International Simulation Football League
*Merv's Corner #5 - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *Merv's Corner #5 (/showthread.php?tid=19369)

*Merv's Corner #5 - hihihi_62 - 02-23-2020

Well, I haven't made a media post since September 23, 2019 but unfortunately I just checked my bank account and the Twitter Welfare isn't quite covering the ridiculously high cost of living in Yellowknife so SURPRISE it's time for another edition of "Merv's Corner".

In today's episode I'm going to re-visit the first round of the Season 17 NSFL draft and with the wonder of 20/20 vision rate and re-draft the top talent.

#1. AUS - Bubba Thumper DT

Coming into the draft there was very little doubt in anyones mind who the Copperheads would be taking with the number one overall pick. User run_cmc was a re-create who had been in the league for several years and his RB, Ashley Owens was coming into the draft with a fairly comfortable TPE lead over the rest of the class. That being said there was some intrigue surrounding the pick as the Copperheads had drafted a RB the season prior in Mako Mendonca who was an active, up and coming star. In the end the Copperheads selected Owens who was productive alongside Mendonca for two seasons before deciding to leave the team during his third year option.

During our re-draft i have the Copperheads selecting Bubba Thumper with their number one choice. Coming into the draft Bubba was a media MACHINE which had him near the top of lots of draft boards although the allure of the re-create Owens was too much for Thumper to overcome. Bubba has since overtaken every member of Season 17 in terms of TPE and has proven himself as a stud on the field with a Pro Bowl resume. With Mendonca already on the roster the Copperheads could have taken this media stud who could've been the anchor of their defence for years to come.

#2. COL - Ashley Owens RB

In the original season 17 draft the yeti were quick to pounce on the previously mentioned Bubba Thumper with their number 2 pick. Unfortunately for them though, in this fantasy world re-draft Bubba was taken first overall. That being said the Yeti are elated to look down at their draft boards and quickly snatch up Owens with the number two overall pick. Owens actually left the Copperheads for the Yeti prior to Season 20 and had himself a career year now that he no longer had to share carries with Mendonca. Owens now sits 3rd overall in terms of overall TPE for S17 draftees but he is a reliable user who is an absolute machine running and catching the ball out of the backfield for the Yeti. No lost sleep over this pick for them.

#3. NOLA - Tyron Brackenridge S

Corner Back Jordan Andrews looked to be the perfect match for New Orleans coming into the season 17 draft. They were in need of secondary help and Andrews just happened to be the highest earning DB in the class. The Secondline quickly snatched him with their third overall pick. Unfortunately things didn't quite work out as well as the team had hoped. Although Andrews still checks in periodically and remains semi active he goes long stretches without updating and as of writing this sits at 524 TPE, well below many of the other players who were drafted after him.

With their re-pick New Orleans sprints up to the podium and selects Tyron Brackenridge who entered the draft as a Safety. Tyron entered the draft 18 TPE behind Andrews but has gone on to assert himself as a force on the NSFL stage acquiring the second most TPE of the Season 17 draft class at the time of writing this article. Tyron has had a successful and consistent career thus far with the Sabercats and has put up very impressive numbers the past two seasons including a performance in Season 19 that was worthy of defensive player of the year consideration.

#4 BAL - Saba Donut WR

This pick was initially chosen by the Baltimore Hawks who chose DT Brayden Ennis but Ennis would be traded to the Secondline later in the draft. Much like Bubba Thumper, Brayden Ennis was a highly active user on the the forum and Discord coming into the draft. Although there were users higher in TPE still available on the draft board at this time his high activity level attracted the Baltimore GMs to select Ennis with he number 4 pick. Well, Ennis has gone on to have a bit of a tumultuous run thus far and only lasted one season in New Orleans before being traded to Austin for a year.

Well, in this re-draft the Hawks decided to keep the number four pick and selected another highly active Season 17 user in Saba Donut. Coming into the draft Saba was amongst the top TPE earners and was very active on the Discord. To the surprise of some Saba slipped to number 9 in the real draft. Although Saba himself has encountered several speed bumps in the course of his time here at the NSFL he has continued to be a very consistent and active member and currently sits fourth among all Season 17 users in terms of Total TPE. Saba has been steadily improving on the field as well and had his best season yet in Season 20, finishing the year fourth overall in receiving yards and second in TD receptions by a WR.

#5 SJS - Mervin Leonard CB

Well, the Sabercats initially picked themselves a stud in Safety Tyron Brackenridge but unfortunately for them in this re-draft he was already taken off the board by New Orleans with the third Overall pick. Lucky for them there is still another solid secondary option available on the board and his name is Mervin Leonard. Leonard was coming into the draft behind some of the above listed guys in total TPE but had been an active member and had actually earned himself DSFL DB and Defensive player of the year honours coming into the draft. Although he isn't super active in posting media until he's broke, Leonard has remained consistent and active and is currently fifth among Season 17 users up until this point.

#6 YKW - Dexter Banks WR

Coming into this draft the Wraiths were fairly loaded with talent but had some aging Defensive Backs that they ended up replacing with Mervin Leonard who has continued to be a force on their defence. With their re-pick I have the Wraiths taking WR Dexter Banks. In the original draft this guy slipped to number 8 even though he was the number two overall earner in total TPE coming into the draft. Well, Banks has managed to stay a very consistent user and has performed strongly on the field. Although the Wraiths didn't necessarily need another receiver coming into this draft it would've given Cooter Bigsby yet another target on the offensive side of the ball to light the scoreboard up with.

#7 OCO - Honda Edmond LB

In the original draft the Otters actually took Edmond with their seventh overall pick and although he would later be traded to the Copperheads prior to his rookie season he's still the pick here based on the fact that he continues to be a consistent TPE earner and an impressive performer on the field. Honda is a consistent 80 tackle LB and helped lead the Copperheads defence en route to an Ultimus win this past season.

#8 OCO - Brayden Ennis DT

Dexter Banks was the initial pick here and he has been a homerun for the Otters en route to numerous Ultimus wins but with the Wraiths taking him at number 6 they are forced to go back to their draft boards and settle on the young stud Ennis. As mentioned earlier he has had a bit of a tumultuous time here in the NSFL but he is overall a very consistent user and has proven that although there may be some speed bumps he will consistently earn TPE and perform on the field. The Otters manage to snag themselves back to back young future defensive stars who will solidify their defence for years to come.

#9 ARI - Action Jackson WR

This guy was not a happy camper in the real draft when he slid into the second round as he thought that although he may have trailed slightly in TPE his on the field and in forum/discord activity had made him someone GMs should've taken higher. Well in the re-draft his dream of being a first round pick comes true. The Outlaws initially took Saba Donut at WR but with him off the board earlier in round one they go ahead and take another young rookie receiver to shore up their passing game. Action has managed to be the tenth overall TPE earner and although there is one other player higher than him in current TPE still available on the board I think this pairing just seems right.

#10 PHI - Julian McMorris CB

With the 10th overall selection in the original draft guess who the Liberty took...McMorris and they still get their guy in this re-draft! McMorris was definitely one of the best still available on the board during the original draft and guess what, he is too in the re-draft. McMorris has been a key member of the Liberty during his time in the league and even earned a Pro Bowl nod which only 6 of the 56 total members of Season 17 can put on their resumes. McMorris has been a consistent and reliable member and currently sits 9th overall in total TPE for the class.

That was fun, who knows maybe I'll be more active in Media. Until then please pay me so I can afford to feed my children.

Merv

1619 Words

*Merv's Corner #5 - SabaDonutMan - 02-23-2020

We miss you in cord ;-;

<3 POR 4lyfe

*Merv's Corner #5 - AdamS - 02-23-2020

I hate you.

*Merv's Corner #5 - run_CMC - 02-23-2020

I love you Smile

excellent article. Always nice having a look back at this draft class

*Merv's Corner #5 - hihihi_62 - 02-23-2020

I love you all, even Adam ??