International Simulation Football League
*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=13037)

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - Fordhammer - 04-18-2019

(Ready to be graded)

We’re back with more analysis of the DSFL draft. If you missed it, you can read the deep-dive on Round 1 here. Round 2 has some picks that are GMs of the team, so those will have to be evaluated a little differently, but I’ll try to still look at some on-field performance to see if it has worked out as a pick independent of them having to be drafted at that spot. As before, please feel free to let me know if you think I’ve got something wrong, as I’m just figuring out how things work around here.
Here we go!

Round 2:
Pick 1: NOR Dorfus Jimbo – RB – @ScorpXCracker
Norfolk selected their GM in this round, but Jimbo would have probably gone this high regardless. Dorfus been an extremely efficient runner this year. He’s averaging almost 5.5 yards per carry, with totals of 1027 yards and 7 TDs, to go along with a dozen catches and another couple of touchdowns receiving. While the volume is not quite as impressive as some of the other RBs in this class, it’s understandable given the almost 50-50 split of carries with his teammate Apollo Reed. The Seawolves have slipped a bit in the last several weeks, but the expansion team is playoff bound thanks in large part to their running game. I imagine Dorfus will have a key role as they try to pull of an upset in the first round of the playoffs.
Dorfus is sitting at 159 TPE after his last update, which is a tad lower than some of the other top earners from this class, but as the GM of a DSFL team, it seems he’s around for the long-term. He’s put almost all of his TPE into speed, which has him at 87 currently. It’s allowed him to pull off some long runs against the slower DSFL players, but he’ll probably need to bring some other attributes up next year to be more effective in the more competitive and speedier NSFL. This draft class is loaded with RBs, so I’d expect him to go right after the 1A tier of running backs, or maybe a team that’s betting on the long-term potential vs. immediate impact.

Pick 2: PB Chase Jensen – TE – @dizzyDC
The Solar Bears also selected their GM (this will be a common theme this round). Jensen has been the team’s go-to receiving option this year, in addition to holding his own in run and pass block scenarios. He’s 4th overall in YPC, behind only a few WRs. He’s shown the ability to create separation from LBs trying to cover him, and his size presents matchup problems for a lot of safeties. He’s racked up 740 yards on 58 receptions, giving him a sizable lead against all other TEs. He’s only caught 1 touchdown, but that’s more of a product of the Solar Bears run-heavy scheme. It was not a great season for a variety of reasons for the Solar Bears, but Chase has been a nice safety blanket for first year QB Apollo Lange.
Having joined late last season, dizzyDC has been the at the top, or at least close, of TPE earners in this class. He’s nearing 250 TPE and will likely be banking some before the season is over. He went with the balanced TE build, making him a bit of a Swiss-Army knife for whichever team drafts him. I fully expect him to be the first TE off the board, with the deadly combo of a top-earner to go along with his investment in the league as a new GM.

Pick 3: POR Kermit Stronglegs – @TheChroniclesOfFrog
The first frog off the board of this year’s draft was Kermit Stronglegs. A somewhat curious pick in the second round, given the Pythons have a couple of veteran RBs on their team already. Perhaps they were looking to inject a little fresh blood at the position. I’ll admit the mental image of Kermit leapfrogging defensive lines is enticing. Kermit ran the ball just 84 times this year, putting him at third in carries on his team. He 4 touchdowns and 436 yards on the ground and did not contribute too much in the passing game. Portland has had a really nice season, but Kermit struggled to get into much of a rhythm with so many mouths to feed. All in all, one of the weaker picks in the draft when you take into account current year impact and potential, unfortunately.
Kermit is at 92 TPE as of this article. His updating regularity and TPE gains have been a little lacking, but there’s no time like the present to step things up as GMs start taking a closer look at prospects. He’s at 82 speed which will allow him to make some plays in the open field. I’m guessing we’ll see Kermit play another season in the DSFL to get some more TPE under his belt before transitioning to the NSFL. I project him to be a mid to late round pick for a team that can afford to wait.

Pick 4: SA Nero Alexander – DE – @shadyshoelace
The Marshals found another stud in the second round. Nero Alexander came in and made an immediate impact for the Marshals’ defense. He’s currently 4th in TFL with 12, and has added 8 sacks which ties for second in the league. He also leads all defensive ends in tackles with 37, which might seem a bit low, but his impact cannot be understated as he opens things up for the rest of the defense by drawing many double teams. His balanced build of 80 strength and speed has given a lot of offensive tackles fits and he can either power through you are go around you with his quickness. The Marshals are the heavy favorites to win the Ultimini, and Nero has contributed heavily in both the passing and rushing defense for them.
Shady’s already over the 200 TPE mark as of his last update, and continues to earn at a fast rate. He’s been active on the forums, including some nice articles on the DSFL award race, and some great alternate sigs for the draft class. I predict Nero to be drafted in the first two rounds of the draft. He’ll be a nice addition to a team in need of a pass rusher and someone who can set the edge in the rushing game as well.

Pick 5: KCC Cameron Olsen – TE – @Rradum
The Kansas City Coyotes grabbed the 2nd tight end in the draft. Olsen has been a high-volume short yardage receiver for the Coyotes. He’s 4th in the league in receptions, but has one of the lower YPC in the league. This seems to be more of a product of the KC offense than his skill as a player. KC has had a lot of inconsistency at QB this year, but Olsen has been a steady producer who has helped them move the chains. He’s got 3 TDs and done well in the blocking game for a tight end who has been running routes most of the season. This was a pretty safe pick for the Coyotes, who needed a consistent receiving option for Jenkins and Leaf Jr.
Rradum has been as consistent as they come. He’s nearing 200 TPE on the season, and we’ll likely see him focus on getting his speed and hands up in the offseason. I see him going pretty high in the draft in the draft, as he’s shown a commitment to the league by already being promoted to GM for the Coyotes, and has the size and skill to be a TE1 for a team some day, if not right away.

Pick 6: TIJ Brave Ulysses – OL – @PaytonM34
Back to back OL picks for the Luchadores, as they take their GM here. He’s had an outstanding year in the league. He’s racked up 50 pancake blocks, and only given up 1 sack. At 6’7” and 340 lbs, you are probably better off getting out of his way if he is coming your way. Gump is about to break the single-season TD record, and you have to imagine the first person he’ll give credit to is Ulysses. The Luchadores often run right behind him, and it’s paid dividends this season.
His TPE at 169 is not going to blow anyone away, but I would think he’ll be the first lineman off the board in the draft. As a long-time member of the league, in addition to the bump of being a DSFL GM. He’s got the athletic lineman build, so he’ll be able to get downfield in rushing plays and get to the next level of defenders. I feel bad for the poor safety that must meet him when he’s running downhill.

That’ll do it for round 2 of the draft. This was a really talented group, who I think will be long-time producers in the NSFL for seasons to come, as well as leading their DSFL teams to future success. Round 3 will be up next week, which includes some absolute studs in addition to the infamous Ryan Leaf Jr.

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - terriblehippo - 04-18-2019

Quote:Round 3 will be up next week, which includes some absolute studs in addition to the infamous Ryan Leaf Jr.

Shots fucking fired

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - dizzyDC - 04-18-2019

(04-18-2019, 02:04 PM)Fordhammer Wrote:Pick 2: PB Chase Jensen – TE – @dizzyDC
The Solar Bears also selected their GM (this will be a common theme this round). Jensen has been the team’s go-to receiving option this year, in addition to holding his own in run and pass block scenarios. He’s 4th overall in YPC, behind only a few WRs. He’s shown the ability to create separation from LBs trying to cover him, and his size presents matchup problems for a lot of safeties. He’s racked up 740 yards on 58 receptions, giving him a sizable lead against all other TEs. He’s only caught 1 touchdown, but that’s more of a product of the Solar Bears run-heavy scheme. It was not a great season for a variety of reasons for the Solar Bears, but Chase has been a nice safety blanket for first year QB Apollo Lange.
Having joined late last season, dizzyDC has been the at the top, or at least close, of TPE earners in this class. He’s nearing 250 TPE and will likely be banking some before the season is over. He went with the balanced TE build, making him a bit of a Swiss-Army knife for whichever team drafts him. I fully expect him to be the first TE off the board, with the deadly combo of a top-earner to go along with his investment in the league as a new GM.
Wow thank you for the kind words, friend.

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - Rradum - 04-18-2019

Hey, thanks for the kind words! Excited to see the rest of your work.

*S14 DSFL Draft Deep-Dive Part 2 - SwagSloth - 04-18-2019

If @Fordhammer does all 18 (or 19) rounds, he's going to be rolling in $$$.