International Simulation Football League
*Cal's New Sim Ideas - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Cal's New Sim Ideas (/showthread.php?tid=17938)

*Cal's New Sim Ideas - caltroit_red_flames - 01-21-2020

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Cal's New Sim Ideas
Table of Contents
Quarter Back

Disclaimer
1.) I'm not a football guy. I never played, I don't watch it often (Brett Coleman is lit tho), I probably never will. My opinions are probably gonna be a little shit. Because of that if you bitch at me for being stupid in here I'm not going to care.
2.) This isn't actually a new engine, it's just my idea for what I would want.

Quarter Back[/div]
The most important position on the field. The one guy who no matter what play will touch the ball every time (well, unless you're kicking or punting). This guy has the biggest effect on every game in my opinion. Which sucks because that means they always get the most recognition. His skill set is going to be vastly different from everyone else on the team. He needs a good arm and accuracy, but depending on the player he is he'll need to really focus on scrambling, tape before the games, and calling audibles. Can he continue to stay standing a player comes in to sack him? How likely are they to give up on a play at the right time and throw it to the stands? How do they perform under pressure? It's all about how well they can distribute the ball to their offensive weapons.

Arm Strength - How far the player can throw the ball
Arm Accuracy - How accurately the player can throw the ball
Clutchness - How well the player performs during situations that are pivotal for the game
Endurance - The player's ability to continue to be effective during long drives
Quickness - The player's ability to change their action after making a decision
Scheme Recognition - The player's ability to correctly identify the opposing team's defensive scheme to allow them to decide if they should call an audible or continue with the current play
Acceleration - The player's ability to quickly reach their top speed
Speed - The player's top speed
Yards After Contact (YAC) - The player's ability to continue gaining yards after their first contact with a defending player on the play

I like the way I did things with the running back so I'm going to go with that again. We'll talk about the attributes based on the situations in which they are relevant.

1.) Passing Plays - There are a lot of ways this can go. If everyone makes their blocks, the receivers run their routes well and the quarter back has several open options the relevant attributes in this play will be Arm Strength and Arm Accuracy to allow them to get the ball both to the receiver and for it actually be in the correct spot for them to make the catch. Before the snap even occurs though they'll have to use their Scheme Recognition to decide if they should continue with the current passing play they've chose or if they should switch to something else. This assumes that the call they've made is correct. If their Quickness isn't very high they're more likely to call a timeout because they won't realize quickly enough that their scheme is bad but this will very very very rarely happen. If an offensive lineman doesn't make their block the quarter back will go into scrambling mode. They'll search for an opening which will be dependent on their Quickness and then they'll utilize their Acceleration and Speed to try to gain as many yards as they can. The Yards After Contact attribute will help them gain a few more yards just like it would for a running back. Inherently they'll gain less yards than a running back though because at this point they're being collapsed upon and they'll have a lot of players nearby trying to tackle them.

2.) Running Plays - This should generally be pretty simple. Pass off the ball to the running back. They'll just need Scheme Recognition to make sure they're not throwing their running back into a death trap.

3.) Close Games - At the end of close games when the quarter back has the ball they'll need to be clutch, and funny enough that's where Clutchness comes in. If the quarter back can't perform under pressure the entire offense is going to fall apart. This is an attribute that will really make a difference in these high pressure situations, but if you're good enough to not get yourself into those situations you'll probably have a better chance of winning than if you banked on your quarter back both having the ball and being clutch enough to get yourself out of a jam. Besides, no matter how clutch you are if you can't call the right play you're still going to get shut down.

The Scheme Recognition attribute is going to be a lot more important than people would give it credit for. Look at a player like Tim Tebow. All the talent in the world, can't do shit in the NFL because he can't call plays for dick.

[div align=\\\"center\\\"]Some Extra Notes[/div]
I'm gonna be honest. I almost hate the quarter back position. Post snap, I find it to be the least interesting position in the game. Look at a guy and throw the ball. Someone else faster than you? Alright give it to them and pretend you still have it. But before the snap... Now that's some good shit. I love watching the quarter back recognize what's happening in the opposing team's defense, calling audibles to switch stuff up in the hopes that they've correctly read the defense and have game planned well enough to know that this new variation on the previous play will tear this defensive scheme a new one. If that didn't happen on every down then to me quarter back would be a lost cause.

This is probably the most unpopular opinion I have. Yes it's neat to see quarter backs looking at the play unfold and decide who to give it to, but the truth is that plays happen so quickly and there's so much happening at once that there are truly very few quarter backs ever in history which had or have the physical and mental tool set to take in everything that's happening and act upon the play is it's unfolding. When you see them really take charge of a game it's magic, but as a Lions "fan" I can tell you've seen the garbage side of this as well. It's not pretty. It's not pretty at all.