International Simulation Football League
*Murtsi QB Power Rankings - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Murtsi QB Power Rankings (/showthread.php?tid=16866)

*Murtsi QB Power Rankings - Murtsi - 12-07-2019

Hello everyone and welcome back to Murtsi’s QB Power Rankings, where I try and rank the quarterbacks in our league against each other and see which one of them is doing the best and who needs to look into the mirror and put in some more training.

If you are new to my rankings, I try to look at the basic passing stats such as completion percentage, passing touchdowns, quarterback rating among others. In addition, I try to take into consideration what the quarterback's impact on the ground was, what part of their team's touchdowns and total yardage were they involved in. This season I decided to include another metric, which if I am being honest should have already been included last year. As Spec mentioned in his award ballot article, ANY/A (Adjusted Net Yards per Passing Attempt) is a more modern metric to compare quarterbacks (as opposed to quarterback rating) and is now a part of my analysis. So with that all out of the way, let's get to the rankings!

#1 - Franklin Armstrong OCO
6 Touchdowns (1 rushing), 0 Interception, 104.7 QBR, 281 Y/G, 59.78% completion percentage, 8.5 ANY/A

We start the season with one clear quarterback above the rest of the pack and rightfully sits at number 1. Looking across almost all of his metrics, he is either number one or at worst in the top 3. In some of the most important metrics such as ANY/A, quarterback rating or completion percentage he is a clear step above anyone else. He has over a 2 ANY/A lead over the next closest player, no other quarterback has a quarterback rating over 84 and he has over a 2 percentage point lead in completion percentage. In addition to this he has yet to throw a single interception, he has the highest yards per attempt and yards per completion of any quarterback and has been directly involved in 6 of his teams total 8 touchdowns. The Otters are also currently 3-0 and look like the best team in the league based on early season form. Currently there really is not anything that Armstrong is doing wrong or even bad in any way. His lowest metrics or categories are his total yards per game, where he is only third (behind Bigsby and Reese) and he has taken 6 sacks, tied for highest in the league with San Jose, Austin and Arizona, but that is also mostly an offensive line metric. So all in all, the two time Ultimus MVP and one of the rising stars in the NSFL has really shown us all why he is the best quarterback in the league currently

#2 - Stan Francisco NOLA
4 Touchdowns, 2 Interception, 77.4 QBR, 243.7 Y/G, 52.58 % completion percentage, 6.15 ANY/A

Now we start with the next tier of quarterbacks behind Armstrong. I admit that there are many worthy candidates for positions 2-5 that could have been ranked differently, but I feel strongly that this is the correct order. Stan Francisco gets to number 2 on a strong overall showing and especially shining in the ANY/A statistic. Francisco has the second-best adjusted net yards and is the only other quarterback apart from Armstrong to have a figure over 6. In addition to this, he has thrown 4 touchdowns and only two interceptions and has the third highest yards per completion of any quarterback. His quarterback rating is very similar to his peers in the same tier and he is 6th in total yards per game. His biggest glaring weakness is his low completion percentage which is the second lowest in the league. Overall I still think leading the Second Line to a 2-1 start to the season and especially the 57-7 win over the Outlaws show that Francisco deserves to be here at number 2.

#3 - Wolfie McDummy COL
7 Touchdowns (including 1 rushing), 4 Interception, 78.1 QBR, 267 Y/G, 56.9% completion percentage, 4.88 ANY/A

Now I know @infinitempgwill be very surprised to see McDummy here, but I feel it is well deserved. His 7 touchdowns have him tied with Bigsby for second place in the league. He has the highest number of rushing yards of any quarterback in the league and has led his Yeti to the top of the NSFC! Increasingly larger and more excited Yeti noises? McDummy also sits around the middle of the league (as do most quarterbacks not named Armstrong) in terms of quarterback rating and completion percentage. The only metric where is behind a lot of his competitors is ANY/A, where he has the third lowest of all quarterbacks. I am not sure whether this is down to his large rushing numbers, a defense doing more work then people imagine or something else? Overall, I still think that McDummy and the Yeti as a whole have taken huge leaps forward and it is showing in their record and McDummy’s play and stat sheet.

#4 - Adriana Falconi PHI
4 Touchdowns, 2 Interception, 80.9 QBR, 222.3 Y/G, 56.44% completion percentage, 5.83 ANY/A

This might be a surprise pick to some as the aging but still deadly Adriana Falconi takes her spot at number four. Falconi just like her Francisco has 4 touchdowns and 2 interceptions to her name. She is fifth in completion percentage (although I have to say that everyone apart from the Armstrong and the bottom two are in the same cluster), has the third highest quarterback rating and ANY/A. In addition, she has led her Liberty to a 2-1 record and shown that she is still a force to be reckoned with in this league. Things holding her back are fourth lowest total yards per game and only accounting for 50% of her team's total touchdowns. As long as she keeps moving them down the field, limits the turnovers, she and the Liberty will definitely be contenders this year in the NSFC.

#5 - Corvo Havran BAL
5 Touchdowns, 3 Interception, 78.8 QBR, 215.3 Y/G, 56.31% completion percentage, 5.48 ANY/A

Now we enter the middle men or women in the rankings and where sometimes the line is drawn and at number five we have our two time reigning quarterback of the year, Corvo Havran. It might seem weird having Havran, especially as they were a buzzer beating touchdown away from being 3-0 and sitting at the top of the NSFC alongside the Yeti. Still, you start to look at Havran’s stats and none of them really stand out to you. He has done well by throwing for 5 touchdowns and only 3 interceptions. He has the fourth best quarterback rating, sixth best completion percentage and fifth best ANY/A. These all showcase how he is quite middle of the road in addition to having the third lowest yards per game but the highest share of his team's touchdowns compared to other quarterbacks. His team might be close to 3-0, but Havran is accounting for under 60% of his teams total yards (which is the lowest in the league among quarterbacks) so is it more Havran leading the Hawks, or the Hawks leading Havran?

#6 - Andrew Reese ARI
9 Touchdowns, 5 Interception, 83.4 QBR, 286.3 Y/G, 56% completion percentage, 5.6 ANY/A

Someone just looking at the stats might really wonder why I have placed Reese all the way here at number six and I agree with them. Reese leads the league in touchdowns, has the second highest quarterback rating and total yards per game of any quarterback. Then you ask why is he at number six and the reason is that Reese did all (or at least most of) his damage in one game. He played an amazing game against San Jose in week 1, where he had 353 yards, 6 touchdowns and no interceptions. After that though he has thrown for 3 touchdowns and 5 interceptions, his quarterback rating has dropped 40 points and his yards per game average has dropped to 286. I am in no way saying that Reese is a bad quarterback, he was amazing against the Sabercats, but they seem to be the punching bag of season 19. In his next two games, Reese was on the losing side, first 40-22 to the Hawks and then in an ugly way, 57-7 to the Second Line. With these two largely contrasting sides to the early season, that makes me put Reese at number 6.

#7 - Cooter Bigsby YKW
7 Touchdowns, 8 Interception, 72.4 QBR, 340.3 Y/G, 57.34% completion percentage, 5.46 ANY/A

Fuck it, Chuck it football seems to be back here to stay boys. Cooter is showing the league what the true meaning of that phrase means. In three games he already has enough memorable drives and game winning fourth quarters and pick sixes to be done for the season, but this is the Cooter world and we are living in. He has the highest yards per game number by a sizeable margin compared to anybody else and also leads the league in yards per attempt and yards per completion. That is where his good stats end. He leads the league in interceptions, has the fourth lowest quarterback rating and sixth highest ANY/A. He is contributing a large part of the Wraiths yards and touchdowns, but until he stops giving his coaches heart attacks with his reckless abandon, I do not think he will be moving too high up the rankings. Cooter needs to learn to not always turn the ball over, so limiting those might show everybody why he was the MVP last season.

#8 - Easton Cole AUS
4 Touchdowns, 5 Interception, 72.3 QBR, 258.3 Y/G, 57.66% completion percentage, 4.99 ANY/A

The golden boy of last season has seemed to take a small step back during the early part of season 19. It is hard to say whether it is more Austin as a whole or more on Easton, but with the majority of his supporting cast being similar it is not nice seeing his numbers go down. Cole has thrown for more interceptions than touchdowns, has the third lowest quarterback rating and fourth lowest ANY/A. On the bright side, he has the fourth highest yards per completion, second highest completion percentage and is fifth in total yards per game. Overall though, his numbers have clearly taken a dip and with the Copperheads starting the season 0-3, Cole will have to take the lead himself and drag his team in the right direction

#9 - Rose Jenkins CHI
2 Touchdowns, 5 Interception, 58 QBR, 202.6 Y/G, 54.37% completion percentage, 3.64 ANY/A

So now we get down to the bottom two. It seems similar to last season where there was always 2 to 3 quarterbacks who were clearly a level below the rest. Here we have it again this season and at number 9 we have Rose Jenkins. What separates these two quarterbacks from the rest is their significant drop off in almost all categories that were tracked. Jenkins for example is second to last in quarterback rating, total yards per game, ANY/A and third to last in completion percentage. The difference between her and the player above her in QBR is over 14 points. She has thrown for 5 interceptions compared to only 2 touchdowns and is only accounting for 40% of her team’s total touchdowns, while the Butchers are 0-3. All in all, there is a lot to improve from here and Jenkins has shown that she has the talent, but she just needs to showcase it.

#10 - Dan Wright SJS

1 Touchdowns, 6 Interception, 31.4 QBR, 156.6 Y/G, 44.44% completion percentage, 0.89 ANY/A

Again we make it to the bottom of our rankings and enter our final tier which is reserved for the one and only Dan Wright. Wow that is exactly what I wrote in my final power rankings for season 18 and it still holds true. Unfortunately some things have not changed even with an additional off season under his belt. Clearly a switch from tight end to quarterback is not the easiest to do, but I still applaud the team first mentality showcased by Dan Wright. Now I guess we actually have to come to the stats. As probably no surprise to anyone, but Wright is dead last in every meaningful statistical category (other than rushing yards for quarterbacks). I think I will just highlight the stats that jumped out to me while doing these rankings. Firstly his completion percentage is 44%, his quarterback rating is 31.4 (which I think is lower than at any point last season) and his adjusted net yards per passing attempt is 0.89, below 1 yard! San Jose has a lot of building to do inside their team, so I hope for all the best to them and especially Dan Wright. I will always believe in you Dan!

And there you have it ladies and gentleman! Hope you enjoyed the first episode of the power rankings for season 19. Check back in after week 6 or 7 when I will hopefully have the next edition out.

*Murtsi QB Power Rankings - infinitempg - 12-07-2019

[Image: giphy.gif]

*Murtsi QB Power Rankings - iamslm22 - 12-07-2019

Old lady Falconi having a hell of a season! What a beast!

*Murtsi QB Power Rankings - nickyvmlp - 12-07-2019

Not for long...