International Simulation Football League
*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" (/showthread.php?tid=13233)

Pages: 1 2

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - BigKicks - 05-01-2019

First off, thank you to those who voted me as the S14 DSFL Kicker of the Year. The voting was close between Lawes and I, coming out at 4-3 in my favor (and 1 vote for Harris Jr.). Just like in the DSFL draft, talks about my absurdly long last name came about, specifically on it's pronounciation. While it was definitely warranted in the draft, I feel that this time around it was too big of a topic which inhibited any other talk to be had on the performance of the kickers nominated. In fact, my achievements this season were quickly mentioned at the very end before the awards moved on. No mention about the other kickers and how they were able to hold a candle in this voting? Lawes made more field goals than I did this season, and missed two like I did. He attempted one more XP than me but missed, which is probably what decided the vote. Harris Jr. probably didn't even belong in this vote. Don't get me wrong, a 54 yard long is nothing to look over. In fact, he was the only kicker in the DSFL to make a 50+ yarder (he made 2!). But 9 less XP's and 4 missed field goals should've been a sign that he just didn't belong this year. I blame Tijuana bias. It should also be noted that I didn't attempt any kick between the 20-29. All but 2 FG's came from 30+. None of this was mentioned because of the discussion of my last name.

So today, I've decided to try and put this to rest by telling you all how to pronounce it.

Let's start with the name itself. The name is a German sentence combined into one long word. Das ist wirklich sein nachname. That translates to "This is really his last name". One of the commentators tried to say that the first 'a' in 'nachname' should be an 'e'. They are incorrect. Nachname means 'Surname' or 'last name' in English. Now, let's actually say it. I'll show the phonetic pronounciation for each part in the name.

Dahs - As in the second part of Häagen-Dazs
Ist - Said exactly as spelled
Vur - W's in German are typically pronounced as the English 'V'
Kleekh - This part is pretty tough to the non-German speaker. It's much easier to say it as shown here.
Sen - SENd, SENator, the river Seine
Nackh - Tough to show phonetically. The ckh is pronounced like you're clearing your throat or something.
Nahmuh - First part comparable to vietNAM (depending on dialect) with an -uh tacked to the end.

Hopefully this puts to rest at least a big portion of the name conversation. If you still have trouble saying it, Google Translate pronounces it near-perfectly.

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - moonlight - 05-01-2019

Great season man and great article!

????????????

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - timeconsumer - 05-01-2019

@Sweetwater

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - Sweetwater - 05-01-2019

I was thinking it was "seine nachname" for some reason ???????

But I refuse to say the ch in wirklich as a hard K sound. Just as I refuse to pronounce "Ich" as "Eek".

Also "sein" is pronounced like the the second syllable of "deSIGN" with the S sounding almost like a Z and a hard I before the soft N.

At the end of the day, I came in with 0 prep, chugged 4 beers, and made words come out of my mouth. If that's not the quality content you come to the site for then I don't even know why anyone bothers.

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - BigKicks - 05-02-2019

(05-01-2019, 10:28 PM)Sweetwater Wrote:I was thinking it was "seine nachname" for some reason ???????

But I refuse to say the ch in wirklich as a hard K sound. Just as I refuse to pronounce "Ich" as "Eek".

Also "sein" is pronounced like the the second syllable of "deSIGN" with the S sounding almost like a Z and a hard I before the soft N.

At the end of the day, I came in with 0 prep, chugged 4 beers, and made words come out of my mouth. If that's not the quality content you come to the site for then I don't even know why anyone bothers.

You do you my man. I just felt that this needed to be said so that there would be no more issues. And you're right, sein is pronounced "zine" in German as a stand alone word. The words surrounding it, however, sort of cannibalize it, and in some accents it turns it into my aforementioned pronounciation. "Sen" and "zine" in this instance would both be correct.

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - JuOSu - 05-02-2019

Aber ist das wirklich sein Nachname? Ich weiß nicht, klingt eher wie ein erfundener Name.... Wink

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - AdamS - 05-02-2019

I'm just gonna call you Das and most likely so will others

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - timeconsumer - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 05:58 AM)BigKicks Wrote:You do you my man. I just felt that this needed to be said so that there would be no more issues. And you're right, sein is pronounced "zine" in German as a stand alone word. The words surrounding it, however, sort of cannibalize it, and in some accents it turns it into my aforementioned pronounciation. "Sen" and "zine" in this instance would both be correct.

Your name will be a topic of conversation in probably every draft and awards show from now until retirement. It's just one of those things.

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - BigKicks - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 09:20 AM)timeconsumer Wrote:Your name will be a topic of conversation in probably every draft and awards show from now until retirement. It's just one of those things.

tbh it's the reason I chose the name lol. I was probably a bit condescending when I wrote this last night looking back on it. I just wanted to teach people how to say it.

*How to pronounce "Dasistwirklichseinnachname" - Sweetwater - 05-02-2019

(05-02-2019, 05:20 AM)JuOSu Wrote:Aber ist das wirklich sein Nachname? Ich weiß nicht, klingt eher wie ein erfundener Name.... Wink

Kannst du nicht sehen? Er hat gesagt "mein nachname ist", würde er dich anlugen? Aber es ist ein bißen verrückt.

For real though, my German is so freaking rusty. I was at a point where I had started having occasional dreams in German like 5 years ago, and I just let it slip away from me.