International Simulation Football League
(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Player Development (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=92)
+---- Forum: Archived Point Tasks (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=53)
+---- Thread: (S20) - PT2 - Role Model (/showthread.php?tid=18031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - Huskies311 - 01-27-2020

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model

Complete the weekly Point Task to earn 3 TPE! All written responses must be at least 200 words. All graphic responses must show at least some effort. Do not claim this TPE until it has been graded and posted to the S20 claim thread. Also, if you try to build your word count by being super repetitive and rambling on, you will not get full credit.

This task is due next Sunday, February 2nd, at 11:59 EST. Have fun and get writing!

Written Option: The passing of Kobe Bryant devasted many people in the world yesterday. In honor of him, this PT will be about your real world (or NSFL) sports role models. In a minimum of 200 words, reflect about what positive effects they have on either you or your NSFL persona.

Or

Graphic Option: Create a graphic of your player meeting your role model.

As always, you can link your affiliate PT:
SHL,
GOMHL,
PBE

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - Raven - 01-27-2020

Quote:Written Option: The passing of Kobe Bryant devasted many people in the world yesterday. In honor of him, this PT will be about your real world (or NSFL) sports role models. In a minimum of 200 words, reflect about what positive effects they have on either you or your NSFL persona.

Growing up Havran watched a bunch of NSFL games, he was old enough to remember the introduction of the league and grew up watching every player who has played. From a young age Corvo knew he was going to be a quarterback, so he drew a ton of insperation from all the quarterbacks who played through the years.

His idol as a kid was Mike Boss. Who took the league by storm and would win 5 quarterback of the year awards in 8 years. A player that successful had to become the idol of any inspiring quarterback. Counted as of the greatest players to take to the field as a quarterback in the NSFL Havran would take a lot of notes from his game. He would style his play towards that of a pocket passer and would try to copy Boss's throwing style. While he has now developed his own style he still likes to believe Boss had a huge influence in him finding his own style.

Havran remembers visiting a Arizona Outlaws games when they were playing the Otters and got to meet Boss. Telling him how he's going to play in the league one day as a quarterback.

Boss would sign and give a armband to him and Corvo still holds dearly to it to this day.

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - hihihi_62 - 01-27-2020

I'm going to take it way back to the year 2004 for this one. I was 11 years old and I was just becoming obsessed with football. I was a good Canadian boy and my dad got me hooked on his diehard favourite team, the Saskatchewan Roughriders. At that time the Riders had a speedy little all purpose back / kick returner by the name of Corey Holmes. The guy was electric every time the ball was in his hands and you never knew what was going to happen. I wasn't a very big kid and Corey was only like 5'8" so seeing a small guy be so dangerous on the field made me think that maybe I could be that good one day. I remember one day writing Corey a fan letter and mailing it off to Taylor Field where he played in hopes of getting a signed card or a letter in return. As I eagerly awaited for a reply my world came crashing down - Corey got traded to a different team. How could this be!? Why would the Roughriders trade their most exciting player!? I was devastated and never got a reply from him. He was my first real football hero and role model and a guy I won't soon forget.

RIP Mamba

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - juniped - 01-27-2020

I can’t say I’ve had one sports role model in my life. IF I had to boil it down to one though I would pick David Eckstein. I used to watch him when he played for the Angels in the early 2000s. He was someone who I saw as a very stand up kind of guy. He was a member of the NHS and other organizations that really showed what kind of guy he was. He wasn’t the biggest or the strongest player but He always played with drive. He even was the Inaugural winner of the 2005 MLB Heart and Hustle Award and a Babe Ruth Award winner. I thought that it was awesome how much effort he put into a sport that he has to play 162+ days a year, that was CRAZY. When I was younger I had a hard time putting that kind of motivation into anything, heck even now. But his effort still is something I’ve always strived to achieve. I know there are a lot of people like him and sports, and sure I’m sure most athletes try amazingly hard every day, but I didn’t grow up watching them and for that reason David Eckstein will always have a special place in my heart. Also he was a high contact guy who didn’t strike out, which I thought was amazing and that’s still my favorite kind of baseball.

(234 words)

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - BigUnitBabs - 01-27-2020

PBE PT

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - terriblehippo - 01-27-2020

Code:
295 words
In real life, I'm more of a basketball fan than a football fan. And as a basketball fan, my favorite team is the Boston Celtics. I suffered through the dark ages of the early 2000s, celebrated the championship in 2008, and have been rooting for the team through all the highs and lows since then. My sports role model is a Celtic, or at least was for a time. Out of all the talented players who have donned the Celtics jersey, Kevin Garnett has to be my absolute favorite.

Garnett was the most intense player I ever saw take the court. He battled on every possession, offensive or defensive. His intensity and passion was always on full display, even in interviews. "If you're gonna be anything in this league, you gotta have an edge," he said in one interview. "There's no room for soft."

That spoke volumes to me. Garnett played basketball with a laser focus and an unstoppable drive to win. That dedication (some might even say obsession) inspired me to work hard in my own life. I try to give one hundred percent of myself whenever I do anything, and I'm always working to identify my shortcomings and improve in areas where I'm weak. He's fierce and refuses to back down from any challenge or fight, and I try to imitate that (albeit to a much lesser degree). His example has driven me to work hard at anything and everything I set my mind to, including this league.

And, regarding Kobe, I'll simply leave you with this quote from the Celtics' radio announcer Sean Grande: "As Celtics fans, we didn't think Kobe Bryant could break our hearts one more time. We were wrong."

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - ddrector - 01-27-2020

In the real world of the NFL where everyone is a big persona and they all act like they are the best there ever was there was a humble man from Ohio that kept quiet, but outplayed almost everyone on the field. Luke Kuechly is my real life athlete role model. He was constantly working to get better at the game even when he was considered the best at his position. Ron Rivera had to kick him out of the building on Christmas Eve because he snuck in to study more film instead of celebrate the holidays. He refused to have anything in his house that would distract him from watching film, so he didn't have cable or anything. The man was a workhorse and I also respect him for knowing it was time to call it a career when he did before his brain got turned to mush (it might have anyways, hopefully not). It was so much fun watching him play for the Panthers these past 8 seasons. He significantly elevated the defense and was a big reason we got to the Super Bowl a few years back. I can't wait to visit Canton, Ohio in a few years to see his hall of fame shrine when he is inducted as he surely will be. He'll be the first Panther that never played for another team to be in the hall of fame. A huge honor. I'm gonna miss him on the field, but I'm just glad I was there to see it happen.

Code:
256 Words

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - ValorX77 - 01-27-2020

When leaf was in high school, he looked up to one of his many idols at first in the QB position then later at the defensive line position. The first of his idols was Wraiths legend Mat Askelen, the legendary dual threat QB nobody wanted to tackle, because of how easily he can get out of tackle and strike a deep ball for a touchdown most likely to Dermot Lavelle Sr. Outside of the sim, I do have a personal favorite player that does not play football but rather ice hockey, the great 8 himself, Alexander Ovechkin, for many years, he and his Capitals were plagued with early playoff failures, but in 2018 everything changed, after one of his teammates scored an OT game winner to send the caps to the conference final, they came back from a 3-2 game deficit to win a game 7, only to watch Ovi hoist the cup for the first time ever.
Another idol leaf had when he was young was Avon Blocksdale, similar to Ovi, he was forced to deal with early exits and failures of securing an Ultimus, until S10, they finished 13-1, the league’s best record, and a home Ultimus, they slaughtered NOLA who beat them before, in last seasons Ultimus.
(210 words)

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - KoltClassic - 01-27-2020

Growing up, Otis Allen was not a fan of football. The Allen family was gifted athletically, but nobody in the family had grown up playing football or being involved in it whatsoever. In his more formative years Otis was very interested in professional wrestling. Wrestling was topical to his athletic career as a wrestler in middle school and junior high, but he also loved the drama and the fanfare that professional wrestling brought. Seeing larger-than-life characters play out these intricate storylines was fascinating to Otis, and he spent his days impersonating the wrestlers he saw on TV, pretending to be in wrestling feuds with his friends and having bouts on the playground.

It wasn't until his high school years when Otis began his career as a track and field star that he learned about Lawrence Okoye. Okoye was not a professional wrestler, but was a discus thrower who would eventually play in the NFL. Allen's career path would eventually become quite similar to Okoye's ( besides some differences in personal issues ), which led Allen to see Okoye as quite an inspiration. During Allen's switch from track and field to football during his freshman year of college, he was often quite hard on himself for not being at the level of technical talent that his peers were. Riding the bench was unfamiliar to Allen who had been a star throughout college, so having Okoye's story in the back of his mind to help him remember that a switch like this was possible was very reassuring for Otis.

(S20) - PT2 - Role Model - MN_Moosey - 01-27-2020

Most people will say that their sports role model is from one of the big 4 in the United States or Association Football. My role model is from none of these sports. Her name is Mariel Zagunis and she is an Olympic fencer. She will forever be known as the first American, not the first female American, but the first American to ever win gold in the sport. She won back to back individual gold medals in Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008) in her discipline of the sabre. She is the most decorated athlete in the history of USA fencing. She is the sole reason I decided to join fencing when I was in middle school. I joined my local community program and was instantly hooked. It’s a sport that I hold dear to my heart even though I have not been able to participate since I was 17 years old. Everyone usually watches swimming, beach volleyball, or track and field when the summer Olympics come around. Those are the sports that are televised nationally, but I will always find a way to watch the fencing events. It is a sport that has taught me how to face adversity, comradery, and sportsmanship. Everything I have learned through my fencing career, stems down to one woman, one athlete who inspired me to try something new.