International Simulation Football League
*Taco Tuesday - Episode 3 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Taco Tuesday - Episode 3 (/showthread.php?tid=14416)

*Taco Tuesday - Episode 3 - TeyonSchavari - 07-30-2019

[Ready for grading - 1276 words]

Hello all and welcome back to another episode of Taco Tuesday! Inspired by "The League" character Taco, this is the series where the worst fantasy football player, AKA the "Taco" of the league, has their draft analyzed to see what contributed to their poor performance. This week features a member a group that drafted pretty chaotically.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

Last weeks Taco: @caltroit_red_flames

Well, Mr. Red Flames still isn't doing so hot with the worst score in the league. After last weeks analysis, we were able to see why. A lot of questionable moves have been his downfall, and unfortunately even late drafters like Daybe have begun to pass him up. Ouch. Since he is still at the bottom, we will give him a break from the scrutiny and move on to the next lowest score to analyze. Who's this week's Taco?

@wuma

Sorry Wuma, you have been selected as this week's Taco with the second lowest score of active drafters. Before diving too deep into Group 10's draft, it is looking like there has been some poor luck along with the other teams just drafting very well. Unlike last weeks Taco, Wuma had to deal with a less than ideal draft position and had a fully active draft group. How does Wuma's team look?

Falconi, A. 214.98
Shady, S. 162.4
Maddox, E. 152.6
Pennington, B. 84.3
Brannigan, Z. 70.6
Espeeyeeseetee ®, A. 71.9
Lawes, S. 110
Baltimore Hawks 110.6

TOTAL: 977.38

First looks show that his team is definitely below average: A good QB, a good RB, a good lead WR, a kicker and a defense exist. But what is really holding him back is the backup WR's and his TE isn't transcendent. What could Wuma have done better?

Rd 1, Pick 4: Slim Shady, RB

Decent pick to start the draft. As far as RB's are concerned, this was one of the best available at the time. According to ADP, Shady was drafted 4th pretty much all around the league. He could have had Wizardry, who's ADP was 3, but the difference between the two at the time of drafting was minimal. Twelve weeks in, however, we can see that is not exactly the case. Shady is the 9th ranked RB, underperforming a considerable amount. The power of hindsight suggests that Wizardry would have been a better choice that aligns with the ADP, but around the time of drafting I have no problem with this pick. Chalk it up as bad luck for this one.

Fun little tidbit, before this QB Gus Showbiz was taken at 2nd overall. Who would have guessed the guy who drafted QB first would be doing well?

Rd 2, Pick 9: Errol Maddox, WR

Another good pick. In a vacuum, this draft is going smoothly according to ADP, where Maddox was also 9. Looking at the context, though, Vinny Valentine was still on the board somehow, yet he was passed up. I get the logic though, Maddox was the 2nd ranked WR going into the draft, and if he's your guy then grab him. Performance-wise, though, he's leaving something to be desired. As the 4th best receiver he's doing fine, and it isn't a bad pick, but he's almost 50 points behind Valentine. That would have helped greatly.

Another interesting fact about Group 10: Valentine was the 5th receiver picked behind his own teammate Sunnycursed, Flash, Maddox, and Oles. What is going on in this draft?

Rd 3, Pick 16: Adriana Falconi, QB

This is the first pick that I dislike. With an ADP of 24, this is the first reach. Waiting to pick a QB would have been very beneficial as he could have bolstered his receiving corps by picking Von Matt or James Bishop, or gone for a high end tight end like Johnny Blaze. And if he really wanted one of the best QB's, I don't understand why Wuma wouldn't pick Christ, who's ADP was 15 and was still on the board and is now crushing the league as the overall points leader. That stings. There were also similarly ranked QB's that are also doing well enough that could have been picked later. In all, not a fan of this pick.

More Group 10 shenanigans: Falconi wasn't even the biggest QB reach. A few picks earlier, run_cmc selected: Corvo Havran. WTF?

Rd 4, Pick 21: Zapp Brannigan, TE

This wasn't the worst TE that could have been picked, but in hindsight it hurts to see that Brannigan didn't work out for Wuma. Blaze was taken not long before this so the only "better" option according to ADP was Verso L'Alto, who would have actually been a worse TE pick with an awful 47.2 total points. Brannigan was 23 in ADP however, so it wasn't really a reach. He has the 4th most points of TE's close to #3, but is leagues behind 2nd and even further behind 1st. Maybe another WR or a RB as a flex option would have suited his team better, but I can't blame him for making this pick. Another case of bad luck.

Rd 5, Pick 28: Baltimore D

I'm scratching my head over this one. Yes, Baltimore's ADP was 27, but the difference between defenses is so volatile and unpredictable that I can't justify taking one this early. There were plenty of defenses that would have gone later that would have done just as well. Especially when you don't have a second WR or a flex pick yet. I don't like this pick at all. Josh Parker would have been a great pick here to help out, or Apollo Reed who for some dumb reason was still available when he was going top 10 in most leagues. This one was a mistake.

Right after this, the Chicago D was taken. I don't know what to do with this group.

SKIPPED TIL END - Final 3 picks:

Brad Pennington - WR
Cameron Clutch (S. Lawes) - K
Ahri Espeeyeeseetee WR

Now we can see where it officially all fell apart. Being skipped until the end really took the legs off of Wuma, who's draft while questionable wasn't necessarily terrible. Building the rest of the team with scraps couldn't have been easy, but there were better options available. The kicker is fine because kickers don't matter. But at WR? I would have liked to see Varga get picked as I feel he was a much better prospect. Anoia also would have been sufficient. Pennington just didn't cut it as a lowly ranked WR. The pick of Ahri Extremelylongname was not a good one either for the flex. Ricky Adams would have worked, Morgan Marshall would have been nice, but Sam Torenson would obviously have been the best although nobody knew he would have the season that he is having.

Last fun fact about Group 10: There were a couple of players that seemed to forget how to read and made picks & waiver claims for players that were already on another team. How embarrassing.

Unfortunately, nothing seemed to pan out the way Wuma had hoped. There were some good picks, some bad ones, and a lot of terrible luck. All I can say is better luck next year, and here's to hoping the last game brings Wuma's score up.

ANNOUNCEMENT: Next week, as the season comes to a close, I will be doing a recap on the three Taco's from this year to see where they ended up for the final Taco Tuesday episode of season 16. It will be slightly shorter than the previous episodes. Hope to see you there!

*Taco Tuesday - Episode 3 - caltroit_red_flames - 07-30-2019

Wtf I've been snubbed