International Simulation Football League
*S21 NSFL Mock Draft - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *S21 NSFL Mock Draft (/showthread.php?tid=19413)

*S21 NSFL Mock Draft - RansackTheUniverse - 02-25-2020

With the season 21 NSFL draft fast approaching, I figured I’d take a crack at putting a mock draft together. There are lots of great potential players that will be entering the league this season and it will be interesting to see where they all end up.

Round 1

1) Orange County OCO Immanuel Blackstone – DE Tijuana Luchadores
The Orange County Otters went 7-6 last season and could go in plenty of directions with this pick, as they have quite a few holes they will be looking to fill this offseason. Running back, tight end, and defensive line are their biggest positions of need. Luckily for them, there are great options available at all of these positions with this pick. Players like Dax Frost, Osiris Firestorm-Fjord, and Leon Mcdavid are all players that would provide another playmaking option to an already dangerous Otters offense. With that said, the Otters are in desperate need of help at the defensive line. Otis Allen is an option here, as he would provide an instant boost to the interior of the d line, but I think the Otters select Immanuel Blackstone with his pick. Blackstone is one of the top players in the draft class, and plays at an important position. Combine that with the need the Otters have at the position, and it’s hard to see them passing on Immanuel here. Luckily for the Otters, they have 3 more picks in the first 3 rounds, which should allow them to address other holes on their roster.

2) San Jose SJS Prince Vegeta – S Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
The San Jose SaberCats had their share of struggles last season, finishing 5-8 and last in the ASFC. With the 2nd overall pick, the SaberCats will be looking to add an impact player. San Jose also has the 4th pick in the draft, so that will be something to keep in mind when making a decision here. They will likely be targeting a defensive player here, as they allowed over 32 points per game last season, and have holes all across their defense. There are plenty of options here, including linebackers Douglas Quaid and Holden Summers, and cornerback HeHateMe PickSix. But with Blackstone already off the board, I think the clear choice here is Prince Vegeta. Vegeta is the leading TPE earner in this draft class, and arguably represents the best player available. The SaberCats have some serviceable players in their secondary, but is missing the type of potential game changer that Vegeta represents.

3) Philadelphia PHI Otis Allen – DT Portland Pythons
The Philadelphia Liberty have the 3rd overall pick and will be looking to improve upon their 5-8 record last season. The Liberty’s offense struggled mightily on offense last season, but with QB Brock Phoenix and TE Avon Blocksdale Jr. both entering their 3rd seasons, there are better days ahead for this group. Philadelphia could look to Chris Kross here. As the top WR in this class, Kross would be joining an already young and talented receiving corps. The Liberty have greater needs, but picking Kross here could help to solidify their offense as one of the best in the league for years to come. Moving to the defensive side of the ball, the Liberty have major holes at linebacker and defensive tackle. Otis Allen looks like a stud at defensive tackle, while Douglas Quaid and Holden Summers are the top linebackers in this class. At the end of the day, I think the Liberty go with the best player out of this group, and select Otis Allen to anchor their defense for years to come.

4) San Jose SJS HeHateMe PickSix - CB Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
After taking Prince Vegeta at #2 overall, San Jose is once again on the clock with pick #4 and the chance to add even more help to that struggling defense. Everyone I mentioned above as options for the SaberCats at #2 is still available here, so they will likely be deciding between the top two linebackers and HeHateMe PickSix here. They will likely also be considering Dax Frost here at running back, but youngster Quindarius Tyerucker has shown some flashes and could get another year to solidify himself as the lead back. You could argue that Quaid and Summers are better prospects than PickSix, but this linebacker class is quite deep, and there will likely be good options left for San Jose at pick 12. Because of this, and the lack of cornerback depth in the draft, I think the San Jose SaberCats will select HeHateMe PickSix with the 4th pick.

5) Baltimore BAL Douglas Quaid – LB Kansas City Coyotes
With the 5th pick of the S21 NSFL Draft we have the Baltimore Hawks. The Hawks finished the season 6-7, but faltered down the stretch, winning just one of their final six games. The Hawks don’t have many glaring weaknesses, but they could use help in quite a few places. Defensive tackle and linebacker are arguably their greatest needs, but they could also use some help at corner, wide receiver, and defensive end. They have one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Corvo Havran, but will need to start looking for his replacement soon. As it is the most important position, an argument can be made for them to take one of the top two QBs in the draft in George O’Donnell or Zero Two, but I think hold off for now and look elsewhere with this pick. With three or four solid DTs still on the board, I think they address another need and hope that at least one is available for their next pick. Douglas Quaid, Holden Summers, and Chris Kross all represent great value at the 5th pick, and I think the Hawks go with Quaid here.

6) Chicago CHI Holden Summers – LB Minnesota Grey Ducks
The Butchers went 4-9 this season and after trading away what would have been the top pick in the draft, are left with only two picks in the first 5 rounds. They could look to trade down here as they have plenty of areas of need, but for simplicity’s sake I’ll go with the assumption that they keep the pick. Chicago has some talent on offense, but are in desperate need of a tight end. However, with holes all over their defense, I’m guessing that this pick will try to address that. They could use help on all level of their defense – the line, linebackers, and the secondary, so they will possibly be looking to just take the best defensive talent left on the board. With the shocking retirement announcement by safety Matt Murphy, the Butchers have a tough decision on their hands. There are a slew of great defensive lineman, including Pete “Plop” Miller, still available, but I predict that the Butchers will take Holden Summers with this pick. With star linebacker Leighton Lee nearing retirement, Chicago will look for Summers to step into a leadership role and be the quarterback of the defense sooner rather than later.

7) Colorado COL Chris Kross – WR Kansas City Coyotes
We’re now 6 picks into the draft, and we’ve yet to see an offensive player get picked. Will the Yeti change that? Let’s find out. Colorado’s offense was slightly below average in most categories last season, but they’ve got a lot of talented players that are just entering their prime. If Earl Sauce and Ashley Owens stay motivated, this offense could be a force. With that said, their star receiver James Bishop has started to show signs of regression, and drafting his eventual replacement here is a real option. Looking to the defensive side of things, the story is similar – not a whole lot of glaring holes. They do need a second DT to line up next to Bubba Thumper, and after letting Logan Lejune hit free agency, they only have one safety on the roster. Unfortunately for Colorado, after Prince Vegeta there is not a whole lot of safety talent in this draft class. While the Yeti could look to trade up if Vegeta falls past the first couple picks, I think they take the first offensive player in the draft by snagging wide receiver Chris Kross. Colorado will likely be ecstatic with this as many analysts had Kross pegged as a top 5 pick.

8) New Orleans NOLA Chip Otle – DE Kansas City Coyotes
Next on the clock, we have New Orleans Second Line, who went 7-6 last season. Much like the Yeti, New Orleans is a team without many major holes on its roster. They do need a safety, as they have no one of note other than Mason Blaylock. Unfortunately as mentioned above, Prince Vegeta is the only top safety prospect in this draft class. Other areas of need for the Second Line are defensive end and quarterback, as they are in a position where they could start developing a young QB to eventually take the reigns from Stan Francisco, who is likely to start showing signs of regression. With that said, I have a feeling New Orleans will hold off on a quarterback for now, and will instead take the best defensive end prospect still on the board, Chip Otle. New Orleans is in a great position to be a contender for years to come, and Chip will be a big part of that.

9) YellowKnife YKW Osiris Firestorm-Fjord – TE Portland Pythons
The YellowKnife Wraiths have the 9th pick of the draft after coming up just short in their pursuit of the Ultimus trophy last season. The Wraiths have a very talented roster, however they also have one of the older rosters in the league. They will have to begin looking for younger options at quarterback, wide receiver, and corner, however they do have more pressing needs at the moment. Defensive tackle is easily their biggest need, and they could also use a tight end and a linebacker. Also, let’s not forget that one of the biggest talents in the draft, Dax Frost is still available. While running back isn’t a position of need for YellowKnife, Dax has to be a consideration with how far he’s fallen. Tight end Osiris Firestorm-Fjord is another player that many expected to be taken by now. Fortunately for the Wraiths, this lines up perfectly with their needs. There are several solid options still available at defensive tackle, but the upside presented by Firestorm-Fjord is too much to pass on. Yellowknife gets their tight end of the future here.

10) Austin AUS - Pete “Plop” Miller - DT Norfolk Seawolves
With the final pick of the first round, we have the Ultimus winning Austin Copperheads. As you would expect, the Copperheads are loaded with talent on both offense and defense. That being said, there are a few positions that they could improve in. Defensive tackle, linebacker, and corner are all needs for Austin, with DT likely being the biggest concern. Rotticus Scott, Trevor Mouseman, and Perry Tucker Jr are all viable options here, but I have a feeling Austin goes with a DT here, and hopes that one of the three listed players is still available with their 2nd round pick. Between Sardine Beaner, Pete Miller, and Riles McTackle, the Copperheads really can’t go wrong here. Some might consider it a surprise, but I think Austin goes with Pete Miller here.

That concludes round 1. With eight defensive players picked and only two on offense, there is plenty of talent still available as we enter round two. Round 1 saw some picks that everyone was expecting, as well as a few surprises. The biggest surprise has to be Dax Frost, who was one of the highest TPE earners in the entire class, falling to the second round. You can be sure that whoever he falls to will be feeling very fortunate.

Round 2

11) Chicago CHI - Leon McDavid – TE Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
The Chicago Butchers are back on the clock with the first pick of the second round. Unless they make a trade, this will be Chicago’s last pick until the 6th round. The Butchers know that they can’t afford to miss with this pick. After taking a linebacker in round 1, Chicago could double down on defense here and take one of the talented DTs still on the board in Sardine Beaner and Riles McTackle. On the other hand, tight end is still a massive concern, and defensive tackle may be easier to address outside of the draft. As a result, I think the Butchers draft one of the top talents still available, Leon McDavid. McDavid has the talent to come in and start right away for the Butchers, and if he stays motivated he could be an integral piece of their offense for years to come.

12) San Jose SJS – Dax Frost – RB Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
The SaberCats addressed their secondary in a big way in round one, adding the top corner and the top safety in the class. San Jose could add another piece to their defense here, but with Douglas Quaid and Holden Summers already picked, they likely avoid reaching here for the second tier of linebackers. San Jose may have wanted to give running back Quindarious Tyerucker another year to prove himself, but I don’t think they ever expected to find Dax Frost still available here at pick 12. No way do they pass him up here. This would be the steal of the draft if things unfold like this.

13) Orange County OCO - Baby Yoda – RB Minnesota Grey Ducks
After filling a big hole at defensive end in round one by selecting Immanuel Blackstone, the Otters have the opportunity to fill another with this pick. They may have just missed out on Dax Frost and Leon McDavid, but there are still plenty of solid options here. Orange County’s decision here will likely come down to Sardine Beaner, Riles McTackle, and Baby Yoda. My gut says the Otters choose offense here and draft Baby Yoda to be their running back of the future.

14) Arizona ARI - Logan Noble Jr – DE Portland Pythons
Almost a round and a half into the draft and the Arizona Outlaws finally have their first pick of the night. The Outlaws finished 7-6 last season, and will look to improve on that this season. Their offense was pretty average last year, but they are quite young and stand to improve at every offensive position without adding any pieces. Their defense on the other hand, has some holes that they will need to address. Linebacker and defensive end will definitely be their main positions to target entering the draft. Something to keep in mind here is that the Outlaws have four of the next twelve picks in the draft. This gives them the option to go best player available here, and to then worry about filling holes with later picks. If they were to do this, it would likely result in them picking receiver Jerome Davis. However with three young, talented receivers already on the roster, taking another one here might be overkill. With no other players that really stand out from the crowd, the Outlaws decide to address the problem and defensive end, and draft Logan Noble Jr of the Pythons. Trevor Mouseman and Perry Tucker Jr both look like good linebacker prospects, and with Arizona’s next selection being only two picks away, they are guaranteed to get one of them if they so choose.

15) Baltimore BAL - Jerome Davis – WR Minnesota Grey Ducks
Here at pick 15, there are a few players the Hawks will be looking at. Jerome Davis is the only non-kicker left on the board with over 200 TPE. On top of that, he represents a position of need for Baltimore at wide receiver. The Hawks will probably be looking at Davis and the two remaining top DTs out there. Both positions are quite deep in this draft, so Baltimore could realistically target either spot later in the draft. It appears that Davis is the biggest talent of the three, and for that reason I think the Hawks take the wide receiver here.

16) Arizona ARI - Sardine Beaner – DT Minnesota Grey Ducks
The Outlaws are back on the clock, and both Mouseman and Tucker Jr are still on the board. Though, in a bit of a surprise move, I think Arizona decides to take a chance and hope that they can add one of these linebackers in round 3. Instead they decide to look to defensive tackle Sardine Beaner here. While not exactly a position of need, there is a very real chance that Beaner could end up being the best DT on the roster in just a few seasons. There’s also always the chance that the Outlaws will look to one of their players to make a position change in order to address their needs.

17) Colorado COL - Riles McTackle – DT Kansas City Coyotes
The Yeti added talented wide receiver Chris Kross to what looks to be an already explosive offense. It should be a no brainer for them to look to the defensive side of the ball here. Luckily for them, arguably the defensive player left on the board, Riles McTackle, lines up perfectly with their need at DT. If things play out this way this should be a fairly straightforward pick for the Yeti.

18) New Orlean NOLA - Simon Tremblay – OL Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
After drafting Chip Otle in round one, New Orleans has addressed their only real need entering the season. They have a very solid roster from top to bottom. This leaves them with some options here that most teams don’t have the luxury of considering. They can take a QB or WR, so that when age inevitably catches up to QB Stan Francisco and WR Bona’beri Jones, they will have someone ready to step in without missing a beat. They could also make a pick that will help minimize any losses in the inevitable NSFL Expansion Draft next year. Finally, they could take the clear top o line prospect in the draft class, Simon Tremblay, and continue to build an offensive line of real users. With an already stacked roster, building an o line that separates itself from the standard o line of bots, could be the final piece that bring the Ultimus trophy home to New Orleans. I believe they will go in this direction and ultimately draft Tremblay here.

19) Yellowknife YKW - Rapid Eagle – DT Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
YellowKnife has to be salivating as they watched DTs Sardine Beaner and Riles McTackle continue to fall down the board. Unfortunately for them, neither made it here to pick 19. As a result, the Wraiths will surely consider QBs George O’Donnell and Zero Two here. A late second round pick is a great bargain for what could easily end up being their QB of the future. While this is surely enticing, YellowKnife can’t pass up the talented Rapid Eagle, giving them the defensive tackle they are desperate for.

20) Austin AUS - Rotticus Scott – CB Myrtle Beach Buccaneers
After picking DT Pete Miller with the 10th overall pick, the Copperheads were hoping to find one of Rotticus Scott, Trevor Mouseman, and Perry Tucker Jr still available for them here. I’m sure they weren’t expecting to find all three of them still on the board, but that’s exactly what happened. Mouseman and Tucker Jr will surely turn out to be great players, but Rotticus Scott is the only viable option left at cornerback in the draft. The Copperheads will hope and pray for the chance to draft one of these linebackers at pick 30, but I think deep down they know that if they want one of them, they will have to trade up.

And just like that, round 2 is in the books. There are still plenty of great players available, especially on offense. Round 3 and beyond will definitely be worth following, but this is where my mock draft will end. Sorry to all the players I didn’t include here. You’ll all have the chance to prove me wrong! Thanks to everyone for reading!

*S21 NSFL Mock Draft - HENDRIX 2.0 - 02-25-2020

Nice job!

*S21 NSFL Mock Draft - Starboy - 02-25-2020

Amazing to see all these Coyotes mocked so high. Just wish we could’ve given them more to be proud about