International Simulation Football League
Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea (/showthread.php?tid=1549)

Pages: 1 2

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - Ben - 06-27-2017

In a shock announcement today, Wellington Hurricanes and All Blacks Loose Forward, Ardie Savea has announced his move to American Football. He is hoping to secure a contract in the NSFL as a prospect in the upcoming draft and as the second former Rugby player in the league. After having the way paved by the success in the NSFL of Luke Tiernan, Savea was quick to set aside comparisons to Jarryd Hayne’s (failed) move from Rugby League to the NFL, reminding press that he was coming from Rugby Union and taking more time to adjust to the different game by taking part in prospect games and rookie camps before entering the draft. “You never know with those Aussies” he added.
Currently defining himself as a Running Back, Savea has mentioned he is open to playing any position coaches may deem best for the team and for his skill set. During his rugby days, Savea was known for his powerful running style and this coupled with good ball skills due to the more open game that rugby is may lead to his emergence as an All Purpose Running Back. Modelling his game off of LeVeon Bell would help with this and when asked about the elite NFL RB, Savea was quick to note that Bell played in Yellow and Black just as his previous team The Hurricanes had. Jarryd Hayne was again brought up when asked if he was comfortable returning kicks or playing in special teams. Savea reiterated that he was happy to fill any role the coach wished and would do his best to excel in that role. Special teams may prove an excellent fit for the intriguing prospect because as previously mentioned, rugby being a more free flowing and open play sport, his skills lend to both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.
When asked if brother Julian would be joining him in switching codes, Ardie said it would be up to him to decide that, but thought he might be sticking with the All Blacks. After earning the nickname “The Bus” for his running style, Julian would be one to watch if he ever did make himself available.
Ardie showed a great knowledge of American Football and said that it had a bigger following in New Zealand than some people may think. He mentioned trying to promote Rugby to his league mates, should he make it, and also didn’t rule out a return to the sport in future but was quick to assure that it didn’t mean he wasn’t committed and was 100% focused on trying to compete at the highest level possible in American Football.

The floor is now open for any members of the NSFL press to ask questions:
“Fire away” said Ardie with a grin.

[Image: 1473915656980.jpg]

Code:
463 words

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - Ltsmashie - 06-27-2017

John Thomson from America Press:

Q: Ardie with the current large amount of running backs in the league - would you not feel that you would get better game time in a different postition? Surely Tight End or Wide Receiver would be a great fit for you, or even a move to Corner Back where you could showcase some of your big hitting style?

Q: You name checked Irishman Luke Tiernan, one of quite a number of rugby converts playing in the NSFL, how do you rate his performance so far this season?

Q: Which of the current teams would you most like to play for? Or would you prefer to be starting with a new team (expansion of the NSFL was announced earlier today)

Q: Will you return to life in Rugby Union if your NSFL career fails to bare fruit?

Best of luck

(06-28-2017, 05:05 AM)Ltsmashie Wrote:John Thomson from America Press:

Q: Ardie with the current large amount of running backs in the league - would you not feel that you would get better game time in a different postition? Surely Tight End or Wide Receiver would be a great fit for you, or even a move to Corner Back where you could showcase some of your big hitting style?

Q: You name checked Irishman Luke Tiernan, one of quite a number of rugby converts playing in the NSFL, how do you rate his performance so far this season?

Q: Which of the current teams would you most like to play for? Or would you prefer to be starting with a new team (expansion of the NSFL was announced earlier today)

Q: Will you return to life in Rugby Union if your NSFL career fails to bare fruit?

Best of luck

To be honest I haven't managed to look at a huge amount of rosters so I wasn't too sure on scarcity of positions or any of that. Running back is probably where I feel I could bring the most but as I mentioned I'm happy to do what's best for the team - I would love to play as both a Wide receiver or Corner back and no matter where I'm put I'll be out there competing.
Like I said I haven't seen too many players or rosters so I actually didn't know there was other ex-rugby players in the league! Could you point towards a few? Luke Tiernan just stood out to me as someone who had been drafted early and had been performing at this level, also I admired how he played as a Running back since that's where I saw myself playing.
Um, I like the Otters and the SaberCats, also probably the Hawks. It will be cool to see the new teams and that would be a good way to join the league I think, so I can grow with the team. But to be honest I'll be stoked to play for any of these teams I think it's a great league in that way that anyone could beat anyone on a given week.
Honestly I can see myself playing rugby again and maybe even just in the offseason but right now I'm fully committed to this cause so I won't be leaving just because it doesn't work out 100% straight away. I'm not going to quit like Jarryd Hayne did.

(Out of character: If I was to actually change position would I be better to do it sooner or maybe wait until closer to the draft after talking to GMs etc.?)

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - Ltsmashie - 06-27-2017

Out of character - if I were you I'd definitely consider switching away from RB - on my team alone we have three whoa re all splitting carries. At the moment there is only one team who is giving the vast majority of carries to one player, and there are another few rb's signed up to play next season.

By all means stick with it, but if you want your chance to shine you are probably better looking at moving to TE - plus I think it would suit Ardie, vertical threat TE would be him all over.

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - RainDelay - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 03:04 PM)Ltsmashie Wrote:Out of character - if I were you I'd definitely consider switching away from RB - on my team alone we have three whoa re all splitting carries. At the moment there is only one team who is giving the vast majority of carries to one player, and there are another few rb's signed up to play next season.

By all means stick with it, but if you want your chance to shine you are probably better looking at moving to TE - plus I think it would suit Ardie, vertical threat TE would be him all over.

Two more teams will have room for carries though.

(06-28-2017, 12:16 PM)RainDelay Wrote:Two more teams will have room for carries though.

Yeah I think I'll stick to RB for now but try to let teams that might be interested in drafting me that I'm happy at WR/CB or even TE

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - Admin - 06-27-2017

(06-27-2017, 05:59 PM)ardiesavea Wrote:Yeah I think I'll stick to RB for now but try to let teams that might be interested in drafting me that I'm happy at WR/CB or even TE
You're starting in the prospects game! Get over and watch that!

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - WinstonKodogo - 06-27-2017

Hey Ardie thanks for doing this.

1. What skills do you think transfer easily between codes for a running back?
2. Stephen Harris is another convert from union who was touted as being the next François Steyn,why do you think the league is drawing such a large number of converts especially a number of talented youngesters?
3. Do you worry that leaving the sports during a Lions tour puts the All Blacks at a disadvantage? How did the squad react?
4. Any players you are looking to style you game off of?

(06-28-2017, 01:19 PM)WinstonKodogo Wrote:Hey Ardie thanks for doing this. 

1. What skills do you think transfer easily between codes for a running back?
2. Stephen Harris is another convert from union who was touted as being the next François Steyn,why do you think the league is drawing such a large number of converts especially a number of talented youngesters?
3. Do you worry that leaving the sports during a Lions tour puts the All Blacks at a disadvantage? How did the squad react?
4. Any players you are looking to style you game off of?

I think I can read the play and how it develops from being in open play in rugby, then just knowing how to hit the gap and beat a man. Being physical as well and not shying away from contact, I've got a decent fend, or as you guys call it "stiff arm"
I think this league especially is drawing players as theres still some money involved but it doesn't quite have the pressure the NFL places on you to succeed immediately and due to the age of the league I think it means I can grow with a team and really be a start to something.
(Hahaha I actually didn't think anyone would know about the Lions tour)
Yeah I'm really gutted I can't be a part of the tour with the boys, it was really good to get that first win at Eden Park. The squad were a little disappointed but they knew this was something I had always been looking at doing. The All Blacks have so much quality though I don't think I'll be missed, the team is a unit and one player missing won't change that.
I really enjoy watching LeVeon Bell play, his patience is amazing so if I can manage to do anything like that I'd be stoked. Also David Johnson stands out to me as someone I could really model my game off of.
Cheers!

Rugby Star Changes Code: Ardie Savea - WinstonKodogo - 06-27-2017

OOC: I'm Scottish so supporting Greig and the boys. Gutted Hoggy got injured he'd be a thorn in the side of the All Blacks.