International Simulation Football League
*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 6) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 6) (/showthread.php?tid=13580)

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 6) - nickyvmlp - 05-23-2019

This week, we’re gonna add a little something extra to the MVP discussion, some honorable mentions. Let me take you through my thought process. When making these lists, I start by going through all of the tabs for passing, rushing, receiving, defense, and even kicking stats. I pick someone out and say “that guy’s putting up MVP numbers”, and I’ll write down that person’s stats in a Google doc. Then, I’ll sort all of them in a list from most deserving to least. I’ll make the top six my MVP candidates, and everyone else will be an honorable mention. This’ll let me expand my scope a little bit, talk about some players I don’t often mention, give recognition to people on the rise, and make these posts longer to make me that sweet dolla-dolla bill y’all.

This time around, we’ve got five honorable mentions. Mason Brown (Otters) is leading the league in tackles and has forced four total turnovers. Very good stuff, if I did a top seven, he’d be in. Alex Reese (Outlaws) is doing a lot to help turn the Outlaws season around and is ranking in the top half of the league in every passing statistic. Kazimir Oles (Sabercats) has both the most yards per reception and yards per punt return in the league, and is a beast at taking the top off of defenses, he will be missed in San Jose next season. Kolby Deringer (Sabercats) is second in the league in sacks, only behind his appropriately named teammate Football Sackerman, but he does the sacking and a whole lot more. And finally Ryan Applehort (Wraiths) moved from quarterback to cornerback to make room for Cooter Bigsby and he’s taking to the position like a duck to water, leading the league in deflections.

(And also I think we’re going to keep the sixth to first format from last season’s finale. Just seems more exciting.)

6. ARI RB Slim Shady (Prev.: NR) 136 carries, 581 yards, 6 TDs, 13 receptions, 73 yards, 1 TD

Finally, I get to talk about Slim Shady. Last season, he was putting up numbers similar to Marquise Brown, and even finished the season with more rushing yards than Brown. However, he came up way short in the touchdowns category: only five on the season to Brown’s 16. And a lot of that had to do with how bad the Outlaws were last season, but it’s a whole new ball game this year. The Outlaws are competitive, just a game behind Orange County for a playoff spot. Shady is keeping up with, and if you count receiving TDs surpassing, Brown in the touchdown department. But he’s lagging behind in the yardage department, which makes some sense, as Shady is sharing his workload with Ricky Adams, while Brown is the only back in Baltimore. Even still, Shady is having some terrific performances, like a three-touchdown game against New Orleans in Week 5, where he ran for a score with ten seconds left in regulation, and caught another score in overtime to win. Or the following week, when he ran for 128 and a score in a close loss to Orange County. The Outlaws are sneaky good this year; they have one of the best offenses in the league right now, particularly on the rushing side. Do yourself a favor, don’t overlook the Outlaws.

5. BAL CB Arbin Asipi III (Prev.: 5th) 25 tackles, 5 INTs, 11 deflections

The BallHawk just keeps on coming down with ‘em. Arbin Asipi III got his fifth interception of the season, which leads the league, in Week 5, and he piled on five tackles and a deflection in that game. He’s pulled down a pick in four of his first five games of the season which is pretty darn impressive. The only thing tying him to the spot where he was last week was that he didn’t keep the momentum going. His Week 6 game was just fine, four tackles and a deflection. Right now, Asipi is playing in the slot corner spot, since he’s behind both Axel Hornbacher and Achilles Hondo on the depth chart. And he’s been doing a good job of holding #3 receivers and tight ends in check. He’s getting in front of check downs and safety valve passes and that’ll give QBs fits. I’m interested in seeing how he’d do against #1 receivers, but for now, he’s got a good thing going in Baltimore.

4. SJS QB Joliet L. Christ (Prev.: NR) 1630 yards, 58.8% completion, 9 TD, 8 INTs, 82.8 QB rating, 50 carries, 257 yards, 1 TD

I was warned that I might experience some bias when I was drafted by the Sabercats. People were prepared for Joliet L. Christ to land at the top of these lists, and never leave. Well, I’m trying to remain impartial, and I think fourth is a good spot for him. (Although, if he throws it to me more, those numbers will go up; that’s not a bribe, I’ll just get him more yards and stuff.) Right now, Christ is second in the league in passer rating, third in completion percentage and passing yards, and first in rushing yards by a QB. In his last couple of games, he had nearly 400 total yards in a loss to the Hawks, and scored three times in an easy win over New Orleans. If you just look away from the interception total, which is tied for most in the league, everything else looks like the numbers of a legit MVP contender. If he can keep from throwing it to the guys in the different colored jerseys, he’ll be ok.

3. COL WR James Bishop (Prev.: 4th) 32 receptions, 632 yards, 7 TDs

The Yeti are in a state of freefall, they just can’t right the ship. They’re giving up almost 40 points per game, and only scoring less than 18 per game, and I crunched the numbers, and that’s bad. Even Micycle is starting to throw more interceptions and take more risks with the ball. But the one beacon of hope on that team is James Bishop. Bishop is doing all he can to keep them in games. He’s scored at least one touchdown in each of the last five games, and the fewest yards he’s had in a game so far was 89, and even then he still scored twice in that game. The last two games, have been remarkably consistent for him, as he’s gone for six receptions for 108 yards and a score, and five receptions for 100 yards and a score. If you split his season long stats into six equal games, you’d get about 5.5 receptions, 105 yards, and just over one score. These are perfectly average games for him, and when 5-100-1 has become the normal, you know you’re killing it. He’s on pace to break the Yeti receiving yards record, and if he can bump up the production just a bit more, maybe he can challenge the top two MVP competitors.

2. BAL RB Marquise Brown (Prev.: 2nd) 161 carries, 734 yards, 6 TDs, 21 receptions, 165 yards

The gap between second and third has closed, as in the last couple of games, Marquise Brown has been merely mortal. In each of the last two games, Brown has failed to hit 100 rushing yards. He ran 22 times for 86 yards and a score in Week 5 against San Jose, and 24 times for 98 yards and a score in Week 6 against Philly. Those are good numbers for most, but they’re definitely below what we’ve come to expect from Marquise. Baltimore also won both of those games, the latter in very convincing fashion, which makes you wonder if they’ll see any need to change the setup, and give Brown his workload back. On the bright side though, his lead in the rushing title is massive; he’s leading Slim Shady by more than 150 yards. And it’s not just volume, Brown has the yards per carry to boot. He has a higher yards per carry than everyone else in the top seven in rushing yards. It’s still obvious, to me at least, that Marquise Brown is the league’s premiere rusher, and he and James Bishop in a dogfight for the best skill position player sounds like a great story to focus on for the rest of the year. But unless either of those two (or someone else) goes Super Saiyan, the MVP looks like it’s going to…

1. BAL QB Childish Gambino (Prev.: 1st) 1737 yards, 61.1% completion, 17 TDs, 2 INTs, 106.4 QB rating

Childish Gambino is doing everything right at the moment. He had possibly his worst game of the season in Week 5 against San Jose. He still had a great game: 24/39, 282 yards, 1 TD, and no picks. When that is your floor, just go ahead and weld the nameplate on the MVP trophy. The next week, he did much better. In Week 6 vs. Philly, Gambino went 27/37, 355 yards, 3 TDs, no picks, and even a rare rushing touchdown. Gambino is leading the league in passing touchdowns with 17, the next closest has 10. He’s leading in passer rating with 106.4, the next closest has 82.8. He’s leading in completion percentage with 61.1%, no one else is above 60%. The only stat he’s not leading in by a wide margin is passing yards, he’s in second behind Gus T.T. Showbiz. What I’m trying to say is that Childish Gambino is really good at playing the quarterback position. HAVE I MADE THAT CLEAR YET?

1659 words .