International Simulation Football League
*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign (/showthread.php?tid=15288)

*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - slothfacekilla - 08-30-2019

Even though I am in the big league NSFL these days, I find that fans always want to talk to me about one thing: how amazing my DSFL Season 15 was. Although the Tijuana Luchadores fell short of the ultimate goal of the Ultimini, I was able to scoop up the Defensive Player of the Year award at the award ceremony thanks in large part to setting the Tijuana single season sack record. So, to satiate the fans I wanted to do a beautiful retrospective of my award winning linebacking season with the Lucha. How glorious it was!

Game 1 vs. the Kansas City Coyotes (Loss, 23-7)

As a team we had a slow start to the season opening up with a loss at home to Kansas City. Unfortunately as a defense we did allow 23 points which wasn't ideal. But there was a bright spot... I was named the Defensive Player of the Game, so I was happy enough with my personal start. I tied for the most Lucha tackles with 11 on the game, but I also added 2 sacks and a single pass defense. This was very encouraging for me because I came into the year wanting to get after opposing quarterbacks, and I can't be angry with a couple sacks to start. I was disappointed not to add any tackles for loss, but no one is perfect I guess. I hoped to build off this strong start and hopefully get the team their first win.

Game 2 vs. the Palm Beach Solar Bears (Win, 39-13)
From a team perspective, this was much better not only with a win, but from the defensive side of the ball where we only gave up 13 points. Hooray! I actually did not have my best game though. While I paced the entire team with 9 tackles on the game, I didn't actually record any other stats! Quick shout out to our beast of an offense, especially that run game, that limited the work the defense had to put in this season (hell for this game we had about 13 more minutes of possession!)....the other team's leading tackler had to make 19 tackles this game! To be honest I think people with large tackle totals are just compensating for uh... other areas. After celebrating this win I had to get back in the gym and work on my pass rush moves if I wanted to consider this season a success.

Game 3 vs. the San Antonio Marshalls (Win, 34-14)
Another big road win for the Lucha with the defense holding the Marshalls to 14 points, you love to see it. This was another low tackle total for the Lucha defense as a whole, I led the team with 9 tackles for the second game in a row. Luckily, this game I added in another sack and a pass defense to the resume. I was pretty pleased that I rounded out my sack total to match my game total after three weeks. I started hot, but at least I'm at a sack per game pace! I was mildly shocked I had a pass defense again, I probably just jumped while trying to make a sack or some crap. Sadly still no tackles for loss.

Game 4 vs. the San Antonio Marshalls (Loss, 21-10)
The second game of a home and home back to back goes to the road team again sadly, with the Lucha defense surrendering 21 points at home, ay dios mío!!! I managed to be named Defensive Player of the Game again... maybe I can only do this in losses? That aint justice. So oddly enough for the third game in a row I am leading the Lucha with 9 whole tackles... I'm noticing a trend. I kept my sack per game pace by adding a single sack this game, but I also was able to make my first tackle for loss! Way to go me! I hoped my player would be active in the opposing backfield this season and it is starting to come together. I felt like my season was coming together here.

Game 5 vs. the Norfolk Seawolves (Win, 21-14)
The Lucha road warriors rack up another win stateside with a good defensive showing against the ocean pups, only giving up 14 points. The Defensive Player of the Game came from the losing Norfolk side so that is a funny trend so far in writing this media (not really funny I guess more of just a coincidence... Or is it like rain on your wedding day? A little too ironic, don't you think?). I managed to tie for the Lucha lead in tackles... with a measly 8 tackles oh no I got one less tackle to break my streak why god why?!!? I didn't even add any sacks or tackles for loss so this was a very rough game for your boy. I drank a lot of tequila once we got back into Tijuana, and thankfully that helped me get over it all (I don't remember much about the night).

Game 6 vs. the Palm Beach Solar Bears (Win, 30-13)
Another big win for the Luchadores with the defense playing well.... and look at that I was the Defensive Player of the Game from the winning team! That Alanis Morissette is full of shit after all. I broke back into the land of double digit tackles with 10, which led the team thankfully. I finally got back to the quarterback this game, adding one sack to my stat line. Not out of this world, but I was happy to be back to having a solid game for the defense, and continuing my quest to murder a quarterback before the season is done.

Game 7 vs. the Portland Pythons (Loss, 34-31)
Big ouch on this one, not only with the Lucha losing a winning streak on the road, but the defense gave up a good amount of points. I knew I should not have drank before this game. This was another example of a game where the Tijuana offense controlled the time of possession (once again almost 14 more minutes of possession than the Pythons), allowing the opposing team to rack up a bunch of tackles past the line of scrimmage. I ended up matching the entire Portland defense combined with 2 sacks and a tackle for loss on the game, and I ended up pacing the Lucha defense with 9 total tackles (odd how the number nine keeps popping up). So while the overall results weren't there, I was extremely happy with my two sacks and tackle for loss (especially since that was Portland's entire production in our backfield). I didn't have to drink too much tequila after that realization.

Game 8 vs. the Norfolk Seawolves (Win, 31-0)
Here here, a big Tijuana home win to go along with a shutout for the defense! Also I was named Defensive Player of the Game! Back to giving it to the good players, nice. Tijuana had a solid advantage in the time of possession again (damn it Gump!) so 10 total tackles paced our defense... but not by me! I only had 8 tackles, but I racked up another sack and TWO tackles for loss. Wow mama I made it! This was a solid back to back games with the Portland loss for my production in the backfield. I was feeling myself so much that night that I hired a mariachi band to serenade me while I blacked out on Pacifico's. Allegedly I tried to "sack" a small person lucha wrestler but we don't talk about that.

Game 9 vs. the Kansas City Coyotes (Loss, 23-17)
This was a heartbreaking road loss for Tijuana as the result of an interception returned for a touchdown by the Coyotes late in the fourth quarter. This was a game where Tijuana did NOT dominate the time of possession (over seven minutes less!) and that showed in our top tackler having 17 tackles, while I checked in with 11 in second place. I added another sack to my illustrious season total, but unfortunately I was lazy and got no tackles for loss. Is this the sadness people feel when they are regulated to making tackles past the line of scrimmage all game? Boringgggggggg.

Game 10 vs. the Palm Beach Solar Bears (Win, 33-25)
The Lucha continued the win-loss-win trend that they developed late in the season with a close-ish win over the Sun Cubs on the road. Unfortunately we gave up 25 points, so not our most solid defensive effort. I did check back in with another Defensive Player of the Game award here, which was nice even with the big point total given up. Palm Beach controlled the ball with about 17(!!!) more minutes of possession than the Lucha, which led to me racking up a team leading 14 tackles on the day... not too shabby right? Well then I also had a sack and three (yes you read that correctly, THREE) tackles for loss. Palm Beach as a team had one all game. I stayed after the game to sign autographs for their entire team and almost missed the team bus.

Game 11 vs. the San Antonio Marshalls (Loss, 30-20)
Can we not have one winning streak what the hell yo? Even worse.... the defensive player of the game went to some inactive CB scrub. Disgusting. The Luchadores were once again dwarfed in time of possession, allowing for inflated tackle totals on our side, so yay if you are into that sort of thing! I led the defensive squad with 16 total tackles, by far the most on either side. I also added in a sack and two tackles for loss, so I was pretty pleased with that performance. And that is not even taking into account my single pass defense, I was a real renaissance man this game. Sucks we couldn't pull out the win though. I'm toying with the idea of playing quarterback as well.

Game 12 vs. the Palm Beach Solar Bears (Win, 28-7)
Another big win, and a big showing by the Tijuana defense! We only gave them a pity touchdown with 31 seconds left in the game because we saw a few of their players crying on the opposing sideline. We are for the kids after all! I was okay this game, but I managed to collect another Defensive Player of the Game award for my efforts. Man I need to buy a new trophy case. We were back to controlling the ball more than the other team, but I managed to tie the opposing teams leading tackler with 11 tackles (which also paced the Lucha). I was able to add in another sack and another tackle for loss as well to round out my stat line. It feels good eating all these sack lunches I must say.

Game 13 vs. the San Antonio Marshalls (Win, 42-13)
Back to back wins! It felt like it was forever since we experienced that. Also, great showing by the defense only giving up 13 points, way to go team! I was nursing a hell of a hangover this game, so while I did lead the team in total tackles... I only made 9 tackles and did not add in any other stats of note. This was when I was really trying to turn it on at the end of the year so it was super disappointing to not get any sacks or tackles for loss. I can't imagine living a life like this. Luckily my teammates took me out to see my favorite donkey show to cheer me up after the game.

Game 14 vs. the Portland Pythons (Win, 17-10)
And we close out the season with a three game winning streak, as well as holding the Pythons to 10 measly points in front of the fantastic Tijuana fans. The time of possession was fairly even for each team, and we saw that reflected in the similar tackle totals for both defensive squads (shout out to Portland's Faux, a great linebacker, who won player of the game with 8 tackles and 2 sacks). I had the same amount of tackles as the defensive player of the game with 8, but I only had 1 sack compared to Faux's 2 (he also had a tackle for loss). So kudos to him! I was hoping to go out with more than a bang of just one sack, but in the end I was happy with the win and dominating defensive performance to wrap up the regular season.

So to put a nice little bow on my season, I ended up with 142 tackles (6th in the league, 6th among linebackers), 10 tackles for loss (11th in the league, 1st among linebackers), 13 sacks (1st in the league, 1st among linebackers, next closest player had 7 and that was a bot), and 3 passes defended (somehow this was in the top 10 for linebackers if my quick browsing of the index was correct). All in all I set out exactly what I wanted to do in my final DSFL season, sans winning the Ultimini for the Luchadores. I'll always have these fond memories of winning linebacker of the year and defensive player of the year!

*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - PaytonM34 - 08-30-2019

Unanimously, and 100% undisputed , the best defensive player of that S15 season by far. Slothface is a Tijuana legend

*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - Rising Equinox - 08-30-2019

(08-30-2019, 02:59 PM)PaytonM34 Wrote:Unanimously, and 100% undisputed , the best defensive player of that S15 season by far. Slothface is a Tijuana legend

*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - PaytonM34 - 08-30-2019

(08-30-2019, 08:45 PM)Rising Equinox Wrote:0.0

*A Retrospective Of My Amazing S15 DPOTY Campaign - Huskies311 - 08-30-2019

S15 DSFL had some absurd linebacker play