International Simulation Football League
*Murtsis QB Power Rankings 2nd edition - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Murtsis QB Power Rankings 2nd edition (/showthread.php?tid=16990)

*Murtsis QB Power Rankings 2nd edition - BaconBrother - 12-18-2019

Hello everyone and welcome back to Murtsi’s QB Power Rankings, where I try and rank the quarterbacks in our league against each other and see which one of them is doing the best and who needs to look into the mirror and put in some more training.

If you are new to my rankings, I try to look at the basic passing stats such as completion percentage, passing touchdowns, quarterback rating among others. In addition, I try to take into consideration what the quarterback's impact on the ground was, what part of their teams' touchdowns and total yardage were they involved in. As I mentioned last time, new to this season's stats is the ANY/A (Adjusted Net Yards per Passing Attempt)

Now it is already past week 9 in Season 19. I tried to have my rankings done earlier but alas, life got in the way. Now with 6 weeks of action behind us after the first rankings, a lot has happened and let us see how that has affected the rankings!

#1 - Franklin Armstrong OCO SAME
25 Touchdowns (including 3 rushing), 5 Interception, 105.6 QBR, 313.2 Y/G, 61.2% completion percentage, 8.3 ANY/A

Six week removed from our first rankings and we see Franklin Armstrong keep his place atop the standings. A three game sample size is always dangerous to make predictions, but it would have worked out well for Armstrong. Surprisingly he has kept his statistical output at an almost similar level or even improved in many categories over the past six games. He has thrown 20 touchdowns compared to 5 interceptions, his quarterback rating, yards per game and completion percentage have all improved and his adjusted net yards per passing attempt is almost the same. So all in all Armstrong is leading the league in almost every major quarterback related statistical category. In addition to those mentioned previously (apart from completion percentage, where he is second) he is also the top dog in yards per completion and yards per attempt, he has the most touchdowns and least amount of interceptions and has the highest rushing yards of any quarterback. The Orange County Otters are also 8-1, leading the league and looking like the strongest team. So is there any reason that Armstrong should not be number one?

#2 - Corvo Havran BAL UP 3
19 Touchdowns, 5 Interception, 100 QBR, 278.9 Y/G, 61.86 % completion percentage, 7.92 ANY/A

Corvo Havran takes the biggest leap of anyone in the rankings, moving up 3 positions from number five to number two. Havran really elevated his game in the past six games and is showing everyone why he is a two-time quarterback of the year. With his play he as clearly put himself at number two and in almost any other season would be the clear leader at this stage. Havran and Armstrong are clearly in a league of their own at the moment and are leading their teams in a very strong NSFC. As mentioned Havran’s numbers are just below Armstrongs and the only category he has him beat slightly is completion percentage and he is also second in quarterback rating and adjusted net yards per passing attempts which I feel are the most important stats. He has also only thrown for 5 interceptions compared to 19 total touchdowns. He is also accounting for similar percent of his teams total touchdowns and yards as Armstrong is and overall it is one of those seasons where Havran is doing amazing things as a passer, but unfortunately the guy ahead of him is having an almost historic season.

#3 - Wolfie McDummy COL SAME
19 Touchdowns (including 2 rushing), 8 Interception, 87.2 QBR, 296.3 Y/G, 59.1% completion percentage, 6.44 ANY/A

In previous editions I have sometimes talked about different tiers in my quarterback rankings. In this edition we have more of the same. Armstrong and Havran are clearly in their own tier and after them we have McDummy who has his very own McTier. While the Yeti have not been as hot after their 3-0 start, going 2-4 in the past six weeks, McDummy has not been the problem, improving his play through every statistical category along the way. Through the six games he has accounted for 10 touchdowns and 4 interceptions, improved his yards per game, quarterback rating, completion percentage and adjusted net yards per passing attempt. Currently he is third in quarterback rating and adjusted net yards per passing attempt while being fourth in yards per game and completion percentage. Categories where I think there could be the biggest improvements are yards per attempt and yards per completion, where McDummy is still lagging behind some players behind him in the rankings. Overall I feel McDummy and the Yeti have taken big steps during the season and showing great signs of growth which is shown in the stats and hopefully this continues!

#4 - Cooter Bigsby YKW UP 3
19 Touchdowns, 15 Interception, 80.9 QBR, 320.8 Y/G, 56.96% completion percentage, 6.31 ANY/A

Now here is where things start to get interesting. After McDummy the players ranked between 4 and 8 all have very similar stats and honestly I feel they could be very interchangeable in what position they land at depending on who is doing the ranking. In all these short blurbs I will try to give my reasoning on why that player is at that position, but I acknowledge that people might have differing opinions. So at number four we have the moonshine man, “Fuck it, Chuck it” maestro, Cooter Bigsby. This mentality is still going strong as he leads the league in total yards per game while throwing for 19 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. While being tied for third in touchdowns he is also tied for first in total interceptions. After throwing for 8 interceptions in the first three games, he has toned it down a bit with only 7 in the last six games and this has helped the Wraiths go from 2-1 to 6-3. Bigsby has also improved his quarterback rating and adjusted net yards per passing attempt through the stretch. Currently he is sitting at fourth in adjusted net yards per passing attempt and fifth in quarterback rating. In addition he has the second highest yards per completion and third highest yards per attempt which I feel propel him up in this tier. I guess with optimum amounts of moonshine, Bigsby has begun to show signs of why he is the reigning MVP.

#5 - Stan Francisco NOLA DOWN 3
13 Touchdowns, 8 Interception, 77.1 QBR, 206.3 Y/G, 53.68% completion percentage, 5.91 ANY/A

Here we have the biggest mover in the wrong direction. Is this more because I ranked him too highly last time or showing what has happened in the last six weeks? Overall I think it is slightly due to a decrease in output and the competition around him really taking a big step. Francisco has taken small steps backwards in total yards per game, touchdown to interception ratio and adjusted net yards per passing attempt. At the same time he has improved his completion percentage and his quarterback rating has been almost unchanged. He is ranked in the top five or six in most categories where the only major outliers are total yards per game and completion percentage, where he is in the bottom two. On the flip side of the coin the Secondline have the strongest running game in the league, Francisco has been accounting for a larger share of his team's total touchdowns and the Secondline are second in the ASFC so I think he has earned his place at number 5.

#6 - Adriana Falconi PHI DOWN 2
9 Touchdowns, 6 Interception, 78.4 QBR, 225.3 Y/G, 55.3% completion percentage, 6.12 ANY/A

Another one dropping down the rankings with a slip of two places down to number six we have Adriana Falconi. She is a bit of a mixed bag, but that is what you would expect for someone ranked at number six. She has only 9 touchdowns for the season, which is the second lowest in the league, but she does have Torensons pounding in touchdowns (for example 4 in one game) and is still accounting for two thirds of her teams total yards. She has a low completion percentage and yards per game compared to peers but has only turned the ball over 6 times. She also has the fifth highest adjusted net yards per passing attempt and yards per completion (and sixth highest yards per attempt). I think overall while taking into consideration the team around her (especially Torenson) and the Liberty being 5-4 in a tough NSFC where everyone can still make the playoffs, I feel number six is the correct place for the old warrior Falconi.

#7 - Easton Cole AUS UP 1
12 Touchdowns, 8 Interception, 82.6 QBR, 233.8 Y/G, 59.4% completion percentage, 5.88 ANY/A

Easton Cole takes one step up in the rankings, but he might still be wondering why he is down all the way at number seven. As mentioned previously this tier which he is in is very tight and someone else might have him higher. Even though he is not reaching the heights he hit last season, he is still having a decent statistical season so far. He has the fourth highest quarterback rating, third highest completion percentage and seventh in net yards per passing attempt. He has a decent touchdown to interception ratio, but the third lowest yards per completion. The most likely reason that is pulling him and the whole Copperheads down this season is the lack of a running game. With the lowest rushing yards of all the teams through 9 games, Cole is doing his best to drive the team to victory, but currently all they have to show for his efforts is a 2-7 record.

#8 - Andrew Reese ARI DOWN 2
20 Touchdowns, 15 Interception, 78.4 QBR, 302.8 Y/G, 56.7% completion percentage, 5.66 ANY/A

Andrew Reese takes two steps back in the rankings and finds himself at number 8 and is the final player in this large tier of players mentioned earlier. Reese, like the Outlaws have been difficult to figure out. When they are good, they are amazing as they showed with their opening week win over San Jose, but when they are bad, it seems like the earth crumbles beneath them. Over the last six weeks, Reese has improved his yards per game and net yards per passing attempt, while taking a slight dip in his quarterback rating and keeping his completion percentage the same. He has thrown for 11 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and is accounting for the largest share of team touchdowns amongst quarterbacks. The running game is also lacking in Arizona with the third lowest rushing yards total and this is obviously not helping Reese. With a 3-6 record, the Outlaws and Reese both show that there is potential for the old man, but he will need to pick up the pace to ride off with gusto into the sunset.

#9 - Rose Jenkins CHI SAME
7 Touchdowns, 11 Interception, 70.4 QBR, 273.8 Y/G, 57.65% completion percentage, 4.92 ANY/A

So now we get down to the bottom two and the last tier in my quarterback power rankings. As I said in my previous edition, here we have a significant drop-off in most statistical categories, although I have to say that both quarterbacks in this tier have done work to improve in all those categories. We can take Rose Jenkins here at nine as an example. She has improved her touchdown to interception ratio, quarterback ratio, yards per game, completion percentage and adjusted net passing yards per attempt. In addition the Butchers have gone 2-4 compared to the 0-3 start they had so that also shows signs of improving. Even with these improvements Jenkins is bottom two in quarterback rating and adjusted net passing yards per attempt and has the worst touchdown to interception ratio. She is also accounting for the lowest percentage of team touchdowns among quarterbacks and has the lowest yards per completion. So clearly there have been improvements, but her and the Butchers need to improve as a whole to climb out of this basement tier.

#10 - Dan Wright SJS SAME

7 Touchdowns, 10 Interception, 58.8 QBR, 196.6 Y/G, 49.25% Completion percentage, 3.82 ANY/A

Much of the same that was said for Rose Jenkins can be said for Dan Wright. He has improved across all statistical categories, but still he is at the bottom in all of them apart from one. He has only second to last in touchdown to interception ratio so I would say that is quite an improvement. He is still the only quarterback under 200 total yards per game and under 6 yards per attempt. He is also using his legs with the third highest rushing yards among quarterbacks. Overall I would say there have been clear improvements in Wrights play and that is also showing with the Sabercats being 3-6 and with a shot at the playoffs in the mess of an ASFC. As said previously, I will always believe in you Dan and you can improve and do better!

And there you have it ladies and gentleman! Hope you enjoyed the second episode of the power rankings for season 19. Check back in after the regular season when I will do my final edition for season 19!

*Murtsis QB Power Rankings 2nd edition - nickyvmlp - 12-18-2019

And I believe in you too!!!