International Simulation Football League
Austin's Rule Proposals - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Austin's Rule Proposals (/showthread.php?tid=16601)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Austin's Rule Proposals - AdamS - 11-22-2019

I'm sharing them now for any discussion the community might want to add before they're actually due tomorrow. I welcome the input of you all.

Create an awards committee.

An independent committee of 5-7 individuals that are not HO members or GMs to nominate, discuss, and vote on awards. A group who is dedicated to this specific task can go deeper into the award minutiae and give one of the league's biggest events a 100% focus. GMs and HO members simply cannot do this. Evidence of this is as simple as the fact that somebody misses their vote almost every season. If you want more look at the fact that measures have had to be put into place to stop people from simply copying other votes. Multiple times.

Despite any myths that a committee solves nothing, what it solves is the problem of the current voting system basically ensuring that the awards will never be a full focus. The current voting pool simply doesn't have time amidst all of the other offseason events to really dig beyond basic statlines. An awards committee could start the minute the regular season ended and go into stats, games, and how the performances effected individual games and season.

Ideally the committee would be vetted and requires volunteers who are former gms or ho members or department heads or league mvps or any number of other potential qualifications. I would argue that we don't pay them now, and if we decide to change that later we can reimburse them.

Change the NSFL name and acronym.

Yet more people have joined and complained about the terrible acronym. Over the past 2+ years it has been one of the most consistent complaints and has come up in every recruiting scenario. It's time to stop holding onto something just for the sake of holding onto it. There is zero drawback to changing this and plenty of reason why to do so. If nothing else, there is a big benefit to simply having a name or acronym that doesn't bring up negative things when you google it.

Austin's Rule Proposals - LiathTheSquirrel - 11-22-2019

I Love This idea and even tho i'm new here i would happily Join in on this.

I would also add that if possible have a few new awards to fill some holes that we have.

Austin's Rule Proposals - Opera_Phantom - 11-22-2019

I agree with both.

If the committee problem is having enough people to be a part of it, it's something i would be willing to be a part of.

The name part, make it something like Internet Football Simulation League, Football Player Simulation League, and then call the NSFL majors and the DSFL minors. Or DIV I and DIV II.

(11-22-2019, 01:19 AM)KanakoTheSquirrel Wrote:I Love This idea and even tho i'm new here i would happily Join in on this.

I would also add that if possible have a few new awards to fill some holes that we have.

What types of awards would you add? For one example I know of there is actually some semi-regular discussion off and on about having some sort of "utility" award for offensive players who don't fit into one category (I think a new round recently started).

(11-22-2019, 01:59 AM)Opera_Phantom Wrote:I agree with both.

If the committee problem is having enough people to be a part of it, it's something i would be willing to be a part of.

The name part, make it something like Internet Football Simulation League,  Football Player Simulation League, and then call the NSFL majors and the DSFL minors. Or DIV I and DIV II.

Some soccer flavor in there. Also you inspired the thought that at minimum, what if we just switched it to NFSL.

Austin's Rule Proposals - Rising Equinox - 11-22-2019

I have been arguing for the need of an award committee since pretty much the very first award show stream that I watched. The way that GM's vote, and don't vote at all sometimes, was one of the main factors in me actually completely muting the general NSFL discord. There were obviously other factors as well, but it lead to me giving up on the social/community aspect of the league as a whole. I figured that if the GM's didn't even put effort into something as important as the end of season awards, why should I put the extra effort in to get to know these people or participate in the community when it literally doesn't matter at all. It also turns rookies away early on when they see deserving players, friends and teammates, not even get a single vote for awards just because some GM's sort by TD's and vote without any real thought, or there's a well established vet player in the league that they always vote for. I really hope that this is actually seriously considered this time. There's no reason for a committee not to be established, except for the GM's that don't want to lose their ability to vote for their own players.

Austin's Rule Proposals - Mooty99 - 11-22-2019

I know I have said it in our locker room but both of these proposals are no brainer and things that a lot of people have been asking for. Hopefully the other GMs and HO members will take note and approve both of these

Austin's Rule Proposals - LiathTheSquirrel - 11-22-2019

(11-22-2019, 08:37 PM)AdamS Wrote:What types of awards would you add? For one example I know of there is actually some semi-regular discussion off and on about having some sort of "utility" award for offensive players who don't fit into one category (I think a new round recently started).

It may sound simple but More Rookie Awards for both the DSFL and NSFL as well as something a bit different that being "Best Position Change" it would go to the best player who has changed there Position in a big way.

(11-22-2019, 02:59 AM)Rising Equinox Wrote:I have been arguing for the need of an award committee since pretty much the very first award show stream that I watched. The way that GM's vote, and don't vote at all sometimes, was one of the main factors in me actually completely muting the general NSFL discord. There were obviously other factors as well, but it lead to me giving up on the social/community aspect of the league as a whole. I figured that if the GM's didn't even put effort into something as important as the end of season awards, why should I put the extra effort in to get to know these people or participate in the community when it literally doesn't matter at all. It also turns rookies away early on when they see deserving players, friends and teammates, not even get a single vote for awards just because some GM's sort by TD's and vote without any real thought, or there's a well established vet player in the league that they always vote for. I really hope that this is actually seriously considered this time. There's no reason for a committee not to be established, except for the GM's that don't want to lose their ability to vote for their own players.

A lot of that has to do with the super compacted amount of tasks that are going on concurrently. Free agency, re-signings, draft prep, losing people to the Yeti, regression, and whatever other tasks may be in play. We can't stretch out the amount of tasks. HO is busy with their own things as well, especially as several of them also function as department heads. Let alone anything to do with our own players.

But I mean..really...there's so much more to the community than just awards. Like making sure you keep any tackles for loss you may have gotten.

(11-22-2019, 03:08 AM)Mooty99 Wrote:I know I have said it in our locker room but both of these proposals are no brainer and things that a lot of people have been asking for. Hopefully the other GMs and HO members will take note and approve both of these

We'll see how it works out in voting but I agree on the desire to see these things done.