International Simulation Football League
*A Sit Down With Norfolk Seawolves New GM iamslm22 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Sit Down With Norfolk Seawolves New GM iamslm22 (/showthread.php?tid=12420)

*A Sit Down With Norfolk Seawolves New GM iamslm22 - YoungTB - 03-08-2019

After numerous struggling seasons, the Norfolk Seawolves have fired their previous GM and have done a major overhaul of their front office. They wanted to bring in a high profile GM that can put this team on the right track, and with the hire of Iam Essellemm (@iamslm22), former Baltimore Hawks GM, they got exactly that. With a championship pedigree, Essellemm looks to make big moves in the DSFL this year after years of dominating at the pro level. He joins us today to discuss his plans as head of the Seawolves, the differences between the DSFL and the NSFL, and what he hopes to bring to the table in Norfolk.

Hello Mr. Essellemm, how are you doing?

I'm doing very well thank you. It's been a very interesting time. With the transition in Baltimore, and my promotion there to then moving on to take over the Norfolk Seawolves. Really there has been a lot going on.

Absolutely, busy times for you right now. Thank you for sitting down with us!

No problem, very happy to do it.

So, let's start off with addressing the team. Norfolk went a league worst 3-11 this year. Norfolk has not been able to put a winning team on the table for their entire tenure in the DSFL. Looking at the team directly, what problem sticks out most to you and how will you address it?

Given the nature of the team, it's a complete personnel overhaul. We have to make wholesale changes in all phases of the game. When I'm thinking of how to build a great DSFL team I think back to when I helped helm the Marshals as my first GMing job. We had a big weakness at the quarterback position, but we built our team through power running. Have multiple backs who could carry the load was huge for us. So I think getting a solid ground game, and a reliable responsible quarterback is the best way to build the offense. On the defensive side of the ball we need help everywhere. We have already honed in on who we're taking with the first pick and grabbing a guy like Allen Josh to be the center of your defense, a perfect linebacker is amazing. We now need some big help up front on the DL and some guys in the secondary. Luckily this is a very strong draft.

You mentioned Allen Josh as a prospect you like, but are there any other prospects that have caught your eye? This is a very deep draft after all.

Yes. Dorfus Jimbo is a running back who is incredibly talented. He has the rare combination of speed, agility and hands that make him super talented. I see him being a bell cow for us. As Tight End you look and see a guy like Chase Jensen. Jensen is going to be a monster. I see in him a lot of what I saw in Verso L'Alto. A talented tight end who can really impact your team in both the run game by his blocking, and the pass game through being the perfect safety valve. Looking Then on the defensive side of the ball there are a couple prospects who really jump out. Ricardo Morris is the most talented Defensive Tackle Prospect I've come across in a long while. Morris is the kind of guy who will only spend one season in the DSFL because he plays such an important position, and he is incredibly pro ready. He's so big and strong that I would be shocked if he lasted past the first round.

So it sounds like Norfolk has been hard at work scouting prospects for this year's draft. Take us through the scouting process. When scouting, what are you looking for from prospects? How can you tell that a certain prospect is really something special?

The biggest thing I look at, and always have in the DSFL, is work ethic. I don't care about a prospects build, or their archetype, or any of that. I want someone who's going to be active, and is willing to be a team player. If someone has a weak build, it's easily fixable. If someone doesn't work that hard, or care about being good, then I don't want to take them. I want someone who's going to be excited to join the SeaWolves and excited to be in the NSFL some day.

Good to know. So coming off of your NSFL run with the Hawks in which you amassed many winning seasons and an Ultimus win, what made you step down from your position and come to Norfolk?

The biggest reason I stepped down was the amount of time it took in the NSFL. The high quality of the General Managers in the NSFL, especially in some of the teams, is exhausting to compete against. A lot of late nights in the film room preparing from game to game. In the DSFL its not as much about the game to game performance, as it is the seasonal arc of the team. That's really what does it. If your guys are improving and getting better and stuff, you're going be in a great position.

Good to know. Tell us about your co-GM hire Sam the Man. What made him stand out to you compared to the rest of the candidates, and what will you be expecting of him moving forward?

Sam The Man is a great guy. His scouting work so far has been impeccable, and he's an incredibly hard worker. When looking for a co-GM I wanted someone who was new to the league, who I really thought could be an incredible contributor. Sam was the guy who I look at, and I just completely see as an immense talent. I really just wanted someone who was going to be great to collaborate with, and I think Sam will be the guy for me to do that with.

Thanks for talking with us, Iam. We'll be looking forward to the season!

No problem! This was great. Lets go Seawolves!

[1022 words]

*A Sit Down With Norfolk Seawolves New GM iamslm22 - iamslm22 - 03-08-2019

Thanks for doing this YTB! It was fun to talk about this stacked draft class