International Simulation Football League
*NFL Week 9 and a NSFL Comparison - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *NFL Week 9 and a NSFL Comparison (/showthread.php?tid=16303)

*NFL Week 9 and a NSFL Comparison - ddrector - 11-05-2019

Week 9 of the NFL is in the books and that means all the teams have now played at least 8 games. We are also nearing the end of the 18th NSFL season with only 2 weeks remaining in the regular season as I write this paragraph, which means by the time I post this it will probably be time for the playoffs. Some major upsets happened in this weeks games, and that definitely didn’t help my picks as I didn’t do well at all. I’ll go over that at the end, but for now let’s look at all the games.

49ers over Cardinals

Thursday night games continue to be the bane of the football world. 3 days is not enough rest and you will continue to hear me gripe on this for eternity. The 49ers remain perfect after taking care of business against division rival Cardinals. This game was 28 to 14 going into the 4th quarter, but the Cardinals were able to score 11 points to make it a close game at the end. Kenyan Drake had a great performance in his first game as a Cardinal, but it wasn’t enough to beat the undefeated 49ers. The 49ers are now the last remaining undefeated team, and they play the Seahawks in what should be a very tough test. The second half of the 49ers schedule is definitely the tougher of the two halves. It will be interesting to see how they fare against tougher competition. The Cardinals are now 3-5-1 in Kyler Murray’s rookie year and travel to Tampa to take on the Bucs next week. That will be a tough test as the Bucs have a solid offense as long as Jameis Winston doesn’t turn the ball over numerous times.

The Wraiths and the Copperheads don’t actually play this season until week 12, which happens in a few hours from the time I’m writing this. I will go ahead and assume the Wraiths will win this game by multiple scores like maybe 40 to 17 or so. In their Season 17 matchup the Wraiths actually lost to the Copperheads at home 28 to 21. After taking a 21 to 16 lead into the half the Wraiths weren’t able to score again and the Copperheads put up 12 points in the second half to win the game. This is contrary to what happened in the NFL, so the comps are starting off 0-1 this week. I’m way too lazy to go back and fix this after the games tonight, so this is staying even though the result will probably be different by the time I post this.

Texans over Jaguars

London got to see their annual Jaguars home game as the Texans took care of business against the Jags and took sole lead of the AFC South. The Texans defense kept the Jaguars in check as they were only able to score 3 points. The Texans had success in both the rushing and passing game and skated to an easy 26 to 3 victory. Deshaun Watson is definitely in the running for MVP at this point in the season as he has the Texans off to a 6-3 record and in prime position to be in the playoffs. Gardner Minshew showed why he isn’t going to be the starter after Nick Foles returns from injury, but the Jaguars are still 4-5 and not out of the playoff race yet.

The Outlaws and Copperheads split their two games this season with each team winning at home. Both games were decided by one score or less and could have easily gone either way. In their recent matchup in Arizona the Copperheads were able to win the turnover battle by picking off two of Reese’s passes, which might have been the difference in the game. In the first game the Outlaws outgained the Copperheads by over 150 yards, which is the biggest difference in that one. This result chocks this one up as a tie I guess, so the comps are now 0-1-1 for the week.

Bills over Redskins

The Bills improve to 6-2 in this get right game against the now 1-8 Redskins. The Bills are in prime position to be the top AFC wildcard team. At 6-2 they have a better record than most of the division leaders. Devin Singletary continues to improve as a rookie running back, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see his name near the top of the charts for fantasy football next year. The Redskins seem to have decided to give Dwayne Haskins a chance to show the team what he has for the rest of the year, so they can decide whether they need to invest in pieces around him or take a new quarterback in what looks to be a loaded quarterback class in the upcoming 2020 draft. The Bills next three games are at Cleveland, at Miami, and at home against the Broncos. They could easily be at 9-2 going into the last 5 games of the season. The Redskins have the Jets next week in a game against one win teams. Which team will suck less? My bet is on the Redskins probably, since the Jets just lost to the Dolphins.

The Second Line and SaberCats faced off twice in season 18 with the Second Line winning both matchups. In week 2 on the road the Second Line shut out the SaberCats to the tune of 37 to 0. A few weeks later in New Orleans the Second Line squeaked out a close victory winning 21 to 18. The comps are 1-1-1 now.

Vikings over Chiefs

The Chiefs were able to get a big win over the Vikings without Patrick Mahomes. An impressive win that shows how good of a coach Andy Reid is. Harrison Butker hit three long field goals in the second half of this game, including the game winner. This was a very back and forth game with both teams taking the lead multiple times. Damien Williams broke off a 91 yard run in the middle of the third to make the score 17 to 16. A late third quarter field goal from Butker made the score 20 to 16 going into the fourth quarter, but the Vikings took the lead back with a Kyle Rudolph touchdown with 11 minutes to go in the game. Harrison Butker made two field goals in the final 2 minutes and 30 seconds to first tie the score and then take the lead as time expired. The Vikings are now 6-3 and travel to Dallas for a Sunday night matchup against a very good Cowboys team. Another tough test for a team hoping to at the very least make the wild card round. The Chiefs travel to Nashville to take on the Titans in a game they shouldn’t have too much trouble in.

The Otters were my comp for both of these teams unfortunately. The Otters are currently leading the ASFC with a 9-3 record. They have won 7 of their last 8 games with their lone loss being a 4 point game in Yellowknife. They’ve had a very impressive season, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them holding the Ultimus trophy when it’s all said and done.

Jets over Dolphins

Ryan Fitzpatrick let loose and the Dolphins found a way to get their first win of the season against the division rival Jets. Both of these teams are really bad and I don’t feel the need to spend much time on this game, but the final score was 26 to 18 and Fitzmagic threw 3 touchdowns, all in the second quarter. Both teams are now 1-7 and in position for top 5 draft picks. The Dolphins travel to Indianapolis this week and the Jets face the Giants in a home game, which is really a home game for both teams.

I compared both of these teams to the San Jose SaberCats, who are now 4-8 and on a 3 game winning streak. An impressive turnaround after starting the season 1-8. I don’t expect a similar turnaround for the Dolphins or Jets. With the last two games being ties the comps record so far this week is 1-1-3.

Eagles over Bears

An unsurprising but still extremely poor offensive performance by the Bears lead to a pretty easy win for the Eagles, who are now 5-4. The Bears drop to 3-5 with little hopes of making the playoffs as Mitchell Trubisky was under 50% passing and only 125 yards for the game. That’s simply awful. I don’t know what else to say about it. The Bears were down 19 to 0 in the third quarter before they finally scored the first of two rushing touchdowns for rookie David Montgomery. Zach Ertz did work in the passing game with over 100 yards and a touchdown. The Bears face the division rival Lions in Chicago in a must win game if they want to keep their slim playoff hopes alive. The Eagles host the Patriots in what will be a very tough test, especially since they are coming off their first loss.

The Outlaws and Yeti faced off in week 12 of season 18 and the Outlaws won by 1 point. The Outlaws took a nice 10 point lead into the half, but then the Yeti surged back with 16 unanswered points to take a 6 point lead early in the 4th quarter. A Slim Shady rushing touchdown with just over a minute remaining put the Outlaws up by a point to win the game. The comps were right on this one, so it’s 2-1-3 on the week.

Colts over Steelers

Quarterback Jacoby Brissett hurt his knee early in this game and veteran journeyman backup quarterback Brian Hoyer took over for the rest of the game for the Colts, and he actually had the Colts in position to win this game on the road, but Adam Vinatieri missed a field goal at the end of the game that would have won the game. He doesn’t have the leg he used to, and I expect him to retire at the end of the season. The Steelers without running back James Conner relied on Jaylen Samuels who caught 13 passes in this game. The Steelers are now 4-4 and still very much in the playoff race despite the loss of Ben Roethlisberger. The Colts have an easy week hosting Miami this week and the Steelers host the Rams, which will be a tough matchup.

The Hawks and Yeti faced off twice with each team winning at home. In week 7 the Yeti won the game by a field goal in overtime. In week 2 the Hawks won in a dominant game by 35 points. The Hawks are definitely the better of these two teams, but since they split I’ll mark this down as a tie, so it’s 2-1-4.

Panthers over Titans

Ladies and gentlemen, if you don’t think Christian McCaffrey has a legitimate case for MVP this season then you don’t want enough football. The kid is incredible and continues to shred defenses. He’s leading the league in yards from scrimmage by over 100 yards and the 2nd place player has played an extra game. The Titans defense is a very good defense and he still was able to get over 150 yards of offense against them. The Panthers wouldn’t be in the playoff hunt without McCaffrey, and if they do make it he should be in consideration for MVP. He added another 3 touchdowns in this game, and the Panthers improved to 5-3 while the Titans fall to 4-5. The Panthers travel to Green Bay to take on the Packers in a tough matchup and the Titans host the Chiefs which will be a very tough matchup for the Titans.

The Second Line and Butchers don’t play in season 18 until the final week of the season. In season 17 the Butchers beat the Second Line by a field goal in overtime in New Orleans. I hope the outcome of the game this season is different. The comps are 2-2-4 now.

Raiders over Lions

The Raiders won a very close game against the Lions at home to improve to 4-4. Josh Jacobs continues to be a great rookie running back with 120 yards and 2 touchdowns. Kenny Golladay had a great game through the air with 132 yards and a touchdown, but it wasn’t enough to beat the Raiders. The Lions fall to 3-4-1 on the season and they are all but out of playoff contention with how many teams are ahead of them. They travel to Chicago with a good chance to get a win in the division against a terrible offensive team in the Bears. The Raiders are in the thick of the playoff race in the AFC and host the division rival Chargers this week on Thursday night. A win here could really put them in a great place to make the playoffs.

The Second Line and Copperheads split their games this season, with both teams winning at home. The Copperheads are ahead of the Second Line in the ASFC and in position to make the playoffs this season. In week 1 The Second Line took a 10 point lead with 6 minutes to go after a Forrest Gump rushing score, but the Copperheads tried to make a comeback. They scored a touchdown with 1:24 on the clock to make in a 3 point game, but weren’t able to get the ball back and time expired. In week 8 the Copperheads were down by 1 point heading into the 4th quarter, but scored 15 straight points in the 4th quarter to win the game 42 to 28. This was a huge win for the Copperheads as they wouldn’t be in position to make the playoffs this year without this win. Another tie makes the comps 2-2-5.

Seahawks over Bucs

The Seahawks improve to 7-2 as they beat the Bucs in overtime in a game that surprised many with how well the Bucs played. The Seahawks for all they’ve done are still only going to be a wildcard team unless they find a way to beat the undefeated division rival 49ers. Russell Wilson is definitely a prime quarterback candidate for MVP this season, and might be the reason Christian McCaffrey doesn’t get MVP. The Seahawks travel to San Francisco to face the undefeated 49ers on Monday night this week. A loss would make it very hard for the Seahawks to win the division, but they will still be atop the wild card standings. The Bucs are now 2-6 with no hope of making the playoffs. The best thing they can do is play spoiler to other teams, which they have a prime chance to do in two weeks against the division rival Saints. They host the Cardinals this week in a game that will go either way based on how Jameis Winston plays. Winston is the ultimate wildcard in the NFL going from an amazing performance one week to a 5 turnover game the next. He is like Charlie Kelly in Always Sunny.

The Otters and Liberty faced off in week 2 with a dominant performance from the Otters in a 31 to 7 victory. The Liberty didn’t score until there were 12 seconds left in the game. The Otters scored early an often scoring double digits in both the 1st and 3rd quarters. They relied on the ground game heavily as they controlled the clock the entire game. Another correct comp makes it 3-2-5 for the week.

Browns over Broncos

The Browns weren’t even able to beat the Broncos backup quarterback who most people hadn’t even heard of before. Brandon Allen only had to pass the ball 20 times and ended up with almost 200 yards and 2 touchdowns. Noah Fant had a 75 yard receiving touchdown in the 2nd quarter that put the Broncos up 14 to 3. The Browns settled for many field goals that ended up costing them this game. The Browns are now 2-6 and their season is pretty much over. They host the Bills this week in what will be a tough matchup against a very good defense. The Broncos are 3-6 and travel to Minnesota to face a very good Vikings team.

The Butchers and Liberty have battled twice in season 18 with the Liberty winning both games. In week 5 the Liberty won 38 to 24 in a game they had the lead in for almost the entire game. They never trailed and were only tied for a small amount of time in the first quarter before a pick six made it 14 to 7. In week 10 the Liberty again took the lead in the first quarter and never gave it up and won 28 to 19. My prediction was wrong here, but my comp was right and is now 4-2-5 for the week.

Packers over Chargers

The Chargers shut the Packers offense down, which was a huge surprise. The Packers only managed 11 points and didn’t score until the end of the third quarter. The Packers are now 7-2 and still lead the NFC North and they host the Panthers this week, which should be a good game. The Chargers are 4-5 and right in the thick of the AFC playoff race and travel to Oakland this week.

The Wraiths and Yeti have faced each other twice in season 18 with the Wraiths winning both games by multiple scores. In week 5 they won 24 to 13 and in week 8 they won 28 to 7. The Packers were expected to win this game, but surprisingly looked terrible for the first time this season and now the comp is 4-3-5.

Patriots over Ravens

It happened everyone! The Patriots finally lost and have proven they aren’t unbeatable. Thank goodness there is hope. The Ravens won this game in dominant fashion on the back of Lamar Jackson. He had a passing touchdown and 2 rushing touchdowns. The Patriots hadn’t given up more than 14 points on the season so far and the Ravens blew that number out of the water in this surprise victory. The Ravens improve to 6-2 and travel to Cincinnati to face the division rival and winless Bengals in what should be an easy win. The Patriots travel to Philadelphia in a Superbowl rematch in a game I will be surprised if they don’t completely dominate as there is nothing like a Bill Belichick coached team coming off a loss.

The Wraiths and Hawks have battled twice this season and the Hawks actually gave the Wraiths their only loss in week 1 on the road. It was an extremely close game that went to overtime where the Hawks were able to score a touchdown in overtime to win the game 33 to 27. Later in the season the Wraiths got revenge and won 30 to 17 at home. Even though they split I’m giving the comps this win since it lines up so nicely with how the Hawks gave the Wraiths their only loss and so did the Ravens to the Patriots. 5-3-5

Cowboys over Giants

The Cowboys dominated the Giants in the fourth quarter of what was actually a close game for three quarters. They outscored the Giants 21 to 3 With 2 Prescott passing touchdowns and a 63 yard fumble return for a touchdown to win 37 to 18. The Cowboys are now 5-3 and host the 6-3 Vikings next week on Sunday night in what should be a good competitive game. The Giants play an away game against the Jets, which is nice since that basically means they have an extra home game this season. They shouldn’t have any issue beating the Jets.

The Outlaws and Butchers played in week 1 and the Butchers actually won in a dominant game 38 to 16. They took a 24 to 7 lead into the half and the Outlaws couldn’t figure out a way to stop the Butchers. A surprising outcome considering the Outlaws are now 8-4 while the Butchers are only 4-8. The comps for this week ended up a terrible 5-4-5. I might have to figure out a way to make there be less ties. Maybe if the teams split I will only count the game that was played at the home teams stadium.

Another week in the books and one of my worst performances as far as picking who is going to win the games. Hopefully next week will be better. Here’s my picks for week 10.

Chargers over Raiders
Packers over Panthers
Lions over Bears
Ravens over Bengals
Bills over Browns
Chiefs over Titans
Saints over Falcons
Giants over Jets
Bucs over Cardinals
Colts over Dolphins
Rams over Steelers
Vikings over Cowboys
49ers over Seahawks

*NFL Week 9 and a NSFL Comparison - IsaStarcrossed - 11-05-2019

As always man, wicked idea. I love these and love that you've continued producing them!