International Simulation Football League
New Graphics Rubric - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: New Graphics Rubric (/showthread.php?tid=1331)

New Graphics Rubric - dave - 06-18-2017

There's a new sheriff in town... and his name is xdave.

That's right guys, If you don't know (why would you), I am going to be the new head GFX grader. As such, I have lovingly crafted a new and improved graphics rubric that I feel will satisfy all of your concerns about the old grading system while keeping the parts that worked (It's like having your cake and eating it too!).

Implementing this change will be a multi-step process, and the first step of this process is to show you guys the new GFX rules that I wrote up so that we can discuss it and suggest changes, which will prevent me from implementing a system that pisses everyone off. These rules will serve as a draft, that you can suggest changes to them before I officially implement it.

I do plan to officially implement these rules sometime tomorrow, so let's make the suggestion period speedy!

So, for your viewing pleasure, here are the new GFX rules (or as I like to call them, the ten commandments):

1) Graphics will be graded automatically, with each graphic receiving $562,500 dollars (4 GFX = $2,250,000 dollars)

2) You may submit up to 1-4 graphics each week. All must be your own. These submissions should be posted in the "Weekly Submissions" subforum

3) Graders will still comment occasionally on GFXs with critiques, we hope that the community continues to do this as well so that we can help each other to improve

4) A grader will compare one's weekly submissions to their previous submissions to confirm that consistent effort is displayed.

5) If one's GFX creating ability is still imperfect, they will be expected to show some improvement over time to maintain the privilege of automatically claiming payouts.

6) The first time that GFX are seen by graders as not showing consistent effort/below ability, one will be messaged saying that if more substandard work is submitted in consecutive weeks they will be penalized with a $50,000 dollar reduction to each GFX.

7) With every consecutive substandard weekly submission, fines will stack up until work is returned to its pre-fine level of quality

8) These warnings/fines will not be applied for minor technical imperfections on one or two GFX, instead only if a serious drop in overall work quality occurs that shows the automated system is being abused.

9) Along with the warning, those who are warned will be told why the work is seen as substandard, and will be given tips to improve the graphic. If one feels as if their work does show good quality relative to their previous efforts, they will be allowed to argue their point and explain why they should not receive a penalty in the future.

10) Continued abuses to the system or any special cases will be managed appropriately as they present themselves.

So, everyone like it? Let me go over some things that I enjoy about this system.

Automatic Grades: This had to be the single most requested change to GFX grading, the ability to automatically claim money. I designed the payout to try and give a decent amount of money that was about what people would typically earn pre-update.

Effort Based: I didn't want people to just start mailing it in, so I decided that penalties in the new grading system will result only if someone is not trying their best. For example, if someone who typically does great work starts submitting lower quality GFX or if a new creator doesn't show any progress for a few weeks, that might suggest that they are not really trying their best to create high quality content and are just trying to get the most out of the auto-claim system, which would result in penalties.

Informality: Along with the automatic grades, some people were less than pleased that their work was having points deducted for simple technical things, such as blur or shading. With this system, having those minor technical issues (that can be subjective anyway) won't lower the payout. Instead, as previously mentioned, only a large drop/stagnation in quality that suggests someone is taking advantage of the auto-claim™ system by not trying their best will result in penalties.

As well as the previous point, you will receive a warning before any fine, and you are able to talk with the grader about why or why not the warning/fine was deserved, so penalties aren't necessarily set in stone. This means that when a grader sees a lapse in quality and penalizes a submitter, you might be able to get that penalty reversed by explaining why your GFX was actually of good quality and up to snuff compared with your usual work

Lastly, the penalties start off small, as opposed to going from a 5->4 ($150,000), this system implements a stacking $50,000 fine if work is substandard. This is a much smaller penalty than before that will only get worse if someone continues to try and take advantage of the system, not for minor technical issues with a piece.

Review: Try as you may, you can't replace the graders completely. The graders will still play a role in graphics by reviewing work and simply suggesting changes to GFX. This will allow for people to still get insightful commentary without being penalized for what might be a minor issue with a GFX piece. I would also love if we as a community could give each other critiques as well, to promote improvement within the GFX community

Once the rubric is up and running, I plan to institute a requested graphics page that will allow creators to receive a bonus for creating requested content. Again though, one step at a time.

I wanted the communities input before I went and changed everything, so please, let me know what you think about the system and suggest changes! Thanks so much and I hope to see some dope graphics really soon!

New Graphics Rubric - Noble - 06-18-2017

1) Graphics will be graded automatically, with each graphic receiving $562,500 dollars (4 GFX = $2,250,000 dollars)

Seems like an oddly specific number but whatever.

Only thing I don't like about this system is there is no ability to go above and beyond. With media you can write 10,000 words and get more money, but if you make four killer graphics you still only earn a baseline amount.

Not up to me to decide though Smile

New Graphics Rubric - dave - 06-18-2017

(06-18-2017, 06:46 PM)Noble Wrote:1) Graphics will be graded automatically, with each graphic receiving $562,500 dollars (4 GFX = $2,250,000 dollars)

Only thing I don't like about this system is there is no ability to go above and beyond. With media you can write 10,000 words and get more money, but if you make four killer graphics you still only earn a baseline amount.

Yeah, the amount is oddly specific, I wanted a number that would give me about what four graphics seemed to normally be earning.

As for bonuses, I think this is a great idea, but I want to see how well the grading system works as a baseline before adding any other things.

New Graphics Rubric - Noble - 06-18-2017

(06-18-2017, 03:57 PM)xdave2456 Wrote:Yeah, the amount is oddly specific, I wanted a number that would give me about what four graphics seemed to normally be earning.

As for bonuses, I think this is a great idea, but I want to see how well the grading system works as a baseline before adding any other things.

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing this implemented and to have our GFX community be on board again!

New Graphics Rubric - NUCK - 06-19-2017

Voice your thoughts now, or this will be the new system like it or not.

@`xdave2456` good work and it looks promising, my only concern is this.

5) If one's GFX creating ability is still imperfect, they will be expected to show some improvement over time to maintain the privilege of automatically claiming payouts.

I have been at this for over 3 years and yes i came far, but as it was pointed out to me this earlier this week. My work is totally shit and not worth shit. So the way i read this is, because my work is shit, and its not getting any better then shit, wont that end up with me being penalized to the point where I get paid peanuts per shitty sig?

I mean i want to get better, I try to get better, I watch tut's and read and examine others work and PSD's in order to learn. But honestly I am not that artistic to start with and although I am proud of my progress its sub and shit compared to 701, Egmatic Kendrick, Wasty, Buboubi, Cope, Gorlab and so many more artist.

How does a situation like that play out under the new rules?

New Graphics Rubric - dave - 06-19-2017

(06-19-2017, 02:20 AM)NUCK Wrote:Voice your thoughts now, or this will be the new system like it or not.

@`xdave2456` good work and it looks promising, my only concern is this.

I have been at this for over 3 years and yes i came far, but as it was pointed out to me this earlier this week. My work is totally shit and not worth shit. So the way i read this is, because my work is shit, and its not getting any better then shit, wont that end up with me being penalized to the point where I get paid peanuts per shitty sig?

I mean i want to get better, I try to get better, I watch tut's and read and examine others work and PSD's in order to learn. But honestly I am not that artistic to start with and although I am proud of my progress its sub and shit compared to 701, Egmatic Kendrick, Wasty, Buboubi, Cope, Gorlab and so many more artist.

How does a situation like that play out under the new rules?

That's a good question. First off, obviously you are exaggerating some, your work is good quality. However, if someone doesn't post good quality images their low quality work will still be able to be claimed immediately for a few weeks. It is only if someone clearly shows no signs of improvement over several weeks that the question of whether they are taking advantage of the auto system by not bothering to try comes into play. This system is not meant to penalize people who lack skill.

In your post you mention making progress, that's all that I'm looking for. It doesn't matter if work is bad or progress is slow compared to someone else, as long as it is clear that progress is being made, one will be able to claim automatically.

In the event that someone is trying to get better but actually can't, the graders and hopefully members of the community will suggest tips and work with them to try and foster improvement. If someone ever thinks that they are being penalized unfairly, in this example for not showing improvement, by all means I hope they explain their situation to a grader and work with that grader to hopefully improve.

New Graphics Rubric - NUCK - 06-19-2017

(06-19-2017, 02:30 AM)xdave2456 Wrote:That's a good question. First off, obviously you are exaggerating some, your work is good quality. However, if someone doesn't post good quality images their low quality work will still be able to be claimed immediately for a few weeks. It is only if someone clearly shows no signs of improvement over several weeks that  the question of whether they are taking advantage of the auto system by not bothering to try comes into play. This system is not meant to penalize people who lack skill.

In your post you mention making progress, that's all that I'm looking for. It doesn't matter if work is bad or progress is slow compared to someone else, as long as it is clear that progress is being made, one will be able to claim automatically.

In the event that someone is trying to get better but actually can't, the graders and hopefully members of the community will suggest tips and work with them to try and foster improvement. If someone ever thinks that they are being penalized unfairly, in this example for not showing improvement, by all means I hope they explain their situation to a grader and work with that grader to hopefully improve.

Thats a really good answer and kinda what I assumed. Thanks for making it clear man!

New Graphics Rubric - CaptainCats - 06-19-2017

(06-18-2017, 05:46 PM)Noble Wrote:1) Graphics will be graded automatically, with each graphic receiving $562,500 dollars (4 GFX = $2,250,000 dollars)

Something that some people have mentioned is something similar to the requested articles but for graphics instead. This is also something we can look into.