International Simulation Football League
DSFL Management Turnover - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Discussion (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: DSFL Management Turnover (/showthread.php?tid=18061)

DSFL Management Turnover - caltroit_red_flames - 01-30-2020

There's A LOT of turnover in the DSFL when it comes to management. Whether it's because these users move on to different opportunities, are burnt out, or are forced out it's undeniable that there's a lot of turnover for GMs in the DSFL.

Has there been any looking into ways to make being a manager in the DSFL more streamlined? The job of DSFL GM first and foremost should be to keep their players engaged and active. After that you try to win. The Buccaneers discord has morphed from a ghost town to an active place with people chatting daily. Regardless of if they ever win an ultimini that's a success.

So is there a way to reduce the number of duties they have or something? Consistency in management will breed tight locker rooms which in turn will breed more activity from new users.

DSFL Management Turnover - scorycory - 01-30-2020

Myrtle Beach Best Beach

DSFL Management Turnover - timeconsumer - 01-30-2020

I don't think it's the trying to win that's the bulk of the duties. DSFL GM is tough because there's a lot of stuff to do in a short period of time.

As soon as the offseason hits you have to figure out which of your inactives are no longer DSFL eligible and remove them from your roster. Then you need to prepare your draft board and possibly send a bunch of scouting messages. Then you need to actually draft which often means getting pinged for your turn at an inopportune time and needing to make a selection off the top of your head to keep the draft going (RIP Mister Big Chest).

This is about the time where you need to make sure you get your votes in for awards also. You need to be fair to everyone and spend the time on the research for who did what where and who is active and who isn't. Phone this one in and you'll almost assuredly hear about it.

Once the draft is complete it's time to start figuring out your depth chart and make sure your players all get enough playtime and snaps so they still have fun and/or comply with the rules. Don't forget this is the time you need to put in your orders for your bots and fillers also now that you have your depth chart needs figured out. Delay any of this and it really screws up the simmer.

Now you have your depth chart entered, strats set, bots built and loaded and all is well. But now the draft stream happens and you're inviting all those cool new draftees to your locker room. They have questions. They need guidance and leadership on how to build and how to play.

This has all been in the span of two weeks and you haven't done a single thing about actually trying to win a game. This is just your normal clerical duties. I don't know how much if anything can be removed or streamlined but honestly my best advice is get help if you need it and don't procrastinate.

EDIT: I also forgot chasing down NSFL GMs to figure out who is getting called up and who isn't. Sure they have a deadline for this but man it sure helps to find out way earlier than that.

DSFL Management Turnover - Hallmonitor_20 - 01-30-2020

I love you Christmas Cal.

MB = Best B

BBB BBB BBB

DSFL Management Turnover - Hallmonitor_20 - 01-30-2020

TC is 100000% correct. Theres so much to the GMing that has nothing to do with games.

You want to build a locker room so the guys you do draft have fun and you draft based on 1-2 weeks of activity and hope to keep them around. For a lot of people especially in these bigger classes you're the first thing they see and if they don't like your LR or your GM style then they can leave and never look back.

DSFL GMs are basically what keeps players around and I'd argue the most important jobs for player retention.

DSFL Management Turnover - nunccoepi - 01-30-2020

I'll Second what TC said. But I'll actually go farther and say that being a DSFL GM is actually easier than being a NSFL GM imo.

I especially agree with the fact about DSFL GMs being the most important jobs. I've said that for a long time.

And you're right that there is more turnover in the DSFL GM positions, but I haven't notice an increase in turnover necessarily. The reason that DSFL GMs have such high turnover, imo, is that because we generally let more inexperienced people be GMs in the DSFL first to get experience. And then if they do well they move up to the NSFL which leaves an opening in the DSFL. But because the new guys are are inexperienced, they strike out more, which leaves an opening in the DSFL.

I do think the onboarding procedure for GMing could be better as of the last time I was a GM, but that was a few months ago. Because imagine all those things that TC mentioned, but you're a new GM and you've been basically thrown in there (in the off season which is the busy season) and your last GM ditched you because that's often what happens. I'm actually working on something that might help with some of this. But it isn't a perfect system by any means.