International Simulation Football League
*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards (/showthread.php?tid=15159)

Pages: 1 2

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Baron1898 - 08-23-2019

Welcome to the Second Annual Efteling Media Awards! I’m your host, Baron1898, and on behalf of the B&M Media Group, I’ll be presenting these awards recognizing the finest achievements in the realm of media over the past season.

It’s been a full season since the first edition of these awards, and I’m honored by the positive feedback the first awards got. It’s my goal to keep the Eftelings running for as long as I’m in the league, so seeing them get that much good reception is immensely motivating.

For those of you new to this, what is an Efteling? Well for one, it’s a theme park, and if you can connect the dots you’ll see why it’s being used here. For another, the Eftelings are the de facto official media awards of the NSFL. Each year, I’ll be looking at the content published during every media cycle, ending with the DSFL Draft. For this year, that means anything published from July 3 through August 19. From there, I’ll narrow down a shortlist for each of the six possible awards:
  • + Efteling for Best Media Article (Limited)
    + Efteling for Best Media Article (Series)
    + Efteling for Best Media Presser
    + Efteling for Distinguished Author
    + Efteling for Rising Star
    + Lifetime Achievement Award[/li]
Did I say six? Because I actually meant eleven. That’s right, the Eftelings are now also going to recognize achievements in the media’s sister section, the graphics community. For this task I’ve brought on board longtime community member and Yellowknife GM @Bigred1580 to present the following awards:
  • + Efteling for Best Graphic
    + Efteling for Best Graphic Series
    + Efteling for Best Sig Shop
    + Efteling for Best Artist
    + Efteling for Best New Artist[/li]
The winner of each category receives an Efteling, which I’ve been told is better than an Ultimus by previous recipients. While said winner will find themselves rich in spirit and in eternal glory, alas, they will not find themselves rich in any other manner. These are still unofficial awards, and money transfer between users is strictly prohibited, so neither the league nor my own bank account will be sending any money the winner’s way. Would I like this changed? Of course, but it’s out of my hands.

There are a couple other rules for the awards as well.

1. No content by the B&M Media Group is eligible for an award. This is a super relevant rule since I’ve put out so much content after the last awards, like… uh… look, the scandal article will come out soon I promise.
2. There can be up to five nominees for every category except Best Media Article (Limited) and Distinguished Author, which can have up to ten.
3. No article can be eligible for more than one of the first three awards. They can, however, be used when considering an author’s total body of work for Distinguished Author and Rising Star.
4. No author can be eligible for both Distinguished Author and Rising Star. An author must be in one of the past two draft classes to qualify for Rising Star, AND have never received an Efteling before. If either of these conditions are not met, the author is only eligible for Distinguished Author.
This is a bit different with Best Artist and Best New Artist. An artist CAN be eligible for both awards. However, eligibility for Best New Artist follows the same restrictions as with Rising Star.
5. Not all parts of a series must have been published during a given year for those pieces to qualify for Best Media Article (Series). However, if only one was published in a given year, it would instead qualify for Best Media Article (Limited).
6. There’s no rule stating that you have to have written more than one article to qualify for Distinguished Author or Rising Star, but volume of content in addition to quality is heavily taken into account.

Without further ado, here are your S16 Efteling Media Awards!

— — — — —

Best Media Article (Limited)

This category honors the media pieces from the past year that have risen above the competition to bring creative and professional content to the league at large.

And the nominees are…

@dizzyDC, “Austin Copperheads: The Perfect Season”
  • Perfect is a matter of perspective. Fresh off his renowned season overviews for the Palm Beach Solar Bears, dizzyDC takes us week by week through the historically dismal 0-13 inaugural Copperheads season and gives analysis both on the week to week results and on each roster member.[/li]
@Dylandeluxe, “DSFL 3-Round Mock (S18 deepest class ever?), By Stacy Stanbul”
  • Mock drafts are a dime a dozen. The way to make them stand out from the pack is through the magic of formatting - and Dylandeluxe’s article has this in spades, from the uniqueness of extending predictions through three rounds and the included interviews with prospects that sets it apart from the pack.[/li]
@goodvsevil1275, “Standout Players from Prospect Bowl Weeks 3 and 4, Taking a look at some notable games”
  • This article from the rookie author emulates the NFY articles of years past detailing the standout performers of the Prospect Bowl. Goodvsecil1275 strikes a wonderful balance between detail and brevity, keeping things easy to read while also shining a spotlight on rookie prospects in an easy to read manner.[/li]
@Hallmonitor_20, “Prospect Bowl Kicker Breakdown”
  • It’s been a while since this many new kickers entered the league, and the kicker breakdown thoroughly examines how each draft hopeful performed during their first serious action in the Prospect Bowl. It concisely lists each prospect’s stats in the context of the other contestants and doesn’t waste time with extraneous fluff.[/li]
@IsaStarcrossed, “Diving Deep Into the S17 Draft!, Featuring interviews from Players & GMs”
  • What a beast of an article, and I mean that literally - this is 18K words of writing between Isa and his interview subjects. Isa delves deep into the selections of the S17 Draft, probably deeper than the Grand Canyon to be honest, and uses his journalism degree to an incredible extent that promises much more to come.[/li]
@JuOSu, “The history of GMs in the major sim leagues”
  • I am a serious sucker for articles that tackle history, and JuOSu’s article has this in spades. While technically not completely focused on the NSFL, it’s a fantastic and unique exhibition of one of the most important elements of any sim sport with a bevy or interesting factoids, statistics, and background knowledge.[/li]
@Mooty99, “NSFL Mid Season Review, A review of how season 16 is progressing”
  • Mooty99’s article dives into the individual performances of each NSFL team after the halfway point of the season. Far from simply observing how the standings currently situate, Mooty99 also contrasts his own preseason rankings with the actual situation and extrapolates a reasonably accurate set of predictions for the future.[/li]
@nickyvmlp, “Predicting the Entire S16 Offseason, Major FA Moves + First 3 Draft Rounds”
  • Would you expect anything less than expansive from last year’s Distinguished Author? nickyvmlp shines in this offseason post, meshing together already above average offseason predictions and above average mock draft selections to create a super detailed and knowledgeable portrait of his expectations for each team.[/li]
@SwagSloth, “Inside Source Reveals All, The Secrets from Inside the Arizona HQ”
  • Este artículo es completamente indescifrable, pero eso es parte del encanto. Es posible que no entiendas qué demonios se dice, a excepción de algunos nombres de jugadores, pero, sinceramente, esto lo hizo mucho más divertido. Es por eso que estoy copiando el chiste para esta descripción. Claramente soy muy divertido en las fiestas.[/li]
@SwagSloth, “Recognizing the S16 Outlaws”
  • In contrast with the hapless Copperheads, the Arizona Outlaws had the most successful season of them all, winning their first Ultimus since the days of Er’s multis. And SwagSloth’s eulogy of each and every player on the roster, showing how they’ve contributed to the team with stats and personal descriptions, is a heartfelt and earnest celebration of the team that’s engaging to read.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best Media Article (Limited) goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@JuOSu![/div]

JuOSu’s article on the history of GMing across sim leagues is an inspired read well-deserving of the accolade of Best Media Article (Limited). JuOSu creates a perfect match of quantitative and qualitative observations, deftly examining the highs and lows of one of the most important aspect of online sim leagues. The historical portrait is engaging to read, even for those who were previously unaware of much of the background info. It’s unique, it’s historical, it’s well-written, it’s well formatted, and it’s now the first Efteling winner of the night.

— — — — —

Best Media Article (Series)

This category recognizes the media that has been published as part of an ongoing series of articles or podcasts. United in theme or in branding, these media collections can tell stories and capture an audience through the use of sequenced publishing.

And the nominees are…

@BaconBrother, “After Dark”
  • A picture is worth a thousand words. A picture of words is at least ten thousand. Words about the pictures with words in them is word-ception and worth at least a few billion. BaconBrother’s unique series about the Rookie Discord at nighttime is a pleasure to read and I hope he continues it past the first two installments.[/li]
@Bigred1580, “Season 16 Fantasy Football Deep Dive”
  • This two part monstrosity by Big Red is an incredibly informative delve into the world of NSFL fantasy football. His analysis is top notch as he covers how each group of fantasy teams played out, even though I’ve got no idea whether his suggestions were actually relevant or not.[/li]
@JKortesi81, “The Joe K NSFL Podcast”
  • The Joe K NSFL Podcast is the only podcast running right now. It’s also really good. JKortesi weaves between a variety of topics with humor and unique insight, using his experience and value as co-GM of the Copperheads to give commentary in this two-time nominee for Best Media Article (Series).[/li]
@nickyvmlp, “NSFL MVP Rankings”
  • Also a repeat nominee for the Best Media Article (Series) Efteling, this perennial series by nickyvmlp is a constant staple of the regular season. He gives his personal rankings for the top six contenders for NSFL MVP every few weeks, with relevant stats, context, and info providing the basis for his reasoning.[/li]
@`woelker11`, “Drinking Kool-Aid”
  • The reigning winner of the S15 Rising Star debuted this informative four part series before the beginning of the DSFL season. Each part of the “Drinking Kool-Aid” series gave valid reasoning for each DSFL team to shine during the upcoming season, and the Green Kool-Aid in particular certainly paid off.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best Media Article (Series) goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@JKortesi81![/div]

The Joe K NSFL Podcast is now officially Efteling-certified. JKortesi is a master of the podcast, and is well deserving of this accolade. The podcast combines well researched commentary and personal insights with humor, delivery, and an easy talking attitude. I can say personally that I count myself among his most avid listeners, and like many in the community, I look forward to the days when Joe drops a questions thread. This podcast is the voice of the NSFL and deserves recognition.

— — — — —

Best Media Presser

This category recognizes the most eloquent, well-thought out, and informative pressers to have been released this past year.

And the nominees are…

@Eco, “Fatih Terim Post-Season Presser”
  • This presser by Eco gives well-detailed answers to a variety of queries, almost all centering around Baltimore and food. He primarily discusses the failures of the Baltimore Hawks and how the team plans to move forward and improve their fortunes.[/li]
@goodvsevil1275, “WR Jake Watson Prospect Presser”
  • 10 points from Gryffindor for answering in the comments instead of editing the main post. But despite that enormous mistake, goodvsevil1275 still brings an energetic rookie presser to the table, answering questions about his future with optimistic and interesting answers.[/li]
@iamslm22, “SLM Presser”
  • The league’s premier, and only, agent doesn’t usually have much of a media presence, but this presser proved the exception to the rule. Slm primarily fields questions related to Sim League Management, answering in a mostly drama-free fashion and with well-structured responses.[/li]
@IsaStarcrossed, “Bjørn Ironside Predraft Presser”
  • Here’s another outing from Mr. Wordsmith himself. Bjørn Ironside takes the stand before the draft where he went #1OA. He discusses his future both as a user and as a player, and most importantly he shows proper respect to Gimmy.[/li]
@`woelker11`, “Bubba Thumper Offseason Presser”
  • This presser is a breezy blast through the mind of DT Bubba Thumper. Woelker takes the reader on a lighthearted and praise-filled set of responses. His answers are informative and well-structured, and he takes time to talk about his DSFL experience and what he’s anticipating at the next level of his career.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best Media Presser goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@iamslm22![/div]

Slm has one of the most unique voices in the league, and his perspective on the agency question specifically is unparalleled. He answered every question with the right blend of brevity and information, unpacking his experiences as the only currently operating player agent combined with an outsider POV on numerous players. On behalf of all 22 of his clients, iamslm22 is well-deserving of gratitude - but for now, an Efteling should suffice.

— — — — —

Distinguished Author

This category honors authors whose work in the past year has contributed significantly to the media scene at large. These individuals have proven to consistently provide quality content for the press and include some of the most inspired and dedicated members of the community.

And the nominees are…

@Bigred1580
  • Big Red weighed his media presence with the Fantasy Football Deep Dive series, which garnered him a nod for Best Media Article (Series).[/li]
@contacts
  • contacts wrote four media pieces this year: a personal piece on TE Jammerson Irving, and three separate editions of power rankings. The power rankings in particular feature good in-depth analysis on the week to week performances and just barely failed to make the cut off for Best Media Article (Series).[/li]
@dizzyDC
  • The work of dizzyDC showed off consistently excellent writing, even if the volume wasn’t quite there. His output for the year included a short interview piece with Chase Jensen and the Efteling-nominated eulogy for the Copperhead’s imperfect season.[/li]
@JKortesi81
  • JKortesi81 is the host of the recently Efteling-awarded Joe K NSFL Podcast. He combines wit and charm with immense personal insight and a boat load of valued commentary on the weekly happenings of the league.[/li]
@JuOSu
  • You might be noticing a theme here - the general level of content produced by established authors this year took a dip. JuOSu only wrote one article, but what an article it was - the engaging history of sim league GM tenures won JuOSu this year’s Efteling for Best Media Article (Limited).[/li]
@nickyvmlp
  • Even this guy was less everywhere than usual. He still outproduced almost all other established content creators: continuing his Efteling-nominated NSFL MVP rankings, wrapping up Building the Copperheads and the Butchers, starting (and then stopping?) DSFL Players to Watch, and an entirely new offseason predictions article that’s also really good.[/li]
@SwagSloth
  • The first and so far only author to have multiple nominations for Best Media Article (Limited) in one year. SwagSloth is a uniquely styled and creative writer whose two articles this year were both award-nominated.[/li]
@TeyonSchavari
  • TeyonSchavari wrote four articles this season, all earlier in the media cycle: a puff piece on AJ Lattimer, and a three part series called Taco Tuesday recounting the woes of the worst performing fantasy football teams.[/li]
@ValorX77
  • In traditional Valor format, he produced a smattering of content this year, ranging from pre- and post- draft pressers to a continuation of LeafTalk, a playoff scenarios guide, and a vaguely worded rant/demands list. Yep, that’s Valor for you.[/li]
@`woelker11`
  • Woelker produced another wealth of content this media cycle, starting out with the award-nominated Drinking Kool Aid series. He also garnered a nod for Best Media Presser, provided coverage on the DSFL trade deadline and players to watch, and reviewed his own player rankings from the year prior.[/li]
And the Efteling for Distinguished Author goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@`woelker11`![/div]

Fresh off the heels of a Rising Star Efteling, woelker has garnered the second trophy of his career tonight. While the choice ultimately came down to woelker and SwagSloth, the former’s superior content both in variety and in quantity won him the day. Woelker in media is a tour de force, and his efforts to make consistently unique and entertaining articles shall be rewarded.

— — — — —

Rising Star

This category recognizes the newcomer authors on the block, whose early dedication and hard work shines through their content.

And the nominees are…

@BaconBrother
  • What a passionate group of rookies this is, and one of the headliners in media is BaconBrother. He has written a crazy volume in his tenure, including the Efteling-nominated After Dark miniseries, another series called In The Sauna, and a few interviews with his player.[/li]
@Buttersqauch101
  • The returning S17 rookie continued to show promise with his words. His primary breadwinner was the Path to the Draft series documenting everyone from Brayden Ellis to Ryan Leaf Jr.’s personal backstories, but he also produced other media such as his After Draft Grades.[/li]
@goodvsevil1275
  • Goodvsevil1275 does not have a very nicknamable name. He definitely preferred to take the quality over quantity route for media, publishing only two articles and a presser. His Prospect Bowl article and his presser proceeded to both get nominated for awards.[/li]
@Hallmonitor_20
  • Hallmonitor is yet another rookie who cannot seem to stop churning out words on a regular basis. Besides a few personal pieces on his player, Hallmonitor also wrote three separate write-ups on skill groups in the Prospect Bowl and a fully detailed analysis of the Palm Beach Solar Bears’ draft.[/li]
@IsaStarcrossed
  • I’m not going to bother listing all the things Isa has done since joining the league. Just quickly scroll through the media section and you’ll discover a treasure trove of content that is engaging, informative, and certainly very long.[/li]
And the Efteling for Rising Star goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@IsaStarcrossed![/div]

IsaStarcrossed is already a superstar, and although I hate to write off the incredible display of talent from the recent crop of rookies, this selection was the easiest to choose of any Efteling category this year. Having someone with this level of commitment, creativity, and incredible ability to vomit out 15-20K words on a weekly basis in the media scene is a recipe for greatness, and I hope he can stick with the league for many years to come.

— — — — —

Best New Artist

This category recognizes the newest artists on the block. These guys are busy producing content with incredible passion and are on track to become staples of the graphics community.

@RobCubed
  • Brand new artist on the block with one S18 guy in RobCubed. He is changing the game with his Madden video graphics.[/li]
@KillKillKill
  • KillKillKill burst on the scene and had everyone excited about the new style he brought to the sig game. Making sigs with negative backgrounds, splashy colors, and flashy font excited everyone. Plus, he has pushed out more sigs this season than the rest of us combined![/li]
@Lowlycrib
  • Crib also changed the game with a unique style. His card series was a thing of beauty. His ability to make all his cards look hand drawn without making them look shitty is a great talent.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best New Artist goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@KillKillKill![/div]

— — — — —

Best Graphic Series

This category honors the best graphics work of the year with related themes or styles by the same artist.

@Lowlycrib’s card series
  • As stated above, his card series was a unique way of having each sig part of a series, but still very different from each other.[/li]
@RobCubed Madden
  • New wrinkle to the league making is madden themed graphics. He can makes cards, magizines, sigs, and videos all in this style.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best Graphic Series goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@Lowlycrib![/div]

— — — — —

Best Sig Shop

This category honors the best-run sig shops in the league. Consistent quality and quantity go hand in hand in the shops, and the best can be reliable providers of custom graphics for a wide audience.

@infinitempg, Shop
  • League staple and one of the best sig shops to date. Unfortunately, Infinite stays so busy with his other jobs that he couldn’t make too many of them.[/li]
@Eco, Shop
  • Burst onto the scene in S15 and has become the best graphics grader and has a famous sig shop with a wide variety of styles.[/li]
@KillKillKill, Shop
  • This guy never stops making sigs. His shop is popular and his style and skill has grown in the short time since he joined the league.[/li]
@enigmatic, Shop
  • The Best sig shop in the land. Enig makes the sweetest sigs in the league. Not much more to say.[/li]
@Lowlycrib, Shop
  • Lowly won best series for his card series and his shop makes a lot of these.[/li]
And the Efteling for Best Sig Shop goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@enigmatic![/div]

— — — — —

Best Graphic

This category honors the single best graphic produced during the season. (Editor’s note: Apologies for wonky formatting, we encountered last minute technical difficulties)

@caltroit_red_flames, Link
@Eco, Link
@infinitempg, [Image: qpwPJvD.png]
@enigmatic, [Image: tZkLavC.png]
@Lowlycrib, [Image: nao407Xh.jpg]

And the Efteling for Best Graphic goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@Eco![/div]

— — — — —

Best Artist

This category honors the most distinguished artist over the past year. The above work speaks for itself.

@KillKillKill
@Lowlycrib
@Eco
@enigmatic

And the Efteling for Best Artist goes to...

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@enigmatic![/div]

— — — — —

Lifetime Achievement Award

The Lifetime Achievement Award specifically recognizes achievement in the realm of media that falls outside of the first ten awards. This award is given once a year to an individual for significant contributions to the league media - whether that be outstanding content from the first fourteen years of media, an impressive career track record of excellence, or a formative effect on the media landscape.

This year’s recipient of the Efteling Lifetime Achievement Award is…

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]@JKortesi81![/div]

I have to give a huge shoutout to my current boss and Media Head JoeK. He has served as the head of the media team since August 8, 2018, over a year of service to the league, and has contributed countless hours towards keeping the media machine up and running. His stewardship and hard work has helped to make the media as respected and influential as it is today, and has ensured that people receive compensation for their efforts in a consistent and timely manner. On top of that, he also is the host of The Joe K NSFL Podcast, two time nominee and S16 recipient of Best Media Article (Series) and the league’s premiere podcast. For his work as Media Head and as a content creator in his own right, JKortesi81 is incredibly deserving of the Lifetime Achievement Award.

~ ~ ~

Congratulations to @JuOSu, @JKortesi81, @iamslm22, @`woelker11`, @IsaStarcrossed, @KillKillKill, @Lowlycrib, @enigmatic, and @Eco for your Efteling victories. Congrats to everyone else who was nominated, and to all those who contributed to the media scene in any fashion this year. Your work is commendable, and I applaud your efforts.

On to Season 17!

Code:
Big shout out to Big Red for helping out with this. Graders, please give him the payout for the graphics sections.

P.S. Oh shit I almost forgot, @ScorpXCracker wins the Efteling for Most Rambling Article. Take your cardboard trophy home and never write another spite article again, you made me want to gouge my eyes out.

— — — — —

This article was brought to you by the B&M Media Group.

B&M Media:
“Introducing the Ultoriginal”
”The 1st Annual Efteling Media Awards, Recognizing Achievement in the League”

The Nest:
“Where Each DSFL Team Stands Going into Week Three, The Nest Issue I”
“Despite Loss, League Is Still Under Marshal Law, The Nest Issue II”
”Ranking S15 NSFL RB Prospects, One Last Time, The Nest Issue III”
”A Triple Topic Takedown of the Upcoming Draft, The Nest Draft Special Edition”

Legacy Articles:
“RB Morgan Marshall Declares for the Draft”
“RB Morgan Marshall - Pre-Draft Presser”
“Forgotten Prospects of the S14 DSFL Draft”
“Ranking S14 DSFL RB Prospects”
“Ranking S14 DSFL RB Prospects, Vol. II: Electric Boogaloo”
“An Open Letter from Morgan Marshall”
“MVP Candidate Morgan Marshall Holds a Presser”

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - ScorpXCracker - 08-23-2019

0/10 no efteling for my 10k article

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - dizzyDC - 08-23-2019

Even though I didn't win I still appreciate the recognition and this post itself deserves an award so the first ever Dizzy media award goes to you! @Baron1898

Congrats Smile

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Dylandeluxe - 08-23-2019

Honored to be nominated!

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - iamslm22 - 08-23-2019

Thanks for the award! I set out to have a much bigger media presence with SLM but haven’t had the energy. Glad the presser was helpful!

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - SwagSloth - 08-23-2019

Thanks for the shout-out. Tons of great articles. Congrats to everyone who was mentioned!

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Eco - 08-24-2019

Came in here assuming that I got tagged because I helped BigRed out, then realized that I won an Efteling! Thank you guys so much!

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Hallmonitor_20 - 08-24-2019

Thanks for the nominations, it's really an honor.

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - Mooty99 - 08-24-2019

Great work as usual, honoured just to be nominated and really please to see my boys JKortesi81 and killkillkill be recognised for their amazing work

*The 2nd Annual Efteling Media Awards - 37thchamber - 08-24-2019

I kinda wish these awards had been around from the beginning. I don't get the time to read everything so having the best stuff highlighted is handy.