International Simulation Football League
*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) (/showthread.php?tid=14345)

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - nickyvmlp - 07-22-2019

With the season more than half over, the MVP race is really starting to come together. New contenders continue to come out of the woodwork every week, but the true elite are starting to solidify their case for the MVP trophy. Let’s go over them, starting as always with the honorable mentions.

Adriana Falconi (Liberty, @enigmatic) has fallen out of the leaderboard, and as you may’ve guessed, the INTs are what did her in. Even though she’s still the league leader in passing TDs, the rest of her stats have declined, leading her here. However, when her passes do connect, they often go to Jordan von Matt (Liberty, @JVMjrDOT), who is second in the league in receiving yards, first in receiving touchdowns, and has scored in five of his last six games. Lanzer Grievous (Otters, @Rising Equinox) is likely to pull down Defensive Rookie of the Year with no one else really even in his area code. Both Marquise Brown (Hawks, @YoungTB) and Dick Wizardry (Copperheads, @AdamS) have slowed down as both teams head in different directions (the Hawks toward Corvo Havran, and the Copperheads toward the toilet). A couple of tight ends have entered the conversation, Johnny Blaze (Otters, @JBLAZE_THE_BOSS) and Cameron Olsen (Sabercats, @Rradum). The former is leading the league in receptions by a huuuuuuuge margin, and the latter is already a huge part of the Sabercat offense and that role will only grow after the Ahri Espeeyeeseetee trade. And finally, William H. Harrison (Second Line, @Mongoose87) is still leading the league in picks, and is heading a sneaky good New Orleans defense.

6. Sam Torenson (@Jonny2x), CHI (Prev: HM), 203 carries, 864 rush yards, 8 TD

What the Butchers have been able to do in their first season of existence is nothing short of astounding. I thought they'd be good, I didn't think they'd have the best record in the league through eight weeks. And shockingly, the biggest contributor on perhaps the league's best team is the reigning #1 overall pick. Sam Torenson has come in and just made the league his in a way you just don't see rookies do in this league. He's leading the league in rushing yards, and already has five 100-yard rushing games on the season. Plus, he's second in the league in rushing scores, and third in yards per carry, among those with at least 100 carries. His only major criticism is that he hasn't been able to contribute much in the passing attack, as he has very few receptions or blocks to his credit, but that might be like criticizing a fish for his inability to climb a tree. That just might not be in his bag of tricks. (Remember, he was a DT this time last season.) Sam Torenson will win Offensive Rookie of the Year, barring a collapse reminiscent of a supernova, and if he keeps playing like this, it won't be the only thing he'll win this season.

5. Cooter Bigsby (@timeconsumer), YKW (Prev: NR), 2613 pass yards, 59.9% completion, 19 TD, 6 INT, 94.2 QB Rating

The Cooter has joined the battle. Another young fella, Cooter Bigsby, fresh off his own Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign, has evolved into one of the league's elite quarterbacks. In just his second season in the majors, and now just 22 career starts to his name, he’s got his Yellowknife squad in position to snap an eight-season long playoff drought. Right now, Bigsby is second in passing yards, just a hair off of what Gus T.T. Showbiz has notched. He’s also second in completion percentage and third in touchdowns thrown. His finest hour so far came in Week 6, where he torched Baltimore’s defense to the tune of 484 yards, three scores and helped three different receivers hit 100 yards on his way to a 33-25 win over division rival Baltimore. There’s honestly no holes that you can point to and call an area of weakness for Cooter, he’s in the top three in every relevant QB stat except rushing yards, where he’s fourth. If he keeps up this pace, he’ll keep climbing these rankings. The Wraiths are a dangerous bunch this year, and if they fire on all cylinders (and with a leader like Cooter, they’ll be a fired up bunch), the Wraiths could end the league’s second longest active playoff drought this season.

4. Joliet L. Christ (@`AndrewWarren13`), SJS (Prev: NR), 2104 pass yards, 60.2% completion, 16 TD, 4 INT, 96.8 QB Rating, 81 carries, 601 rush yards, 4 TDs

Not to sound like a huge homer, but Joliet L. Christ may just be the greatest player to ever lace up in this league (bit much, maybe). Now I did leave him off the last one of these posts, not even putting him in the honorables. He was close, but he didn’t stand out from the crowd that much. But these last five weeks have been some inspired work by Christ, where he’s put up three of the top four Offensive Performance of the Year games, the crown jewel of which came in Week 7. During a total shellacking of the Copperheads, Christ threw for four touchdowns and ran for three more, accounting for nearly 500 total yards en route to a 55-0 torching of Austin. He’s currently leading the league in both completion percentage and fewest interceptions, and while his passing yards and touchdowns are both fourth in the league (basically average), they’re supplemented by his rushing stats, which are absolute bonkers. He’s seventh in the league in rushing yards. San Jose’s QB has more rushing yards than the starting running back on four different teams, including San Jose. Also, I normally make 12.5 carries the floor for these posts to signify a starting running back. Christ doesn’t have that, but let’s just say he gets 19 more carries to get him there and gains zero yards. With 100 rushes for 601 yards, he’d still have the highest yards per carry in the league by more than a full yard, despite 19 straight plays that died at the line of scrimmage. Basically statwise, Christ is like if they combined Alex Reese's passing stats and Tyler Swift's rushing stats into a single player. The Sabercats are basically playing with 12 players on the field every week. That is what it’s like to have Joliet L. Christ on your team.

3. Vinny Valentine (@Unicorn), OCO (Prev: 4th), 47 receptions, 909 rec yards, 8 TD

Vinny Valentine is in a really difficult position. It’s hard for a receiver to win MVP, especially if the quarterback who’s throwing it to him is really good too. I mean, how much of Vinny’s success is on him, and how much it because of Gus? Well, considering that the Otters have three receivers in the top five in receiving yards, I know which way I’m leading, but Mr. Valentine is doing his share of the work for sure. Right now, Valentine is leading the league is receiving yards, and is second in both receptions and receiving TDs. He’s recorded at least 100 receiving yards in all but one game this season (including an active five game streak). It’s hard to pick out just one game as his best one, since he’s just consistently putting up great numbers. 6-161-1 from Week 1 sticks out his best, but he’s also had games of 7-117-1, 5-100-2, 4-61-3, and 6-121-1 among others. Vinny’s got an outside shot to win MVP, but he’s gonna have to figure out how to pull away from the rest of his teammates, including Showbiz. Basically if two of the following three things happen, Valentine will be in business: either he has another 150 yard receiving day or two, Showbiz catches the INT bug from Falconi, or the Otters keep winning. But even if that doesn’t happen, he’ll just have to settle on being the biggest cheat code receiver in the league.

2. Raymond Vans (@karl), ARI (Prev: 1st), 57 tackles, 2 TFL, 2 FF, 2 FR, 14 sacks, 1 INT, 7 deflections, 1 TD, 1 blocked punt

Unfortunately, all the fun in these posts has to come to an end, as I can’t in good conscience keep Raymond Vans in the top spot of these posts. He’s unfortunately taken a step back these last few weeks. However, that’s like saying a great white shark is slightly less vicious than a T-Rex. While it is true that he hasn’t recorded a turnover since the last post I did after Week 4, he’s still bringing down the ball carrier often, especially when that ball carrier is the quarterback. He’s gotten at least one sack in every game so far, and isn’t just leading the league in sacks, but has four more than his nearest competitor (Lanzer Grievous). And he’s also gotten fairly reliable at swatting the ball, but unfortunately for lovers of off-the-wall MVP winners, a lot of Vans’s other stats are being duplicated or exceeded by others. His tackle numbers aren’t as impressive anymore, and his turnovers have stagnated, so even though I still think he’s a monster, who’s floor is still six tackles, a sack, and a deflection (which is exactly what he’s had in the last couple of games), he might not be the biggest wrecking ball in the league. But he’s still producing at a good rate, especially in sacks, his team has a favorable rest of the schedule with two games ahead against winless teams, and is still in the middle of the league’s best defense, so if the Outlaws are going to snap the first longest active playoff drought in the league, it’ll be up to Raymond Vans to get them there.

1. Gus T.T. Showbiz (@Molarpistols), OCO (Prev: 3rd), 2624 pass yards, 58.6% completion, 23 TD, 6 INT, 100.3 QB Rating

So there’s another guy in the Media room who’s also making MVP posts (@TropicaliaCC), and even though this is obviously a competition to see who can make the most money and be more well liked in this community (right?), we both came to the consensus that Gus T.T. Showbiz is the best player in the league and the most deserving of MVP honors, at this moment. Right now, Showbiz is leading the league in passing yards, passing touchdowns, and passer rating, and is tied for second in interceptions thrown. With Vinny Valentine, Sunnycursed, and Johnny Blaze all in the top five in receiving yards at his disposal, he can basically close his eyes and throw, and one of those three will come down with it. Now, I know I talked in great length about a few other people on this list, but Showbiz did a lot in the last few weeks to solidify his rise to the top of these rankings. In Week 5, he threw for 391 yards and six touchdowns (and three picks) in a 48-28 barnburner against the Second Line. Then in Week 6, he cleaned up those picks while still throwing four scores with a stellar 125.9 QB rating. Week 7, 387 passing yards and five drives that made it to the Arizona red zone (fancy way of saying they stalled a lot), which ended in a 25-nil shutout over the Outlaws. And in Week 8, Showbiz went for 406 and three scores and came up just short in a dogfight against Yellowknife. Four stellar games in a row leads me to the conclusion that Gus T.T. Showbiz is in the driver’s seat. However, this isn’t like last year where Childish Gambino had the title wrapped up by midseason. I’d say that anyone in the top 5 could be at #1 by the end of Week 11, and given the huge turnover from the Week 4 post, I wouldn’t be shocked if the entire leaderboard was flipped on its head in the next one of these posts. Stay tuned...

2033 words .

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - karl - 07-22-2019

haha I'm glad I could keep it interesting. Looks like Vans needs to step it up a notch though ARI

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - SwagSloth - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 07:59 AM)karl Wrote:haha I'm glad I could keep it interesting. Looks like Vans needs to step it up a notch though ARI
DPotY for sure, but MVP would be even better!

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - ValorX77 - 07-22-2019

Recent tests have shown it’ll be Cooter’s year YKW

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - timeconsumer - 07-22-2019

(07-22-2019, 02:10 PM)ValorX77 Wrote:Recent tests have shown it’ll be Cooter’s year YKW

A year is too small for Cooter. I need my own decade.

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - Sweetwater - 07-22-2019

Hot take:

There might be a new name on this list after tonight, and probably some movement within the list. :eyes:

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - CalvinP - 07-24-2019

Grithead season has been way better than Vans' imo.

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - Pio15 - 07-25-2019

Studies show that Will Smith will end up the GOAT of NSFL

*NSFL MVP Rankings (Through Week 8) - nickyvmlp - 07-25-2019

(07-24-2019, 07:57 PM)CalvinP Wrote:Grithead season has been way better than Vans' imo.
Well to be fair, Grithead has six picks, seven deflections, three sacks and two scores in just the last two games. When I wrote this, Vans was doing better, but it's definitely closer now.