International Simulation Football League
*Jay's Draft recap - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Jay's Draft recap (/showthread.php?tid=16638)

*Jay's Draft recap - Jay_Doctor - 11-23-2019

Last night, the Season 19 NSFL draft took place. There was a lot of hype leading up to the big night and I think it’s fair to say that the event lived up to it. For those of us that were in the draft, the week leading up to the big night felt like forever. I can personally say that it seemed like the longest week ever. I raced home just before 7 and then starred at my phone in angst of seeing that stream go live. Then 7:05 hits. Alright it has to go up any second now. 7:10. What the heck is going on. They are trying to make me wait longer, aren’t they? No big deal, I need to make supper anyway so this will work out better. 7:20. Dang, I’ve finished making supper. I guess I better eat quickly so I can give my full attention to the draft. 7:24, the draft goes live!

The draft crew all get on and start talking about the upcoming players and picks. It’s finally happening. NOLA goes first and take Mack Arianlacher, but the screen isn’t changing. Technical difficulties cause the stream to stop. Oh. My. God. I don’t think I’ve been teased like that since the first trailer of Star Wars Episode 7 a few years ago. The force is impatient with this one. I clean my dishes up like a good boy, then sit and wait again. 7:41. We’re back! The rest was smooth sailing. Players start coming off the board one by one with some nice surprises along the way (I’ll touch upon those later), but where was I going to go?

I had conversations with every team in the first round expect San Jose, so a lot was up in the air. I knew I wouldn’t go in the top 3, or at least I was 99% sure. From pick 4 on, though, anything was possible. Besides Kacey Dream at pick 5, there was a good string on all the top receivers coming off the board. When NOLA was on the clock with pick 8, I had a feeling. From all of my conversations, I felt like I had the best connection with them (Baltimore as well, though it didn’t seem to be in the cards after my big TPE push for playoffs). Sure enough, I heard my named called, right where I wanted to be. Right where I had predicted. Right where I had dreamed. “Blaylcok” be damned, I was going to be a member of the Second Line. I immediately felt the excitement of all my new teammates and the support of my old ones. So many congratulations and welcomes messages poured in. I can’t wait to get back on the field soon and help my team do whatever it takes to win.

I, like various others, took a stab at predicting how I thought the draft would turn out. Certain trades shook things up and that is to be expected. There were also some picks that not a lot of people saw coming. I’d like to take a look at how I faired and give myself a draft grade based on my predictions.

1. Predicted: Austin McCormick | Actual: Mack Arianlacher
So, I technically got picks 1 and 3 wrong, but I essentially said that they could go either way. It might be a cop out, but I’m going to give myself at least some partial credit for these two. It felt like these were the best two players for NOLA to go for here.

2. Predicted: Kacey Dream | Actual: Deondre Thomas-Fox
Again, I made an incorrect pick. I wasn’t completely out in left field though, as it seemed possible that San Jose might have been willing to wait him out for the early second round. I have no actual knowledge of their plans, but maybe they felt that it wasn’t worth taking a risk and watching some other team scoop him up before he fell to them. DTF was willing to switch positions if need be and it very well could have sealed the deal for him to go 2OA.

3. Predicted: Mack Arianlacher | Actual: Austin McCormick
As mentioned before, I had these flipped.

4. Predicted: Sean O’leary | Actual: Sean O’leary
Awesome, I don’t have to make excuses because I got this one correct. The pick makes a lot of sense as Sean is a top receiver and Chicago can use the help.

5. Predicted: Quindarius Tyerucker | Actual: Kacey Dream
This was a whiff for me. I definitely assumed Dream would be off the board by now, so there was no hope of my getting this correct. It makes a lot of sense why Orange County would take him as he was the top defensive TPE earner available.

6. Predicted: Gary Lazer-Eyes | Actual: Sweet James-Jones
Whoosh! I completely missed the mark with this. Truth be told, I really felt like this pick would have either been myself or Gary Lazer-Eyes, but Chicago doubled down on elite receivers this draft. A couple seasons from now, they very well might have the best young tandem in the league.

7. Predicted: Rayne Gordon | Actual: Rayne Gordon
This pick felt good. Rayne was my teammate in Kansas City, and I was thrilled to see him go here. Not only because I predicted it, but because I think it’s an awesome fit. The only bad thing I can say is next time I hit you, it won’t be in practice anymore so you best be ready.

8. Predicted: Mason Blaylock | Actual: Mason Blaylock
I wrote a lot about myself up above, but once again this felt great. When I made my mock draft, I could have cared less if I got every single pick wrong except for this one. I am happy to call New Orleans my home for many seasons to come.

9. Predicted: Jed Podolak | Actual: Jayson Kearse
Yeah, not much I can say on this as I was not even close. I think I really underestimated the value of defensive lineman. That’s not to say I personally don’t love them; I just didn’t have a great idea of where they should be as far as draft position is concerned.

10. Predicted: Sweet James-Jones | Actual: Gary Lazer-Eyes
The last pick of the first round and I’m wrong again. I’m not going to look at the second round because it doesn’t look very pretty from here on out. I’m going to push for half credit on this pick though and hear me out. Unless I am mistaken, I was the only person to predict Gary Lazer-Eyes going in the first round. I realize I didn’t get the correct landing spot, but I think that deserves some credit. Also, for what’s it’s worth, I had Sweet and Lazer-Eyes swapped (it’s worth literally nothing).

So, with some creative rounding, I’m going to give myself somewhere around a B or B-. I technically got 3 out of 10 right. I had 1 and 3 flopped but still going to the correct team. I also had DTF to the right team, just the wrong round. I also called Lazer-Eyes as a first-round pick. For my first ever mock draft, I’d call that moderately successful.

*Jay's Draft recap - RainDelay - 11-23-2019

Awesome article, love ya bud

*Jay's Draft recap - Dylandeluxe - 11-24-2019

Awesome recap! Drafts are hard to predict.

*Jay's Draft recap - JuOSu - 11-24-2019

Awesome article, we are so pumped to have you!

*Jay's Draft recap - AW13 - 11-24-2019

But...Kacey Dream was 5th overall lol

*Jay's Draft recap - Jay_Doctor - 11-24-2019

(11-24-2019, 09:42 PM)AndrewWarren13 Wrote:But...Kacey Dream was 5th overall lol

Oops I switched my predicted and actual columns. Will definitely fix and thanks for catching that!