment - 37thchamber - 06-12-2017

(06-12-2017, 07:55 AM)NUCK Wrote:My only real concern with auto 5's, is that you see the quality of work decrease.
Is that necessarily true? I get the logic behind the argument, but the quality of media isn't low even though there is no "quality" measurement there. Also, couldn't you just as easily argue the other way? That people who aren't good with graphics are less likely to submit if they don't think their work is good enough?

Looks to me like the problem here is that you can't really grade effort (and it would be unfair anyway) and quality is always going to be subjective.

With that in mind, how about this...
  • Assign a flat rate to all GFX submissions
  • Set some kind of clear standard, or a technical check for a submission to qualify for the flat rate in order to deter/penalise really low effort/paint sigs (I won't pretend I know enough about graphics to suggest an actual "technical qualifier" -- but for media articles, I can't just submit any random shit to get paid, for example)
  • Award a "premium" for work that is particularly good, or meets a need (like how requested articles get a bonus, for example)
Now as an example, maybe you say all GFX submissions get 500k as a base. then -300k for submissions that fail the "standard/technical check", +300k for needed GFX, +300k for "premium quality" GFX or something like that.

That way, people who are better at graphics don't feel like they're being short-changed, while people who aren't as good still have motivation to submit stuff and improve, and/or contribute to the growth of the site.

GFX pay adjustment - NUCK - 06-12-2017

@37thchamber the sad fact is it does in fact end in lower quality work when it's an auto grade.

I do like your ideas of bonuses?. I think it may be the correct path to take if we don't come up with something better.

Thanks for the input.