International Simulation Football League
*Cameron Olsen, who is this guy? - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Cameron Olsen, who is this guy? (/showthread.php?tid=13543)

*Cameron Olsen, who is this guy? - Rradum - 05-18-2019

Code:
Ready to be graded

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Yesterday WSJTV did an interview with new San Jose Sabercats Tight End Cameron Olsen. [/div]

Interviewer: So how are you liking your teammates so far?

Olsen: My teammates are great! The other rookie tight end, Dan Wright, and I have connected already since we share common interests and we're both essentially big receivers. San Jose fans quickly gave our duo the nickname of "The Large Lads" that I wear proudly. The rest of the team is just so full of talent and wisdom that you soak up everything you learn from them. In my DSFL days watching TV, it was insane watching Oles sprint down the field after a catch and run from Christ, but to see it now in person, on the sideline? It's crazy, man, it's crazy.

I: How do you feel about being immediately put on the field and seeing action?

O: It's awesome! I didn't think things would go this fast, but I'm really happy with how quickly the coaches put me on the field. I'm also happy that Joliet Christ trusts me enough to throw the ball my way for important first down conversions. Hopefully I can keep an upward trend and build my stats.

I: Keeping up the topic of seeing action, how would you rate your performance so far this season?

O:
After joining a team with so much talent and history, you kind of feel the pressure of high expectations. Christ has began to trust me more and more to make 3rd down conversions, my blocking is getting better, and I'm starting to see an increase in targets, so it seems like I'm doing something right. I think my biggest weakness right now is just getting away from quick defenders to make those long plays, but speed and agility training will help that immensely.

I: I saw the news earlier before the season started that you took a very humble contract. What's that about?

O: Well, this isn't the only source of income I have. I still have connections back in Kansas City that provide me with a pretty stable income. That being said, I came to the NSFL to win, and if I need to take a lower pay for a few years for us to get back to back championships then so be it. I will definitely ask for more when I become a star however. Not gonna work for peanuts all of my career.

I: A lot of your fellow rookies went back down to the DSFL for another year in order to hone their skills before moving up. Did doing that ever cross your mind, and why didn't you?

O: It definitely crossed my mind. I have a lot of love for Kansas City and their fans, but I feel like that team is in good hands. They drafted a new tight end, Jason Palmer, and I see a bright future for him. I may be a little biased there, but everyone they've drafted seems like they can be studs in the NSFL in a few seasons time. I saw an opportunity in the NSFL and knew I had to take it. To start on the field in San Jose for the reigning Ultimus champs? How could anyone pass that up voluntarily? It's going to be a great year for the Sabercats and I'm very happy that I'm a part of it.

I: Do you miss playing alongside longtime teammate and friend, Lightsout Lewis?

O: Yeah, I do miss playing alongside him but it's been fun to watch him lead the Kansas City Coyotes. They've gotten off to a rocky start, but Rome wasn't built in a day. The GMs have a lot of work to do and this year is only the start. It will be weird playing against him in the NSFL though. During our college years and even last year, we thought we'd end up on the same team. But beggars can't be choosers. Our careers just began so maybe we'll end up on the same team sometime in the future. Who knows what will happen.

I: How are you adjusting to San Jose after spending a year in Kansas City?

O: It's been really fun! I miss the barbecue and live music from Kansas City, but San Jose has it's own awesome vibe you know? With Silicon Valley nearby, you meet a lot of interesting people. A lot of people like to dress up as Steve Jobs strangely. Not sure what that's about. But all in all it's been great! My teammates invited me to board game night with a few of their friends so I've been bonding with them. Our go to game is Werewolf. You learn a lot about people playing that and things can get heated and chaotic, but it's a ton of fun.

I: How did it feel to have your name called in the second round?

O: It was mind blowing. I was caught completely off guard that a team like San Jose was even considering drafting me, let alone taking me at 20 overall. They scouted me and I talked to their GM, but I still didn't think that's where I would be going. I don't think there was a dry eye in my parents house in North Carolina after I got the call. I'm so proud to be a Sabercat and I hope I become a star for this team and the league.

I: This is going to be my final question because I think I've kept you long enough. If your coach or GM needed you to switch from tight end to another position such as wide receiver, would you? Why or why not?

O: Based on my size alone, I'm not sure how effective I would be at wide receiver at this time in my career. Like I said above, my biggest weakness right now is getting away from defenders after I make a catch so my speed and agility need work. Once I am able to hone in that part of my skillset, I think I would be ready for a receiver role and be a monster of a red zone threat. As of right now though, I think my skillset calls for me to be a tight end, and a damn good one at that. You never know what the future holds though right?

I: Alright, thank you Cam, I appreciate your time and I hope you have a great rest of your season.

O: Thanks, you too! I mean, uhhh, go Cats!

SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS SJS