International Simulation Football League
*The Real Problem with the DSFL - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The Real Problem with the DSFL (/showthread.php?tid=13085)

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - plantane - 04-24-2019

Tomorrow night is the biggest game of my career. The biggest game of my entire life. I’ve dreamed of this moment for years and I’ve worked hard to ensure that it would be a reality. I should be feeling excited, fulfilled, and maybe even a bit nervous. But…I actually feel quite hollow. I can’t even sleep because my mind is spiraling questioning everything about tomorrow. Every single person in the Python organization (and the Luchador organization for that matter) worked hard to get the team here. This is what all of the late nights and hard hits on the field were for.

I can’t help it; this isn’t enough for me. The DSFL is an incredible place to play and serves as a key transition for players to develop before entering the NSFL. However, being a developmental league is a double-edged sword in my opinion. Whether we win or lose tomorrow, the sense of accomplishment and domination over the league will be fleeting for me. I am confident that we can pull the victory out, but make no mistake, I am not looking past Tijuana. They are a tough group and they were the only team able to beat the Marshals at home this year (something that even the Pythons weren’t able to do).

However, regardless of the outcome, the winners of the Ultimini will only be the best developmental team. The best team in the DSFL wouldn’t even be able to hold a candle to the worst team in the NSFL. Going down in history as the champions of the entire developmental league would be a dream greater than I can even imagine, but that doesn’t change the fact that in a couple of years, few people will look back at this moment in my career. Win or lose, what matters is what happens after this game; I need to make my mark in the NSFL and win the great championship that everyone works towards: the Ultimus.

I will do everything in my power to assure that the Pythons come out tomorrow with the W and close an incredible season of unity and camaraderie the right way: a win at the Ultimini. However, right after the game, the team is going to be pillaged by the NSFL draft and the teammates that I have grown to love will quickly become rivals who I can’t show any weakness to. That’s how sports work, I get it. But the impermanence of the DSFL is starting to weigh on me.

Even the process by which teams were chosen for the playoffs was kind of a joke. Since there are only 6 teams in the league, only the bottom two can get eliminated from contention. Clinching playoff berths became a relatively quick endeavor during the season, especially for the Marshals, which left no drama or incentive for them to play their best by the end of it. Honestly, them getting used to that complacency could’ve been a factor in the great upset that occurred in the Conference Championship. But can you blame them?

The Marshals had almost no stakes for the entire end of the season, as they had already clinched home field advantage for the SFC championship. I’m not saying that I have a better idea for the way the league should be run, but when more teams make the playoffs than don’t, I would call some things into question. Is it more prestigious to not even get to the playoffs?

Of course not; it’s late and my thoughts are wandering a bit, but my main point remains. The outcome of the Ultimini tomorrow will not change anything for me. I still have a chip on my shoulder from being a fourth round pick in the DSFL draft and I’m still out to win the Ultimus at any cost. One small success does not justify complacency and unfortunately, a win at the Ultimini is only a small success to me.

I am nothing but grateful to the entire Python organization for all that they did for me and taught me, but I have a strong feeling that I will not be back next year. I will take the lessons I have learned from the wonderful people in Portland with me for the rest of my career. In my heart I know I could not be the player I am today without the support from the Pythons, especially my outstanding teammates. We can save the emotions for tomorrow after the game, but just know that I will never forget you, Snake Pit. Hopefully, after we win the Ultimini, I can show the entire NSFL that it is a title far more important than the developmental moniker would lead them to believe.

X

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - nunccoepi - 04-24-2019

always love your articles man

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - SwagSloth - 04-24-2019

Soon.

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - Fordhammer - 04-24-2019

These are always great. Looking forward to battling it out with you in the NSFL.

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - PaytonM34 - 04-24-2019

Out of character response to this article:

Honestly, in my 10ish or so seasons being a part of this league, I often find the DSFL to be more interesting, mostly due to the passion of the new players, and the whole uncertainty of who will pan out to be a great player, and who will stick at 70tpe for the entire season. Before the expansion there was little competition from the bot teams so the regular season wasn't as intense, but this season it was amazing, actually having competitive teams to fill the division, as a GM it was the first time I actually cared about our regular season record because there was a chance of PB getting into the playoffs. I mean Norfolk actually bumped out KCC in their division

I don't want to discourage anyone from moving on to the nsfl, but to me there's kindve something special about the dsfl that makes it way more interesting and involved. No matter the outcome of tonight this was probably my most enjoyable season in my 10 seasons in the league

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - nunccoepi - 04-24-2019

(04-24-2019, 05:01 PM)PaytonM34 Wrote:No matter the outcome of tonight this was probably my most enjoyable season in my 10 seasons in the league

Don't listen to him. it was because he got traded to the Hawks

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - PaytonM34 - 04-24-2019

(04-24-2019, 04:07 PM)nunccoepi Wrote:Don't listen to him. it was because he got traded to the Hawks

:O

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - ValorX77 - 04-24-2019

Y’all just won Ultimini

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - 124715 - 04-24-2019

POR no matter where we get drafted, regardless of whether we get sent down, I'll always remember you as my Pythons teammate and secondary member. This season has been such a blast! POR

*The Real Problem with the DSFL - plantane - 04-24-2019

@124715 Right back at you, man; this has been an amazing season and regardless of where we end up, I'll always have a tremendous amount of respect for you. I can honestly say that I would not be the player I am today without you.