International Simulation Football League
*Merv's Corner #3 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Merv's Corner #3 (/showthread.php?tid=14720)

*Merv's Corner #3 - hihihi_62 - 08-06-2019

Merv’s Corner (Episode #3)

In today's episode I'm going to briefly preview tomorrow nights big Ultimini showdown between the Tijuana Luchadores and the fan favourite Portland Pythons (not biased at all).

In my previous episode I reviewed the regular season matchups for both Conference Championship games and made predictions for who I thought would win both of the Conference Championship games.

Brief Conference Championship Review:

Over in the SFC I predicted that the Luchadores would be very difficult to stop for the Marshals and pointed out that holding Tijuana's rushing attack under 100 yards would be key if the Marshals wanted a chance to win this one. In my closing thoughts on the game I predicted a 28-13 win for the Luchadores.

The Luchadores came out swinging in this one and never looked back getting out to an early lead and establishing their running game. Luchadores QB Jordan McCann III did what he had to do completing 12/18 for 171 yards -- most of those yards coming on completions to Lazlo Forty-Two who had 5 receptions for 98 yards. On the ground Luchadores RB Ducky Donut was impressive once again putting up over 100 yards while backup RB Osborne chipped in with another 79 yards and 1 TD on the ground. On the other side of the field Luchadores LB Honda Edmond lead the charge with 13 tackles in an impressive showing in which the Marshals QB Jim McMahon was held to 89 yards and a 50% completion rate. Consensus #1 pick Ashley Owens tried his best putting up 102 yards on 21 carries but that wasn't quite enough and the Luchadores controlled this one from whistle to whistle winning it 23-7 to take their spot in the Ultimini.

Over in the NFC I predicted a bloodbath between Kansas City and Portland and believed that the key to the game would be whichever QB could do his part and protect the ball. I predicted a 28-24 Pythons victory.

Much like the Luchadores the Pythons came out ready to play in this one while the Coyotes couldn't seem to find any kind of rhythm. Coyotes QB Jay Longshaw struggled all game long throwing 3 INTs including a late pick six by yours truly to seal this one. On the other side of the ball Franklin Armstrong didn't have his best statistical game of the season but did his part to protect the ball and put up 171 yards and 2 TDs through the air. As predicted the Python Stranglehold proved to be too much for Kansas City as the Pythons dominated all game long to come out on top with a 38-10 victory to send themselves to the Ultimini.

Brief Review of Season Series:

1. The teams first met in Week 6 and was a heavyweight bout showcasing the 5-1 Pythons at the 6-0 Luchadores. The game was a back and forth thriller with the Luchadores taking an early 9-0 first quarter lead behind an early Ducky Donut rushing TD. Not to be outdone Pythons RB NA Rkansaw went toe to toe with Donut putting up a TD of his own on the ground to tighten things up to 9-7 at the half. Jordan McCann III had a forgettable game against the Pythons putting up a measly 65 yards through the air but he did help keep the Luchadores ahead in the 3rd with a passing TD to Lazlo Forty-Two. Late into the 4th Quarter the Pythons managed to squeak ahead taking a 24-16 lead with 5:31 remaining. Not ready to go away quietly Lazlo Forty-Two took back the ensuing kickoff 96 yards for a TD to bring the Luchadores within 2 points. The Luchadores lined up to attempt the 2 point conversion but came up short resulting in a final score of 24-22 for the Pythons in Tijuana.

2. In week 8 the Luchadores travelled North to Portland and the teams once again put on a show for the home town fans. The Luchadores came out hot behind a couple of Jordan McCann III passing touchdowns to take a 16-0 lead after the 1st Quarter. The Python fans were quickly brought to their feet in the 2nd quarter as eventual offensive player of the game NA Rkansaw broke off an 86 yard TD run to get the Pythons back into the game. The teams continued to trade scores in the second half but the Luchadores ended up stealing this one on the road 26-20 lead by fantastic offensive performances by Ducky Donut, Chase Osborn and Jordan McCann III.

Key Stats:
Teams split season series 1-1 with the away team winning both games.
Both games decided by less than 7 points.

Ultimini Prediction:
Quite frankly the two Conference Championship games were blowouts regardless of whether the scores reflected that or not but at the end of the day the two best teams in the DSFL will be facing off and I expect a very tight game reminiscent of their regular season matchups. Portland RB RA Rkansaw had massive performances in both regular season matchups but so did Luchadore RBs Ducky Donut and Chase Osborn. This one is going to be decided on the ground although don't be surprised to see some fireworks from superstar WRs Lazlo Forty-Two and Hugo Mongo. The Luchadore defence is lead by future NSFL superstars Honda Edmond and Jordan Andrews and those two will be do everything in their power to shut down Rkansaw and the Franklin Armstrong lead Pythons.

Home field advantage for the Luchadores will be tough for the Pythons to overcome but they did pull it off in Week 6 so you never know.

Even though the Luchadores are the more logical pick here I can't pick against my boys and I predict a 24-21 final for the Pythons. Player of the game will be RA Rkansaw with 150+ rushing yards.

I was 2/2 on my predictions last week so let's keep that trend going.....hiss, hiss.

Merv