International Simulation Football League
Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story (/showthread.php?tid=1383)

Pages: 1 2

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - ADwyer87 - 06-23-2017

What if I told you that he always wanted to play basketball? What if i told you his dream was to play in front of the crowds at Cameron? What if i told you that those dreams never panned out. What if I told you that NIU gave him a second chance? What if i told you that he took the college football world by storm? What if I told you an upstart football league promised him fame and fortune. What if I told you that one event in his hometown changed his career forever? NSFLN Presents: A 30 for 30...

[div align=\\\\\\\"center\\\\\\\"]Taking The Easy Way[/div]
[div align=\\\"center\\\"]The Ezekiel Bishop Story[/div]

Basketball is a cruel sport. You could have all the skill in the world, and in the end if your height ain't right, you've got nothing. You can watch some 7 footer with half your talent earn millions while you sit at home and watch him on your TV.

Thats the story of a boy from the inner city of Chicago, a kid they called Easy.

Ezekiel "Easy" Bishop got that name because he schooled kids without effort on the court. Thanks in part to a growth spurt making him taller than most kids growing up, and thanks mostly to a day who was a standout basketball player at Loyola, he dominated the other kids in pickup games in his local neighborhood.

Reporter: How did your father shape your professional career?

Ezekiel Bishop: Wow, I mean, how didn't he? I grew up in an area where you were lucky even to HAVE a dad, but I had a dad who could teach me everything he knew. I don't think I would have been anywhere close to who I am today without that foundation growing up.

Thanks to his great work ethic and a great teacher, Bishop became one of the most hyped players in Chicago High School sports. He could dominate players in the paint with scoring, and he showed great rebounding and defense. The key was the 6'2" frame. as a freshman in high school, and with a dad who reached 6'9", Bishop was expected to become a terror for big men to try and contain.

And then, well, he didn't

The growth didn't continue. throughout high school, Bishop gained just one inch. While he still dominated in high school, it became quickly apparent that he would be VERY hard pressed to make those skills translate to the next level. His skills were too good to ignore for mid-level colleges, but he wasn't able to garner any love from top tier colleges like his dream school, Duke.

Reporter: When you looked through that list of acceptance letters and didn't see any big names, what did you think?

Ezekiel Bishop: There was really no question for me. From the very beginning, I wanted to play for Duke. Scholarship or not, I was gonna play for em.

Reporter: So, you were willing to disregard a full ride to lower tier DI schools with solid educational programs, to take a shot at cracking one of the best schools in basketball as a walk on, just like that?

Ezekiel Bishop: Just like that.

And that he did. He made the team as a walk on, with his potential and high school resume. But he could never truly crack the Duke rotation, averaging just 2.8 and 4.4 MPG in his two seasons there. He didn't make the team in his junior year, and promptly left Duke.

People were watching him in Duke, however. Northern Illinois University coach Rod Carey saw big potential in Bishop because of his natural athleticism and jumping ability. Carey approached Bishop upon hearing about his dismissal from Duke, and offered him a scholarship to come play football at NIU. shocked, Bishop agreed.

And he was a natural. In his first and only NCAA season, Bishop recorded 9 interceptions and 15 pass deflections, putting him at 4th and 7th among all time MAC performances. He was named near unanimous MAC defensive player of the year, and was a second team all-american. His future was bright

Reporter: You went from kid who never played more than catch with your dad, to a star football player with the Huskies. How surreal was that experience?

Ezekiel Bishop: Well, I'm not sure what surreal means haha, but it was definitely crazy. It gave me a taste of the top again, after struggling so much at Duke and falling out of the public eye, I was back and better than ever. It was so fun, met a lot of cool people and had a lot of good times.

Around this time, a new football league called the NSFL was forming. They promised college football players fame and fortune to come play for their squad. What kid could say no to that? He declared for the NSFL draft and waited for GMs to contact him.

He went to the NSFL draft with low hopes. It seemed that with his limited experience, GMs were scared to contact him. Could he maybe even go undrafted? However, when the 116th overall pick rolled around, and the Baltimore Hawks were up, the GM came to the stand and announced that they would take Ezekiel Bishop with their pick! He was so excited, he gave his mom and dad hugs and rushed on stage to collect his number.

Reporter: What went through your head when you heard your name called?

Ezekiel Bishop: Pure joy. For those few years at Duke I thought my hopes of playing in the pros were over. Right then, it all came together.

This story does not have a happy ending, however.

After the draft, Bishop went back to his home in the inner city of Chicago. Everyone greeted him with open arms as the toast of the town. His closest friends organized a special party for everyone to come hang out and congratulate Easy.

At 11:49 PM, Ezekiel Bishop was slightly intoxicated, dancing with his friends and enjoying the music, when a racket arose in the house. A young man in a hoodie was harassing a young girl, grabbing her and attempting to pull her into a room against her will. Easy was the first to come to her aid, running up to them and pushing the man off of the girl. The man then responded by pulling out a handgun and shooting Bishop in the chest, and running off.

It was a miracle that Bishop survived the incident. The cops had been called not a few minutes earlier regarding a noise complaint from the party house. When the shooting happened, police were just around the block and were able to respond quickly. While they were no medical professionals, they were able to stabilize Bishop for long enough until the ambulance arrived.

Bishops' right lung was punctured and had collapsed on him. The effects, while not permanent, would ail him for years. While Bishop was up and walking after a week and a half, his stamina was lessened significantly. Even just playing a relaxed game of 1 on 1 with his 47 year old dad would leave him winded after 10-20 minutes. He was unable to lift anymore, without risking his lung collapsing again.

Reporter: How did you first hear the news?

Ezekiel Bishop: Well, from my dad. When I came to after the surgery, there was no one in the room except for my dad. When he saw I was awake, he told me everything. He said the doctors said I was lucky to be alive, and that, well, that I wasn't going to be able to play football anytime soon.

Reporter: You said that in a year or two you would be able to be fully healed from this injury. Are you aiming a comeback?

Ezekiel Bishop: I really dont see that happening. Even if i get all my stamina back, I will still be so out of shape from not being able to exercise for acouple years. I hope to become active in the NSFL one day again, but not as a player.

Nowadays, Easy spends his time back in the halls of Duke. After hearing of the terrible accident, Duke gave him a full ride scholarship to get the last classes he needed to complete his major. He is studying sports management, and like he said, hopes to come back to the NSFL one day in a coaching or executive role. Until then, the fans of the NSFL will be waiting for this star to come back to the league

-1,427 words

Code:
adam2552 edit: fixed name, who the hell is Ezekiel Benoit?!

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - Admin - 06-23-2017

Who's Ezekiel Benoit

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - White Cornerback - 06-23-2017

(06-23-2017, 01:17 PM)Ballerstorm Wrote:Who's Ezekiel Benoit
Jesus christ , he's made a mockery of our saviour Exekiel Bishop.

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - Noble - 06-23-2017

Forever in our hearts

(06-23-2017, 08:17 AM)Dermot Wrote:Jesus christ , he's made a mockery of our saviour Exekiel Bishop.
The outrage is real

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - JBLAZE_THE_BOSS - 06-23-2017

(06-23-2017, 09:17 AM)Ballerstorm Wrote:Who's Ezekiel Benoit

I'm gonna be sick.......... <_< Sad

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - Admin - 06-23-2017

(06-23-2017, 02:13 PM)JBLAZE_THE_BOSS Wrote:I'm gonna be sick.......... <_<  Sad
He edited it and fixed the name in the article now

Taking the Easy Way: The Ezekiel Bishop Story - JBLAZE_THE_BOSS - 06-23-2017

(06-23-2017, 04:17 PM)Ballerstorm Wrote:He edited it and fixed the name in the article now

!!!! MY SICKNESS IS REDIRECTED

(06-23-2017, 03:17 PM)Ballerstorm Wrote:He edited it and fixed the name in the article now
ohhhh i get it now

Ezekiel Benoit is a player from SBA. I get their names comfused a lot

@Evans lul