International Simulation Football League
*Looking at the OCO/BAL Trade - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Looking at the OCO/BAL Trade (/showthread.php?tid=15482)

*Looking at the OCO/BAL Trade - goodvsevil1275 - 09-15-2019

Hello all. Today, I felt a desire to spread some knowledge to myself and others about the recent block buster trade that hit the National Sim Football League and I am fueled by that spicy 1.5x media bonus. The trade, of course, is the one between the Baltimore Hawks and the Orange County Otters. The big reason why I wanted to cover this trade is because I actually recognized Sunnycurse’s name and since I don’t know much about the NSFL, I might as well start with something I recognize.

The Trade

BAL receive WR Sunnycursed and S18 OCO 3rd

OCO receive WR Yulic Nagasawa, HB Corey Trevor, and S18 BAL 1st

The Players

Hawks:
Sunnycursed – a player so good that he is the meat and potatoes of this trade all by himself, Sunnycursed is a wide receiver all the way back from S11. Sunnycursed is a very large, very fast, and very maxed player who gets bonus points from coming from THE Ohio State University. Boasting a blazing 100 speed rating and being maxed in everything besides pass blocking, kick power, and kick accuracy, Sunnycursed has really put his 1222 TPE to good use. By the way, that 1222 TPE puts Sunnycursed at the sixth highest total in the league. So far on the season, Sunnycursed has amassed 49 catches for 873 yards and a staggering 9 touchdowns through eleven games. It is clear that Sunnycursed is a top player in the league and a player of this caliber being traded should capture everyone’s attention.

Otters:
Yulic Nagasawa – from the same year and position as Sunnycursed but with less than half of the TPE, Nagasawa is a route runner hailing from Tokyo. Being last active more than half of a real life year ago, this is an inactive player that will not improve and will regress hard. Smaller, slower, weaker, and overall way worse than Sunnycursed has predictably fared worse this season than his counterpart. Putting up 24 catches, 284 yards, and 4 touchdowns, Nagasawa has less than half of the production of Sunnycursed. There is not much more to be said about this player. It is clear that he is just a side piece to the BAL first round pick.

Corey Trevor – yet another lackluster piece thrown in this trade, Trevor is a sub-200 TPE S13 halfback who’s best trait is their middling speed. Without a question, the most desirable train of this player is their birthdate of 4/20/69. Surprisingly for a player of his caliber, Trevor has managed to hit the 400 yard rushing mark this season in 11 games as the second string halfback for the Hawks and even added 3 touchdowns. He will continue being the backup for the Otters. It should be noted that many players in the upcoming S18 draft have surpassed Trevor’s TPE total.

The Picks

Hawks:
S18 OCO 3rd – While it is way too early to predict who these picks will turn out to be, it is possible to get a clue for who the teams will want to take, assuming that these picks aren’t traded. For example, as things stand right now, this Orange County 3rd is projected to end up at the #25 slot. However, since the Otters unquestionably got worse this year because of this trade, this pick could slide up to #24. Though admittedly in such a loaded draft class, the difference between 24 and 25 is negligible. The three biggest needs for the Hawks are at defensive end, linebacker, and defensive end again. Luckily for the Hawks, the S18 draft class is loaded on defense. I believe that the Hawks could look to grab Marlo Smart, linebacker from Norfolk, or Junior Lopez, linebacker for Tijuana, or Fabricio Baldari, defensive end out of Norfolk. These players might not be the highest earning but they are reliable and that’s all you can ask for out of a third round pick. A possible sleeper pick for this spot could be defensive end Mike Franchet depending on how much the team values activity versus TPE.

Otters:
The real prize in this trade for the Otters is the BAL 1st round pick. This pick could land anywhere between #10 and #6. I predict that the Hawks finish the season strong and finish 9-4, which could very well make the pick land in the #9 slot. In most drafts, picking at nine would result in grabbing an active, but not max-earning player. But S18 isn’t most drafts. At nine in this draft, you are getting a very near max earning player almost anywhere you want. Looking at this young roster the Otters have, their biggest needs are running back, secondary, and tight end. I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of Marcella Toriki, Pete Parker, Net Gaines, or Korrin Abernathy at this pick. A young team like the Otters would be very happy to roster any of these players.

The Outlook

Hawks:
The obvious goal for the Baltimore Hawks here is to win the Ultimus. The Hawks made two large trades, bringing in Vander Jones who is on the verge of retiring and Sunnycursed, a top WR with a history of free agency antics, and having these players gives Balltimore one guaranteed year of contention. After this year, Baltimore’s aging roster will start to plateau and without their first round draft pick, it could be difficult to find as much new talent as possible, even with taking back a 3rd round pick. This is an aggressive move to make so late in the season and the only way to call this trade a success for the Hawks is a championship.

Otters:
Unlike the Hawks, the Otters are in it for the long haul. With a young roster and a very young quarterback, the Otters are focused on turning veteran talent into young players and picks, which they did here. Despite taking on two lackluster inactives, the Otters were able to turn an S11 receiver into a top S18 talent that will have a large impact for the team for around eight more seasons. Despite being in the playoff hunt, the Otters did not think they could contend with teams like Arizona, Yellowknife, and even Baltimore, causing them to blow it up before it is too late and successfully acquiring draft capital. The first round pick will turn into a max earning player more likely than not. The biggest negative from the Otters that I can see in this trade is giving up their mid-round pick, which in the S18 draft, will still be a very solid player. Even so, it is worth it to turn a free agent wide receiver and a 3rd round pick into a 1st round pick.

The Final Impressions

When I first looked at the trade, I thought this was a clear win for the Baltimore Hawks of the NSFL due to acquiring a top tier player for basically just a first round pick, After reviewing the trade, I want to say that the Orange County Otters are the clear winners of the trade. They have set themselves up for future success but giving up a player that they didn’t need in a year where they weren’t going to win. There is almost no way that Orange County can mess up this draft pick which is why I feel comfortable with calling them the clear winners of the trade. Regardless, this could still be a good trade for the Baltimore Hawks if they are able to come out with the Ultimus this season. After such a blockbuster trade, I am sure that everyone is excited to see what these two teams can do with their shiny new players.