International Simulation Football League
*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 (/showthread.php?tid=13017)

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - Fordhammer - 04-15-2019

(Ready to be graded)

Over the next couple of weeks, I’m going to be doing some analysis of the S14 DSFL Draft. I’ll try to analyze how the picks are working out, both on the DSFL field, as well as user activity, future potential, etc. Obviously, a lot of this can change over the next few weeks, as users might return or drop off, but I’ll try to analyze how things look at the time of each article.

In S14, the DSFL received a huge influx of players, in large part due to a historic Reddit recruitment class. The Prospect Bowl gave the rookies a taste of what the sim would be like, and the Rookie Discord channel was buzzing with activity. GMs were, I assume, frantically trying to figure out which rookies would be able to make an impact on the field immediately, as well as trying to sort the players that were in it for the long haul and those who would burn out quickly. I’m quite certain I would be much worse at this than any of the DSFL GMs, so I’m going to write this with the disclaimer that I know it’s obviously much easier to analyze these picks after the draft.
Without further ado, let’s get into the first round of the draft.

Round 1:
Pick 1: NOR Allen Josh – LB – @NamelessNate
The Seawolves selected Allen Josh #1 overall in the draft. Having been an active user for several months and playing one of the most important positions in the league, this seemed like a lock to be a solid selection, with the chance of him being selected high in the NSFL draft as well. Josh has had an excellent season in the DSFL. His head start in TPE gave him an advantage over most players, especially his 85 speed. He’s totaled almost 100 tackles, 7 sacks, and he has also been instrumental for the Seawolves in defending against the pass.
Unfortunately, Allen Josh appears to be inactive since a few weeks ago. He’s sitting at 158 TPE, with his last update coming in on March 23. His effectiveness has waned slightly over the past couple weeks, as he’s no longer gaining TPE with the rest of the league. While not exactly a DSFL bust, given his excellent production this year, it’s safe to say his NSFL draft stock has plummeted the past few weeks. As of now, it seems like he could be back in the DSFL for another year of terrorizing rookie QBs.

Pick 2: PB Rock Hardshaft – LB – @Rouchicus
Palm Beach also went with a linebacker for their first pick of the draft. They expected him to anchor their expansion team defense, and he has done just that. His stats aren’t quite as flashy as Allen’s, which could be due to his more balanced build, with not quite as much speed as some of the other LBs. This is also partly due to being part of the infamous Palm Beach Penetration trio of Hardshaft, Gabagool, and Nikko. Despite this, he has still put up excellent numbers with 96 tackles, including 4 sacks. His 80 strength has proven to be very helpful in shedding blocks, and he does not miss many tackles in the open field.
Rock has been active in the forums and Discord, as well as consistent updating throughout the season. Pam Beach took a bit of a risk drafting someone new to the sim so early, but it’s paid off so far. I’m sure NSFL teams are eyeing him as a fairly safe investment in LB in the upcoming draft, as his build will allow him to contribute long-term for a team that drafts him. Also, let’s be honest, his name and render is going to bump him up a few spots.

Pick 3: POR Emondov Emoji – CB – @BWIII
The Pythons selected a recreate in Emoji with their first pick. They went into the draft looking to upgrade their secondary, and Emoji was possibly the best DB on the board. One of the more active members of the sim, this was a bit of a no brainer. He’s blazing fast at 92 speed currently, with the Man to Man build. He’s currently third in pass deflections and has one interception on the season. I don’t have target data, but I am going to guess that teams are not throwing his way very much at all, hence the low INT total. He lines up opposite Xerxes Ridley, who has also impressed in his rookie year. Together they’ve made it difficult for opposing teams to move the ball through the air.
BWIII is extremely active in the league, including heading up the fantasy drafts. He’ll likely be a top TPE earner throughout his career, making Emondov an excellent pick. We can expect him to be taken very early in the NSFL draft, with the possibility of an expansion team looking for an anchor for their secondary.

Pick 4: SA Morgan Marshall – RB - @`EnfysNest`
Another newcomer taken with a 1st pick. Morgan Marshall has been lighting the league on fire since he was drafted. He currently leads the league in rushing attempts and yards at 263 carries for 1282 yards. He’s averaging just under 5 yards per carry, and he’s been a bellcow for the Marshals with 11 touchdowns as well. The Marshals are sitting pretty at 11-1 as favorites to win the Ultimini. A large part of their success can be attributed to Marshall being a steady workhorse for them. He went with the Receiving Back build, and he’s also pulled in an impressive 34 catches for almost 300 yards and 5 touchdowns. He’s been pouring a lot of TPE into speed, and he’s nearly at 85 giving him an advantage over almost all of the defenders in the league, which he showed off for an 81 yard touchdown run earlier in the season.
EnfyNest (love the username) has been an active member since day 1. He’s already eclipsed the 200 TPE mark, and he’s getting every bit of TPE he can. His “The Nest” articles have provided some great insight into the Marshal season, and he’s active in commenting on other media, and engaging in the discussion as well. I’d expect him to go pretty early in the draft, depending on the RB needs of the teams. At this point, you could line him up in the slot if you already have an RB, or he could be your workhorse RB for years to come.

Pick 5: KCC Farley Hank – RB – @Beebob
The second running back off the board was Farley Hank. The Coyotes would go on to draft four running backs total in this draft. Hank has disappointed in his DSFL debut season. He has only carried the ball 38 times for 232 yards and 1 touchdown. There are a few reasons contributing to this. One, he has been somewhat upstaged by Terry Taffy, who has played very well this season, and has taken the bulk of carries on the Coyotes. At the beginning of the season, the carries were mostly split between the two, but some inconsistent updating has left Hank a little behind in TPE with the rest of the running backs in this class, and Taffy has just done more when given the opportunity. He seems to be back on track lately but has a some ground to make up.
This is the first real “miss” in the draft, as the production could have probably been replaced down the draft with the Taffy selection. Farley does have decent hands for a RB, so they might have been better served using him on routes out of the backfield more. Hank might be best served playing in the DSFL another season, to get closer to the 250 TPE cap, but I could see an NSFL team grabbing him in the mid to late rounds as a RB with some upside.

Pick 6: TIJ Edmond Beaver-Dantes – OL – @Beaver
Tijuana decided to grab two offensive linemen with their first two picks, and the first is Beaver-Dantes. Offensive lineman production is a little hard to quantify given all of the variables involved, but Edmond sits at the middle of the pack in pancake blocks and sacks allowed. He’s got 28 pancake blocks and 2 sacks allowed. Tijuana has clinched a playoff berth, and the running game has been fairly efficient, though they have second least amount of attempts in the league, ahead of only the Coyotes (which is more of a game script issue for them). Corvo Havran has had a nice season, and he can owe some of his success to the o-line. I don’t think an offensive lineman in the first round would have been my choice, but I’m not really familiar enough with the sim to know the difference in impact between a user character and bot in their first year.
Beaver has been around the league for a long time, and I’m sure will continue to earn TPE steadily. He’ll be one of the safer OL picks in the NSFL draft, though it’s hard to tell what the market will be for offensive linemen.

I’ll have an article up for the second round later this week and will probably start combining rounds in future articles. Hope you enjoyed! I’m looking forward to some of the later rounds when we have some studs that fell deep into the draft, and some pretty bad reaches on players.

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - Baron1898 - 04-15-2019

Awesome article! Thanks for the kind words!

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - Rradum - 04-15-2019

Good article! Looking forward to more!

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - terriblehippo - 04-15-2019

This is awesome! It's clear that you put a lot of work into article, and it really shows. Please keep up the good work, looking forward to reading about the later rounds of the draft!

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 1 - Rising Equinox - 04-15-2019

A lot of work put into this. Very nice write-up! I'm looking forward to round 5! lol