International Simulation Football League
*Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more (/showthread.php?tid=13982)

*Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more - BrewCrew - 06-24-2019

St. Louis native and Missouri alumni Deon Taylor showed off his talents this year for the New Orleans Second Line. He was drafted with the 27th pick in the 3rd round of last year's NSFL draft. He was the result of a trade up which left some people confused. Nearly everyone expected New Orleans to select quarterback Franklin Armstrong. But after this season, Taylor has shown that he was worth the 3rd round selection. He finished the year with 59 tackles, 3 interceptions and 21 passes defended. The stat line most likely won’t be enough to win him a Defensive Rookie of the Year award, but it did earn him the honor of being selected to the NSFL Pro Bowl. Deon Taylor has a bright future ahead of him at cornerback.

After the season, Deon came back home to St. Louis to prepare for his sophomore campaign. He has spent days at his former high school working out with the student athletes. He has also found time to visit his old college coach and practice there. This offseason is a great homecoming for Deon as he hopes to take the next step in his career. After a Monday morning workout, we got to sit down with Deon and discuss about his season, his life and many other things.

How have you been doing since the season?

Well although I really wished our season ended much later, it was refreshing to get time off. The season can wear you out pretty quickly so it’s nice to get some time to rest. But I’ve been working hard to get ready for next season. Watching the playoffs from home was a big motivator for me and I’m super excited for next season.

How does it feel to be back home in St. Louis?

It’s been great. Being able to see my old teammates, coaches, friends and of course my family. It has given me an extra burst of energy and motivation. I’ve been working out with some coaches I had at Mizzou and even spent some time training at my old high school. Coming back to where it all began has made me realize just how far I’ve come. These are the places where I grinded to get to where I am. I guess it has come full circle that I’m back here putting in work just like I did many years ago.

Overall, what are you thoughts about your rookie season?

There were some great moments but even more disappointments. It’s hard to feel good about a season after you only manage to win 2 games. Even though I had some decent personal performances, if they don’t end up in wins, it’s hard to be happy. I’m a very competitive guy and I’m only satisfied with victories. There was also there were times where I was inconsistent this year. The best players are able to perform at a high level week in and week out. That’s where I want to be. I had 2 picks in my NSFL debut and only 1 interception for the rest of the season. If I can consistently help the defense night in and night out, I will be much more satisfied with my play. But with all that said, it was a great experience this season.

You were recently selected to your first NSFL Pro Bowl. What reaction did you have when you learned you were selected?

Honestly at first I was just surprised. There are so many talented guys in this league and to be selected among the best is quite the honor. I’m not sure if I completely earned the title of a pro bowler, but I’m proud to be considered among them. Hopefully I can be a part of a few more pro bowls throughout my career.

In the last 2 seasons, you have a combined record of 6-22. How do you stay motivated during these times and is there an urge to find another team?

It’s definitely challenging to go through losing periods like that. It’s without a doubt very demotivating to work hard and not see those results on the field. But we have to realize we are in a rebuilding stage with a handful of young players. This is just the start of the process to success. I trust in the organization and their vision for the future. As of now, I have no desire to play for any other teams. I hope to build something special here in New Orleans.

How did you feel about your former team, the Solar Bears, winning the Ultimini?

It was amazing to see that. They accomplished the ultimate goal after our struggles the season before. It was truly a testament to the hard work of the players and the organization. I am so happy for those guys and will always be rooting them on. I wish it could have happened when I was still there but I guess it just wasn’t meant to be. Either way, congrats to the Solar Bears and the city of Palm Beach.

What are you looking forward to most coming into this season?

I’m just looking forward to stepping back onto the field with my guys and battling. I hope that the hard work I have put in this offseason will translate to the field. I know the rest of the team has been hard at work so I’m just trying to do my part. It will also be exciting getting some new guys in the locker room such as Johnny and Forrest. Those guys can add a lot to our team and we can’t wait to have them. We believe that we can all learn to win together and become true contenders within this league. We are all looking forward to taking that next step this season.

What are your thoughts on the two expansion teams this year?

It’s a very exciting time for the league right now. The two new teams will add a lot to this league. More fans and more football. It’s also very fun to see a team get built from the ground up. Both the organizations have been doing a great job building the foundations of their teams. It will be fun to see which expansion team will find more success. Also it will be interesting to see how fast one of the team’s can find success. I wish nothing but the best for both Chicago and Austin.

During the offseason, what have you been doing to prepare yourself for year 2?

I have spent a lot of time honing my skills for this next year. I feel like right now I am the best I have been as both an athlete and as an intelligent football player. I made a lot of mistakes in my rookie year and I have been working to eliminate those. If I can become a smarter and more consistent football player, I will see great results both personally and for my team.

You were in an article earlier this year as a potential selection for the Defensive Rookie of the Year award. Do you feel your performance this year was worthy of DROY?

I’m not sure… I’ll probably have to say no. There were so many talented rookies this year. It’s hard to say I stood out more than any of those guys. It’s also difficult to pick me with my inconsistencies that I talked about earlier. If I could have played at a high level all season long, I would be more deserving. But either way, I’m just honored to be anywhere near consideration for an award like this. If I had a vote, I’d pick my former teammate Faith Terim. That guy is special and I miss playing next to him.

Anything else you would like to say before we leave you?

I’ll just say to the city of New Orleans that I appreciate you welcoming me with open arms last year. The fans and organization have been so kind to me so far. We truly believe we are developing a winner culture here in New Orleans. Just stay patient and we will make you all proud.

Word Count: 1363

*Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more - PDXBaller - 06-24-2019

Proud to call you a Solar Bear! Very happy to see you got Pro Bowl honors!

*Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more - Eco - 06-26-2019

(06-24-2019, 03:09 PM)BrewCrew Wrote:If I had a vote, I’d pick my former teammate Faith Terim. That guy is special and I miss playing next to him.

I miss you too Sad

*Deon Taylor talks his rookie season and much more - BrewCrew - 06-26-2019

(06-26-2019, 09:36 AM)Eco Wrote:I miss you too Sad

Hopefully one day we will team up again. But until then, let's go Solar Bears!