International Simulation Football League
Minimum Contracts Again - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Forum: Suggestion Box (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+----- Forum: Archived Suggestions (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=349)
+----- Thread: Minimum Contracts Again (/showthread.php?tid=17955)

Pages: 1 2

Minimum Contracts Again - Modern_Duke - 01-22-2020

Suggestion: reward the highest salary player(s) at each position with extra TPE

Inspired by that post from the other week about people taking minimum contracts (and also that article with all the salary graphs), my suggestion is to incentivize players to seek bigger contracts.

The issue (if you think there is one at all) is good players taking the lowest salary they possibly can. This obviously is not true to real life, and makes the salary cap kind of just a general annoyance more than anything. This practice could also cause issues with league parity, due to the potential of a vicious cycle of “all the good players are taking minimum to play for team X, because team x has a great locker room, because all the good players take minimum to play for team x, because...etc.”

My initial idea was to split contract money and media money but that’s kind of complicated and hard to implement. Also, I’d rather not penalize those that do want to take minimum salaries. Like many pointed out, they just want to help out their team. I’m no different, I’m on minimum too.

So instead I’m proposing awarding a small amount of tpe to the highest paid players at each position. Nothing crazy, something like the fantasy football payout. 5 tpe for highest salary, 3 for 2nd highest, 1 for 3rd.

Because for someone like isa (sorry that you’re always brought up in these, you’re just a good example), what good is another $1 or 2 million? But you know those max earners will be interested in a big contract if it comes with some extra Tpe

——
Pros: more entertaining free agency. Realistic storylines like “player x holding out for contract to become leagues highest paid safety” and “will player y take a hometown discount or seek a huge contract elsewhere?”. Lower tier teams could have a shot at luring away good players. Doesn’t stop anyone from taking minimum if they want to.

Cons: the rich get richer. Strain on salary cap results in lower salaries for mid- and low- tier players. Those who seek huge contracts learn that there are more important things than money, and that the real treasure is the friends you make along the way.

Minimum Contracts Again - Raven - 01-22-2020

Pass

Minimum Contracts Again - Modern_Duke - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 06:10 AM)Raven Wrote:Pass

Fair enough

(01-22-2020, 01:14 PM)Modern_Duke Wrote:Fair enough

The thing for me is I don't like tpe handout in this way. I think I'd be more inclined to look at changing the way the contract mins scale or look into preventing people from being able to sign contracts which would put them in a lower tier for a majority of their contract

Also in not sure about the parity. Every team has a ton of players with min contracts so we all benefit from it and we still have a cap in place to prevent super teams

Minimum Contracts Again - iseedoug - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 07:34 AM)Raven Wrote:The thing for me is I don't like tpe handout in this way. I think I'd be more inclined to look at changing the way the contract mins scale or look into preventing people from being able to sign contracts which would put them in a lower tier for a majority of their contract

Also in not sure about the parity. Every team has a ton of players with min contracts so we all benefit from it and we still have a cap in place to prevent super teams

Another way to think about this is to implement something like the Franchise Tag in the NFL. Basically, you can only take min for a team so many times before it doubles, or is the average of the top 5 at position, etc. So essentially it becomes hard to keep players at min for very long.

Minimum Contracts Again - Rising Equinox - 01-22-2020

Tbf, if a player is good enough to get the highest salary at their position, and they're a max earner, they're probably already at the TPE cap for important stats anyway or will be there soon.

(01-22-2020, 04:26 PM)iseedoug Wrote:Another way to think about this is to implement something like the Franchise Tag in the NFL. Basically, you can only take min for a team so many times before it doubles, or is the average of the top 5 at position, etc. So essentially it becomes hard to keep players at min for very long.

Average of top 5 at position would be league min thou :thinking:

Minimum Contracts Again - iseedoug - 01-22-2020

(01-22-2020, 09:49 AM)Raven Wrote:Average of top 5 at position would be league min thou :thinking:

Well true, we would have to do something like double pay rather. NFL's is based on average is the only reason I said it.

(01-22-2020, 06:27 PM)iseedoug Wrote:Well true, we would have to do something like double pay rather. NFL's is based on average is the only reason I said it.

That's fair and joking aside it could work here aswell, because not everyone is min ofcourse. After what number of contracts would be be looking at, because I think with 2x 3 year max deals people can gather enough tpe to be over 800 and just take a long ass deal for min. So you would probably be looking at after signing their second contract or would it be after x amount of years with a team or playing?

Minimum Contracts Again - caltroit_red_flames - 01-22-2020

Rewarding players with TPE not from PTs

[Image: tenor.gif]