International Simulation Football League
*A Look Into NSFL Expansion Week 1 St Louis - Printable Version

+- International Simulation Football League (https://forums.sim-football.com)
+-- Forum: Community (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Media (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Graded Articles (https://forums.sim-football.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+---- Thread: *A Look Into NSFL Expansion Week 1 St Louis (/showthread.php?tid=19556)

*A Look Into NSFL Expansion Week 1 St Louis - Thiath - 02-28-2020

Over the coming weeks, I’ll be taking a look at the potential NSFL expansion franchises I recently proposed, which you can find here

This week, we’ll be taking a closer look at the proposal for a St. Louis franchise, and I’ll be giving it a composite score based on a few factors, fan interest, it’s location in relation to other NSFL teams,risk factor, the local areas economy, and overall feasibility.

Fan Interest

As I briefly mentioned in my previous post on the subject, St. Louis has a very avid fan base, no matter the sport. With very little competition from other leagues, it seems like an easy way for the NSFL to quickly garner new fans. However, St. Louis sports teams have a history of jumping ship for larger markets, so while it is easy for them to root for their home teams, gaining that trust in the first place will prove quite the challenge for even the most experienced league office.

What St. Louis fans are most looking for in a new franchise is loyalty and trust, they want a team that will be in it for the long haul, and not a quick cash grab. The challenge of putting an NSFL franchise in the city, is whether or not this trust would be gained in the first few seasons. If the league cannot quickly earn the support of the local audience, it may in veritably become a losing venture, and while at the moment the league is not overly concerned with its finances, it would be wise to keep that in mind.

St Louis, alongside San Diego, are the closest to already existing NSFL franchises, their closest rivals being Kansas City and Tijuana respectively. This creates an interesting situation, where not only does a a franchise in Missouri have to fight for its own local fan base, it also has to be competitive enough to contest with the nearby Coyotes, while they are a DSFL team it’s important to remember how loyal the fans are. Other teams in close proximity are the Yeti, Butchers, Copperheads and Birddogs. With the Birddogs being the newest franchise on this list, it’s much harder to tell how the fan base will affect a potential expansion into St. Louis, and with the Copperheads being the most recent winner of the Ultimus, it’s not doubt a large group of people will flock to the team. Overall, it could be more difficult for an owner to establish a following there than previously anticipated.

Economy

Arguably the most important metric on a list like this for wealthy owners, is it profitable? That can be a difficult question to answer, as although the city had a fairly decent year in 2019, many economists are speculating whether or not similar levels of growth remain sustainable. More and more jobs are leaving the area, but that could be a blessing in disguise for the league, perhaps some city officials could see it as a golden opportunity to bring back jobs and attract more people to the area. Obviously, it could just as well be a gamble some are less keen to take, if so many jobs are leaving there must be a reason, perhaps the smart decision is to take a minute and look more closely at the city.

Rankings

Fan Interest: 7.5/10

Economy: 6/10

Risk Factor: 5/10

Overall: 6/10

This may be a shock to some, but St Louis may be a shining example of something that’s too good to be true. While it cannot be understated just how vocal the fans in the area have been, It’s important to take a look at things from the owners point of view. To the dismay of some, St. Louis does have some flaws that a reasonable owner would be wise to take seriously, all that being said, someone could quite possibly find incredible success in the area if they play their cards right.

*A Look Into NSFL Expansion Week 1 St Louis - goodfortunecoffee - 02-28-2020

Love it! I've got a couple of expansion team ideas brewing too...